Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,537 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) (34431 Views)

Lizard Meat: How A Nigerian Man Is Surviving Nigeria 2024 (Pics/ Videos) / How I Prepared 2 Yam Delicacies. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics And Videos) / Russians Eating Egusi Soup And Eba For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by VeryWickedMan: 6:03am On Jul 05, 2022
arantess:

What is swallow? Which food is swallow?

Do you inhale every other food?

You chew them, genius.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by Nobody: 6:05am On Jul 05, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
Patiently waiting for when these female food section competitors run out of Naija recipes

AHAHAHAHA. Watch out for another competitor avenging this thread.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by LIVEGOESON1: 6:40am On Jul 05, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
Patiently waiting for when these female food section competitors run out of Naija recipes
Verywickedhumanbeing indeed everyday new thing de come out
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by 10kgod(m): 6:43am On Jul 05, 2022
ama19:
Hi Nairalanders!
Egusi soup is arguably the most popular soup in Nigeria and I have made it using 2 distinct methods : the tomatoes frying method and the soaking method. Please see below for details of how I prepared each type and let me know which method that you prefer smiley smiley

Method 1 : Tomatoes frying Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQo0fP-FwtA

INGREDIENTS
Egusi 3 cups (grinded to powder)
Beef
Stockfish
Smoked fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
blended Fresh tomatoes and pepper
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning cubes and salt
Water

Method 2 : Soaking Method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtlGb3WDtMo

INGREDIENTS
Goat meat
Stockfish
Dried fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
Uziza leaves
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning Cubes and salt
Water

Kudos.

Sorry, it's unrelated but I have to say this. The inner part of the first non-sticky pot is fading. Time to change it. It's not safe again.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by eziemich: 7:20am On Jul 05, 2022
@op
I want to try that tomatoes type. Did u use any soup hardener like achi or offor ?
Again before u added the tomatoes, it's like you've previously cooked or fried it dry, which one?
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by phemmyfour: 7:39am On Jul 05, 2022
ama19:
Hi Nairalanders!
Egusi soup is arguably the most popular soup in Nigeria and I have made it using 2 distinct methods : the tomatoes frying method and the soaking method. Please see below for details of how I prepared each type and let me know which method that you prefer smiley smiley

INGREDIENTS
Beef
Stockfish
Smoked fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning cubes and salt
Water

INGREDIENTS
Goat meat
Stockfish
Dried fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
Uziza leaves
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning Cubes and salt
Water
Frying free method all the way. Frying reduces nutrients quality in our food
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by harmony75: 8:08am On Jul 05, 2022
Delicious � seeing that pomo im going to cook mine today but it will be ogbono with vegetables �
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by AkorBishop: 8:13am On Jul 05, 2022
ama19:
Hi Nairalanders!

INGREDIENTS
Beef
Stockfish
Smoked fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning cubes and salt
Water

INGREDIENTS
Goat meat
Stockfish
Dried fish
Crayfish
Kpomo (cow skin)
Uziza leaves
Vegetable (ugu leaves)
Red oil
Seasoning Cubes and salt
Water

This is superB
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 8:58am On Jul 05, 2022
AZControversial:
Method 1

Nice one, method 1 appears to be winning this contest. cheesy
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 8:59am On Jul 05, 2022
pocohantas:

We have a Food Section, just like we have Romance, Travel and Politics. It is good that the Food section is now getting traffic and publicity.

@Ama, I would go for the second.

@pocohantas, very good choice! smiley
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:02am On Jul 05, 2022
aktolly54:
Op next time you are boiling meat ,don't put plenty water at first. Reduce the light and let the meat boil on medium heat till it boils for few minutes and generate water itself then you add water later

You comment is noted but I will also suggest that you try this method of boiling the meat. Maybe the taste will come out just the same, if not better.

The point I am trying to make is that there is always room for learning and improvement in the kitchen. Change is constant cheesy
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:07am On Jul 05, 2022
Proudlyomonna:
The egusi no just fine for face undecided
If you wan cook egusi use better red oil abeg
Se Im go sweet like dis oo undecided

Ok noted! Quantity of Red oil in soups is by preference, you can decide to add as much as you prefer in your own soup. As long as you enjoy it that way, it's fine. cheesy
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:09am On Jul 05, 2022
chukzyfcbb:
The egusi doesn't look thick tho, looks somewhat watery

You can decide to make yours thicker, it's a thing of preference.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:10am On Jul 05, 2022
Emmanuel909090:
Nice

Thanks smiley
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:11am On Jul 05, 2022
everythinggirly:
Yummy....

Thanks!
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:12am On Jul 05, 2022
gloryhomemaker:
I choose the second. It looks better, well done again.

Ok, good choice! Thanks very much!
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:14am On Jul 05, 2022
10kgod:

Kudos.

Sorry, it's unrelated but I have to say this. The inner part of the first non-sticky pot is fading. Time to change it. It's not safe again.

Thanks for the observation.

1 Like

Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:16am On Jul 05, 2022
eziemich:
@op
I want to try that tomatoes type. Did u use any soup hardener like achi or offor ?
Again before u added the tomatoes, it's like you've previously cooked or fried it dry, which one?

No I didn't use any soup thickener.

Yes, after grinding, I boiled the tomatoes dry before using.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:17am On Jul 05, 2022
phemmyfour:
Frying free method all the way. Frying reduces nutrients quality in our food

Okay, nice! cheesy
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:18am On Jul 05, 2022
AkorBishop:

This is superB

Thanks !

1 Like

Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by AZControversial(m): 10:02am On Jul 05, 2022
ama19:

smiley
To me, it's just easier
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by AZControversial(m): 10:03am On Jul 05, 2022
ama19:

smiley
To me, it just feels easier.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by HRMK: 12:33pm On Jul 05, 2022
three cups of egusi for what?are u feeding a whole village?this so called recipe of urs would cost lots of thousands!u must be well loaded!what was the cost?
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by motta(m): 2:51pm On Jul 05, 2022
chibu4u2:
Yummy!!!.
Once did the tomato frying method back then in uni and my guys were laughing me for cooking egusi soup with tomato, sounded funny at the time though. lol.
Wish this post had come earlier on then would have been nice.
Anyway lovely meal to behold.
it will sour on time
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Jul 05, 2022
lilvicky68:

I like that you use vegetable Ugu.. I think it's the best combination though okazi is nice sha
You never try Egusi and bitterleaf? lipsrsealed
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Jul 05, 2022
HRMK:
three cups of egusi for what?are u feeding a whole village?this so called recipe of urs would cost lots of thousands!u must be well loaded!what was the cost?
This is ofcourse not low budget cooking you are used to. grin
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by Wwwq: 5:25pm On Jul 05, 2022
I want her
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by lilvicky68(m): 5:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
You never try Egusi and bitterleaf? lipsrsealed
I no like that one
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by HRMK: 7:01pm On Jul 05, 2022
Kobojunkie:
This is ofcourse not low budget cooking you are used to. grin
WHY BRING IT HERE?TO SPITE LOW INCOME EARNERS?TAKE IT TO THOSE THAT CAN AFFORD FORMS OF #100M!GOOD DAY!!
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by Kobojunkie: 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2022
HRMK:
WHY BRING IT HERE? TO SPITE LOW INCOME EARNERS? TAKE IT TO THOSE THAT CAN AFFORD FORMS OF #100M!GOOD DAY!!
ROFLMAO
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by HRMK: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
Kobojunkie:
ROFLMAO grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
BACK TO SENDER IJMN.AMEN.
Re: How I Made Egusi Soup Using 2 Methods. Which One Do You Prefer? (pics & Videos) by ama19: 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2022
AZControversial:

smiley
To me, it just feels easier.
You may want to try out each to be really sure of which is easier to cook, your feelings may not be telling you the truth o cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Prepares Bush Meat For His American Friends / MSG: Kano Residents Resort To Chinese ‘White Maggi’ Without NAFDAC Approval / What Cheaper Food Can I Buy Instead Of Rice?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.