Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily (27952 Views)

Check Out This N4.6million Naira Barbeque Fish (pics/video) / How Much Do You Spend On Food Daily / Ghanaian Man On A Mission To Consume A Basin Of Food "Battling For His Life" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by treesun: 9:09am On Jul 05, 2022
Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State says residents of the state consume about N4.5 billion worth of food daily just as he reiterated commitment to food security.

Sanwo-Olu said this at the opening ceremony of a two-day zonal sensitisation workshop with the theme: “Implementation of Food Systems Transformation Pathways in Nigeria 2022,” on Monday in Lagos.

The workshop was organised by the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning in collaboration with Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and Lagos Ministry of Economic, Planning and Budget.

Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti are participating with a Lagos as coordinating state for Southwest goepolitical zone.

The governor represented by Mr Sam Egube, Commissioner for Economic, Planning and Budget, said that the state had decided to take the bull by the horn in guaranteeing food security for people with different agricultural and food value chain.

According to him, Lagos has a rich history of economic growth and transformation.

“Although it covers only 0.4 per cent of Nigeria’s territorial land mass making it the smallest in the country.

“It accounts for over 60 per cent of industrial and commercial activities. Lagos is a coastal state and has an extremely limited arable land space and home to about 21 million people.

“Its residents consume about N4.5 billion worth of food daily and 50 per cent of beef produced in the country running into several billions in other trading activities with markets cutting across all the local government areas in the state,” he said.

He called for joint collaboration among Southwest goepolitical zone to implement the Food Systems Transformation Pathways 2022.

Sanwo-Olu added that improving the food systems would influence positive changes and as well address multiple challenges being experienced in the country.

He said that the state agric roadmap was a deliberate effort to develop the agricultural sector by way of interventions from the public and private sector, international technical and donor organisations.

“I am aware that the need for states across the six geopolitical zones to be adequately sensitised on the implementation of the National Food Systems Transformation Pathways is the basis for this workshop.

“It gives me great pleasure to note that Lagos State was selected to host the South West geopolitical sensitisation which I consider as an acknowledgement of the positive impacts our policies and efforts are making in the agricultural sector.

“As a state government, we will continue to provide infrastructure and incentives to support all private sector initiatives where required.

“History has shown that any society that is unable to provide food guarantee, its security is open to abuse and utmost danger,” he said.

The governor commended the efforts of the Federal Government on its unrelenting efforts to ensure that the food systems summit in conjunction with the United Nations is developed.

“I assure you that the Lagos State Government is fully committed to achieving a food secured Lagos and Nigeria through partnership with all national and sub-national entities as well as private sector and international technical and donor organisations.

He urged all participants at the workshop to show commitment by sharing ideas and opinions on the selected programmes slated to kick-start implementation.

Mr Mathias Schmale, the Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator, United Nations, commended the Federal Government for its consistent efforts toward sustainable food systems in the country.

Schmale who was represented by Mr Isiaka Ibrahim, UN Coordinator in Lagos, reiterated that the UN would continue to work with government and as well strengthen collaborations with all stakeholders in support of this transformational journey.

“Today marks another important step in the highly anticipated transformational change we have worked for in partnership.

“The zonal sensitisation workshop is designed to onboard all of us as we begin to bring synergy across states and regions.

“The momentum at which the Federal Government is accelerating the national food systems transformation pathways is highly commendable.

READ ALSO: Night Travels: Accident Claims 18 Lives On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

“Today, the government has identified three critical priority actions to be addressed at all levels to achieve food security and reduce malnutrition among the most vulnerable and at-risk populations in Nigeria.

“They are to achieve a sustainable food system that works for all; to ensure the achievement of all SDGs in the next decade.

Mrs Olusola Idowu, the National Convener/Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and National Planning, said an implementation team made up of key stakeholders had been constituted to develop an implementation plan.

Idowu noted that the workshop provides an opportunity to present and discuss the identified priority actions selected for implementation from January 2022.

She added that it would help to define and assign roles and responsibilities for effective implementation of the priority actions.

Idowu noted that the workshop was being held in all the six geopolitical zones concurrently from July 4 to 8, focusing on three low hanging fruit programmes and 80 priority actions.

“Please, I make this passionate appeal that we all ensure that this implementation stage is truly for implementation.

“Wherein, we do less talk and more action so that we can impact lives of Nigerians,” she said.

M. Abisola Olusanya, the Lagos State Commissioner for Agriculture, said that food systems remained an important part of the national economy.

Olusanya said that effective food system had contributed to a variety of solutions to developmental challenges.

She said that there had been dialogues amongst all relevant stakeholders across the six geopolitical zones of the country since 2021 which gave birth to the National Pathways for Sustainable Food Systems. (NAN)

https://www.nextedition.com.ng/lagos-residents-consume-n4-5bn-food-daily-sanwo-olu

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Zonefree(m): 9:11am On Jul 05, 2022
Amala and Ewedu consist only 0.154% of the figure.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by VoteTinubu2023: 9:14am On Jul 05, 2022
135 billion naira market monthly.

States like Oyo, Osun, Edo, Benue should sit up.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by ExplorerReturns(m): 9:18am On Jul 05, 2022
This is huge. Most Nigerian families now spend over 70% of their income on feeding. Some even spend 100% and borrow to take care of other needs. Nigeria spends about 94% of her earnings on debt servicing and the population is not yet enraged?

The APC administration is a cancer and must be cut off by voting peter obi in 2023. Manage your hotel room booking business with this complete hotel management system with ability of guests to make and pay for reservation online. Also comes with an Android app and lots of features. Check my signature for details

64 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Moh247: 9:19am On Jul 05, 2022
This is a good income source for Oyo Ogun and Ondo farmers

17 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by treesun: 9:22am On Jul 05, 2022
Sanwoolu just trying throw data anyhow, does anyone know out of the 21m Lagos, many go to bed hungry!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Realist12: 9:24am On Jul 05, 2022
The power house of the country. Lagosians have the highest purchasing power . Just like Joseph from the Bible Lagos can move it's brothers out of drought the so called brothers are just envying her yet their future is tied together.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Totilopussylick(m): 9:32am On Jul 05, 2022
treesun:
Sanwoolu just trying throw data anyhow, does anyone know out of the 21m Lagos, many go to bed hungry!

Not in Lagos

A place where yam and agbado are shared to

Both the riches and the poorest tongue.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by treesun: 10:02am On Jul 05, 2022
N4.5bn daily, Lalasticlala!
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Patrickker(m): 10:22am On Jul 05, 2022
VoteTinubu2023:
135 billion naira market monthly.

States like Oyo, Osun, Edo, Benue should sit up.

Vote Tinubu 2023. Vote APC.
Forget Benue, you can try the rest of the states you mentioned, here we are OBIdient. Cant vote any old man who has become an epitome of corruption over time. Make God sha help am make him carry another muslim as a running mate, the job go too easy for us. We have had them old grandpas like that, but it has been business as usual. We are where we are. Our grandfathers have failed us abeg, they should just rest already and be helping with advice when needed. He, Pa Tinubu, gave us Buhari and now we are where we are - bandits and terrorists having a field day, exhorbitant prices of food and essential commodities, endemic corruption like never before, students at home for more than 5 months now etc... He packaged, gave us a bad product, he cant do any better. We ll vote another this time even if he doesnt win, our conscience wins.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by DEROX: 4:28pm On Jul 05, 2022
Actually i believe if you say 1bn because lagos especially island is very expensive
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Omihanifa: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
How I wish most of the surrounding states are deeply into agriculture. They would have benefited from this.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Mko123(m): 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
A
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by thegagoman: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
The average Lagosian eats 1k daily (1-0-1), 500 Naira per meal, morning and evening. The population is 21 million. 1k x 21 million = 21 billion Naira. The 4.5 billion estimation is wrong.

It will also suprise you to know that Lagos danfo drivers and conductors spend more money on food than every other person. You need to see where they are eating Amala and Ogunfe, that one alone is about 2k at once. In the afternoon, they eat like 2 gala and one coke inside traffic. By the time they get home in the evening, the wife has prepared huge Eba with correct goat meat and asorted. These people spend around 4k on food daily, and they actually deserve it cos they work very hard.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by SultanOfPuna: 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2022
MAN MUST WACK Limited

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by visijo(m): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
If she doesn't reach climax in 2 minutes my brother feel free to cum women have a tendency of coming late everywhere.. tongue

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Houseofglam7(f): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
undecided
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
Lagos state needs independence.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Ballzproblemm: 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
hmm,if I reach Lagos na to open food business
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by TOPCRUISE(m): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
Buhari must not see this o. His government will place tariffs and will increase food prices again

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by SecretReporter(f): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2022
Fake statistics
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Olam09(m): 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2022
Yea, probably they consume more than that. Let's assume there are 30 million people in lagos and each spend 500 above for feeding 30 million × 500 naira =??

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Tvoice: 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
Na normal thing , everything wey we dey hursle for inside dis life , na for the bele , but dat statistic is still wrong , nor be every body dey see food eat for dis lagos trust me .
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by ShaqFu: 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
Hmmm he never stated how they came about the data. 4.5 billion worth of food. It'll be nice to know the specifics of the data.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by BigDawsNet: 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
shocked

Newyork population 18m
Lagos population 15m

New York is approximately 122,283 sq km
While Lagos is just 1.171sq km

The state population is rising daily...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by princepee: 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
Nonsense statistics!
Shey government no wetin I eat today?
How did they come to this conclusion?
Shey na government dey pay for people food?
Everywhere was flooded today find way to fix the drainages.
There is no light in my place of work, I got home same issue.
You telling me how much food people dey eat,
Wetin concern me with that?...
Make una fork off abeg!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Antoeni(m): 4:42pm On Jul 05, 2022
Picture 1 ~ Peter Obi

Picture 2 ~Baba Agbado

Picture 3 ~Aboki Atiku

Choose Wisely

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by damiloladuke: 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2022
jesus! now is the time to diversify
Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Quest7777: 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2022
Plenty Food = Plenty Shit

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by seanwilliam(m): 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2022
Lagos leads , others follow

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by Mindlog: 4:45pm On Jul 05, 2022
Way more than that

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Residents Consume N4.5bn Food Daily by akmath: 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2022
Zonefree:
Amala and Ewedu consist only 0.154% of the figure.
That is incorrect.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Saw Beans Inside Fish Pie He Bought (Photos) / I Was Saved (PHOTOS) / Come & Join Me Is Now A Problem: My Friend Will Sit & Finish My Food For Me!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.