Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:55 AM

Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. (27498 Views)

Maryam Mairo Tambuwal Visits Ancestral Home Of Her Husband In Sokoto / Tension In Plateau As STF Orders Fulani Out Of Ancestral Villages / Official Results Of Presidential Election: By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
Hi Palies,lol. Ok here is the gist. A few of my nigerian friends brought their african american friends to get tested to find out where they are from. So my five nigerian friends and 5 african Amerians and a jamaican  did the dna test.
Now my five nigerian friends said they were each 100% igbo, yoruba, edo and hausa, all verified by their parents and languages,etc. So out of the five nigerians 2 were yoruba, one igbo, one edo and one hausa, so when the result came back   last week, the results were as followed,

Igbo before dna=  68% igbo, 32 percent efik after dna
Yoruba 1 before dna=60 percent yoruba, 20 percent fulani, 20 percent igbo
Yoruba 2 before dna= 90 percent igbo, 10 percent efik
edo before=59 percent ishan,21 percent yoruba,20 percent igbo
hausa before=75 percent hausa, 10 percent fulani,15percent yoruba

-------------------------------------------------------
Now this dna test is believed to be very accurate due to the fact that is based on mitochondrial dna, which unlike any other dna is the strongest,  So with these results on people who thought they knew what they were by tribe, were wrong, so  it  begs the question whether our tribal identities are just false security, because as we found out a lot of us were not 100 percent what we claim. So  my friend, yoruba 2 went back to his parents with the results, and in the midst discovered that  his mother  and father are not his biological, so after growing up a yoruba boy and now  at 25 years of age finding out that you belong to another tribe, should that change anything?

What do you folks think, because Personally I think over time our tribal identities will start to fade. And also why must we always claim our fathers' tribe and not recognize our mothers' when asked what tribe we come from, after all the mother's dna is the strongest of the two.

http://www.naijapals.com/modules/naijapals/dis-life/your-identity-african-ancestry-mitochondrial-dna-verified/
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:08pm On Jul 26, 2011
The Igbo person must be from Abia state. Arochukwu might be his background.

This does not surprise me except for Yoruba 2 DNA. Should he consider himself an Igbo or Yoruba?

Must have been a surprise for him.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Afam4eva(m): 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2011
Like I've always been preaching, I think at some point Nigerian ethnic groups mixed either by inter-marrying or being conquered. Not everyone that's known to be Yorubas are actually Yorubas.They just assimilated with the culture where they found themselves.

Meanwhile can you be more lucid on the dna information. It's kinda confusing.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 2mch(m): 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2011
EzeUche:

The Igbo person must be from Abia state.

This does not surprise me except for Yoruba 2 DNA. How can the person be Yoruba, when 90% of his DNA is Igbo and 10% Efik? That does not make sense.
Comprehension is very important for the future:
ezeagu:

yoruba 2 went back to his parents with the results, and in the midst discovered that  his mother  and father are not his biological, so after growing up a yoruba boy and now  at 25 years of age finding out that you belong to another tribe, should that change anything?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:12pm On Jul 26, 2011
2mch:

Comprehension is very important for the future:

I can see it now.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:13pm On Jul 26, 2011
when ezeuche first posted his photo here i did point out he looks very much like a yoruba.

as for the efik/igbo thingy- what difference is there besides culture.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

when ezeuche first posted his photo here i did point out he looks very much like a yoruba.

as for the efik/igbo thingy- what difference is there besides culture.

angry angry angry

And the difference is not culture, because many Eastern Igbo clans have similar cultural practies as the Efik.

It is the language. Efik/Ibibio/Annang is very different from Igbo language.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ChinenyeN(m): 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2011
We do realize that ethnic/clan membership isn't strictly traced by 'genetics', right?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:17pm On Jul 26, 2011
yoruba 2 went back to his parents with the results, and in the midst discovered that  his mother  and father are not his biological, so after growing up a yoruba boy and now  at 25 years of age finding out that you belong to another tribe, should that change anything?

i doubt it.

see the effects of baby farms oh.

that woman who claimed she had 8 children in 1 year- those kids are also from various tribes as anyone can see from their appearance. They'll probably never know their birth parents [nobody does actually] and the scary thing is some of these kids are shipped out of the country to conditions and places worse than nigeria.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2011
We do realize that ethnic/clan membership isn't strictly traced by 'genetics', right?

i hope we do realize that.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2011
EzeUche:

angry angry angry

And the difference is not culture, because many Eastern Igbo clans have similar cultural practies as the Efik.

It is the language. Efik/Ibibio/Annang is very different from Igbo language.

in what way are you contradicting what i said?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2011
I doubt we would ever lose our "tribal" identity.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:22pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

in what way are you contradicting what i said?

I am saying many of the Eastern Igbo clans such as the Aro have similar cultures with the Efik/Ibibio/Annang.

The difference is in language. If I were to converse in Ibibio, no Igbo man in this forum would understand what I am saying, because the languages are very different.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:24pm On Jul 26, 2011
This thread belongs in the culture section.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Afam4eva(m): 5:25pm On Jul 26, 2011
It's just that the culture section is slow.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:27pm On Jul 26, 2011
afam4eva:

It's just that the culture section is slow.

That is understandable, but a thread like this can be derailed in this section.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2011
And also why must we always claim our fathers' tribe and not recognize our mothers' when asked what tribe we come from, after all the mother's dna is the strongest of the two.

you can claim your mother's tribe in ghana, which is a matrilineal society.

in nigeria, you only claim your mother's tribe if you dont know your father, or was estranged from him since birth.

however, you can acknowledge your mother's tribe if you feel it's wise to do so.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 5:33pm On Jul 26, 2011
@ topic

seems to me like the whole thing is another attempt to try to reduce the yoruba population and as such, the thread is suspect.

can we stop all these expansionist attitudes please.

nigerian infrastructure is still underdeveloped so why dont we work towards developing our towns and villages and lobby for improved amenities as well.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

@ topic

seems to me like the whole thing is another attempt to try to reduce the yoruba population and as such, the thread is suspect.

How did you come to that conclusion?  grin
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Desola(f): 5:38pm On Jul 26, 2011
Will the real tpia, please stand up!

I mean the intelligent Yoruba female and not the imposters.

Thank you very much!

(This forum is soooooooo confusing!) angry
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2011
afam4eva:

Meanwhile can you be more lucid on the dna information. It's kinda confusing.

It's not my story.

tpia@:

@ topic

nigerian infrastructure is still underdeveloped so why dont we work towards developing our towns and villages and lobby for improved amenities as well.

Really?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by sbeezy8: 6:46pm On Jul 26, 2011
DONT BELIEVE IT !!!!

pessin who posted it originally prolly made ish up.

dont see how a person can be "ISHAN" through DNA test I HIGHLY DOUBT ESAN/ISHAN would be in the database. laughable.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 26, 2011
[size=18pt]So my friend, yoruba 2 went back to his parents with the results, and in the midst discovered that his mother and father are not his biological, so after growing up a yoruba boy and now at 25 years of age finding out that you belong to another tribe, should that change anything?
[/size]
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 6:52pm On Jul 26, 2011
see how they dragged two "yorubas" [vs one from each of the other two tribes] and yes, both "yorubas" turned out "igbo" or whatever.

whereas we all know the highest percentage of creolized nigerians are in the east, southsouth and midwest.

with some percentages in the north.

who be mugu and maga here.

and yes, the "igbo yoruba" went to his parents who then "confessed" he was an "adopted igbo". Tribe no dey show for face now.

any nollywood movie in the works here? grin

hope it will feature a popular nigerian leader who is known to be from a particular tribe cheesy
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Jul 26, 2011
I'm thinking Yoruba 2 is Obasanjo.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EzeUche(m): 6:57pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

see how they dragged two "yorubas" [vs one from each of the other two tribes] and yes, both "yorubas" turned out "igbo" or whatever.

whereas we all know the highest percentage of creolized nigerians are in the east, southsouth and midwest.

with some percentages in the north.

who be mugu and maga here.

and yes, the "igbo yoruba" went to his parents who then "confessed" he was an "adopted igbo". Tribe no dey show for face now.

any nollywood movie in the works here? grin

hope it will feature a well known nigerian leader who is known to be from a particular tribe cheesy

You are funny. Tpiah, I did not know you were a comedian.  grin

I think you are a little paranoid. Everyone is not trying to divide the Yoruba. You act as if you are on the defense.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 6:59pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

But you're wrong and you're just generalising. The east of Nigeria didn't have massive wars and absorption following, and they also don't have a tale of meeting and later absorbing an aboriginal people in their homeland to where they migrated.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by sbeezy8: 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
The origianl pessin wey post am want to show that we take daddys side instead of mommy.

which still doesntmake sense in her reasoning she said

So  my friend, yoruba 2 went back to his parents with the results, and in the midst discovered that  his mother  and father are not his biological, so after growing up a yoruba boy and now  at 25 years of age finding out that you belong to another tribe, should that change anything?

1) this type of dna I think is limited to females
2) if this DNA is from mother side only- why would there be any conflict in saying whether he is yoruba or not, considering everyone takes after daddys side, n this test is form mommy DNA.

BULLOX
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
ezeagu:

But you're wrong and you're just generalising. The east of Nigeria didn't have massive wars and absorption following, and they also don't have a tale of meeting and later absorbing an aboriginal people in their homeland to where they migrated.

outside of the southwest is among the most creolized part of nigeria.

if by absorption you're referring to the claim of igbos being the "original owners" of yorubaland then have a good day.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 7:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
sbeezy8:

DONT BELIEVE IT !!!!

pessin who posted it originally prolly made ish up.

dont see how a person can be "ISHAN" through DNA test I HIGHLY DOUBT ESAN/ISHAN would be in the database. laughable.

Some African ancestry tracing companies claim to have information for over 160 ethnic groups in their databases. How many groups in Africa are higher priority than Ishan?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 7:05pm On Jul 26, 2011
tpia@:

if by absorption you're referring to the claim of igbos being the "original owners" of yorubaland then have a good day.

Why are you getting angry? Is there no tale of an aboriginal people being absorbed or pushed out in Yorubaland? By the way, it's you that has just brought up claims of Igbo being the original owners, not anyone else.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 7:06pm On Jul 26, 2011
ezeagu:

Some African ancestry tracing companies claim to have information for over 160 ethnic groups in their databases. How many groups in Africa are higher priority than Ishan?

nigeria alone has over 300 ethnic groups how how would africa be limited to 160.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

APC Has Succeeded In Dividing Nigeria – Wike Cries Out / Latest Insurgency Attacks Not By Boko Haram –negotiator / Aisha Buhari Celebrates International Day Of The Girl Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.