Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,716 members, 7,802,163 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:14 AM

Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. (27482 Views)

Maryam Mairo Tambuwal Visits Ancestral Home Of Her Husband In Sokoto / Tension In Plateau As STF Orders Fulani Out Of Ancestral Villages / Official Results Of Presidential Election: By INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 5:13am On Jul 28, 2011
And you you are a white baboon?

Ileke-IdI:

Igbos have some kind of complex for skin color.

Why is it a problem tfor them hat Yorubas are dark? Are we complaining?

Even light skinned Hausas/Fulanis are not making as much noise.

This is why the white man continues to call y'all blackie monkeys.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 5:16am On Jul 28, 2011
Thanks dayokanu. We should always try to avoid making bold assumptions based on speculations and incomplete information when there is still room to learn more and to prevent being blinded by superiority complex.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 6:03am On Jul 28, 2011
dayokanu:

Odumchi,

Berbers, touaregs and Fulanis live in the extremely sunny desert and they are largely fair skinned

What do you mean by light skinned? Last time I checked, a majority of Berbers were not light skinned. As for Fulanis, not all of them are light skinned, a majority are darker. But some Berbers are mixed with Arabs ccreating a caramel skin-tone. Also, the coast of North Africa has its own share of forests and etc.

This theory that I brought up is not to be applied to every individual but a majority. The majority of those people that you listed are dark skinned. But its pure comon sense, if you live in shady areas, your skin will be lighter.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 6:12am On Jul 28, 2011
if you live in shady areas, your skin will be lighter

dont know about that.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by dayokanu(m): 6:30am On Jul 28, 2011
Almost all Fulanis are fair skinned about 70% of them same with those Toaregs (Those that beg in Lagos)

The Middle East/North Africa are one of the hottest places on earth with death valley in California and are occupied by fair skinned people

Iran, Libya, Ethiopia, Phoenix and California are some of the hottest places on earth populated by fair skinned people
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by odumchi: 6:46am On Jul 28, 2011
Iranians, Libians, Ethiopians, are all from a different ethnic stock than "black" Africans. Those people are semi-semitic/ caucasians. That altogether is a different story.

Well the population of desert roaming Fulani that are light-skinned is very small, but still the ast majority of West Africa is dark-skinned. Like I said my theory does not determine an absolute.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by Jenifa1: 7:21am On Jul 28, 2011
I love how this thread is still about skin tone.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by namfav(m): 8:24am On Jul 28, 2011
dayokanu:

Almost all Fulanis are fair skinned about 70% of them same with those Toaregs (Those that beg in Lagos)

The Middle East/North Africa are one of the hottest places on earth with death valley in California and are occupied by fair skinned people

Iran, Libya, Ethiopia, Phoenix and California are some of the hottest places on earth populated by fair skinned people

really?

please keep us out of your complex if you are going to bring up colonial nonsense like that
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by MadDog1(m): 9:03pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Igbos have some kind of complex for skin color.

Why is it a problem tfor them hat Yorubas are dark? Are we complaining?

Even light skinned Hausas/Fulanis are not making as much noise.

including you! angry
or are u africa- hispanic shocked
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 9:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
that would be sbeezy who as a matter of fact, doesnt know who or what he is.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by EgbeNak: 9:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You're a blackie monkey too gurl, now get with da program aiight!!

You're a dolt.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by pholareen1(m): 4:44am On Jul 29, 2011
I'm not disputing the fact that you carried out the DNA test. Even if it is from the mitochondria, i quite agree with you that the mitochondrial DNA is maternally inherited. good to know this, how come did you have a database showing the ethnicity fingerprint? that's not enough, at what point in locus did you do this. I know of DNA testing in paternal dispute and crime scene/detection. I think your basis of testing is just crap. If you wanna prove this, just put up the details on here. I am not a regular nairaland checker but if you think your claim is as a result of your observation, forward the details to me on flobch@yahoo.com. No offense, no fighting but using sciences for wrong claim aint worth it. Get me the details, and if you are right, ill tell everybody on here. I am no novice. if you are right, who knows, it might take you places

Foalrin Olusegun

+2347038127311
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 5:14am On Jul 29, 2011
pholareen.:

I'm not disputing the fact that you carried out the DNA test. Even if it is from the mitochondria, i quite agree with you that the mitochondrial DNA is maternally inherited. good to know this, how come did you have a database showing the ethnicity fingerprint? that's not enough, at what point in locus did you do this. I know of DNA testing in paternal dispute and crime scene/detection. I think your basis of testing is just crap. If you wanna prove this, just put up the details on here. I am not a regular nairaland checker but if you think your claim is as a result of your observation, forward the details to me on flobch@yahoo.com. No offense, no fighting but using sciences for wrong claim aint worth it. Get me the details, and if you are right, ill tell everybody on here. I am no novice. if you are right, who knows, it might take you places

Foalrin Olusegun

+2347038127311

well said, i wanted to bring this up but i decided to research better before I posted

1. this DNA classification of ethnic groups by testing has no bases

2. how can a DNA be matched to an ethnic group? TO WHAT REFERENCE is it to an average igbo man or what ans how are they sure that the REFERENCE is pure blood

people just post crap and are ignorant to things they post. They also hate to admit their ignorance. grin grin grin

DNA classification can be done based on race, paternal and species there is NO WAY A DNA can be classified based on an ethnic group as there is no refers to compare it to.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by pholareen1(m): 5:24am On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

well said, i wanted to bring this up but i decided to research better before I posted

1. this DNA classification of ethnic groups by testing has no bases

2. how can a DNA be matched to an ethnic group? TO WHAT REFERENCE  is it to an average igbo man or what ans how are they sure that the REFERENCE is pure blood

people just post crap and are ignorant to things they post. They also hate to admit their ignorance.  grin grin grin

DNA classification can be done based on race, paternal and species there is NO WAY A DNA can be classified based on an ethnic group as there is no refers to compare it to.

well, if he thinks he is right about the whole thing, ill like to have a report in a scientific format. report it on here or for security purposes to my email. by the way bro, you a molecular biologist?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 5:44am On Jul 29, 2011
Now ezeagu.

99% of all human being have the same DNA it is the 1% that distinguished us

The process begins with a sample of an individual's DNA (typically called a "reference sample"wink. The most desirable method of collecting a reference sample is the use of a buccal swab, as this reduces the possibility of contamination. When this is not available (e.g. because a court order may be needed and not obtainable) other methods may need to be used to collect a sample of blood, saliva, semen, or other appropriate fluid or tissue from personal items (e.g. toothbrush, razor, etc.) or from stored samples (e.g. banked sperm or biopsy tissue). Samples obtained from blood relatives (biological relative) can provide an indication of an individual's profile, as could human remains which had been previously profiled.
A reference sample is then analyzed to create the individual's DNA profile using one of a number of techniques, discussed below. The DNA profile is then compared against another sample to determine whether there is a genetic match.

As for your claim or the writer there is no refers to compare this 5 people as a pure blood is needed. In todays terms there are no pure igbo or yoruba blood and as sure there is no way they can give the percentage of this individual or the ethnic percentage (that is if there is anything like that at the first place).

Ethnic DNA

Now ethnic DNA is used in America to identify africa americans,Greek
Sikkim (India)
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR53usOghdnavinm1K_FKnS2jCIGmfYmp52f-P10Jeq0r29J_cJCA[/img]
Bhutia (India)
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBw8tjnw-ZO35OPGQrOOdzmRDCgjXL-WU0_jqTpojXSz4RReqIHPnn7ylKvQ[/img]
Italian
Argentinian (Misiones)
Hungarian (E. Romani)
Hungarian (Ashkenazim)
Romanian (Szekler)
Romanian (Csango)
Tibet (Luoba)

but as you can this there is distinction in this groups and they can be classified into different races.

as you can see in the case of sikkim and bhutia. they look almost the same but distinct features can be seen and also can be found as a form of classification.

if you were comparing maybe the fulani to igbo or yoruba then it would have be visible as the way of life of the fulani is different from this 2 groups and as such there are distinct features that suit them.

even at that, it would still be hard for a scientist to separate the DNA of a fulani from an igbo person given the fact as there has been a lot of intermarriages and as such there is no pure blood for reference to.

I don't really know how to explain this further since i am no scientist as i am also a forumite as well.

Anyone this can explain further but this is to the best of my knowledge.

maybe unless you start going to bone structure, physical sturcture etc to be able to classify people but then again there is no reference for the classification.

I meant be wrong and i would be willing to learn more if anyone object to this.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 5:46am On Jul 29, 2011
pholareen.:

well, if he thinks he is right about the whole thing, ill like to have a report in a scientific format. report it on here or for security purposes to my email. by the way bro, you a molecular biologist?

thanks for the compliment. i am no molecular biologist  smiley wink
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by pholareen1(m): 5:51am On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

thanks for the compliment. i am no molecular biologist  smiley wink

ok. good to know.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 7:30am On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

That doesn't even make sense, how can DNA classification be based on "race" but cannot be based on ethnic groups? Secondly, how do you check race if finding a 'pure' reference is impossible?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 7:45am On Jul 29, 2011
ezeagu:

That doesn't even make sense, how can DNA classification be based on "race" but cannot be based on ethnic groups?

refer to this post
alj harem:

Now ezeagu.

99% of all human being have the same DNA it is the 1% that distinguished us

The process begins with a sample of an individual's DNA (typically called a "reference sample"wink. The most desirable method of collecting a reference sample is the use of a buccal swab, as this reduces the possibility of contamination. When this is not available (e.g. because a court order may be needed and not obtainable) other methods may need to be used to collect a sample of blood, saliva, Fluid, or other appropriate fluid or tissue from personal items (e.g. toothbrush, razor, etc.) or from stored samples (e.g. banked Fluid or biopsy tissue). Samples obtained from blood relatives (biological relative) can provide an indication of an individual's profile, as could human remains which had been previously profiled.
A reference sample is then analyzed to create the individual's DNA profile using one of a number of techniques, discussed below. The DNA profile is then compared against another sample to determine whether there is a genetic match.

As for your claim or the writer there is no refers to compare this 5 people as a pure blood is needed. In todays terms there are no pure igbo or yoruba blood and as sure there is no way they can give the percentage of this individual or the ethnic percentage (that is if there is anything like that at the first place).

Ethnic DNA

Now ethnic DNA is used in America to identify africa americans,Greek
Sikkim (India)
[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR53usOghdnavinm1K_FKnS2jCIGmfYmp52f-P10Jeq0r29J_cJCA[/img]
Bhutia (India)
[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBw8tjnw-ZO35OPGQrOOdzmRDCgjXL-WU0_jqTpojXSz4RReqIHPnn7ylKvQ[/img]
Italian
Argentinian (Misiones)
Hungarian (E. Romani)
Hungarian (Ashkenazim)
Romanian (Szekler)
Romanian (Csango)
Tibet (Luoba)

but as you can this there is distinction in this groups and they can be classified into different races.

as you can see in the case of sikkim and bhutia. they look almost the same but distinct features can be seen and also can be found as a form of classification.

if you were comparing maybe the fulani to igbo or yoruba then it would have be visible as the way of life of the fulani is different from this 2 groups and as such there are distinct features that suit them.

even at that, it would still be hard for a scientist to separate the DNA of a fulani from an igbo person given the fact as there has been a lot of intermarriages and as such there is no pure blood for reference to.

I don't really know how to explain this further since i am no scientist as i am also a forumite as well.

Anyone this can explain further but this is to the best of my knowledge.

maybe unless you start going to bone structure, physical sturcture etc to be able to classify people but then again there is no reference for the classification.

I meant be wrong and i would be willing to learn more if anyone object to this.  

ezeagu:

Secondly, how do you check race if finding a 'pure' reference is impossible?

race is further than ethnic group or tribe

there are distinct and more viable features in different races than in tribes

for example when comparing a white british with a black man

also this races can further be broken down to different stages.

like now, you can tell the differences between a white british and a white russain as ther have different geographical spaces which is far from each other unlike that of nigeria where comparing or distinguishing a yoruba from an igbo is not valuable as there is not enough comprehensive evidence to back it up since there geographical space are too close and the topograhy of each individual land does not favour any type of adaptation to suggest that there would be a different or significant change in there DNA.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 7:58am On Jul 29, 2011
ezeagu

You really need to understand this issue before you can start an argument. smiley

You need to understand that different geographical spaces issues the isolation of genes popularily known as "gene pools". Now, this genes pools (as stated earlier) are influened by geophaical locations, topography, altitude, climate etc.

Now, I ask, most of the people you all Igbos are Igbos with refernence to who or what?? What defines Igbo? unless cultural affilation.

You will be shocked that your defination of Igbo is a man that has lived in a rain forest (the south has forests).  Therefore, there is no bases for you to say he is Igbo or not based on genes UNLESS you can compare his genes to the VERY first Igbo man but then again,

how will the first igbo man know he is Igbo.

Your research will open a genetic paradox which states that if I compare my genes to, lest say hausa, I will have X% of Huasa blood. Knowing full well that I have no Hausa blood in me but Kanuri. A Yoruba man will have an Ashante blood etc.

Hence, this genetic pool was created because of the topography and climate.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by 77ken: 8:07am On Jul 29, 2011
Mitochondral DNA is mainly effective in identifying maternal lineage, those figures u reeled out may be accurate, but on the mother`s side, in Nigeria the father`s tribe is that of the child.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 8:14am On Jul 29, 2011
if you think of the type of food as well the yoruba food of yam, cassava, rice, palm oil, vegetables etc are very similar

yoruba and igbo eat the same type of food but cooked in very similar but different way and that is not enough for a visible genetic difference

also the genetic difference in hausa/fulani is simalar to yorubas (northern yorubas) as the topography and climae changes from the southern rain forest to the northern savanna

also the yorubas eat similar foods as the old hausa/fulani such as lafu, tuwo shikafa etc.  

now compare the igbos to hausa/fulani, the difference is clear as day because of the different topography, climates and type of foods

but the same can not be used to differentiate the ijaw from bini or igbo or southern youba

similarly in the north the hausa,fulani,northern yoruba nupe etc
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 8:15am On Jul 29, 2011
77ken:

Mitochondral DNA is mainly effective in identifying maternal lineage, those figures u reeled out may be accurate, but on the mother`s side, in Nigeria the father`s tribe is that of the child.

another good point
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 4:53pm On Jul 29, 2011
how can DNA classification be based on "race" but cannot be based on ethnic groups?

well, that's why so much of this is called junk, or pseudo science.

shouldnt even be associated with science at all.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by tpia5: 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2011
you can tell the differences between a white british and a white russain

not even all the time

russian

british

Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 6:07pm On Jul 29, 2011
alj harem:

You need to understand that different geographical spaces issues the isolation of genes popularily known as "gene pools". Now, this genes pools (as stated earlier) are influened by geophaical locations, topography, altitude, climate etc.

All of which can affect ethnic groups, Igbo people do not historically have the same diet or climate or altitude of an Ijaw person. What are these races, and what are the conditions that separate them into races?
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 6:21pm On Jul 29, 2011
ezeagu:

All of which can affect ethnic groups, Igbo people do not historically have the same diet or climate or altitude of an Ijaw person. What are these races, and what are the conditions that separate them into races?

in reality, the igbos and the ijaw have the same climate, diet and altitude as the ijaw

the climate is basically the same as the difference would not be significant enough to cause any change

the diet is as well the same unless you mean cooked differently. historically igbos and ijaws eat fishes, yam, vegetables

the climate is as well the same as the inland ijaws most have leaved in the rain forest and so are the southern yoruba and igbos.

2nd point

Conditions such as extreme claimate change . for example when you compare the weather of america to that of Nigeria. or when you compare a climate in the northern part of nigeria to that of the rainforest in the south

also diets.

the olden america or british. the food that they were likely to eat are like potatoes instead of the yam we are accustomed to in nigeria. olive oil unlike africans before where palm oil was the majority of the oil we get etc

and as you righly said altitude and other play major roles in this

but in terms of igbo,ijaw, southern yoruba, bini, they can all be said to occupy the same enivronment in terms of geographical space, altitude, the avilability of same food, climates
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by ezeagu(m): 6:42pm On Jul 29, 2011
Believe what you want.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 6:44pm On Jul 29, 2011
ezeagu:

Believe what you want.

it is nothing about what I believe. I just realised that it is not possible unless you give me other facts which i can research on
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 11:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
Why can't ethnicity be traced if DNA can be used to determine paternity and clarify lineages? Aren't fingerprints the result of the expression of biomarkers? Are you saying that it is impossible to get biomarkers specific to a particular group of people but then accept that biomarkers can be used to determine paternity? And yes, "pure" references can be obtained.

Do not say it is impossible if you can't picture it.
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by aljharem(m): 11:55pm On Jul 29, 2011
amor4ce:

Why can't ethnicity be traced if DNA can be used to determine paternity and clarify lineages? Aren't fingerprints the result of the expression of biomarkers? Are you saying that it is impossible to get biomarkers specific to a particular group of people but then accept that biomarkers can be used to determine paternity? And yes, "pure" references can be obtained.

Do not say it is impossible if you can't picture it.

biomarkers

In cell biology, a biomarker is a molecule that allows for the detection and isolation of a particular cell type (for example, the protein Oct-4 is used as a biomarker to identify embryonic stem cells).[2]
In genetics, a biomarker (identified as genetic marker) is a DNA sequence that causes disease or is associated with susceptibility to disease

really biomarker can be used n different forms but in this case as you can see it is DNA sequence

Now DNA sequence can be used to identify parental origin as you suggested but can you trace it back to the first "lets say yoruba man" NO

how are you sure his parents are pure igbo or yoruba?? How ?? what if they are all mixed blood and thus you have catigoerised them as igbo or yoruba

I know one of my friend, his name is atiku but he is died now, if they check his DNA they would likly say he is yoruba or hausa/fulani

but that is not the case as his parents have mixed origins as well and as such they can not pin point his ethnicity as the reference they are using is either his parents or another person who MIGHT be mixed

I hope you understand
Re: Ancestral DNA Results of Nigerians. by amor4ce(m): 12:57am On Jul 30, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Graphic Photos Of Some Victims Of Maiduguri Multiple Bomb Blast / Hungary: Landlord Threatens To Throw Nigerian Embassy Out Over Unpaid Rent / North Will Determine Next President - Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.