Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,506 members, 7,808,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC (15342 Views)

FG To Resell Discos Under Banks, AMCON In Three Months / Naira Scarcity: Protesters Hit Sagamu, Raze Banks, INEC, IBEDC Offices / DisCos Get NERC Approval To Increase Tariff September 1st (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Contraa: 9:13am On Jul 06, 2022
Solar power is the best. Save money you could have used to pay bills and at the of the year, just do probably 1.5kva and put your lightening, solar fan and your tv, you are good to go . The last time I recharged my prepaid meter was 3 months ago.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 06, 2022
benardtotti:

Bro the government would have thought otherwise if no-one took up their offer , they would have revised it , but some corrupt fake billionaires quickly lined up to own those discos and then turn around to start blaming govt is a big scam sir ! Govt has no blame in this .

The government does. It sets tarrifs for the power sector, instead of them setting tarrifs.

At this point, read this report. Does a better job than I ever could explaining what is happening.

If you think Government does not set prices....see the petroleum sector
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by bigpicture001: 9:14am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

I hate to defend Buhari, but reversing the privatisation would amount to breaking a contract, which means that the government would be on the hook for millions or billions of naira in compensation to the now fromer owners should they do so.

(Yes, government did look at reversing and took legal advice on the matter. The advice was that if they did it, they pay compensation)

U shld blame buhari... Cuz he put a cap to the price of energy... Thereby making operators to operate below the cost of delivery... Yet he want Dem to be successful...

Naija energy cost is too low.. just that d people are too poor to buy it...

1 Like

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by rottennaija(m): 9:15am On Jul 06, 2022
GOATandYAMtheory:
Only Peter Obi can save us in this country grin cheesy

When Peter obi becomes president, there would be steady power supply like we had in Anambra when he was Governor, enough savings for Nigeria, and most importantly, enough growth in his Pandora investment.

IPOB logic ehn.. grin grin cheesy

Peter Obi was economic adviser to Jonathan administration when they sold these power distribution companies to these fraudster.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by otokx(m): 9:16am On Jul 06, 2022
KingOfTheDamned:

PHED the port Harcourt disco is doing well

So forget that Lagos disco

Is it the PHED that I know or another one, I am currently being charged for Band A but their light is mainly night plan, we buy parts and pay for repair of our transformer. Those guys are something else even though they are my people.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 06, 2022
bigpicture001:

U shld blame buhari... Cuz he put a cap to the price of energy... Thereby making operators to operate below the cost of delivery... Yet he want Dem to be successful...

Naija energy cost is too low.. just that d people are too poor to buy it...

Yes, he should have removed the cap (the main thrust of most of my comments here) but the cap was there before he took power, and it would be there after he leaves...because all Nigerian politicans don't like taking hard decisions.

Even then, it is still his fault. HE should have let the discos and gencos set prices, and scrapped NBET.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by otokx(m): 9:19am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

The government does. It sets tarrifs for the power sector, instead of them setting tarrifs.

At this point, read this report. Does a better job than I ever could explaining what is happening.

You are right, government has no business directly setting tarrifs for the power sector but instead should regulate disputes between players in the sector.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by SEGLIZ: 9:26am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:
Not surprised.

IBEDC cannot meet up its demands economically because it has to charge for bills below the cost of producing power, and because a lot of people do not pay their bills in its catchment area.

Combined together, it cannot run at a profit, and has to be taken over by AMCON.
are you their staff member or one of those that listen to their rhetoric on OGTV?
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by bigpicture001: 9:28am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Yes, he should have removed the cap (the main thrust of most of my comments here) but the cap was there before he took power, and it would be there after he leaves...because all Nigerian politicans don't like taking hard decisions.

Even then, it is still his fault. HE should have let the discos and gencos set prices, and scrapped NBET.

Government needs to ban trade unions... Cuz if you deregulate any sector.. the stakeholders in that sector which are in a union will do a meeting ND fix prices again...
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:29am On Jul 06, 2022
oz4real83:
Gone are those days I used to blame GEJ for the evil privatization he did. Seven years are enough for PMB to correct all the errors in the evil privatization but he has absolutely nothing meaningful to offer. Power never improved for once throughout this administration. Bedc should be the worst among all the distribution companies, they don't even care about the public perception of them. Still no prepaid meters from Bedc. It has never been this bad in the history of this country. This administration took Nigeria to a messy state the country has never ever been in embarassed

So you say he's undoing the good works of GEJ? As bad as buhari and his government, we must call a spade a spade.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Kobicove(m): 9:30am On Jul 06, 2022
Omihanifa:
Just imagine the kind of questionable people that bought these discos. Nigeria is in a total mess. I can bet everything that apart from Abuja and Lagos discos. Others didn't invest anything to upgrade their assets.

They did not invest cos most of them had no idea about what it takes to manage and electricity distribution company.

The whole process of sale was just paddy-paddy arrangement angry

1 Like

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 06, 2022
SEGLIZ:
are you their staff member or one of those that listen to their rhetoric on OGTV?

In response, I offer you these articles.

1. Solving the liquidty crunch in the power sector.

2.Muddy waters.

From article 2...

The issues facing the Nigerian power sector remains multi-faceted but in our view, top on the list is the non-cost reflective tariff. While we acknowledge that the current macroeconomic landscape may not be best suited for another hike in electricity tariffs, we note that the continued adoption of non-cost-reflective tariffs will exacerbate the anemic position of Discos, prevent the overhaul of poor transmission infrastructure, hinder private sector investments and constrain the development of the power sector. With government revenue under significant pressure, we believe government liquidity injections may prove to be insufficient in sustaining the power sector.

I don't work for the power sector, or know anyone. I even had issues with my local disco some years ago. But all I have here started from my trying to understand why GEJ was selling the PHCN to discos and gencos....
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 06, 2022
bigpicture001:

Government needs to ban trade unions... Cuz if you deregulate any sector.. the stakeholders in that sector which are in a union will do a meeting ND fix prices again...

Well, trade unions like businesses exist to get the best deal for their members. No trade unions, bad deals for workers.

Plus NLC is opposed to removing price controls on power. The electricity workers union originally opposed the priivatisation effort.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by benardtotti(m): 9:37am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Bro you don't get my point , they weren't forced to take up the offer , they could have either negotiated terms or backed out , you can't try to change the rules of a game in the middle of the game .

1 Like

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 06, 2022
benardtotti:

Bro you don't get my point , they weren't forced to take up the offer , they could have either negotiated terms or backed out , you can't try to change the rules of a game in the middle of the game .

And the government should know from experience that price setting does not work. I honestly don't know if Nigerian governments don't know that.

Wherever price setting has been tried, it leads to the collapse of the sector.

The discos and gencos were offered the carrot of yearly price increases, plus a subsidy to be paid to cover their losses. Naturally, they had no price increases for 4 years, and the subsidy was insufficent, and even not paid on time.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Fanatical(m): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2022
KingOfTheDamned:

PHED the port Harcourt disco is doing well

So forget that Lagos disco

PHEDC is not doing well.

1 Like

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by KingOfTheDamned: 9:55am On Jul 06, 2022
Fanatical:

PHEDC is not doing well.

Compared to the others it is . Dr Henry has rely tried with managing that company. The porblemnin the power sector is corruption, he has done a great deal in stamping this out.

He established the CEO Marshals and has used them to stop to a large extent corrupt practices by Phed officials
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by xperiencelove(m): 10:09am On Jul 06, 2022
When I was a student in Ibadan, we fought NEPA when they brought 18k as monthly bill. We later went to their office to settle it, they collected the bill and generated another one for us with 8k.
Their boss in charge of account was asking his boys that raided the community how much they generated, they told him 120k and he instructed them to remit 80k. Which means they shared the balance of 40k among themselves. This happened in 2013.

Subsidywise20:

Because if they don't they would collapse.

That they are even able to remit half is a miracle in itself...they barely have enough...plus they don't pay money to the treasury per se as do NNPC.....they pay money to GENCOS and the TCN....

1 Like

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Ojuntana: 10:13am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:
Not surprised.

IBEDC cannot meet up its demands economically because it has to charge for bills below the cost of producing power, and because a lot of people do not pay their bills in its catchment area.

Combined together, it cannot run at a profit, and has to be taken over by AMCON.
How do you know a lot of people don't pay their bills in its catchment area?
Are you aware govt no longer pays subsidy on power to discos because they increased their tariffs twice last year?
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Ojuntana: 10:15am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Maybe, but at the end, no business can run, shady or otherwise if government is telling them how much they should charge, and paying you money that barely covers your losses.

Meanwhile the cost of producing a unit of power is higher than the government set price.

There is a reason why no reasonable investor came in to invest in power. Government price setting.
That's a lie. Govt does not just set price. The pricing is based on some parameters. It's totally different from that of fuel which you're looking at it from.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by shortIGBOman: 10:18am On Jul 06, 2022
oz4real83:
I'm not talking about reversing the privatization but there are things he should have done to make the privatization useless without paying compensation to the evil private owners. This administration should have fully liberalised the sector and given more powers to states to generate, transmit and distribute without consulting or negotiating with distribution companies as they are doing now. Edo state govt went through hell in the hands of Bedc before they could establish the small power company they operate in the state. Federal govt also make gas either too expensive or inaccessible to state govts who engage in power generation, there was a period the Edo state failed to generate power from its company because of issue of gas unavailability\unaffordability. The discos should be made to stop acting like monopolies, let other companies also have power to generate, transmit and distribute within the areas where these discos are operating. Discos don't own the distribution facilities, we bought all the poles, wires and transformer in my area and we still paid BEDC to install them and at the end of the month still pay our monthly bills, many communities and individuals across the country did and keep doing the same thing, discos are only reaping where they didn't sowembarassed

Stop spreading false news about the so called "Edo power" that thing is nothing but sham. Obaseki is clueless and incompetent. Ikpeazu the Governor of Abia State is far better than Obaseki.

Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Larrykombe007: 10:23am On Jul 06, 2022
No wonder , we no see light buy since days �
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by bigpicture001: 10:33am On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

Well, trade unions like businesses exist to get the best deal for their members. No trade unions, bad deals for workers.

Plus NLC is opposed to removing price controls on power. The electricity workers union originally opposed the priivatisation effort.

Privatization is not bad... U see mayb the FG needs to bad all economic trade unions... See in the western world if u collude to set a price of a commodity, or gain market share or even gain undue advantage... U will b sanctioned heavily... That's what a. Free economy is all about...

U can't havve union on economics issues fixing prices to in the interest of a few hundred members and to d detriment of millions of Nigerians...

Abeg na obi dey come. Normal things should start looking abnormal... Reason am
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 06, 2022
oz4real83:
Gone are those days I used to blame GEJ for the evil privatization he did. Seven years are enough for PMB to correct all the errors in the evil privatization but he has absolutely nothing meaningful to offer. Power never improved for once throughout this administration. Bedc should be the worst among all the distribution companies, they don't even care about the public perception of them. Still no prepaid meters from Bedc. It has never been this bad in the history of this country. This administration took Nigeria to a messy state the country has never ever been in embarassed
The rottenness in Nigeria administrative system is an incurable virus that will keep on spreading unless a force that will cleanse the rottenness is put in place things will continue to get worse irrespective of who is president of the country. PMB will only act on information given to him by civil servants and aides which at most times window-dressed to favour themselves and their cronies.

Lyonel Imoke said some years ago that it will take Nigeria 50 years to get stable electricity because of what he saw as a Minister of Power
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 06, 2022
xperiencelove:
When I was a student in Ibadan, we fought NEPA when they brought 18k as monthly bill. We later went to their office to settle it, they collected the bill and generated another one for us with 8k.
Their boss in charge of account was asking his boys that raided the community how much they generated, they told him 140k and he instructed them to remit 80k. Which means they shared the balance of 40k among themselves. This happened in 2013.

Before the era of DISCOS and GENCOS which took off later that year.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 06, 2022
Ojuntana:

That's a lie. Govt does not just set price. The pricing is based on some parameters. It's totally different from that of fuel which you're looking at it from.

The issues facing the Nigerian power sector remains multi-faceted but in our view, top on the list is the non-cost reflective tariff. While we acknowledge that the current macroeconomic landscape may not be best suited for another hike in electricity tariffs, we note that the continued adoption of non-cost-reflective tariffs will exacerbate the anemic position of Discos, prevent the overhaul of poor transmission infrastructure, hinder private sector investments and constrain the development of the power sector. With government revenue under significant pressure, we believe government liquidity injections may prove to be insufficient in sustaining the power sector

Better read this, and comprehend.

Source: The Nigerian power sector, still in muddy waters.

Don't call me a liar again. .
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by ladgentle(m): 12:34pm On Jul 06, 2022
Guy you have made great submissions as always. So also some of the guys that have replied you. You all have made great points. The fact, just as you have pointed out, is that the tariff is not cost reflective. However the truth is that the purchasing power of the average Nigerian has been completely eroded. Stretching it further is a direct call for chaos. It's time we got ourselves leaders that are ready to think outside the box. All these text book solutions like the ones captured in the PWc report you referred to is akin to a doctor saying that the only way to save a patient's life is to cut off his head. Hmmm.... I don't envy whoever takes over from Buhari at all.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by mfm04622: 12:48pm On Jul 06, 2022
helinues:
The next president should actually look into the formation of AM ON. They are not doing their work at all

What do you think AM ON work is?.
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by Ojuntana: 12:52pm On Jul 06, 2022
Subsidywise20:

The issues facing the Nigerian power sector remains multi-faceted but in our view, top on the list is the non-cost reflective tariff. While we acknowledge that the current macroeconomic landscape may not be best suited for another hike in electricity tariffs, we note that the continued adoption of non-cost-reflective tariffs will exacerbate the anemic position of Discos, prevent the overhaul of poor transmission infrastructure, hinder private sector investments and constrain the development of the power sector. With government revenue under significant pressure, we believe government liquidity injections may prove to be insufficient in sustaining the power sector

Better read this, and comprehend.

Source: The Nigerian power sector, still in muddy waters.

Don't call me a liar again. .

I insist you're lying. When was this? The Minister for Finance said the FG has stopped paying subsidy on power because the latest tariff increase has moved to a sustainable stage for the Discos. Don't bring old stories to push a false narrative
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by JAWBONE(m): 1:26pm On Jul 06, 2022
AMCON takes over IBEDC

We start to dey get light for Ibadan.
AMCON thank you o
Re: 3 DisCos Get New Boards, AMCON Take Over IBEDC by alphaNomega: 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2022
dele1727:

How does this concern Buhari?

Jonathan privatised and sold the Disco and the Gencos...

If you want to criticise....lets be reasonable and think our contributions through...

In the case of security...you can knock Buhari as long as you like...because as an Ex-General....he is totally useless...but on this electricity issues...

Jonathan and PDP sold them under very foolish conditions..
Exactly the way Atiku planned to sell the refineries

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / PDP Blasts Buhari, Says He Has Nothing To Present To UN / Obi Maintains Lead In Anaps Third Presidential Poll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.