Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,025 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys (23068 Views)

Preventive Measures When Buying Land In Nigeria. / Things You Must Check When Buying A Land In Nigeria / Help! Guys, What is the cost of building 3 Bedroom flat in Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by professore(m): 10:36am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:
Good day guys hows your day going?

Guys am contemplating on getting landed property at two different locations in Lagos and honestly I be jjc when it comes to land measurements and stuffs like that. I nor know anything about the documents and all.

So am asking what should i look forward to? What kinds of documents must I get or request for as a sole ownership.

Help me guys before the follow go another road Waka.

Thank you
Check my profile. We have promo going on. I'm a cool guy, let me be your realtor 07032477173
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by IMPARTIAL: 10:39am On Jul 07, 2022
There is not much advice here.

The most important thing is to verify the owner at Lands Registry. If it's in Lagos, go to Alausa. Use a lawyer to search.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by CaptainFM1: 10:41am On Jul 07, 2022
The very first thing to look for is.....

THE LAND.

If you no see the land face to face and be sure say it meets what you want, don't buy it. No listen to all these Estate/Property Agents that will post fine pictures online or TV advert. Many of them, by the time you get to the land, na empty desert at best if not lagoon you will see.

Actually, not only applicable to buying Land. Anything you want to buy, make sure you see it for your koro-koro eyes.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Spontaneous007: 10:42am On Jul 07, 2022
torqque7:

Do you operate in Abuja too?

No. Lagos
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by brosammy(m): 10:50am On Jul 07, 2022
Before you buy land here are some things you need to put into consideration
1 the purpose of the land( commercial or residential). for a commercial purpose, it is better to go for land in a developed and open area
2 The Future prospect of the area, for example, the Epe axis of Lagos is now the new city to be explored due to the ongoing big project along that area such as Airport, Deep ocean seaport, Dangote refinery, etc.
3 the due diligence must be done on the land,i.e. doing underground checking of the land. Locating the actual family that owns the land; many people are now claiming a portion of land that actually didn't belong to them. confirming if the land didn't fall under government-owned land ( there are some land that the federal or state government might have marked out for a project, but some wicked people will still go ahead and sell the land to people in other to defraud them. confirming if there is no issue on the Land; some land has unresolved dispute issues for years, and some might even have cases in the court of law. buying such land is a disaster.
4 after the above you can now consult the owner of the land for his price and there you will ask for the necessary document that the land has.
for more inquiries kindly reach out to us via (+234)8061912304.
www.McYouniverse.com

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by komols856: 10:51am On Jul 07, 2022
The best way to check the genuity of landed properties in Lagos after inspection is by picking the coordinates of the land to chart about the history of the land in question. This will reveal the status of the land whether it's free from government acquisitions or not.
For more information of how to do it. Contact Fabian on +2348030897019.

I am a professional verified real estate consultant that have helped more than 800 people to acquire genuine property free from all forms of encumbrances and omonile wahala
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by greggng: 10:56am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Guys am contemplating on getting landed property at two different locations in Lagos and honestly I be jjc when it comes to land measurements and stuffs like that. I nor know anything about the documents and all.

So am asking what should i look forward to? What kinds of documents must I get or request for as a sole ownership.

Thank you

When I bought my land in lagos
I hired a property lawyer that investigated the place with the ministry of housing in alausa.
They ascertained is not govt land to avoid dispute
After payment , I did the survey and start building.

But most of my friends have bought land via real estate company .. we are supposed to pay for one last 4 months..for 8million ...right now it is sold for 25m now. In any case involve a good lawyer

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by sirgmili(m): 11:03am On Jul 07, 2022
Buying a land in Nigeria, especially in lagos is easy when you go through the right channels. As many persons have cited, a lawyer is important to help access the documents presented. And one more thing; you need a Surveyor. A surveyor will help you verify if the land is residential or not. you maybe buying a future road project too.

I speak as a professional surveyor.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Connected1: 11:06am On Jul 07, 2022
This is the best time to buy a land, during rainy season, if possible you can go check the land after a heavy rainfall the previous day, so that you don't go and buy a waterlogged area.

Go with an elderly man and make sure the seller's witness is an elderly man also. Get your papers since and proceed with surveying your land.

Note: Don't pay with cash, Go to the Bank and use a Teller or make a Solid Transfer and print out the paper for reference sake, payment with cash can't be used as evidence.

Laslas pray to what you believe in so that the deal can be successful.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by bolademi(m): 11:08am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Thank you

Hello
I m a land consultant
I can guide you when buying land in lagos. I can also advice you on area with good return on investment.
Thank you
Bolademi 08161638534
Property solutions and investment Ltd
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Preciousppearl(f): 11:10am On Jul 07, 2022
IBILEmayweather:
Get a good lawyer and surveyor and please avoid real estate companies especially PWan Signatures and others
please do u have any idea about greenpeak shelters and how genuine they are?
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by SimpleByNature(m): 11:11am On Jul 07, 2022
Hot Sales...
A plot of land is available for sale. It is fenced with gate.
Size: 668 sqms
Title : Deeds and Survey.
Price: 15m( slightly negotiable) Just a giveaway.
Call: Strategic Properties
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Kolaboluv7(m): 11:12am On Jul 07, 2022
ThinkWISELY:
A fenced land for sale at Folu close to Dangote Refinery, Ibeju Lekki , Lagos.

Serious buyers are welcomed, this is a direct deal and not all these property agent who don't know what they are doing or takes ages to allocate land to you .

Price: 85 Million Naira

Size : 5000 Square Meter Fenced

This Land is extremely increasing in value as time goes by , it's an investment never to regret especially in that location.

Land is spacious for Hotel, Mini Estate, Residential, Company, Ware house or Industry.

Now back to your question
Get a lawyer
Lagos for example, the standard measurement for a plot of land is 60’ x 120’ – 18m x 18m i.e 648 square meters. Other cities in the country also offer 50’ x 100’ measurement for a plot of land.No matter what you do, do not go into a deal in which the seller cannot provide the proof of ownership. It is also in the same vein that you must ensure you have all the documents required after the transaction, in order to avoid unnecessary issues with the government or land grabbers.
No matter what you do, DO NOT PAY IN CASH when buying a land. You must ensure everything is properly documented from the cost of the land to the receipt of survey fees. The only way you can save yourself from unnecessary stress in the future is by documenting all the payments.
Other notable factors, reasons,is it for residential or commercial purpose, access to roads, security and is it in an appreciation location

I hope this helps.

Person need advice na this nonsense you get to give am..

Make we try dey fear God na
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by horgarzer(m): 11:15am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Thank you
Be sure you are dealing with the original owner not representative. Don't let them fool you into believing the owner is abroad, we are dealing on his behalf. Be sure the real owner is there with you during the whole process of the land purchase.

I have land available in Agbara. Close to the popular Industrial area. Price ranges from 1m to 2m.
I also have the with 3 bedrooms built up to lintel level on it for 3.5million.

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by tunde82seidat(f): 11:19am On Jul 07, 2022
First of all , Location is very important in buying any property,make sure it's strategically located or better still within a good estate.

Secondly you should do your due diligence.make sure you're not buying a property with issues( ie one under committed acquisition) or has omonile issues.Take a surveyor to get coordinates to confirm this

Your search will enable you know the real owner of the property and the person to pay to

It will also enable you know if it has a good title or not .

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Germi9: 11:20am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Thank you
I am a surveyor and if you ask me,I’d tell you to either buy inside an estate especially in places like Abj , in lagos try to confirm from a land regulatory officer down there, they have records of already sold land, land in disputes, government lands and so on

2 Likes

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by ThinkWISELY(m): 11:22am On Jul 07, 2022
Kolaboluv7:

Person need advice na this nonsense you get to give am..

Make we try dey fear God na

You sef try dey Chill grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by TeamLeader(m): 11:24am On Jul 07, 2022
IBILEmayweather:
Get a good lawyer and surveyor and please avoid real estate companies especially PWan Signatures and others

Thank you bro. Please do you have any experience with pwan? I'll like to know in fact my friend who works there is on my neck to get a land through them.

Abeg enlighten me bro
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by TeamLeader(m): 11:25am On Jul 07, 2022
Topmaike007:
Always make sure there is no corner piece there before buying it because they might have sold it to other person..the thing do me this January I think say na joke

Thanks bro. Do they give you any documents before discovering this?
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by TeamLeader(m): 11:26am On Jul 07, 2022
kerry57:
Shine ur eye kawaii. Na him be my own cos always everyone from naija na scammer.

Noted boss
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by bonnyhope: 11:30am On Jul 07, 2022
IBILEmayweather:

Share with us your experience with Pwan company
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Topmaike007(m): 11:38am On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Thanks bro. Do they give you any documents before discovering this?
I bought the land and I was giving documents but where I noticed foul play was that someone sold the land to a particular woman and the woman was only given receipt but was not given documents for the land and the person that she bought the land from is late now and the brothers claimed there elder brother didn't Carry them along when he was busy selling the family lands and for that she is not recognized as the legitimate land owner..

OGA this said woman went to hire thugs and they refused me from building on the land ..las las we settled it but it cost me 10%

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by bonnyhope: 11:39am On Jul 07, 2022
INTEGRITYA1:

Hello, in response to your enquiry.

The first thing is the reason why you are buying. Like you wanted to buy and build for personal living, are you planning to move in anytime soon or later.

Do you wanted to buy and sell later in the future.

In terms of documents, to be on the safe side the minimum tittle you should look out for is Approved Excision.

If land have Approved Excision you can be so sure of other documentations.

In all, your budget and your financial capacity is another thing. If you can afford it currently, land with tittle documents like Gazette, Governor's Concept or C of o are all fine but they are more expensive.

Now, it's necessary you conduct searching on the land you wanted to buy in order to confirm how genuine it is and this have to be carried out at Alausa Secretariat since you're buying from Lagos.

To have peace of mind if you can afford it but from genuine real estate company.

I'm an Estate Consultant and there are good offers readily available that you can look into.

Take time out let schedule physical Inspection.

INTEGRITYA1
@ Op, this have some true points as regard to land title.

But shine your eyes with all these estate people

Some of them will not allocate land to you after payment

Keep posting you
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by southking92(m): 11:44am On Jul 07, 2022
Spontaneous007:
I think the major things you should look out for are
- The doctrine of Lis pendis
- Certificate of occupancy (C of O)
- Prospect
- MOST IMPORTANTLY, your pocket size!

I’m a Real Estate oriented digital marketer. I can help you sell your lands and houses in 1 week. Contact me on WhatsApp 0.9.0.1.3.2.6.6.4.6.2

where are u based,.

I have a property for sale in Port Harcourt. a 576,990sq meter of land, 120million naira asking price.

contact me let's do business
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Yansham: 11:45am On Jul 07, 2022
You need to, first of all, make an informed decision about whether you want to buy from Omo onile or a Real Estate Company. They both have their pros and cons.

If you decide to buy from an omo onile, you will need to do thorough due diligence to ascertain that you are buying from the rightful owner/family.

Secondly, you have to be sure the land you are buying is not under government acquisition. Involve people like lawyer and charislegal for your due diligence. After your due diligence checks out and you purchase the land, prepare to start building a fence and place a gate. Leaving the land idle is a big risk as they can sell the land to another person.

Aside from this, you will need to perfect your title with the government and need to keep visiting the land from time to time to prevent anybody from trespassing on the land. Your problem with Omo onile doesn't end there. During construction, they will be a pain in your ass by extorting you at various stages of your construction.

However, their lands are always cheap but come with a lot of problems.

On the other hand, real estate companies are scattered all over the place. A lot of them are fraudulent. You need to sieve out the fraudulent ones from the real ones.

Some of the problems you will encounter from fraudulent real estate companies include not doing allocation after you complete payment for the land, selling lands with bad title, not making payment to the Omo onile they bought land from, allocating a different place to you which is different from what they showed you, and selling more than the number of plots they have.

You will also be mandated to pay for development fees, survey, and deed of assignment. These fees are not out of place. In addition, their prices for land are also exorbitant. You also need a lawyer to carry out due diligence for you before you commit your funds to them. They also have estate rules which will also indicate the type of house you can build and the type of house you can not build. You need to confirm all of these too.

In my opinion, patronizing the legit real estate companies comes with a lot of peace of mind when compared with Omo onile. At the end of the day, the choice is yours to make.

2 Likes

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by INTEGRITYA1(m): 11:49am On Jul 07, 2022
bonnyhope:

Keep posting you

Some are doing that, keep posting you. But we have lot that are doing Allocations and clients are building.

I'm readily available for further discussions.
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by TeamLeader(m): 11:49am On Jul 07, 2022
Topmaike007:
I bought the land and I was giving documents but where I noticed foul play was that someone sold the land to a particular woman and the woman was only given receipt but was not given documents for the land and the person that she bought the land from is late now and the brothers claimed there elder brother didn't Carry them along when he was busy selling the family lands and for that she is not recognized as the legitimate land owner..

OGA this said woman went to hire thugs and they refused me from building on the land ..las las we settled it but it cost me 10%

Omoh. Thank you for sharing tho
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by TeamLeader(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2022
bonnyhope:

Keep posting you

Good one. Thank you bro
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by kingogundana: 11:55am On Jul 07, 2022
Land matter in Nigeria is like hell fire and if you don't do it right once and for all you might miss it for life or put your money on a wrong hand
Below are the listed thing you need to ask yourself?
What is the purpose of buying land now ?
Farming
Residential
Commercial purpose
You need to first answer this question

After you know your purpose of buying :
Look for the land you want to buy be it from real estate company or from individual which we called Omo onile

Whether you are buying from either of the two
Make sure you carry your SURVEYOR GOTO THE LAND (I mean a registered surveyor) he will take the coordinates of the land to state lands matter in your state to check whether the land is not committed (under acquisition) this will save you from future headache
THE ABOVE IS VERY COMPULSORY STEP IF YOU DONT DO THIS DONT BUY THE LAND

After your search from sruveyor IF SUCCESSFUL
You can now begin with question about the document that back the land so as to know rightful owner and other documentation you might need to do later in the future but make sure the genuiness of part of this documentation can be known by your lawyer and surveyor they will need to work hand in hand

So once your surveyor and lawyer give you clear picture about the land you can go ahead with payment option via your lawyer

I think this few information will help you for now
I wish you best of luck

If you need further free counsel about lands matter am open for all free
Thank you

1 Like

Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Mumben(f): 11:59am On Jul 07, 2022
ppogba:

Since you want to learn,.let me help you.
* Land appreciates with time. FACT.
* One can never go wrong with investment on land. BIGGEST LIE EVER TOLD. With the situation in Nigeria right from the dubious attitude of all and sundry to the non existing, effective judicial system, you will be lucky to get 2 out of every 10 investment on land right. Other with little or no experience may fault my statistics.
* Why the land is difficult to sell. Most likely due to location, topography, notoriety of the area, price be mentioned amongst other reasons. If the area is under- developed or damn to far.

Credit my account with my consultation fee ASAP.
Thanks for your analysis, I appreciate
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by engrhorla(m): 12:00pm On Jul 07, 2022
Ensure the land has the necessary documents

And immediately you transfer the money (don't pay cash), collect the documents!

The documents should include:
Survey plan
C of O
Proof of Ownership - do transfer of ownership immediately!

By the way, you must go with a witness

And record everything on your mobile.

Actually, buying land from a Real Estate development company is the best these days.
Because one can't be too careful.

I am a Regional Manager with Adron Homes and Properties Limited

You can contact me
Re: What Should I Look Out For When Buying A Land? Help Guys by Clean2016: 12:00pm On Jul 07, 2022
TeamLeader:

Thank you

LOOK FOR A GOOD LAND SURVEYOR FIRST. [color=#990000][/color]

All other things follow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Are The Types Of Roofing Materials, Costs And Scenario Recommendations / Police Evacuate 5 Bodies From Abia Collapsed Building, Arrest Contractor / Cost To Supervise A Foundation Of 2storey Building Of 6flats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.