Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,441 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (15629 Views)

Nigerian King And His 4 Wives In Matching Outfits Causes Stir In London / Thousands Of Topless Swaziland's Virgins Dance For King To Celebrate Womanhood / National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 9:25pm On Jul 30, 2011
I said it's ok. Everyone is really tired of your Ngwa this, Ngwa that.

Are you really ok?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2011
I'll be okay once you lot learn to shut the hell up and stop propagating lies. 'Til then, I guess you'll just have to accept the fact that I will gladly poo on everything you say.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2011
I'll advise you to create as many threads as you want for Ngwa people and leave Igbo people alone.

Many don't want to hear Ngwa in Igbo threads any more.

Go and discuss Ngwa with your people.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2011
See the nonsense you're writing. We are here talking about Nri influence on these people we now call "Igbo" and you don't want me to open up my mouth and speak of Ngwa? What kind of line of thought it that? Is Ngwa not part of this you "Igbo" construction anymore?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 9:33pm On Jul 30, 2011
@chinenyeN and others,the issue here is that the writer made a mistake and some ignorant people are capitalizing on it to claim a one Igbo that has never and will never exist.I will dig a map of Igboland where we can point out where Nri was consulted.

What I was able to deduce was that the basic culture of Igbo was influenced by Nri but they were not recognised by all Igbos.The same goes with the Isuama who provided the basic Igbo language that even the Nri speak.Eze Nri is for Nri and his children and not for all Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
Abagworo:

@chinenyeN and others,the issue here is that the writer made a mistake and some ignorant people are capitalizing on it to claim a one Igbo that has never and will never exist.I will dig a map of Igboland where we can point out where Nri was consulted.

What I was able to deduce was that the basic culture of Igbo was influenced by Nri but they were not recognised by all Igbos.The same goes with the Isuama who provided the basic Igbo language that even the Nri speak.Eze Nri is for Nri and his children and not for all Igbos.
Thank You.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 9:38pm On Jul 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

See the nonsense you're writing. We are here talking about Nri influence on these people we now call "Igbo" and you don't want me to open up my mouth and speak of Ngwa? What kind of line of thought it that? Is Ngwa not part of this you "Igbo" construction anymore?

As far as NL is concerned, there should henceforth be a complete divide between Igbo and Ngwa threads.

Call on your people for discussion, we are Ohnuhnu , so leave us alone.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:39pm On Jul 30, 2011
You know. I really don't have any problem with any of you. In fact, this isn't about you all. It isn't even about Ngwa vs Igbo or any nonsense like that. It's about what you all are saying. I won't sit here and let you tell lies like this. I just won't, and that's really all there is to it. Aside from that I've got no problem with any of you.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 10:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
A table of basic cultural groups

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:22pm On Jul 30, 2011
This thread continues to make me angry. I will only recognize the Eze Aro. Not some eze whose authority is only found amongst the Northern Igbo clans. angry
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 10:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
I knew these Northern Igbo clans were trying to have cultural hegemony over the other Igbo clans. angry
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 10:45pm On Jul 30, 2011
EzeUche:

I knew these Northern Igbo clans were trying to have cultural hegemony over the other Igbo clans. angry

This is quite touchy coming from our most die hard pro-Igboist on NL.I hope you now understand where me and ChinenyeN were coming from all those while you were accussing us of being clanists.Igbos traditionally considered there Clan as a different ethnic group from their next door clan even though they spoke similar language until the early colonial days.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 10:59pm On Jul 30, 2011
Abagworo:

What I was able to deduce was that the basic culture of Igbo was influenced by Nri but they were not recognised by all Igbos.[size=15pt]The same goes with the Isuama who provided the basic Igbo language that even the Nri speak.[/size]Eze Nri is for Nri and his children and not for all Igbos.

You have heard it from the horse's mouth, Nri used to speak Hausa before they learnt Igbo from Isuama.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 11:01pm On Jul 30, 2011
EzeUche:

This thread continues to make me angry. I will only recognize the Eze Aro. Not some eze whose authority is only found amongst the Northern Igbo clans.  angry

You can chose who to recognise just like Americans stopped recognizing the authority of the British Monarch. It's not new but history remains unchanged.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 11:03pm On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

You have heard it from the horse's mouth, Nri used to speak Hausa before they learnt Igbo from Isuama.
You love over-doing your sarcasm.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 11:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

You love over-doing your sarcasm.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 11:13pm On Jul 30, 2011
EzeUche:

This thread continues to make me angry. I will only recognize the Eze Aro. Not some eze whose authority is only found amongst the Northern Igbo clans.  angry
EzeUche:

I knew these Northern Igbo clans were trying to have cultural hegemony over the other Igbo clans.  angry

All the times before, you were sweatin me over 'clannishness'. You understand now. I don't have a problem with "Igbo" or being "Igbo", but I've always had a problem when people would begin saying things, like the things we've been reading in this thread, in an attempt to give a disgustingly erroneous sense of homogeneity. And to be quite honest (and if people would allow me to be uninhibited and straight-forward just this once) I've always found it to be insulting.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 11:20pm On Jul 30, 2011
Abagworo:

This is quite touchy coming from our most die hard pro-Igboist on NL.I hope you now understand where me and ChinenyeN were coming from all those while you were accussing us of being clanists.Igbos traditionally considered there Clan as a different ethnic group from their next door clan even though they spoke similar language until the early colonial days.

I only understand that there are elements amongst our Northern Igbo brethren who wish to have cultural hegemony over all Igbos.

Let us not forget that many of these Northern Igbo clans do not consider other Igbo clans as true "Igbos." It angers me that they are trying to force the Eze Nri on us.

I never heard of Nri until some Igbos on NL started to speak about the "greatness" of Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by EzeUche(m): 11:23pm On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

You can chose who to recognise just like Americans stopped recognizing the authority of the British Monarch. It's not new but history remains unchanged.

That is YOUR history. It is not the history of the Aro people and those who made up the confederacy.

It is interesting that the Northern Igbo clans are using the Eze Nri to claim cultural hegemony over the other groups. You cannot use your military history, because only the Southern and Eastern Igbo clans have a proud history of military domination.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 11:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

All the times before, you were sweatin me over 'clannishness'. You understand now. I don't have a problem with "Igbo" or being "Igbo", but I've always had a problem when people would begin saying things, like the things we've been reading in this thread, in an attempt to give a disgustingly erroneous sense of homogeneity. And to be quite honest (and if people would allow me to be uninhibited and straight-forward just this once) I've always found it to be insulting.

EzeUche:

That is YOUR history. It is not the history of the Aro people and those who made up the confederacy.

It is interesting that the Northern Igbo clans are using the Eze Nri to claim cultural hegemony over the other groups. You cannot use your military history, because only the Southern and Eastern Igbo clans have a proud history of military domination.

You all missed the point.
Whether you chose to believe the authority of Nri or not is not the issue. The fact is that Aro is younger than Nri and Aro was formed by Igbos and Aro had no authority over any other Igbo town or clan.

Ngwa is young and were of Mbaise descent.

No one is trying to establish hegemony over anyone. Nri never had army because that's not their system. Nri was not in control of my town (not far from Nri) and Nri clan does not exist. But the fact remains that Nri influence was felt across Igboland, including my town, and beyond and this was achieved not through war or coercion. If you dispute that, then you basically have problem. Whether that influence reached your town or clan does not make your town or clan bigger than Nri in Igboland. The bolded is the basic of all this dispute.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 11:26pm On Jul 30, 2011
EzeUche:

I only understand that there are elements amongst our Northern Igbo brethren who wish to have cultural hegemony over all Igbos.

Let us not forget that many of these Northern Igbo clans do not consider other Igbo clans as true "Igbos." It angers me that they are trying to force the Eze Nri on us.

I never heard of Nri until some Igbos on NL started to speak about the "greatness" of Nri.

This is uncalled for.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 11:38pm On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

Ngwa is young and were of Mbaise descent.
No, not really. The whole "we came from Mbaise" is just a summarization of the Imo Crossing tale.

Obiagu1:

Whether that influence reached your town or clan does not make your town bigger than Nri in Igboland. The bolded is the basic of all this dispute.
If this is the basic of all the dispute, then there shouldn't even be a dispute in the first place, because one here has claimed that their own town is bigger (in terms of influence) than Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Chyz2: 11:43pm On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

If you don't know about the travelling Nri priests, then let it be.

It's ok, Nri had no influence over Ngwa but don't speak for Mbaise people.

As far as Ezilihitte, there is nothing like Nri there. Not even a whisper of it anywhere. I don't know abt the rest of Mbaise but as far as Eziliitte goes, Chinenye is right.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Obiagu1(m): 11:51pm On Jul 30, 2011
ChinenyeN:

No, not really. The whole "we came from Mbaise" is just a summarization of the Imo Crossing tale.
If this is the basic of all the dispute, then there shouldn't even be a dispute in the first place, because one here has claimed that their own town is bigger (in terms of influence) than Nri.

Some did and tried to diminish Nri to the extent that he was said be lesser than some kings in Igboland.  sad

Why this is like that is because Nri did not establish army. The codes and laws that maintained peace in Igboland basically originated from Nri. If you look at Igboland, there exist no other king. Kingship exist only at the fringes of Igboland which more or less could be said to be borrowed.

Most of the laws had been laid down in antiquity and spread as Igbos spread across Igboland. They may not need to pay homage to Nri but the basic laws remained with them.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 12:03am On Jul 31, 2011
Obiagu1:

Some did and tried to diminish Nri to the extent that he was said be lesser than some kings in Igboland.  sad

Why this is like that is because Nri did not establish army. The codes and laws that maintained peace in Igboland basically originated from Nri. If you look at Igboland, there exist no other king. Kingship exist only at the fringes of Igboland which more or less could be said to be borrowed.

Most of the laws had been laid down in antiquity and spread as Igbos spread across Igboland. They may not need to pay homage to Nri but the basic laws remained with them.
Some particulars aside, get what you're saying.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Chyz2: 12:09am On Jul 31, 2011
I think where the problem lies is in the "lording over the Igbo" with the claims of cultural and religious ownership, which suggest a type of authority over non-Nri people and subordination. This could have easily been avoided by refraining from describing Eze Nri as the "most important man in Igboland", actual dates, and oral stories oral stories be every Igbo clan which proves contact with the Nri. Why was the Eze Nri called such and not Eze[. . .] of which ever we Igbos were suppositly named back then? If all "embraced Nri" and drop whatever practices we had back then to replace it with theirs then what stop us from taking the title of Nri. This is just one way of looking at it.

There is no need to insult each other on the matter. This thread just shows that we are real "Igbo" people. We don't stand still and just let anybody lord/king over us, especially when we were never informed. You can only imagine how brutal we were back in the day when something as such went down. Any way, is there any information on how "Nri" came up with the cultural and religious practices? And please, I dont want to hear about the Gad story. Its a clear European addition.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 1:24am On Jul 31, 2011
Look at it like this: without Nri and Eze Nri there would be no Igbo culture as it is today, or even 'Igbo'. Without any other Eze, lineage, or any sort of other government, there would be no difference in wider Igbo culture. Who is the most important person in Igbo culture and religion? grin
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 1:26am On Jul 31, 2011
EzeUche:

It angers me that they are trying to force the Eze Nri on us.

It's gotta beat getting your village raided. shocked

Kidding.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 1:27am On Jul 31, 2011
Abagworo:

A table of basic cultural groups

Why is Ohuhu and Ngwa linked, and Bende.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Abagworo(m): 5:26am On Jul 31, 2011
Ohuhu and Ngwa are traditionally linked if you have read Ngwa history.The Ohuhu were just in Bende division while Ngwa was in Aba division.

ezeagu:

Why is Ohuhu and Ngwa linked, and Bende.

Again for those who did not know,there is an Igbo clan known as Umunri under which much of Anambra State falls.Awka is a sister clan which I dont know how related they are.The Igbo clans have been rearranged giving birth to a neo-grouping of different people as one.The Whitemen were able to recognise the differences not to talk of we Igbos.

The summary is that Nri had cultural influences but the Eze Nri is not recognised by majority of Igbo.The beauty of this whole debate is that Igbo has no King.You cannot write about the Oba of Benin and have Edos arguing about his recognition amongst their various clans.

Igbo enwe Eze.

UmuIgbo nma nma nu!

Rie nu!

Nuo nu!
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by OfoIgbo: 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2011
@Ezeagu, I don't expect the Edo on the streets to still know this, however the royal household and the major traditionalists in Edoland will know that.

@Abagworo, your gateman may be more important to you in traditional officiation in your household, but unfortunately, the commonwealth of Virginia and the organisers of the Igbo village event will rather stick with Eze Nri as the Igbo traditional supremo to perform the rites.

Everyone, the thing is that a lot of people who don't know and should rather learn from what they are being taught are here, trying to force their ignorance down the throats of the more enlightened.

I can assure you that all of the people challenging Nri cultural domination will find it difficult to name their great grand parents without ringing home to find out from dad or mum.
They definitely will not know the names of their Great Great Grand Parents. Bear in mind these individuals were responsible for your being in this world.

So how do I expect you to know anything about Nri, when you can't name your own ancestors to a simple seventh generation?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by OfoIgbo: 1:03pm On Jul 31, 2011
@Abagworo, Umu-Nri is a clan that comprises of Enugwu-Ukwu, Agukwu-Nri (at times referred to, as Nri), Nawfia and Enugwu-Agidi.

It is also interesting to note that each of these towns has common boundary with Awka. The implication is that Awka has a lot of Nri blood through marriage and migration.
Indeed Awka was a town renowned for the best blacksmiths in Igboland, and in fact were responsible for much of the blacksmithing that went on in the middle ages in Igboland. It was a town that was well within the Nri sphere of influence and it did flourish because of the relative peace and nearness to Umu-Nri, that it enjoyed and still enjoys.

However, as I said earlier, Umu Nri can be found in about 150 Igbo towns, and they are all descended from the aforementioned Umu-Nri clan made up of Enugwu-Agidi, Enugwu-Ukwu, Agukwu-Nri, Nawfia.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ondo Masquerades Arrested After Robbery Operation / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo. / Can You Marry An Ijebu Lady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.