Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,213 members, 7,780,392 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:32 PM

Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA (31380 Views)

Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / She Graduated With A CGPA Of 4.99 From Covenant University / I Was Very Sad When I Had A B, Says Graduate With 4.99 Cgpa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Fimmy(m): 7:56am On Jul 27, 2011
PLS STOP SAYING NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.AS AT NOW ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO HAVE 24HOURS ELECTRICITY IN 9IJA,, pls its not possible to have a 4.99CGPA.how was it calculated?how many course did he offered.did he have A's in all his courses?who re his teachers?cos i dont think they ve lecturers there.make the guy come O.A.U i beg.i bet there is no Prof or Dr is that school.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by BabaO2: 8:15am On Jul 27, 2011
This is a cheat even corroborated with his past antecedents, shame on a school that cannot identify first class material
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by searay(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2011
Has he pass an exams called Stress? 5.99 is equivalent to 3.0 in Uniuyo. I volunteer to compete with this guy any tym any day. My no is 080279....4
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Okijajuju1(m): 8:17am On Jul 27, 2011
For those asking for sound reasoning as to why it is mathematically impossible to make a 4.99 GPA, its either you have never been in a university or you are just too gullible and prolly believe that Elijah flew to heaven in a chariot of fire,

Now let's say the student in question did a total of 50 courses, it would be possible for him to get a 5.0 GPA if he scored 100% on all tests and examinations he ever sat for in school, (Which we all know is impossible), That said, another factor that should be considered is the credit hour of each course, For the undergrad and graduates, you all remember how some courses are 1 credit hour, 2 credit all the way to 3 (even 4 in some rare cases), This variance also affects the impact of a grade on your culmulative average, This means, if he scored an 80 in a 1 cred course, it wouldn't make as much diff as an 80 in a 3 credit course. So are we saying this kid made a 99.9% in all his courses from first year to final year (including his project), Puleeeze, Even so, mathematically, it wouldn't compute to make a 4.99 GPA,

Its either we have an accounting genious such as the world has never seen before, or Convenant university degree should be put on the back of Kellogs Rice krispies packet,
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dammywale(m): 8:20am On Jul 27, 2011
Guy, stop this argument of which one is the best. The only thing you guys should be discussing about is how those people graduating from all our universities will secure a job after their university education.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by ednut1(m): 8:21am On Jul 27, 2011
Thank god we have his surname, when he starts ICAN we will if he is truly good. Bt i hail the guy, all dis hating will jst elevate him to d top
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by BabaO2: 8:25am On Jul 27, 2011
For those asking for sound reasoning as to why it is mathematically impossible to make a 4.99 GPA, its either you have never been in a university or you are just too gullible and prolly believe that Elijah flew to heaven in a chariot of fire,

Now let's say the student in question did a total of 50 courses, it would be possible for him to get a 5.0 GPA if he scored 100% on all tests and examinations he ever sat for in school,  (Which we all know is impossible),  That said, another factor that should be considered is the credit hour of each course,  For the undergrad and graduates, you all remember how some courses are 1 credit hour, 2 credit all the way to 3 (even 4 in some rare cases),  This variance also affects the impact of a grade on your culmulative average,  This means, if he scored an 80 in a 1 cred course, it wouldn't make as much diff as an 80 in a 3 credit course. So are we saying this kid made a 99.9% in all his courses from first year to final year (including his project),  Puleeeze,  Even so, mathematically, it wouldn't compute to make a 4.99 GPA,

Its either we have an accounting genious such as the world has never seen before, or Convenant university degree should be put on the back of Kellogs Rice krispies packet,

Which university did you attend, i dont seem to understand what you are struggling to explain.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by charlesxpe: 8:30am On Jul 27, 2011
Its so annoying when I see people talking shits like 'IF HE WAS IN OAU UNILAG OR UI'. Thats the problem with Nigerians, we kill ourselves. This Dude irrespective of his University, took good advantage and he came out with a 4.99. Mind you there are other people that were in that school who came out with a 3rd class. So you idiots should just keep your mouth shut and stop hating that it's because its the school. If it itches you, buy a form and go to CU and let me see if you would come out with a 2.2 sef. Majority of the people hating here, if we analyse your educational background, its not that you were even brilliant. MSCHEWWW, HATERS,

And for the 4.99 Student; Congrats, it was a good try. Please use your God given talent to develop your nation so that you would be seen as an asset to your generation.  wink
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by teskyg: 8:36am On Jul 27, 2011
4.99 from Covenant University is equivalent to a 3rd class in a Federal university,
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by VALIDATOR: 8:38am On Jul 27, 2011
@Okijajuju,
You don't need to score 100% in all your courses to make 5.0 GPA. You need to score 70 % in EVERY course.That will give you an A in each course.You scoring B in just one or two courses may still land you 4.99 GPA depending on the weight of the course involved.e.g having a B in a 1 unit course does not have serious consequences on your GPA.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by chamber2(m): 8:39am On Jul 27, 2011
Congrats to the young man.What amazes me is his age, he is just 20!

@Okija_juju

In my school back in the days.This is how GPAs are calculated;

1 unit=6 points
2units=10points
3units=15 points

An A=70%.So, someone who made 90% in a course and his mate who made 70% will be in the same grade of A.

So, if you make an A in a one unit course you get 6 points and so on.

Assuming this guy took 50 courses and made 49 As and a B, then there is possibility that he may graduate with a CGPA of 4.99

BTW, what is the essence of this criticism? Are you assuming that this guy cheated his way out or that the institution awarded him marks he never merited as a marketing tool?Pls lets desist from this Pull him Down syndrome and encourage other young ones to strive for excellence
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dibiapeterchukwukayahoo(m): 8:47am On Jul 27, 2011
Na only laff I dey laff!
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by sandee575(f): 8:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Another Pentecostal advert for "believers".
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Knight1(m): 8:49am On Jul 27, 2011
Okija_juju:

Now let's say the student in question did a total of 50 courses, it would be possible for him to get a 5.0 GPA if he scored 100% on all tests and examinations he ever sat for in school,  (Which we all know is impossible),  That said, another factor that should be considered is the credit hour of each course,  For the undergrad and graduates, you all remember how some courses are 1 credit hour, 2 credit all the way to 3 (even 4 in some rare cases),  This variance also affects the impact of a grade on your culmulative average,  This means, if he scored an 80 in a 1 cred course, it wouldn't make as much diff as an 80 in a 3 credit course. So are we saying this kid made a 99.9% in all his courses from first year to final year (including his project),  Puleeeze,  Even so, mathematically, it wouldn't compute to make a 4.99 GPA,

I'm beginning to tilt towards the idea that you've not entered a university before. you do not have to get 100% in all your courses to have a 5.0, A is 70%

if he did total of 200 units, to have a 5.0gpa, he'd have had 1000 credits total,
to have a 4.99gpa, he'd have had 998 credits total
1000-998=2!
if he had a B in a two credit unit course, he'd lose just 2! points (2*5(A)-2*4(B))=2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Templa(m): 8:53am On Jul 27, 2011
I went to a federal uni.
If all my scripts were marked correctlty, if the lecturers were sincere and hardworking, I shud grad with a first class

Congrats to the CU guy.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by phuckNL: 8:53am On Jul 27, 2011
searay:

Has he pass an exams called Stress? 5.99 is equivalent to 3.0 in Uniuyo. I volunteer to compete with this guy any tym any day. My no is 08027966654

Another empty barrel. One of the numerous "Olodo Graduates" from federal universities. I don't blame you guys. All they taught you in fed univs is just to buy hand outs, read and pass. No knowledge gained whatsover.

If any of you were smart at all, you would know and expect students from private universities to have better GPA's than fed univs. The student teacher ratio is way better than fed univs, the lecturers are not as frustrated as fed univs, the students actually LEARN unlike you olodos that just know how to read and pass.

The way most people have responded on this thread definitely shows that most of you that went to fed univs are truly "UNEMPLOYABLE"  Your critical reasoning skills are lacking!
People score 5.0 GPA's and 4.9ers like pure water in the US all the time. Are the US schools junk? The fact that you made a "pass" in a fed univ is totally your problem. Stop shitting on someone who actually made something of himself.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by chamber2(m): 8:59am On Jul 27, 2011
@phuck_NL

you don't need to respond to comments like this. I wonder why any right thinking person would assume that smart people are only found in federal unis or their almighty O.A.U.There are smart people everywhere in the world.I didn't go to a private uni but i do believe that there are a lot of smart guys there.Graduating with a 4.99 CGPA is possible contrary to what some folks believe.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by seyi42k(m): 9:01am On Jul 27, 2011
Hi guys,

Having read arguments for and against, I believe all parties have a point. Give the average Nigerian student an enabling environment and he/she will perform. That said, I believe a 4.99 might be mathematically inconsistent though the guy might be very good.

Also, it is possible for the guy to have challenges in secondary school (didn't we all) and still do well in a tertiary institution. It is all down to focus and determination.

However, we are not dealing with the real issue, which is that someone like that and people like him should be employed by the government, research institute, universities, chartered bodies e.t.c to focus on research that will enrich their respective courses. The irony of it all is that the best that will come out of all this is probably a scholarship that will lead to a job in Shell or Mobil but the whole nation and academic community loses out.

For Werepeleri who said he got 4.91 from Unilag, that is very possible and it is laudable. I graduated from accounting department in Unilag in a set that had 15 1st class in 2005, infact we had the best graduating student for the whole school. Before cynics start criticizing, those guys were all brilliant including majority of the class and you know why, the jamb that brought us in was brutal as that was the period jamb brought paper coding and the rest. Therefore most of the students that got in across departments in Unilag merited it and it was also true that their jambs scores were not all that fantastic including mine but it showed that we did it ourselves.

The point I am making is that all the 15 1st are gainfully employed in Auditing firms, Banking, Oil and Gas etc and you know what, they are no different from me that graduated with a 2:1 because we are all employees and not employers of labour. Infact, their complain is no different from mine.

That, my friends, is the real tragedy of Nigerian Educational system I will rejoice the day a Nigerian 1st class graduate become a farmer that feeds millions, develop our silicon valley, build our first car and design our first rocket but until then we will hear in the next 1 or 2 years about another academic feat by a Nigerian student.

So let us leave the guy alone and hand him over to his prospective employer to determine the viability of his result. After all, he will probably end up in an Oil & Gas firm, audit firm or bank telling his subordinates in the future how he graduated with a 4.99 CGPA.

smiley

1 Like

Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dustydee: 9:04am On Jul 27, 2011
Those crying foul here I know if you are enrolled in CU, will not graduate with a first class so cut the hate.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by chamber2(m): 9:05am On Jul 27, 2011
That, my friends, is the real tragedy of Nigerian Educational system I will rejoice the day a Nigerian 1st class graduate become a farmer that feeds millions, develop our silicon valley, build our first car and design our first rocket but until then we will hear in the next 1 or 2 years about another academic feat by a Nigerian student.

Bottom line
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Borat1: 9:08am On Jul 27, 2011
"If he went to this Uni, If he went to that Uni. . "
Hello!! he didnt go to this or that Uni, he went to covenant
Now he graduated with a 4.99, however questionable it is. His future is secured
He'd definitely get a very good job with all the backing he'd get from Covenant Uni Admin
While you sit at your pc trying to grapple with the fact you graduated with a 3rd class from a FEDERAL UNIVERSITY  grin

P.S: "He went to a private hospital. If he went to a federal hospital like me, he'd have had his legs amputated"
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by 2rez: 9:11am On Jul 27, 2011
charlesxpe:

Its so annoying when I see people talking shits like 'IF HE WAS IN OAU UNILAG OR UI'. Thats the problem with Nigerians, we kill ourselves. This Dude irrespective of his University, took good advantage and he came out with a 4.99. Mind you there are other people that were in that school who came out with a 3rd class. So you idiots should just keep your mouth shut and stop hating that it's because its the school. If it itches you, buy a form and go to CU and let me see if you would come out with a 2.2 sef. Majority of the people hating here, if we analyse your educational background, its not that you were even brilliant. MSCHEWWW, HATERS,

And for the 4.99 Student; Congrats, it was a good try. Please use your God given talent to develop your nation so that you would be seen as an asset to your generation.  wink

CYI! Idiot dey here n still callin som people idiot. FYI, yhu tha only idiot here oh k. Magarized imbe,
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 27, 2011
I would be more impressed if he achieved that in good old UI or OAU or something similar. These private universities mostly have lax standards; churning out plenty watery first class and 2.1s are probably ploys to attract attention and cheap publicity to themselves. Yes, I said that.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by munaco: 9:14am On Jul 27, 2011
most jamb candidate will apply for a federal university first b/4 private university, but the guy went for private uni and came out with 4.99 GPA. MAYBE THE FAIL HIM JAMB OR HIM PAPA GET MONEY TO TAKE PASS AM.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dabraska: 9:18am On Jul 27, 2011
its sickening 2 hear our so-called "graduates" talk in dis manner! I am a covenant graduate and if u hvnt passed thru dat school, believe me, u can say rubbish about dat school based on wat u hear!

for a student to pass out wif a 4.99 CGPA, its not a joke at all, and whoever has doubts about it shud go nd lick lime or get a form and enroll in C.U.

u r praising ur federal universities! where u bribe lecturers and all sorts, absurd comments! most of dese pple hv neva been to C.U itself! No wonder y companies dont want to employ graduates 4rm sum of dese federal universities! mscheww!

haters! ask urself dis question!! no offence oo! but if u had d money, will u enroll in a federal university
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by atasteve: 9:18am On Jul 27, 2011
Congrats, smiley
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dxavier: 9:25am On Jul 27, 2011
CU is no respected university,let him prove his worth with others
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by zikclassiq(m): 9:28am On Jul 27, 2011
Kudus 2 d guy! This wil b difficult in federal or state universities sha. Not to talk about science or engineering courses, 4.9!?
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by emmke(m): 9:30am On Jul 27, 2011
phuck_NL:

Look at all these bad belle OLODO federal university grads. You guys are loooosers. I have a family friend that went to IFE during the dayz of the cult and school shutdowns. The guy was barely making a 2/2 back then. After the cult/student union massacre, he left and started all over again. He graduated in the  top tier of his class at MIT. He's up in silicon valley at the moment. I don't want to give too much details cos i believe people know him well. Are you saying that OAU is better than MIT because the guy couldnt make a 2;2 there and ended up blasting in MIT?
Making students fail or intentionally making exams hard just shows how terrible federal universities have become. You need to get that rubbish out of your head. the one that says if you have few 1/1s and 2/1s in your school, then it is a good school. ARRANT NONSENSE.  All of you that went to federal unis only know how to READ AND PASS. You have not gained any knowledge whatsover and here you are bashing someone who probably GOT GOOD VALUE FOR WHAT HE PAID FOR.

LOOSERSSSSS
good point. Am a fed. Uni. Grad. Myself but i totally agree with u. And what is it with the OAU craze? C'mon people, OAU is no longer the best school in the country. Uniilorin is. Heck OAU is neither the second nor the third. Go check the latest ranking. Geez.
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by dustydee: 9:30am On Jul 27, 2011
for the not so smart ones who think it is impossible see a simple calculation:
course unit GPA
4 20
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
3 15
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
2 10
1 5
1 5
1 5
1 4
6 30
Total course unit =129 cummulative grade point=644  CGPA=4.992248062
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by lincoln123: 9:31am On Jul 27, 2011
Well ,am happy for d guy. But if he failed to be a chartered Accounter in 2 yrs to come, I will be dissapointed in Him, cu'z it can only happened in private Uni,
Re: Covenant University: Accounting Student Graduates With 4.99 GPA by mithel(m): 9:32am On Jul 27, 2011
Lmao@all the student of private unis crying marginalisation.and abusing Fed universities.and all of them at one point or d oda was rejected by dis fed. Unis.if u know say u no lyk fed. Unis,why attempt to get admission there.

Majority of peeps i know in CU n oda private unis bought their admission forms after being denied admission to fed. Unis.it was only ONE that went out of freewill(i wonder what enter dat gal's head sef),after coming 1st on unilag's merit list for computer engineering,she decided to go to CU to study mathematics.

(infact lemme call her sef,oh i 4got,NO PHONES IN CU.)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Oluebube Okoye, UNIZIK's Best Graduating Student In Pharmacy Is A Medical Doctor / Foreign Students: UK Varsities May Fall Into Deficit, Says Report / Biography Of Jibrin Isah Diso, The First Blind Professor In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.