Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,384 members, 7,781,094 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:47 AM

Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation (5871 Views)

Vandalism: FG May Acquire Tarkwa Bay, Kachikwu Warns Community / Ibe Kachiukwu Assumes Office As Minister Of State For Petroleum Resources (Photo / Fg May Acquire Shares In 9 Rescued Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 1:42am On Jul 27, 2011
By Niki Moore - Jul 26, 2011 7:43 AM PT

Nigeria’s Lagos state, home to the country’s biggest city, may buy land elsewhere in the nation to grow rice to meet the city’s needs.
The state is already introducing irrigation and encouraging mechanization to boost rice production, Rotimi Fashola, a consultant at the Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and Co- operatives, told the Rice Africa Outlook conference in Durban, South Africa, today.
“We cannot rely on imports,” he said. “We are looking to acquire land in neighboring states as Lagos is land poor.”
Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, is the biggest consumer and importer of rice on the continent. The country is forecast to import about 1.9 million metric tons of the grain this year, or about 41 percent of its 4.65 million ton forecast consumption, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which also forecast production at 2.7 million tons.
“Lagos is a microcosm of greater Nigeria,” Fashola said. “Its 18 million inhabitants consume the most par-boiled rice in the world, with an average of 34 kilograms per person per annum.”
Fashola estimates of production and imports are higher than those of the USDA. Legal imports into Nigeria are about 1.6 million tons a year and another 450,000 tons are smuggled from neighboring Benin, he said. Production is 3.4 million tons, he said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-26/nigeria-s-lagos-state-may-acquire-land-to-grow-rice-consultant-says.html
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 1:43am On Jul 27, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this. This type of thing should be private-sector driven. However, for some reason the private sector isn't supplying enough rice. So maybe the government needs to take a direct hand?

Perhaps this is not a bad move by Lagos. I'm not sure.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Seun(m): 1:46am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I have mixed feelings about this. This type of thing should be private-sector driven. However, for some reason the private sector isn't supplying enough rice. So maybe the government needs to take a direct hand?

Perhaps this is not a bad move by Lagos. I'm not sure.
The private sector is providing enough rice. Where they get it from (importation) is no one's business.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 1:50am On Jul 27, 2011
Seun:

The private sector is providing enough rice. Where they get it from (importation) is no one's business.

Hehe. Your brand of free market capitalism is too extreme for me. Are you happy with the status quo, in which a country like Nigeria with huge agricultural potential relies on imports to feed itself? Why not invest some effort into harnessing the potential of the land?

I'm not advocating that we reduce imports of cars, tvs and other tech-heavy products. I'm talking about simple rice.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Seun(m): 1:53am On Jul 27, 2011
I'm not advocating that we reduce imports of cars, tvs and other tech-heavy products. I'm talking about simple rice.
How many Nigerian rice farms do you own?  How much money have you invested in Nigerian rice farms?
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 1:56am On Jul 27, 2011
Somehow I think this is another "WAYO" news to make the Lagos Agbero's come in to tell us why we must all bow to Lagos or something. . . . lol

Why is a state, that is yet to provide adequately for the basic needs of the people looking into buying land now? So the state can hire more hands and reduce funds available for actual development, for the next 2-5 years??  undecided undecided undecided 

How much have we realized from the generator business? Where is that money currently going? How much??

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 2:00am On Jul 27, 2011
Seun:

How many Nigerian rice farms do you own?  How much money have you invested in Nigerian rice farms?

zero, zilch. But I'm not sure how that is relevant
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Seun(m): 2:01am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:
zero, zilch. But I'm not sure how that is relevant
If local rice cultivation is important, shouldn't you support it with your money?  Words are cheap.
Before you start knocking the private sector for not investing in rice, you should invest your money.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:06am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Somehow I think this is another "WAYO" news to make the Lagos Agbero's come in to tell us why we must all bow to Lagos or something. . . . lol

Why is a state, that is yet to provide adequately for the basic needs of the people looking into buying land now? So the state can hire more hands and reduce funds available for actual development, for the next 2-5 years??  undecided undecided undecided 

How much have we realized from the generator business? Where is that money currently going? How much??

WTF??!!!
Can you please list the basic need of the "people" that Lagos has not provided? Mind you, not every "basic need" is the job of Lagos to provide. Also, its being paid for 10 milllion people when 18 million people live there.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Nobody: 2:08am On Jul 27, 2011
Seun:

If local rice cultivation is important, shouldn't you support it with your money?  Words are cheap.
Before you start knocking the private sector for not investing in rice, you should invest your money.

Seun, I heard that you're worth a few billion. With the engineering project you're working on (or that I assume you're working on), a few of those nairas could go a long way with this project.
Ekt bear is still a brokeazz student living on a $7.25/hr paycheck. He cant do much for now.

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 2:09am On Jul 27, 2011
You can support an idea (eradication of polio, freedom of religion, Nigeria harnessing its agricultural potential, etc) w/o putting your money up. One doesn't require the other.

Anyway, it would be foolhardy for my to invest personally in the sector, since the only way I know of to do it is to buy my own land and start my own farm. And I don't have the cash/time/interest at this point to do this at the scale of the big, profitable farmers.

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:10am On Jul 27, 2011
Dapo, people are scared of investing in Nigeria especially for a commodity such as rice where Nigeria has NEVER showed the potential of making it big in that industry. You really should not expect the private sector to invest in things that involve high risk such as this.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 2:10am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

WTF??!!!
Can you please list the basic need of the "people" that Lagos has not provided? Mind you, not every "basic need" is the job of Lagos to provide. Also, its being paid for 10 milllion people when 18 million people live there.

If you do not know what is still needed, then you are probably best staying away from discussions on these issues.

jason123:

Dapo, people are scared of investing in Nigeria especially for a commodity such as rice where Nigeria has NEVER showed the potential of making it big in that industry. You really should not expect the private sector to invest in things that involve high risk such as this.

Please, visit facts before you post. Nigeria used to show great potential in this area. At one point, we produced, I believe, about 40% or even more, of rice we consumed.

Government going out to acquire land is opposite of what we need. If anything, what we need is government creating for us a better environment for to encourage us, our graduates especially, to go back to the land.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:14am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you do not know what is still needed, then you are probably best staying away from discussions on these issues.
Abegi jor, how can a state (Lagos) that is being paid for 10 million people and is taking care of almost DOUBLE the population be perfect?? How It one thing to criticise and its another to find a way out of a problem. Its better we move on from this criticising mentality and start looking for solutions. YET, it is only Lagos that will take up the initiative to do things, we still criticise. . . . Lagos state has tried and we should encourage her.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 2:16am On Jul 27, 2011
^^^ so in your mind, the only way the basics can be adequately provided for, is if the situation is first PERFECT?? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Again. . ,
Kobojunkie:

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:19am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please, visit facts before you post. Nigeria used to show great potential in this area. At one point, we produced, I believe, about 40% or even more, of rice we consumed.

Government going out to acquire land is opposite of what we need. If anything, what we need is government creating for us a better environment for to encourage us, our graduates especially, to go back to the land.  
@ first paragraph
Can you provide evidence for this??
@ second
How many of our graduates are willing to go into farming?? Most go to school to be a doctor, Lawyer, accountant etc. No one or VERY VERY FEW will actually go to uni to study agricultural science.

Moreover, this is state affair not a federal affair. The S-west is not known for Rice.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:21am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ so in your mind, the only way the basics can be adequately provided for, is if the situation is first PERFECT?? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Again. . ,

YES! If you want a PERFECT result, the situation MUST be perfect before we can result to criticism.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Kobojunkie: 2:25am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

@ first paragraph
Can you provide evidence for this??
@ second
How many of our graduates are willing to go into farming?? Most go to school to be a doctor, Lawyer, accountant etc. No one or VERY VERY FEW will actually go to uni to study agricultural science.

Moreover, this is state affair not a federal affair. The S-west is not known for Rice.

Some of the statements above is why I keep suggesting you stop pulling your facts out of thing air.

As for your first paragraph, if you missed the events of the past 2 weeks in that state, then again, I suggest you learn to zip it when it comes to matters you are not aware of.

How many of our graduates are willing to go into farming? In your mind, you are convinced that the 10s of thousands of agricultural science/zoology/animal husbandry etc. graduates we have in that country, many of them from within Lagos there, do not want to venture into farming at all? shocked shocked shocked  You mean even though we have more people graduating from other sciences and arts areas than Law/accounting/medicine, we should not show concern for those at all because you have conveniently convinced yourself that only those who go in for law degrees, accounting degrees and even medicine, should be counted?

Look, I think, again, you should try visiting facts, rather than continuing to pull your messages out of thin air! Honestly, I am not here for more of this, so accept this is my last post to you on this as I am here for the rational discussions.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by nduchucks: 2:25am On Jul 27, 2011
Government entities are one of the least capable of running businesses, let alone starting one from scratch. Lets take a quick look at some of the businesses run by the Nigerian government, PHCN(NEPA) -worse than a failed business enterprise, NNPC - worse than a failed enterprise, Government refineries - in shambles,  Nigeria Port Authority - profitable, but 70% of profit gone with the wind every year, on and on and on. State governments will not fair better than the feds in this matter.

The role of the government is to provide business environments which are  conducive to good business activities. These people need to focus on assisting real entreprenuers with cheap loans, land or whatever they need to establish those farms. Seun is on point though, in that, as a businessman, if I could maximize my profits by importing rice because unfriendly business environments in Nigeria will not allow substantial profitability quickly enough, why would I invest in rice farms in Nigeria?

I hope this is not another one of Tinubu's ideas wherin the rice farms, once established with state funds will be auctioned or concessioned off to ACN cronies as usual.

1 Like

Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:37am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Some of the statements above is why I keep suggesting you stop pulling your facts out of thing air.

As for your first paragraph, if you missed the events of the past 2 weeks in that state, then again, I suggest you learn to zip it when it comes to matters you are not aware of.
What are you chatting undecided embarassed
So, you are going to use two-weeks of Natural disaster to judge Lagos Wow. Incase no one on this forum rebuked you, I will. How can a state that cannot afford such as project, start the project so that people like you will start accusing her when she goes bankrupt

Kobojunkie:

How many of our graduates are willing to go into farming? In your mind, you are convinced that the 10s of thousands of agricultural science/zoology/animal husbandry etc. graduates we have in that country, many of them from within Lagos there, do not want to venture into farming at all? shocked shocked shocked  You mean even though we have more people graduating from other sciences and arts areas than Law/accounting/medicine, we should not show concern for those at all because you have conveniently convinced yourself that only those who go in for law degrees, accounting degrees and even medicine, should be counted?

Look, I think, again, you should try visiting facts, rather than continuing to pull your messages out of thin air! Honestly, I am not here for more of this, so accept this is my last post to you on this as I am here for the rational discussions.
Wtf?!
Okay, who will provide the money for the them to be commercial farmers? Is it not the State?? And if its the state, what difference does it make if the state invest in herself??

Kobojunkie, why are your arguments always "concocted"? In fact, I am also done with you!
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 2:38am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

I'm not blaming the private sector; not really interested in making it a blame game.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:39am On Jul 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not blaming the private sector; not really interested in making it a blame game.
cool
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EzeUche(m): 2:41am On Jul 27, 2011
I do not like this idea. Lagos should focus on improving infrastructure instead of buying land for rice cultivation. The private sector should be the one who invest rice cultivation.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 2:43am On Jul 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Seun, I heard that you're worth a few billion. With the engineering project you're working on (or that I assume you're working on), a few of those nairas could go a long way with this project.
Ekt bear is still a brokeazz student living on a $7.25/hr paycheck. He cant do much for now.

Lol. I make close to double or 3X per year. . . but yeah, relatively poor right now.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by jason123: 2:43am On Jul 27, 2011
EzeUche:

I do not like this idea. Lagos should focus on improving infrastructure instead of buying land for rice cultivation. The private sector should be the one who invest rice cultivation.

What are your reasons for suggesting this
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 2:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So food/food security is no longer basic needs? And what about the folks needed to work on the farms from farm hands, machine and milling operators all the way to retail outlets having legitimate jobs, collecting paychecks and paying taxes back to the state? Are these not basic needs.

I know it's your calling in life to swim in negativity and sadness, but some of you don't even try to make sense no more.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EzeUche(m): 2:51am On Jul 27, 2011
jason123:

What are your reasons for suggesting this

The public sector is always ineffective when it comes to running a parastatal. Rice cultivation should be left for the private sector which is more efficient.

Government parastatals are a waste of money which can be used to improve infrastructure and education.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by EkoIle1: 2:59am On Jul 27, 2011
EzeUche:

And it's OK to sit on your hands while your people starve or while you spend your huge resources on rice importation from countries.

Same other countries are improving their rice industry and production with your mumu and incompetent money. Your can not force the private sector to invest in where they don't want to.

I know many of you think infrastructure means just building road and bridges, but food production and mechanization is also infrastructure, Lagos state has the only functioning Agric institute in Nigeria, they also have graduate farmers trainee program, they give the same trainee farmers money and land after graduation.

Government remains the main catalyst for any human, communal and economic growth and the fact that we are incompetent doesn't mean every government effort is a bad thing.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aribisala0(m): 3:05am On Jul 27, 2011
Seun:

The private sector is providing enough rice.  Where they get it from (importation) is no one's business.
would be no one's business if
1. they source their forex outwith the government
2. there are no consequences for local employment etc. there are many people employed in rice production (at our expense ) non-nigerians and millions  of jobless nigerians.
it would be naive to treat food as any other trade item .it has immense strategic and security significance for any nation to be self sufficient in food.

we should not follow economic theories or ideals blindly .

i agree government in nigeria don't have a good track record in business but this is not necessarily true for ALL governments e.g singapore and china to some degree .
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by ektbear: 3:09am On Jul 27, 2011
The problem is that if we leave it to the free market/private industry alone, Nigeria will probably never be self-sufficient in rice.

Imagine:
ekt_bear:

The country is forecast to import about 1.9 million metric tons of the grain this year, or about 41 percent of its 4.65 million ton forecast consumption, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which also forecast production at 2.7 million tons.

Do you think the private sector will ever realistically grow that 1.9 million tons just to satisfy today's demand? Keep in mind that the rice consumed by Nigeria will increase over time due to natural population growth and increased prosperity.

Would it really be so bad if Lagos State provided a bit of assistance (low-interest loans, perhaps?) to private investors to set up farms say in Ogun or Oyo, with the rice then intended for the Lagos market? It needs to be done carefully to avoid corruption, but at least in theory it should be possible.
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by aljharem(m): 3:10am On Jul 27, 2011
EzeUche:

The public sector is always ineffective when it comes to running a parastatal. Rice cultivation should be left for the private sector which is more efficient.

Government parastatals are a waste of money which can be used to improve infrastructure and education.

gbammm well supported
Re: Lagos May Acquire Land Outside State For Rice Cultivation by Fhemmmy: 3:10am On Jul 27, 2011
If they can do it right, that will be great.
OBJ did same . . Operation feed the Nation and how it is Obasanjo Farms . . . but i will assume that Fashola has more integrity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ACN, ANPP, CPC To Form New Party In 2013 / Nairaland POLL: 2015 Presidential Election. / Nnamdi Kanu Strong Message To Stubborn Igbos Developing Lagos And Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.