Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,858 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:59 AM

Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? (888 Views)

My Car Alloy Rims Before And After Pimping / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC / Avoid This Deathtrap, Buy Quality Rims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by inikamoze(m): 12:42am On Jul 09, 2022
Hello Car experts and gurus,I greet you all.

I need your candid advice on an issue I have been deliberating upon for some time now. I recently bought a Toyota Camry 2005, V4 which I personally plan to use for E-hailing aka Uber and Bolt. The tires that came with it are the normal iron wheels 205/65 R15 which I feel is too low, so I have decided to change the wheels to Alloy rims and change the tires to either 16R or 17R so as to get better ground clearance.

Now my question is, would changing the tires/rims to something higher like 16" or 17" affect the stability or balance of the vehicle when in motion? I don't want to tamper or raise the shocks as is the practice that is why I opted to get higher tires & rims.

Are there hazardous disadvantages or risks of using higher than specified tires/rims?

Your candid and expert advise would be very welcomed.Thank you
Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by sunnymighty(m): 1:54am On Jul 09, 2022
inikamoze:

I need your candid advice on an issue I have been deliberating upon for some time now. I recently bought a Toyota Camry 2005, V4 which I personally plan to use for E-hailing aka Uber and Bolt. The tires that came with it are the normal iron wheels 205/65 R15 which I feel is too low, so I have decided to change the wheels to Alloy rims and change the tires to either 16R or 17R so as to get better ground clearance.

Now my question is, would changing the tires/rims to something higher like 16" or 17" affect the stability or balance of the vehicle when in motion? I don't want to tamper or raise the shocks as is the practice that is why I opted to get higher tires & rims.

Are there hazardous disadvantages or risks of using higher than specified tires/rims?

Following
Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by 606thearena: 2:38am On Jul 09, 2022
Rim 16 is cool . There is no much difference between 16 and 17 . I’m using 16 by the way and it’s very dope . Camry 010
Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by Timagex(m): 8:19am On Jul 09, 2022
In my opinion, raising of suspension tampers with the looks and the balance of vehicles. I might be wrong. I think getting higher tires and rims is the way.

Let's wait for the bosses sha... cool

1 Like

Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by melviniyke2002(m): 11:19am On Jul 09, 2022
I used same camry 2005 4plug,mine came with steel n 205/65/15 tires, i immediately got alloy 16 rim n tyres size of 215/60/16......u wud be fine.... i might even go a bit higher soon 215/65/16

Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by skywalker240(m): 11:57am On Jul 09, 2022
Hmm

Gurus in the house
Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by Kelvin30286063(m): 1:48pm On Jul 09, 2022
Moving to 17 rim may not affect stability that much but you will have issues with easy turning cos your tires will touch your fender every time you turn. Plus you'll deal with suspension issues more quicker than you should. Aka ball joints, upper arms and co.
16 rim is the best advise and getting bigger tires but make sure you maintain the recommended 32 psi for private cars. I've seen a lot of bolt drivers inflate their tires to as much as 50 psi just to make it bigger. Don't make that mistake.

1 Like

Re: Do I switch to a 16" Or 17" Rims And Tires??? by kernniejay(m): 8:04pm On Jul 09, 2022
inikamoze:

Why would you go all the way from 15R to 17R? The vehicle manufacturers did not just recommend a rim size for different vehicles, they have reasons. Have you considered the wheel well of your car? If you install a bigger tyre like 17, your front tyres may likely be touching the fender or mud gaurd when you are turning.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Matrix ‘06 / Distress Sale For Lexus RX330 2005 / Car Maintenance Tip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.