Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,696 members, 7,805,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids (322 Views)

Governor Ortom And His Shameful Normalization Of Domestic Violence / What Are Your Thoughts On Kids Using Make-up? / Today's Experience Changed My View On Domestic Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids by rickpat(m): 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2022
one of the greatest effects of constant exposure of violence to kids in their environment (family, school etc) is the possibility of the child developing an I.E.D...

this might be lengthy but trust me...it's worth your time....SO YOU WILL KNOW THE LEVEL OF DAMAGE THAT VIOLENCE IN YOUR HOME COULD HAVE ON YOUR KIDS... please read

what's IED?.... INTERMITTENT EXPLOSIVE DISORDER

Intermittent explosive disorder involves repeated, sudden episodes of impulsive, aggressive, violent behavior or angry verbal outbursts in which you react grossly out of proportion to the situation. Road rage, domestic abuse, throwing or breaking objects, or other temper tantrums may be signs of intermittent explosive disorder.
These intermittent, explosive outbursts cause you significant distress, negatively impact your relationships, work and school, and they can have legal and financial consequences.
Intermittent explosive disorder is a chronic disorder that can continue for years, although the severity of outbursts may decrease with age. Treatment involves medications and psychotherapy to help you control your aggressive impulses.

Symptoms

Explosive eruptions occur suddenly, with little or no warning, and usually last less than 30 minutes. These episodes may occur frequently or be separated by weeks or months of nonaggression. Less severe verbal outbursts may occur in between episodes of physical aggression. You may be irritable, impulsive, aggressive or chronically angry most of the time.
Aggressive episodes may be preceded or accompanied by:
Rage
Irritability
Increased energy
Racing thoughts
Tingling
Tremors
Palpitations
Chest tightness
The explosive verbal and behavioral outbursts are out of proportion to the situation, with no thought to consequences, and can include:
Temper tantrums
Tirades
Heated arguments
Shouting
Slapping, shoving or pushing
Physical fights
Property damage
Threatening or assaulting people or animals
You may feel a sense of relief and tiredness after the episode. Later, you may feel remorse, regret or embarrassment.

IT HAS NOT CURE..CAN ONLY BE MANAGED BY SEEING A THERAPIST

STOP ALL FORM OF VIOLENCE TODAY...BE IT PHYSICAL OR VERBAL ABUSE...IT RUINS KIDS AND THE SOCIETY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 11, 2022
I dread verbal abuse.... One of the reasons I hate nags. I endured verbal abuse at my former work place for years and I know what it took from me. Up till now I'm yet to heal, I was told I took it for too long.

Although I experienced some of all you listed but mine wasn't expressed, I was angry all the time and at everything but I will never say a word. I act , I completely black out and stare like lifeless statue in face of confrontations. Little argument between two sisters sounded like war was happening to me, like they were throwing bricks at each other that i fled from them. If you complain about a bad day, it was like you are nagging. I became extra sensitive, passively aggressive and robotic. At some point,I couldn't even process emotions accurately.
Up till now I can't stand a tensed situation, I avoid it as much as I can. I thank God I left even though it was almost too late.

Honestly if Verbal abuse can have such an effect on an adult, heaven help little kids who are experiencing it. It's not a good thing at all.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids by Nobody: 1:26am On Jul 11, 2022
1. Nigerian parents needs to do better in ensuring their kids don't remain environments that cause any sort of abuse. Most times parents are even the abusive ones. Both physical and verbal abuse, some parents even verbally abuse their own kids due to their looks, large weight or not being intelligent fast enough as other kids forgetting that the dullest comes from their own gene.

2. One of the good reasons to find out the kind of family your intending spouse comes from & their previous trauma, so you won't enter someone's life and forever become their therapist instead of wife or husband.

3. Avoid road rage at all cost in Lagos, some people are angry from their house. Just avoid them.

4. Going to a public school in Nigeria leads to Intermittent explosive disorder on its own. If you have money, avoid public schools for your kids.
Re: Effect Of Domestic Violence On Kids by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 11, 2022
Persephone1:
[i]I dread verbal abuse.... One of the reasons I hate nags. I endured verbal abuse at my former work place for years and I know what it took from me. Up till now I'm yet to heal, I was told I took it for too long.

You should have left early to be fair, your brain stores so much memory without your approval and It will replay it for you occasionally, so If you keep listening to verbal abuse, It will increase your blood pressure with time. Sometimes you might even feel like getting rid of your abuser.

A good reason why people should have buffer funds, so that you can choose to resign from any verbally abusive job knowing you have money to survive on. In other words, you can say "fvck you" to an employer or a business proposition and it won't affect your living standards noticeably. Also have alternative source of income, so you don't fall into this same situation in the future.

(1) (Reply)

Toshiba Laptop For Sale @ 65k....Sold! / Dear Nigerian A Brother Is Passing Through A Pain / Minimalist Of Nairaland How Far?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.