Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,442 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

Muslim Muslim Candidate: A Case Of Precedent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim Muslim Candidate: A Case Of Precedent (205 Views)

APC Labels Labour Party Candidate A Bad Loser / Video Of Kastina Residents Burning Brooms Dangerous Precedent For Nigerian Unity / How Nigerian Government's Bad Precedent Emboldened Sunday Igboho, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Muslim Candidate: A Case Of Precedent by Lyoncrescent: 7:48am On Jul 11, 2022
precedent
noun
/ˈprɛsɪd(ə)nt/
an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.

It is traditional for the Presidential candidate and vice Presidential candidate to be divided as Christian and Muslim. The usual example is the MKO abiola 1993 mandate.

However a more recent example happened in 2011. ACN Presidential Aspirant Nuhu Ribadu picked Fola Tajudeen Adeola as his Vice Presidential Candidate. Both of them are Muslims and they were third position in that election with over 2 million votes.

I don't recall there being any uproar then about a Muslim Muslim candidacy. Thus I want to suggest that if it happened then , what is the problem now ? Is it due to the unrest and the increased activities or boki haram thus making such selection an insensitive one ? If so then I can agree along this line that it is insensitive.

However, no matter how insensitive it is, we have seen it happen before and I think it is left to the voters to make a decision among the 3 tight choices :

1. A Muslim Muslim Candidate of APC who did this to nullify the number 2 candidate below especially in the North.
2. A Northern candidate to continue after 8 years a Northern President.The PDP candidate had over 11 million votes in the last election thus making him a strong candidate.
3. A candidate of the Labour Party who has emerged as a dynamic third force. However he most Likely won't have a majority or even minority in the House of Reps and Senate and may struggle to get 25% of votes in any of the Northern states.

All in All, it is up to the voters to decide. However the precedent has been set by not just MKO in 1993 but also by Ribadu in 2011 . I just wish our voters were more enlightened to make the right decision but that is another story for another day.
Re: Muslim Muslim Candidate: A Case Of Precedent by Lyoncrescent: 9:47am On Jul 11, 2022
Mynd44

(1) (Reply)

Well... The Hundred Of Very Deep Potholes On Lekki Expressway. / VIDEO: What Soludo Told Un, Eu & Intl Development Partners In Anambra / Dear Reno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.