Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah (27140 Views)

African Football Legend Mohamed Farah Dies From COVID-19 / Kaka: "Jose Mourinho Ruined My Real Madrid Career" / Jose Mourinho, Mo Farah, David James Star In #game4grenfell Charity Match To.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by fergie001: 11:54am On Jul 12, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzXNe-QX8k4

Sir Mo Farah reveals he was trafficked to the UK as a child, my real name is Hussein Abdi Kahin.

Sir Mo Farah was brought to the UK illegally as a child and forced to work as a domestic servant, he has revealed.

The Olympic star has told the BBC he was given the name Mohamed Farah by those who flew him over from Djibouti. His real name is Hussein Abdi Kahin.

He was flown over from the east African country aged nine by a woman he had never met, and then made to look after another family's children, he says.

"For years I just kept blocking it out," the Team GB athlete says.

"But you can only block it out for so long."

The long-distance runner has previously said he came to the UK from Somalia with his parents as a refugee.

But in a documentary by the BBC and Red Bull Studios, seen by BBC News and airing on Wednesday, he says his parents have never been to the UK - his mother and two brothers live on their family farm in the breakaway state of Somaliland.

His father, Abdi, was killed by stray gunfire when Sir Mo was four years old, in civil violence in Somalia. Somaliland declared independence in 1991 but is not internationally recognised.

Sir Mo says he was about eight or nine years old when he was taken from home to stay with family in Djibouti. He was then flown over to the UK by a woman he had never met and wasn't related to.

She told him he was being taken to Europe to live with relatives there - something he says he was "excited" about. "I'd never been on a plane before," he says.

The woman told him to say his name was Mohamed. He says she had fake travel documents with her that showed his photo next to the name "Mohamed Farah".

When they arrived in the UK, the woman took him to her flat in Hounslow, West London, and took a piece of paper off him that had his relatives' contact details on.

"Right in front of me, she ripped it up and put it in the bin. At that moment, I knew I was in trouble," he says.

Sir Mo says he had to do housework and childcare "if I wanted food in my mouth". He says the woman told him: "If you ever want to see your family again, don't say anything."

"Often I would just lock myself in the bathroom and cry," he says.

For the first few years the family didn't allow him to go to school, but when he was about 12 he enrolled in Year 7 at Feltham Community College.

Staff were told Sir Mo was a refugee from Somalia.

His old form tutor Sarah Rennie tells the BBC he came to school "unkempt and uncared for", that he spoke very little English and was an "emotionally and culturally alienated" child.

She says the people who said they were his parents didn't attend any parents' evenings.

Sir Mo's PE teacher, Alan Watkinson, noticed a transformation in the young boy when he hit the athletics track.

"The only language he seemed to understand was the language of PE and sport," he says.

Sir Mo says sport was a lifeline for him as "the only thing I could do to get away from this [living situation] was to get out and run".

He eventually confided in Mr Watkinson about his true identity, his background, and the family he was being forced to work for.

'The real Mo'
The PE teacher contacted social services and helped Sir Mo to be fostered by another Somali family.

"I still missed my real family, but from that moment everything got better," Sir Mo says.

"I felt like a lot of stuff was lifted off my shoulders, and I felt like me. That's when Mo came out - the real Mo."

Sir Mo began making a name for himself as an athlete and aged 14 he was invited to compete for English schools at a race in Latvia - but he didn't have any travel documents.

Mr Watkinson helped him apply for British citizenship under the name Mohamed Farah, which was granted in July 2000.

In the documentary, barrister Allan Briddock tells Sir Mo his nationality was technically "obtained by fraud or misrepresentations".

Legally, the government can remove a person's British nationality if their citizenship was obtained through fraud.

However, Mr Briddock explains the risk of this in Sir Mo's case is low.

"Basically, the definition of trafficking is transportation for exploitative purposes," he tells Sir Mo.

"In your case, you were obliged as a very small child yourself to look after small children and to be a domestic servant. And then you told the relevant authorities, 'that is not my name'. All of those combine to lessen the risk that the Home Office will take away your nationality."

Running 'saved me'
Sir Mo says he wants to tell his story to challenge public perceptions of trafficking and slavery.

"I had no idea there was so many people who are going through exactly the same thing that I did. It just shows how lucky I was," he says.

"What really saved me, what made me different, was that I could run."

The woman who brought Sir Mo to London has been approached by the BBC for comment, but has not responded.

Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi, who was forced to flee Iraq with his family when he was 11, said hearing Sir Mo's story was "heartbreaking and painful".

He told BBC Breakfast: "I salute Mo Farah. What an amazing human being, to have gone through that trauma in childhood, to come through it and be such a great role model. It's truly inspirational."

SOURCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxK-TKqPiE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfq6O9rUdyM

14 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by fergie001: 11:59am On Jul 12, 2022
Sir Mohamed Muktar Jama Farah, as he was known, is Britain's greatest athlete winning over 27 Gold medals across the Olympics, World Championships, European Championships, the Diamond League and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-gOCOu_KGU
10000m Gold (London 2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C93qwVmBseE
5000m Gold (London 2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKsEV7vGAvA
10000m Good (Rio 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWa-NvBO5lA
5000m Gold (Rio 2016)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by fergie001: 12:00pm On Jul 12, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpYLZxf3cH4

The four-time Olympic Champion was knighted by the Queen on Nov 14, 2017.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by PlayerMeji: 12:05pm On Jul 12, 2022
Success in life makes a story easy to tell.

Imagine if he was a failure, who would care if his name was Abbu Jaba

143 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by fergie001: 12:06pm On Jul 12, 2022
There has been calls for his knighthood to be revoked and Farah deported but no way, the British Home Office insists.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by LoveNbeloved(f): 12:07pm On Jul 12, 2022
Greetings
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Pidginwhisper: 12:15pm On Jul 12, 2022
lipsrsealed
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Passionate888: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2022
Just heard it on Nigeria info PH

1 Like

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:16pm On Jul 12, 2022
Sir Mo says sport was a lifeline for him as "the only thing I could do to get away from this [living situation] was to get out and run"
.....and he ran to be a World Champion.

Talking about when life gives you lemons �............

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by superCleanworks(m): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
interesting

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Rechargeam247(f): 12:17pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ok, it's a long read.

2 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Imstrong2(m): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2022
Behind every story there's a glory

11 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by GoodnessMILAYO(f): 12:18pm On Jul 12, 2022
Better be grateful to that woman who trafficked you. If not, you for dey Africa dey languish in penury

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Samuelnze(m): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2022
The best will always be the best,no matter what anyone does to hinder his success.
He was deprived of basic rights of a child,but success found him as an adult.. More successes bro in you career and life.

4 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by wman(m): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2022
Yeah. He was an illegal immigrant. He can only afford to talk now because he is successful.

Unlike several others who will be deported ASAP.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Bar1941(m): 12:19pm On Jul 12, 2022
Stick to that name my friend, you achieved a lot with it and by the way, my head is saturated so no space for change of name therein.

3 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by babzo(m): 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2022
Wow. Africans enslaving Africans! And this happens a lot in Nigeria. People enslaving children as house helps. Making them work like slaves, sometimes even distant relatives from the village.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Shayfunds: 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2022
Hmmmm
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by BluntCrazeMan: 12:20pm On Jul 12, 2022
Ok..
Let us do something different for Peter-Obi.
***This message is not for the STINGY Obidients ooo..
If you really Love Peter-Obi,,
Then, let’s gather together and show our country Nigeria, and the people of Nigeria some love on Peter-Obi’s Birthday.
Just buy Airtime and do Give-away.
Any amount of airtime you can buy, just get them ready and do give-away on Tuesday the 19th of July 2022 in order to mark Peter-Obi’s Birthday.

Just do it for the sake of happiness, and for the sake of Love.

(I was thinking that we may buy some wrapped and packaged food-items and/or drinks and share them to some random strangers on our streets - YES.. We can still do that one too if it is highly necessary, depending on our locations. But then, a lot of us online would prefer we show them love through Airtime. We are free to do the give-away on Nairaland too. Love doesn't segregate)
PLEASE REMEMBER.!!
Don't tell the people whom to vote for. Their choice of candidates should always be respected.

Just tell them that you're showing them love for the sake of Peter-Obi because the day is Peter-Obi’s Birthday, and it is exactly how Peter-Obi is going to show all Nigerians more love in the future.

We are not trying to bribe anybody.

We are not trying to lobby anybody.

We are not trying to buy anybody's votes.

We are just showing some love.

And also, the people that we showed some love can still vote for their preferred candidates, and nobody is stopping them.
And please, when you're doing the give-away, don't even wait to hear them say “Thank You”. If they thank you, appreciate them.

If they didn't appreciate the give-away, please don't let it bother your peace and your love.

Don't even wait for them to start analysing and asking questions.
Just do your give-away, and mouve peacefully.

2 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Wealthoptulent(m): 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2022
As a RUNNER, you keep RUNNING RACE OF LIFE in addition to ur ATHLETES RACES!

RAN from Somali to DIJOUBTI, now RAN to UK.... u now RUN for ENGLAND.. no bother RUN come HOME ooo.

1 Like

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by dejavuh0007(m): 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2022
His story must have inspired David Nwamini.

2 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by seanwilliam(m): 12:21pm On Jul 12, 2022
Wetin make we do
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by erniok(m): 12:23pm On Jul 12, 2022
PlayerMeji:
Success in life makes a story easy to tell.

Imagine if he was a failure, who would care if his name was Abbu Jaba
Well said. If he's nobody, the son of nobody, the world won't be interested. This shows that indeed success have many fathers and failure is an orphan.

4 Likes

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by gbaskiboy: 12:24pm On Jul 12, 2022
Nature has a way of dealing with us differently. I believe if you were still in Somalia your talent would have died naturally or you may just make little impart within your locale. Somalia was devastated with warfare, if still as at the time you left all you will be thinking is how to protect your life and that of your family. So far you never missed the contacts of your family, just move on with life.....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by NLPoliceWoman: 12:27pm On Jul 12, 2022
BluntCrazeMan:
Ok..
Let us do something different for Peter-Obi.
***This message is not for the STINGY Obidients ooo..
If you really Love Peter-Obi,,
Then, let’s gather together and show our country Nigeria, and the people of Nigeria some love on Peter-Obi’s Birthday.
Just buy Airtime and do Give-away.
Any amount of airtime you can buy, just get them ready and do give-away on Tuesday the 19th of July 2022 in order to mark Peter-Obi’s Birthday.

Just do it for the sake of happiness, and for the sake of Love.

(I was thinking that we may buy some wrapped and packaged food-items and/or drinks and share them to some random strangers on our streets - YES.. We can still do that one too if it is highly necessary, depending on our locations. But then, a lot of us online would prefer we show them love through Airtime. We are free to do the give-away on Nairaland too. Love doesn't segregate)
PLEASE REMEMBER.!!
Don't tell the people whom to vote for. Their choice of candidates should always be respected.

Just tell them that you're showing them love for the sake of Peter-Obi because the day is Peter-Obi’s Birthday, and it is exactly how Peter-Obi is going to show all Nigerians more love in the future.

We are not trying to bribe anybody.

We are not trying to lobby anybody.

We are not trying to buy anybody's votes.

We are just showing some love.

And also, the people that we showed some love can still vote for their preferred candidates, and nobody is stopping them.
And please, when you're doing the give-away, don't even wait to hear them say “Thank You”. If they thank you, appreciate them.

If they didn't appreciate the give-away, please don't let it bother your peace and your love.

Don't even wait for them to start analysing and asking questions.
Just do your give-away, and mouve peacefully.
Lalasticlala.
Rule 1
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 12, 2022
Inspiring man! M!
Re: My Public Lifestory Has Not Been True, My Real Name Is Not Mo Farah by jaxxy(m): 12:30pm On Jul 12, 2022
Touching

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aaron Samuel Flaunts His New G-wagon / Mikel, Okocha Or Kanu: Who Was The Most Successful Nigerian Player / World Cup:super Falcons’ Chances Of Qualifying Reduce As Brazil Take Second Slot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.