Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,065 members, 7,807,194 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? (43346 Views)

10 Things To Know Before Moving Abroad For Study - Nairalander Reveals. Photos / My Family Is Discouraging Me From Moving To UK / Dropping Refuse From Moving Vehicles Attracts N5000 Fine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by somehow: 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2022
okeysoninv:
this is not true. who will call you a failure when everyone is struggling to survive. Our countrymen living abroad are very evil you have to believe , I am speaking base on experience.

So because you came and nobody called you names automatically means it's the same for everyone?

Do you understand the world doesn't evolve around you alone?
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by AnthonyAk(m): 3:05pm On Jul 15, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

I took a look at her profile and according to it she started out as an intern then worked her way up

Yea she's up there now , but she did an MBA and her time at xerox was probably a contributing factor as well

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by AnthonyAk(m): 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

Im not saying its impossible. It is not the general rule. Did she tell you the process she went through?
I also know of a bank manager in naija who when he relocated to UK couldn't find a job as a banker.

She did an MBA in US, that was the key thing. She's always been a go getter from time sha.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Kewellbanks: 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2022
[quote author=ednut1 post=114672367]https://www.nairaland.com/6829885/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled
https://www.nairaland.com/6957495/canadian-student-visa-thread-part
Those are the two major ways to get into Canada go and read them. When I applied for Canada permanent residency in 2019 scores to apply were low, now the scores are high. If my friend asks me to show him way, how can i help him. Even me if i applied today my points will be low due to age and wont qualify.Some of those guys you chatted probably dont have papers and are lying low to survive and do menial jobs. They obviously wont be interested in letting u come join them adding to their bills and risking them being arrested. So these people are not discouraging you things are not how it used to be. In 2012 you could easily get usa visit visa enter there find babe marry.] On stundent visa; do you need any diploma or degree?
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by ednut1(m): 3:07pm On Jul 15, 2022
damosky12:

grin abobi. No be so o. Someone without foreign education or UK work experience or connection land banking job there? Fear God na...
go on LinkedIn and see for your self. Even me work in foreign bank with those things you stated collecting better money
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by SIRTee15: 3:07pm On Jul 15, 2022
GogetterMD:

Given her? They don't "give" jobs. It's tough for an immigrant (even a legal one) to get skilled jobs in the first two years of relocating

Guy leave story. It's either the story is a lie or the bank manager is an illegal.
With her banking experience she can easily get a teller retail job in any financial institution. We live her and know how it works.
Enough with all this story of someone coming here to wash plates. It's becoming stale n boring.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by okeysoninv: 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2022
somehow:

So because you came and nobody called you names automatically means it's the same for everyone?

Do you understand the world doesn't evolve around you alone?
oga speak facts. are you calling them a failure ..did you paid their visa, tickets and PTA.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2022
Iife is not easy overseas when there is no paper. LIFe is automatically a hard labour sentence. Imagine working in a factory for 13-17 hours 6 day a week and to get paid very little. Will you encourage yur bro and sis to come? No.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by ednut1(m): 3:08pm On Jul 15, 2022
Enumerator:
For your mind

I'm sure you are below 20 with this your comment which tells you know nothing about abroad
click my profile. I am in Canada lol. Go on LinkedIn and see Nigerians in top banks and companies. Its not easy but as long as you keep applying one will click

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by ednut1(m): 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2022
Navalsadiq:
stop misleading people.you don't need 5m to 10m.some schools in the UK and other European countries accept installemental payment. you can afford to go with three thousand pounds and in your first and second week get a good paying job while you school and make installemental payment.
school fees and living expenses is above that. I never said you are paying once
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by okeysoninv: 3:09pm On Jul 15, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Road sweepers probably earn minimum wage abroad. You think $2k to $3k per month is big money living abroad?
oga , 2-3k is big money because you can't pick it on ground. people earning it are living well, saving and building investment.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Empiree: 3:10pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:
These past weeks, I've been reaching out to my friends who are abroad to help me with links or advices to move abroad too. But I discovered that none of them decided to help, instead they discouraged me either by saying, "it's difficult to move now or the country isn't issuing visa now".

One of my guy in CANADA defiantly ignored my text when I asked him for links or the route he used to move, the other in Korea said the country isn't issuing visa now but he recently moved back and another directly said that it's very hard to get visas now to travel. But one Asian American in the States gave me lots of links to move to the State and even encouraged me to move.

But then I don't understand why our African brothers over there will never encourage or advice someone willing to move. Is it envy or greediness or what? I've never had any of my guy abroad encourage me to move when I asked for advice. If things are difficult over there, why not come home?

NB: I never asked them for fund cos the money is available.
why do you need anyone to give you link when you can easily get what you want on the internet?. And one of the many reasons they are reluctant is they don't want anyone to burden them which is true. You have no idea what people go through outside Nigeria. You don't know how they live. So please stop unnecessary nagging. You can get what you want on social media.

I have received visitors from nija in the past and some of them are bad experiences. Some of them came here and started preaching Jesus to me and my neighbors. I honestly don't blame anyone who refuses to welcome visitors and other thing is how visitors get you in trouble if care is not taken. As for jobs, I have no problem showing folks how to get job but I can never welcome visitors from Nigeria again.

So if you want to travel, have your own resources and get yourself well informed and stop nagging. No one is responsible for you or discourage you. Western world is another setting entirely especially if you never had experience with bill payments. So you wanna become burden on someone?. So I don't get why you need someone to give you link when you can easily get them on social media.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by zolajpower: 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:
These past weeks, I've been reaching out to my friends who are abroad to help me with links or advices to move abroad too. But I discovered that none of them decided to help, instead they discouraged me either by saying, "it's difficult to move now or the country isn't issuing visa now".

One of my guy in CANADA defiantly ignored my text when I asked him for links or the route he used to move, the other in Korea said the country isn't issuing visa now but he recently moved back and another directly said that it's very hard to get visas now to travel. But one Asian American in the States gave me lots of links to move to the State and even encouraged me to move.

But then I don't understand why our African brothers over there will never encourage or advice someone willing to move. Is it envy or greediness or what? I've never had any of my guy abroad encourage me to move when I asked for advice. If things are difficult over there, why not come home?

Even u too can do the same thing too the day you will move there grin na Blac man mentality. No( average black man ) one wants you to succeed
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by humberjade: 3:11pm On Jul 15, 2022
fredoooooo:

Nigeria is better if yiu have the money and you're in the system.
If youve lived abroad( Germany, swiss ,Scandinavians,Russia, Uk , Us , canada , Australia, etc) for years and not italy or france( advance Africa) and those useless european countries o . You will find it very difficult to integrate back into the African system because of the mindsets...

You are right, but the insecurity back home is something else, you can return home wealthy, and then get kidnapped, pay ransom, back to square one. Businesses are falling apart. In Nigeria now, except you are providing services, as a business person, nah God hands you dey.

I don't discourage people from relocating back to Nigeria after so many years o, but this isn't the time, these are very precarious times in the history of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by tshtsh: 3:12pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:

The internet is your best link not humans. To be fair to them no human being has the power to take you to their host country as you'll still need to subject yourself to an immigration process. Nevertheless I'll tell you a short story.

A friend reached out to me that he had been admitted into a university in toronto and needed a place to stay. His tuition was in the region of $50,000 and he was planning to apply for a student visa with the hope of being able to work and pay the fees. I did not want to discourage him but I knew his plan was not a good one but felt if I told him what I thought he'll think otherwise. I sent him links for one bed apartments in toronto (all starting from $1,800 monthly). He asked if he couldnt get anything cheaper but I told him he could rent a room in someone's apartment for cheaper. His budget was $500 monthly which I couldn't find. He later asked if he could stay in the outskirts and I suggested that he checks the cost of transportation from the outskirts to the city. Rents in the entire greater toronto area are high.
In addition I susggested that he should try and pay his tuition so he can work for his rent/upkeep as no 20 hour a week job will be sufficient to finance a $50k fee. He cut contact with me and told his senior brother I was trying to discourage him from coming.

My reality was that I moved to toronto on a PR not study permit. I had a job offer and someone accommodated me for two weeks. During the two weeks I slept on a couch which was not comfortable but then I was determined not to spend out of the USD10,000 I travelled here with. I opened a bank account and got a credit card with a $4,000 limit. In the third week I paid $1,454 for an AirBnB . I also received my first bi-weekly salary in the third week and have been earning a good income every two Fridays. I later rented my place outside the city jointly with a friend for the time being till I was able to get a credit score which is required to rent an apartment independently.

I reached out to an old friend who had moved to canada 10 years ago with less than a thousand dollars and he told me his canadian girlfriend took a line of credit on his behalf and gave him to pay his fees while he repaid her back when he graduated and started working. But he mentioned that toronto is a much more expensve city than where he studied at.

So again I'll suggest you try to get as much information as possible from the web . The realities may be discouraging but I still feel canada offers a more conducive environment for a young person than nigeria

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Jaqenhghar: 3:13pm On Jul 15, 2022
AnthonyAk:

She did an MBA in US, that was the key thing. She's always been a go getter from time sha.
True. Once you are go getter with a solid plan you'll get there. It may not be easy at first but you will get there.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Fearyourcreator: 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2022
jesmond3945:
because they dont want you to come and share jobs with them or become a burden to them. Thats the problem with Nigerian community in abroad. Look at the uk skilled thread, they dont even give people links when they land a job.
And many are saying government na our major problem
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by MT: 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:

It's because they have seen the reality. Do you realize if Nigeria is judged by the beautiful houses on display in Nollywood, the whole world will want to be citizens.Sadly, that's just movie.

Most people have Hollywood experience of abroad (western nation) in this regard, the reality is far different.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by kiddkash(m): 3:15pm On Jul 15, 2022
okeysoninv:
ask them to come back, they will abruptly refuse
they have been in the suffering long, they have become accustomed to it,
they don't want someone that will come there and spoil show.
e.g when things were bad for me abroad, a friend wouldn't let me be kept saying anything at all
he will do when he comes abroad. I tried everything to stop him that Nigeria is better, but he won't take no
for an answer. when he sold huge piece of land to fund his trip. and then arriving, he started disturbing
my peace about how things are hard. which I told him clearly.
that we try to eat only once a day. the hunger was severe, that it made him to steal from my employer.
and the both of us were fired, because I was the one that brought him. he refused to listen to me and kept acting wild.
like offing his shirt in the public like a tout, and keep drawing attention to ourselves. like screaming so loud
and doing warri no dey carry last. I had to discharge because this friend would get me deported.

when he was deported, he came and told people in Nigeria that i am wicked, I only gave him food once a day
and I act small instead of fighting people who wanna mess with me and I left him to get deported.

He tainted my reputation and integrity back home

12 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by okeysoninv: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2022
kunkelhanspeter:

The amount is nothing there bro after paying your bills you will be living pay check to pay check
Living to survive not to be financially free.
I have a good friend in Germany Bro e no easy for them I wanted to travel but I don’t see myself staying there 5-10 years before coming back because you will need paper to come back.
Many will advise born first before traveling because you might never have the opportunity to do that in Nigeria in 5-10 years imagine if you are 31 like me and travel just for get about kids .
throw away that trash, live is easy abroad, alot are making it within few months , landing. the bills are not up to 30%. a couple left few years ago to UK with a loan obtained , within six months they have recovered all their expenses they spent and even paid all the loans collected. within a year they brought one relative to UK. surround yourself with positive people , stop following badbelle Nigerians

8 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by zionstaar75: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2022
Raregem9000:
Find his own way? Remember, we rise by lifting others up. I experienced same thing the poster was saying three years ago. I have a cousin who lives abroad. He has been there for a decade now and i only asked him to just help with an invite while i pay for every money that will be spent and i will work things out when i get there. Note: I'm paying for everything. This my cousin kept on giving me stories like it's not easy there that i shouldn't come. He even said i should use the money i had with me to start a business in Nigeria instead of coming there. I was like why are you still there if it's not easy? I just bone him and block him on every social platforms. A year after, i went to an agent to help on a Canadian Visa but i was duped. I'm looking forward to doing all by myself when i'm ready to go on the adventure again without involving any agent and when the soup is done, i would unblock that my cousin, so that he can see that what he failed to help me with has been achieved.
someone that may be dodging immigration to send u invite?how many Nigerians abroad can send u invitation?less than 15%!

3 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by appliedscience(m): 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2022
krissconnect:

And I said no, I don't live in lagos
Smiles
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by MT: 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2022
Jaqenhghar:

True. Once you are go getter with a solid plan you'll get there. It may not be easy at first but you will get there.

Not everyone gets there. Most people slave through, and still categorized as poor in that clime.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by megababajo: 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2022
The poster may have the wrong friends. I live in the diaspora and always encourage my friends to relocate if they ask me my thoughts. It’s always better to have options that to be stuck with a country without plans.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by okeysoninv: 3:17pm On Jul 15, 2022
kiddkash:

they have been in the suffering long, they have become accustomed to it,
they don't want someone that will come there and spoil show.
e.g when things were bad for me abroad, a friend wouldn't let me be kept saying anything at all
he will do when he comes abroad. I tried everything to stop him that Nigeria is better, but he won't take no
for an answer. when he sold huge piece of land to fund his trip. and then arriving, he started disturbing
my peace about how things are hard. which I told him clearly.
that we try to eat only once a day. the hunger was severe, that it made him to steal from my employer.
and the both of us were fired, because I was the one that brought him. he refused to listen to me and kept acting wild.
like offing his shirt in the public like a tout, and keep drawing attention to ourselves. like screaming so loud
and doing warri no dey carry last. I had to discharge because this friend would get me deported.

when he was deported, he came and told people in Nigeria that i am wicked, I only gave him food once a day
and I act small instead of fighting people who wanna mess with me and I left him to get deported.

He tainted my reputation and integrity back home
throw away that trash, live is easy abroad, alot are making it within few months , landing. the bills are not up to 30%. a couple left few years ago to UK with a loan obtained , within six months they have recovered all their expenses they spent and even paid all the loans collected. within a year they brought one relative to UK. surround yourself with positive people , stop following badbelle Nigerians
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by okeysoninv: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
fredoooooo:

Nigeria is better if yiu have the money and you're in the system.
If youve lived abroad( Germany, swiss ,Scandinavians,Russia, Uk , Us , canada , Australia, etc) for years and not italy or france( advance Africa) and those useless european countries o . You will find it very difficult to integrate back into the African system because of the mindsets...
oga there is nothing in Nigeria which amount of money will you have to live comfortable like people in Western countries..is there security, road , pipe borne water , electricity without generator, decent society. abeg stop fooling urself.
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Hassanmaye(m): 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
Originalsly:
@ OP.... if you live in Lagos.... what advice would you give someone who is doing pretty good in the village but wants to sell out and move to Lagos? .... someone who has never been to Lagos before?
I will tell him no o, Lagos is tough is not banana island like everyone think

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Nnamaka1: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
Because they are not sure if you have what it takes to survive out there.

Out there is a jungle, you must be ready to hit the ground and running.

Some people get abroad and wait on their host to babysit them and do everything for them.

It's a struggle out there bro. If you truly believe you can make it work, then don't wait on anybody's approval. Go for it

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Kamxy: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
As "Nigerian Builders"" wey we be.....we have left Building for Tinubu and co....Japa straight....

faceland:
They are secured over there and don't want problem. If you go, you become a dependent and LINKED to them.

They also know it's not as easy as you think. If condition makes you to commit crime, they would LINK you to them.

Go on your own and when you get there, you too would tell others to stay behind and build Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Resurgent2016: 3:20pm On Jul 15, 2022
Raregem9000:
Find his own way? Remember, we rise by lifting others up. I experienced same thing the poster was saying three years ago. I have a cousin who lives abroad. He has been there for a decade now and i only asked him to just help with an invite while i pay for every money that will be spent and i will work things out when i get there. Note: I'm paying for everything. This my cousin kept on giving me stories like it's not easy there that i shouldn't come. He even said i should use the money i had with me to start a business in Nigeria instead of coming there. I was like why are you still there if it's not easy? I just bone him and block him on every social platforms. A year after, i went to an agent to help on a Canadian Visa but i was duped. I'm looking forward to doing all by myself when i'm ready to go on the adventure again without involving any agent and when the soup is done, i would unblock that my cousin, so that he can see that what he failed to help me with has been achieved.

are you looking to relocate on a visiting visa? undecided

no the best for you as you may struggle to get a decent job and you make your uncle an accomplice in your illegality....he has good reason to turn you down

If you have so much cash, do a masters abroad
Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by AndroidAI(m): 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2022
xandy84:
Prerequisite of being a Nigerian is an attitude of entitlement. I hand a street bro 100k 5 years ago for traveling runz, He called 2 months later to let me know the runz did not click but the agent has a sure one for 1 million naira. This is someone I did not even know his last name.... I reconnect with an secondary school friend that I had not seen for 20 years, after talking for a week, he told me he just lost his job. I grab a phone, call him to sympathize with him and only for him to ask me some send him a car that he will find money for clearing....wow...

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Send him the car, you'll also end up clearing it.

Then later, you'll send more when repairs emerge.

If you later bail, they will talk about how you wickedly sent them a car without adequate money to maintain it.

My brother, since I stopped caring about what people think or say about me, I've been living in peace.

I can't help an average Nigerian and I don't care if they see me as wicked or whatever.

Experience, they say, is the best teacher, and I've learned.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do African Brothers Abroad Discourage Others From Moving Abroad Too? by Peaceful123(m): 3:21pm On Jul 15, 2022
Originalsly:
@ OP.... if you live in Lagos.... what advice would you give someone who is doing pretty good in the village but wants to sell out and move to Lagos? .... someone who has never been to Lagos before?

It seems you don’t have concrete plan of what you will be doing in Lagos, Hence, stay in your village, as your standard of living will be better off

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Lagos Has The Worst Case Of Traffic Congestion In The World? (Photos) / Tree Falls At Kintampo Waterfall In Ghana, Kills 20 Students Swimming, Injure 30 / Nigeria's Airport Revolution In Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.