Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:18 PM

What Advice Do I Give Her? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Advice Do I Give Her? (2024 Views)

How Much Should I Give Her For Monthly Upkeep / Should I Give In ??? / What Advice Were You Given As You Wedded And How Have They Helped Your Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jul 28, 2011
I came to visit my Mother In Law, she called her neighbor to talk with me probably cos am a lawyer even though I don't practice. Her neighbor married a man when they were both struggling, she is a teacher and he was jobless, the whole church regularly prayed for him to get a job and members of the church regularly gave them clothes foodstuff, and sometimes cash. God opened doors for the man and he got a job. He bought a car and things seemed to look up. After 2 years, he stopped going to church and married another woman, abandoned his wife and kids. The woman moved on, bought a house and started building a house, she and her kids will fetch water while her neighbors and some church people voluntered as laborers, 2 months ago the husband came home, stayed for 2 weeks and disappeared, however she just discovered that her house that is almost finished has been sold by the man. I am rusty in family law, I am thinking she should divorce formally and sue for the full amount of the house, my mother in law agrees with me. I want to sample more oppinions even though I have been in touch with my pratcising collegues, it never hurts to have various oppinions. Thanks
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by mutter(f): 3:23pm On Jul 28, 2011
The woman bought a house and started building a house?
Who owned the land on which the house was built and what about the documents? For a lawyer this is not a controversial case.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2011
Mutter it was a local arrangement, she bought the land in both their names
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 28, 2011
If it were in her name it will be an open and shut case. Problem is she wants the house back but doesn't wanna divorce her husband and the only way the case will have a shot seeing that they have been legally seperated for 2 years is if she files for divorce, am asking for advice to know if she can still be married and sue
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ifyalways(f): 3:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
If the land was bought with Mr. and Mrs names and siggy,how was it sold with just the man's name and siggy  undecided

Anything can happen these days.I hope the man grows some conscience and return atleast part of the money.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by 2mch(m): 5:19pm On Jul 28, 2011
Well the man violated the contract. He cannot sell the land without her signature. She should be able to repossess the land. And the person it was sold to can pursue the husband for compensation. Except she was building on the mans land, and he just put her there as his wife. If she is co-owner, the land cannot be sold wiithout her signature. If it was, the man can be arrested for fraud. She should just go to court with her documents.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 28, 2011
A friend is taking the case pro bono. Cases like thi make me wish I was practising. Anyway, case will be filled tmr. Thanks all
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by dayokanu(m): 7:15pm On Jul 28, 2011
Involve local gods, I can give you a hookup from Ijebu
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
What makes a man do this to his wife and kids? Can't get over it
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Outstrip(f): 10:50pm On Jul 28, 2011
Why would someone be so heartless. I just get tired of hearing of men behaving like this. In a country were you know that her options are very limited and you still do such a thing. It just blows my mind
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 12:57am On Jul 29, 2011
she made a terrible mistake of buying with both their names.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 29, 2011
wicked man
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2011
This is wickedness, (God forgive if am judging) but some men are just like that, wicked, thinking evil, that is why i do not support all this nonsense!!!!
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by nikkygal(f): 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2011
jennykadry:

she made a terrible mistake of buying with both their names.

ronkebp:

This is wickedness, (God forgive if am judging) but some men are just like that, wicked, thinking evil, that is why i do not support all this nonsense!!!!

Jenny & Ronke. . . . in Nigeria today, how many men will watch and allow their wives to buy a property solely in her name even if she was 100% solely financing it? My point is that it's really a catch 22 situation buying properties as a married woman. . . . . . . .

If you buy in both names, just continue praying that your marriage is blissful all the way or else he could frustrate any future plans you have for that property and if you decide to be selfish and buy in your name only undecided, Well, it's the quickest path to divorce for the average African man  cry . lipsrsealed . .
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Outstrip(f): 3:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
nikkygal:

Jenny & Ronke. . . . in Nigeria today, how many men will watch and allow their wives to buy a property solely in her name even if she was 100% solely financing it? My point is that it's really a catch 22 situation buying properties as a married woman. . . . . . . .

If you buy in both names, just continue praying that your marriage is blissful all the way or else he could frustrate any future plans you have for that property and if you decide to be selfish and buy in your name only undecided, Well, it's the quickest path to divorce for the average African man cry . lipsrsealed . .

Allow ke? Any woman in todays Nigeria that does not acquire things in her name is crazy. A good Nigerian man in that dysfunctional country would even insist on it. When you know that the husbands family members will probably be hovering around like vultures if the man dies. That is probably the only wy to ensure that your wife anc children are not destitute if you die. especially when the wife might not be educated or well connected.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2011
Outstrip:

Allow ke? Any woman in todays Nigeria that does not acquire things in her name is crazy. A good Nigerian man in that dysfunctional country would even insist on it. When you know that the husbands family members will probably be hovering around like vultures if the man dies. That is probably the only wy to ensure that your wife anc children are not destitute if you die. especially when the wife might not be educated or well connected.

When i no be 'Ruth', why won't i buy properties in my name or my children name, as a man is acquiring properties, so the woman too, at least if na just land, she buy, it is better than none, african men are not predicatble, i don't know of our generation shaa,
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 29, 2011
This is a sad situation. Even my mother in law who is over 70 years and was married for 60 years is advocating for divorce and blaming the woman for buying the land in both their names when the man had abandoned her. My mother in law told her that when your man starts straying you have to start planing for you and your kids. Very sad
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2011
^^exactly. if she bought it when they were together ,fine. But this man abandoned her and her kids and she went ahead to buy a land in both their names?she made a huge mistake. Alot of women in Nigeria are building houses by themselves without their husbands help, so it is not a new thing
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by dayokanu(m): 5:38pm On Jul 30, 2011
Nothing stops the woman from buying properties in her own name or even in her childrens name

ronkebp:

When i no be 'Ruth', why won't i buy properties in my name or my children name, as a man is acquiring properties, so the woman too, at least if na just land, she buy, it is better than none, african men are not predicatble, i don't know of our generation shaa,

For someone who advocates a woman taking the mans property in event of a divorce, now the shoes are on the other foot right?

@Topic, Hope you women now know how it feels when you take the mans property after a divorce. The only sad part is that this probably happened to the un-greedy woman
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Outstrip(f): 6:09pm On Jul 30, 2011
dayokanu:

Nothing stops the woman from buying properties in her own name or even in her childrens name

For someone who advocates a woman taking the mans property in event of a divorce, now the shoes are on the other foot right?

@Topic, Hope you women now know how it feels when you take the mans property after a divorce. The only sad part is that this probably happened to the un-greedy woman

apples and oranges. The property never should belong to the man but both. In Nigeria a woman is forced to do it in her name because the men tend to be evil and lack conscience. In america if you like go and put it in your name and you are married. it will still belong to you both. As if a man has ever turned down a divorce settlement he got from a woman that made more than him. You need to leave this thing alone Dayo. For real
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 30, 2011
@ dayo
Is that post of yours for real or what? You are beginning to sound like a broken record

@outstrip

I was on the net one day reading MelB's story and I never knew she settled phoenix' (her daughter) dad over 1mil pounds when they separated. Madonna has done same, so what the heck is the big geal if a woman gets settled after a divorce?
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Outstrip(f): 7:08pm On Jul 30, 2011
jennykadry:

@ dayo
Is that post of yours for real or what? You are beginning to sound like a broken record

@outstrip

I was on the net one day reading MelB's story and I never knew she settled phoenix' (her daughter) dad over 1mil pounds when they separated. Madonna has done same, so what the heck is the big geal if a woman gets settled after a divorce?

Wow I did not know about Mel B. Madonna's husband got something like 45million. Chris Judd got 4 mill from JLo. Kristie Alleys ex got like 7 mill and he never worked a day in the marriage LOL.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 30, 2011
^^ see you, madonna settled her ex ritchie(abi watever he's called) 75million not 45mil.

When I read melB's I was like shocked to the bones.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2011
The whole thing tire me i swear
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 2:13am On Jul 31, 2011
dayokanu:

Yes oooo i advocate that a woman should take the mans' properties (if she could) at divorce, but in this case, the woman is a 'mumu', 'woman wey like husband wey husband no like am', after all the man did to her, she bought a land at all and bought it in both their names, now the husband don sell land to take care of his iyawo, wetin dey woman go do now?
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by dayokanu(m): 8:11am On Jul 31, 2011
^^ Since you advocate the woman should take the husbands property now in this case, the man did it and took the womans property.

So It should be fair to you
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Goldieluks: 11:37am On Jul 31, 2011
the man should stop behaving wickedly and return the property to the woman,if possible.
I can't stand people who take delight in the suffering of others,he left the woman and his children,
he came back and sold the property,she and her children had laboured for.
The woman should sue the man for theft,because the man went ahead and sold the property, which belongs to both of them.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 6:41pm On Jul 31, 2011
dayokanu:

^^ Since you advocate the woman should take the husbands property now in this case, the man did it and took the womans property.

So It should be fair to you

Dayo, it should be fair to both (the man and the woman), i do not support a spouse( be it male and female) taking the other for guaranted, in the case above the man took the woman for a big fool, that is why he kept rubbing shit, in her face,
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jul 31, 2011
There is a huge difference between taking your spouse's property after a divorce settlement and taking your spouse's property cunningly. This man stole from this lady. The woman did not give this land to him as a divorce settlement, he took what was hers illegally.
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 10:21pm On Jul 31, 2011
jennykadry:

There is a huge difference between taking your spouse's property after a divorce settlement and taking your spouse's property cunningly. This man stole from this lady. The woman did not give this land to him as a divorce settlement, he took what was hers illegally.

Infact the man finished the woman emotionally, he bastardized every emotion she ever had, that man is her enemy', thank God for her children,
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 31, 2011
Jenny and Ronke the thing tire me. Worse is the womans attitude, thank God she met ma mother in law who is not one of does stay and die women, d woman is still dragging feet on taking action. Ma mom in law has to scream at her today reminding her to put her kids first. Dayo, if this was a divorce settlement would ve been different what kind of man takes away d roof over ur childrems head? D house ur wife and kids labored to build? Ha, even if you hated wife wat about ur kids
Re: What Advice Do I Give Her? by ronkebp(f): 1:04am On Aug 01, 2011
debrief08:

Jenny and Ronke the thing tire me. Worse is the womans attitude, thank God she met ma mother in law who is not one of does stay and die women, d woman is still dragging feet on taking action. Ma mom in law has to scream at her today reminding her to put her kids first. Dayo, if this was a divorce settlement would ve been different what kind of man takes away d roof over your childrems head? D house your wife and kids labored to build? Ha, even if you hated wife wat about your kids

Some men are that wicked oooo, my mum used to say that " a man that loves a woman would love the kids the woman bores unconditionally' but if he hates her nko? definitely he would hate her kids, that is a clear case of this couple, and it still beats me that the woman has not learnt her lesson, she is still doing virtuous woman,

(1) (2) (Reply)

On Their Wedding Day No Food And Cake / Why Do Parents Abroad Threaten Their Kids With Sending Them Back To Nigeria? / D'banj Presents CRV Car To His Sister As Wedding Gift (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.