Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service (37382 Views)

Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter / "Tribapay Dollar Card Is The Cheapest And Best At N705/$1" / Best Virtual Dollar Cards In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by DJInfluence: 5:58am On Jul 16, 2022
How long does an update last that they didn't give a specified return date? This one sound indefinite. Smells like bankruptcy to me.

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by frranklin: 6:35am On Jul 16, 2022
grandstar:
I am sure their financial partners dropped them following the money laundering case in Kenya.

I have about $4 left on my dollar card.

I learnt www.chippercash.com is a good alternative. Nevertheless, I am really gutted.

I use chipper cash
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by webhead: 6:41am On Jul 16, 2022
frranklin:

I use chipper cash
I downloaded it this morning and they said their dollar virtual cards has been suspended.

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Professor2b: 7:29am On Jul 16, 2022
SaveWorld Energy Limited, will give you best design and installations with competitive prize on solar/inverter. Call now 08169570145 or visit www.saveworlenergy.com.ng

2 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 16, 2022
I'm surprised that there's no discussion of a working alternative on this thread. What's the next step? What are the alternatives?

4 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by tenpipsperday: 7:42am On Jul 16, 2022
Tutormo:
Lemme go and withdraw my $95 remaining on the card

Just withdrew mine shaperly
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 7:43am On Jul 16, 2022
Moh247:
Flutterwave needs to create a new PR strategy, people are scared of them
You better be, it not a good company in my own opinion
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2022
Inali:
This is a ghenghen thing. Why is this happening to us?

Anyway, I have decided to take part in the next season of the NEXT TITAN season 9. Make I win 20m and start a business abroad abeg
Congratulations!!! Also watch Lions Den today kn Africa Magic by 8:00pm
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 7:46am On Jul 16, 2022
doraala:
Something tells me they are in a big mess
Yes, they are
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 7:48am On Jul 16, 2022
frranklin:

I use chipper cash
Another wonderful app
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 7:50am On Jul 16, 2022
shocked
webhead:
I downloaded it this morning and they said their dollar virtual cards has been suspended.
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Focusmind: 8:19am On Jul 16, 2022
Honestly, doing any foreign denominated transaction in Nigeria is becoming difficult. Even for students to pay for admission application fee is no more possible. If you do not have someone or a family friend that you could beg to help you pay and you reimburse the person later in Naira or however he/she wants it, you are on your own. All my foreign transactions have been paid by friends and families abroad, of which i reimburse them later. Our country is finished. We still do not know the importance of value system in a society. Once your value system and trust have been eroded, even your best friend will abandon you. I wont be surprise if in the coming years, SWIFT stops honoring LCs from Nigerian banks.

One of my clients is into importation and does lots of LCs. The foreign partners always insists that the confirming bank on any LC must be from US or EU, else they are not dealing. Even Nigerian banks with presence in UK are not acceptable by some foreign companies as a legitimate confirming bank for LCs purpose. It shows the depth our moral decadence had degenerated and the fraud-infested Nigeria's business environment

7 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by NoToTerrorists: 8:20am On Jul 16, 2022
Moh247:
Flutterwave needs to create a new PR strategy, people are scared of them
it’s not just Flutterwave. I’m subscribed to a Online payments company in Congo, theirs was suspended too. I suspect it could be as a result of the flutterwave allegation that made MasterCard suspend their services with all African payment processors.

5 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by grandstar(m): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2022
frranklin:

I use chipper cash

Chippercash too is now affected.

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 16, 2022
Nigerians are too fraudulent. They world is scared of dealing with us

3 Likes

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by faceland: 10:24am On Jul 16, 2022
richard870:
So,it's only foreign cards Nigerians can use to make foreign transactions..naija has truly gone to the dogs!

You can pay with naira card but to earn, you must open dollar account. They want us to spend but not to earn.

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Inali: 10:33am On Jul 16, 2022
Hamachi:
Congratulations!!! Also watch Lions Den today kn Africa Magic by 8:00pm
I've heard alot about the lion's den. Is it aired everyday?
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by dxdiag(m): 11:38am On Jul 16, 2022
This is serious, lot of business will suffer this consequences

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by richard870(m): 11:40am On Jul 16, 2022
faceland:

You can pay with naira card but to earn, you must open dollar account. They want us to spend but not to earn.
Really? What bank is that cuz mine doesn't allow foreign online purchases

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by adaperry25: 2:08pm On Jul 16, 2022
So what's the alternative

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Hamachi(f): 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2022
Inali:
I've heard alot about the lion's den. Is it aired everyday?
No
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by IamAdejumo: 2:47pm On Jul 16, 2022
Hey anybody that is seriously affect affected by this I can help u make payment for your international transaction with my Access dollar card. My exachange rate is the same N60

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Ceufinish: 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2022
adaperry25:
So what's the alternative

That's d right question

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by Bigkoko: 4:25pm On Jul 16, 2022
We can help you make payments internationally right from Kigali!

No need changing to dollars. Give us Naira, we make payments for you in USD

Send us a WhatsApp message for more details.
+250/7909/27282/
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by sinkhole: 8:51pm On Jul 16, 2022
IamAdejumo:
Hey anybody that is seriously affect affected by this I can help u make payment for your international transaction with my Access dollar card. My exachange rate is the same N60
did you say N60 or N600?
If N60, I am in straight away grin grin
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by frranklin: 10:13pm On Jul 17, 2022
grandstar:

Chippercash too is now affected.

They are not affected. They even gave me back cash back of 1470 Naira back for a purchase of $68

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by grandstar(m): 12:34am On Jul 18, 2022
frranklin:

They are not affected. They even gave me back cash back of 1470 Naira back for a purchase of $68

When did you make your purchase?

1 Like

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by SaiRuiMall: 9:17am On Jul 18, 2022
Please Always follow Us on social media channels for interesting contents.

Today's Activities in Vawulence City.

. Business Promotion/Property Sales
. Oplus Giveaway WCW.
. Blind Date Application continues.
. Fastest Finger
. Today's News
. Memes
. More Than A Flirt

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by SaiRuiMall: 9:18am On Jul 18, 2022
Woman Crush Wednesday (WCW).
Again, we want to know the LGA/State that has the most beautiful ladies on this platform.

Kindly drop the following information:
Natural/unedited/non filtered picture
Name
LGA/State
One unique thing about your LGA/State

Eg:
Picture
Precious
Izzi/Ebonyi
Izzi people are industrious

Winner goes home with 10k while 3 Runners up go home with 5k Each (Proudly Sponsored by the only Phil$ Xchange and supported by REFUEL DELICACIES)

Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by SaiRuiMall: 9:19am On Jul 18, 2022
Rules on the Monthly Online Contest:

1. Contestants must use their own picture
2. Drop your picture, Name and where you're representing. Eg (Izzi, Enugu, Ebsu, Ishieke)
3. For LGA/State contest, either or both of your parents must come from the LGA/State you're representing.
4. For School/Campus, You must be either a current student or a Graduate from the school/campus you're representing.
5. Any LGA/State/School or Campus that wins it back to back gets a special recognition.
6. Each contest has 3stages lasting for a maximum of 3days. (a day for each stage).
7. Prizes will be shared among Winner/1st Runner Up/General public through Giveaway and Vawulence City Media.
8. This contest should be more for fun and for a bragging rights.
9. Every lady should come out to represent her LGA/State/School or Campus.
10. Every other person not contesting should support their LGA/State/School or Campus.

Winner and Runners Up will get a huge cash prize with a Free business advert.
Re: Flutterwave Shuts Down Virtual Dollar Card Service by grandstar(m): 7:25pm On Jul 22, 2022
Focusmind:
Honestly, doing any foreign denominated transaction in Nigeria is becoming difficult. Even for students to pay for admission application fee is no more possible. If you do not have someone or a family friend that you could beg to help you pay and you reimburse the person later in Naira or however he/she wants it, you are on your own. All my foreign transactions have been paid by friends and families abroad, of which i reimburse them later. Our country is finished. We still do not know the importance of value system in a society. Once your value system and trust have been eroded, even your best friend will abandon you. I wont be surprise if in the coming years, SWIFT stops honoring LCs from Nigerian banks.

One of my clients is into importation and does lots of LCs. The foreign partners always insists that the confirming bank on any LC must be from US or EU, else they are not dealing. Even Nigerian banks with presence in UK are not acceptable by some foreign companies as a legitimate confirming bank for LCs purpose. It shows the depth our moral decadence had degenerated and the fraud-infested Nigeria's business environment

I had long planned to respond to your article.

The refusa by foreign banks or institutions to honor Letters of Credit originating or foreign payments from Nigeria isn't down to poor value system. It is actually due to mediocrity.

Ever since Buhari mounted the saddle in 2015, he has been meddling with the exchange rate of the Naira. It is that meddling that has led to this sorry state.

Lamido Sanusi, said that the difference between the official rate and parallel market rate must never be more that 3%. What is the difference now? I think its N430 while it is N630 at the parallel market. Is it 3% differential or 30%. It is even far higher. Sanusi said a differential above 3% will lead to sharp practices and distortions in the economy. Then you may ask, why is the differential so high, does the CBN not know any better?

That's where Buhari meddling comes in! One of the first thing he did upon assuming office was to fix the exchange rate of the Naira at around N197. That became the oficial rate for the next 2 years.

Should he have fixed the exchange rate of the Naira? No, he shouldn't have. For one, he is not an economist. He is basically an economic illiterate as stated by Atedo Peterside Secondly, That is the job of the CBN.

At the time he assumed office, the Naira was falling due to the collapsing oil price. From about $100 in June, 2014, the price was heading towards $35 by June or so. Since, a huge part of foreign exchange inflow was due to oil, dollar inflows were declining. Around June 2014, it was around N150. By February 2015, it was N200.

I want to ask: If there's 100billion chasing dollars each week , and dollar inflows was $1bn, that should give us a rate of $1-N100.

Now, if the dollar inflow declines to $500m, what would the rate be? Would it remain at N100?

Well by fixing the rate at N197, Buhari insisting and expecting the rate to remain the same and the foundation of the economic malaise present today was welled laid. Of course, since dollar inflow had reduced and the price remained the same, the CBN could no longer meet the demand buyers now turned to the thinly traded parallel market. The pressure from buyers at the black market led to the currency hitting N300 by January, 2016. By June, 2017, it was like 360 if I am correct.

Now what did the disparity lead to? First if you have noticed, dollar scarcity. It was this artificial scarcity that led to a dreadful recession from late 2015 -2017. Actually by August 2015, overseas banks were no longer honoring Nigerian Letter of Credits. It is the artificial scarcity that explains why our maximum monthly spend on Naira dominated cards is only $20 compared to the $1,000 daily before Buhari!

Then the issue of round-tripping started. Round tripping is simply buying dollars at the official rate for the sole purpose of selling at a rate reflective of the black market. So, if I was a well connected person, I would buy $5m for N2.15BN (N430) resell for N3BN (600)making a profit of N850m. And this is by nothing. I may even ask the buyer to put the money first into my bank account before I send in his dollars. Nigerian banks are into it. This was why government stopped the sale of dollars to the BDC as they simply resold it at the parallel rate.

This is a huge source of corruption in this government. It is also very wasteful as dollars spent is priced at the official value.

For instance, supposing the CBN releases $1bn allocation to all 3 branches of government this month, it would receive N430bn. If priced at the parallel market rate, that would be N620. That is a 190bn differential. In a year, that will be 2.28trillion.

Pls note that any official rate is strongly is primarily dictated by Buhari. By fixing the exchange rate, he is blaming economists and not market forces as the ultimate determinants of the exchange rate. This is laughable.

Now, you would ask, why doesn't the CBN reduce the differential between the 2 rates. It is simple: Buhari hates devaluation. That is and as always been his unwavering stance.

If the CBN should devalue the official rate to N520 restart the sale of $20,000 to the BDC weekly, the parallel rate will probably rise in value to N530 or even N525. It was the suspension of sales to the BDC's that led to the drastic fall of the Naira at the parallel rate. From 490, it has collapsed to 620.

The pressure on the oreign reserves now is very heavy as the country is spending billions of dollars on fuel subsidies.

If you support Buhari's policy, go sell to your dollars at the official rate.

https://www.nairaland.com/4861949/lamido-sanusi-laments-buharis-economic

https://www.nairaland.com/5069142/cbn-must-adopt-new-measures

https://www.nairaland.com/5069104/experts-buhari-remove-petrol-subsidy

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Error On New ₦100 Website Has Been Corrected (Photo) / Chief M.A. Obagun Is Dead. Founder Of Onward Paper Mill Dies At The Age Of 91 / Company Registration In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.