Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss (25004 Views)

'Greedy' Nigerian Professors And Their Fat Salaries / List Of First Nigerian Professors In Various Disciplines / TETFUND Boss Uncovers Fraud Involving Lecturers, Agency’s Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Onyxnaija: 11:04pm On Jul 18, 2022
Take your shame somewhere else. Do Nigerian professors shop or pay their bills in dollars? When did the legal tender in Nigeria become dollars? These sort of comments are part of the reason ASUU goes on strike for half of the year. How come the US govt doesn’t say to professors in their country that ‘we pay you 7 million Naira a month’. It’s ridiculous, have you compared the cost of housing in the two countries? Or Cost of other commodities? This one side comparison Nigerians make against the dollar is the reason things are way too expensive in Nigeria today. Land sellers peg prices to match property prices in New York, Atlanta or Sydney Australia without considering the stark economic difference between Nigeria and these other economies. Food bills are so high in Nigeria now, that it’s scary to imagine how majority of the population are able to cater for themselves and their families.
I’m conclusion, these sort of comments show that these people are out of touch and should not be given air time .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by vikiphy89(m): 11:05pm On Jul 18, 2022
Runningwater:

Dat ur primary school teacher way teach u na professor teach am? grin grin
Na still primary school teacher teach professor

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 18, 2022
Using the $ denomination is wrong. 500k monthly goes a long way in Nigeria
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Elock1: 11:14pm On Jul 18, 2022
Dybala11:

They've done a lot, their efforts are not getting the right consideration/remuneration. One of my professors (Professor Abbas) was listed as one of the top 2% or so scientist in the world before his demise months ago. Majority of these professors do fund research works with the meagre and delayed salary they get from the government. I still stand on my words bro, there are lots of brilliant minds in our educational sector, it's a pity that the country is forcing them out hence the recent increase in the brain drain we're experiencing in the country. One of my professors in the field of organic chemistry/synthesis tried to synthesize a possible drug molecule and had a big problem getting access to facilities needed to carry out certain tests/procedures on the molecule.
I also remembered the day I had the opportunity to know/see the contributions of another professor in my Alma mater during an academic lecture, I couldn't help but marvel bro. And all of them are lecturing at LAUTECH o, not even at the likes of UI/Unilag etc. Our educational sector is in ruin bro.

And should I burst your bubble bro, some of the pharmaceutical companies we have in Nigeria don't even synthesize paracetamol themselves, they just get the active ingredient from overseas in bulk and then mix it with the additives and start selling
you still don't get my point.. I said "COLLECTIVELY" for the Nation.
You are still mentioning individual achievements.

Bro, no doubt Nigerians generally are smart but why the fxck are we still governed by unqualified people and yet the same professors play a massive a role in enthroning them.. Thats my stance.

In a country where they are "intelligent" professors, they are supposed to spearhead a lot of departments in the Nation but greed and cluelessness has reduced them to "siddon look"

Dunno if you get it now?.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Dybala11(m): 11:20pm On Jul 18, 2022
Elock1:
you still don't get my point.. I said "COLLECTIVELY" for the Nation.
You are still mentioning individual achievements.

Bro, no doubt Nigerians generally are smart but why the fxck are we still governed by unqualified people and yet the same professors play a massive a role in enthroning them.. Thats my stance.

In a country where they are "intelligent" professors, they are supposed to spearhead a lot of departments in the Nation but greed and cluelessness has reduced them to "siddon look"

Dunno if you get it now?.
I partially agree with the submission. My reservation concerning your opinion comes from the fact that it's not the professors that will appoint themselves into such positions of leadership bro, it's either they are voted in or they get appointed by our leaders. Professor Pat Utomi contested for the presidency years ago, I doubt if he had up to 10,000 votes during that election. Can you call this kinda occurrence is fault too? grin

The professors too do have their shortcomings sha, maybe they're not doing enough innovative research like you suggested. But then even the few innovative research they've done hasn't been recognized, so what's the point again.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Charly68: 11:24pm On Jul 18, 2022
And our useless politicians are earning Milions monthly for mismanaging our resources ... Something is definitely wrong with our system.. it encourages brainless folks than the brainy ones .. Youths must arise and take back this country in the next election
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by JASONjnr(m): 11:34pm On Jul 18, 2022
REALretep:
Some of the people that taught that my primary school teacher worked hard enough over the years and later became professors. Also, most of the people that taught that my primary school teacher were trained by professors.
So, d ansa to ur question is yes.

You see, professors are at the peak of education.
To underpay professors is to undermine education

Fynestboi Richiez olawalebabs Lalasticlala Seun

Why not scrap primary education, so that everyone will just go to university directly...

You should understand that, before the professor will teach any child, the child MUST be able to know how to read wand write...

That is, a teacher took their time to mold a child from a stage of not understanding anything to know how to read and write ..

The lecturers only extend the learning to a higher standard...

Some secondary school students can teach primary school students...

The essence of going to university is to acquire more knowledge..

So, why neglect the foundation of learning and be putting more interest on the higher education?

If the government succeeds to destroy the first formal education standard... the university will breed idiots...

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by blasterman(m): 11:36pm On Jul 18, 2022
REALretep:
https://tribuneonlineng.com/why-fg-will-continue-to-establish-more-universities-%E2%80%95-tetfund/

Thats a function of the exchange rate

If exchange rate was 1 dollar to 1 Naira
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Konjiboii: 11:52pm On Jul 18, 2022
My nephew who is 16 makes more than $1k a day on TikTok..this is very depressing
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by RexTramadol1: 12:23am On Jul 19, 2022
Every worker in Nigeria needs raise in their pay.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by uvie66: 12:24am On Jul 19, 2022
Runningwater:
You're still ranting for professors angry

How much do primary school teachers receive as salary? The bedrock of formal education
the thing weak me they want professors to over #45000 a month and secondary school teacher on 50k pittance.... come to think of it with all the professors we go have in Nigeria how have they turned Nigeria from poverty capital of the world, light we no get, good roads no dey, insecurity, that na another matter. We have more professors than Egypt or South Africa yet they can give their citizens 24hr light.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by uvie66: 12:30am On Jul 19, 2022
greenmonk:

So the professors were born as professors and were not taught by anyone other than a professor.
Or are you implying that professors do the most difficult tasks on earth?
So because you are a professor you must receive the highest pay in the country.
Are professors the highest paid employees in America or Britain whom we like to use as our yardsticks?
... the thing weak me Bill Gate, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, even our own Dangote, none of them are Professors.
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by uvie66: 12:39am On Jul 19, 2022
RepoMan007:
1000 dollars is 15 times minimum wage. Can we say same of the advanced nations?
no, the salary of a Professor in the UK is £90k per annum and that of a bricklayer is £35k, the UK minimum wage is about £9.50 per hour while that of a prof is £44 per hour, so 5x the minimum.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by uvie66: 12:45am On Jul 19, 2022
greenmonk:

Who told you that salaries are universal.
What percentage of their salary do our professors as tax, house rental or electricity bill.
Even in USA professors in different institutions are paid differently.
For us to move forward we have to make sure people are paid for their output and not because they have certificates which most of them can not defend in practice.
Professor na for mouth?
I concur with you... that is why in UK I can earn 40k as a builder almost half what a professor earn, at the end of the day it is demand and supply.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by 9jaRealist: 1:04am On Jul 19, 2022
REALretep:
https://tribuneonlineng.com/why-fg-will-continue-to-establish-more-universities-%E2%80%95-tetfund/

Many Nigerian professors DO NOT DESERVE even the $1000 a month…
And please stop comparing yourselves with universities where students pay tens of thousands of dollars in fees.

>
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by 9jaRealist: 1:05am On Jul 19, 2022
greenmonk:
Who told you that salaries are universal.
What percentage of their salary do our professors as tax, house rental or electricity bill.
Even in USA professors in different institutions are paid differently.
For us to move forward we have to make sure people are paid for their output and not because they have certificates which most of them can not defend in practice.
Professor na for mouth?

BLESS YOU!
>
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by TONYE001(m): 2:44am On Jul 19, 2022
Runningwater:

Good now you're thinking right cool.. Their pay isn't close to the other bigger problems we have in Nigeria right now!!!

It is by adequately paying professors and other academicians, and facilitating their research works that our so-called bigger problems would be solved.

I've read your arguments here. They are flawed.

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by tegrianonigltd(m): 4:16am On Jul 19, 2022
Runningwater:

I'm seeing above $70k for professors from indeed job website then while for high school teachers I'm seeing above $60k. All yearly median salary.

So you're saying because US active professors are receiving well, all our prof should do the same?

How many academic achievements or research our own profs have done in general aside from few schools like UI and others?

Una no Dey regard Nigerian professors, same Nigeria professor Wey teach me for middlesex university, husband to one of Nigeria actress, Nigerians when it comes to dedication, we are wonderful. You Dey Bleep up, disregard for one of the world Brightest countries, Nigerians are Doing well abroad because of the pay, good life. Give them good life and pay, see the educational system flourish

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by zeyt: 4:17am On Jul 19, 2022
Are you not ashamed average Nigerians earn less than 1 dollar a day?

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:05am On Jul 19, 2022
Udoboss:

That's why they are asking for increase in salary...No be who chop belle full go do research??

BTW, do you know dat the research are from their pocket..they want government to sponsor it
grin cheesy that's why it is forever backward.

Use the fund for research & development, they say no!

Instead they looted, diverted it to buy brabus for numerous mistresses and side chicks
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Bluntemperor: 5:34am On Jul 19, 2022
Why is it now that you are retiring that you bring this problems to the Public? Have we not been shouting all these things in our educational institutions,the ASUU,etc- that govt-see as enemies? But why are Nigerians like this?
How much is your establishment paying on average basis so that we start from there?
what is the average take home pay of Oil Industries in Nigeria, compared to the Public Teachers like the Professors?
The problem with Nigerians is that,they refused to acknowledged their is a problem and when they retire or are force into retirement,they now tell it all! That is not good as white folks will not that,they would have exposed the wickedness in the institution for correction purposes!
Please,make Una park somewhere,let Nigeria move forward!
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by levi2(m): 5:40am On Jul 19, 2022
How much does a commissioner of police earn in a month, how much does the average Nigerian earn in a month? So if you fix the salary of professors, what happens to the other sectors in the country, are they not important too?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Corto: 7:21am On Jul 19, 2022
REALretep:

You create more schools for more students, they come out with the certificates and cannot find jobs, cannot do stuff with their hands i.e. no skills either. University education isn't a must for everyone, let government create and fund technical colleges where the youth get marketable and useful technical skills, instead of building more universities to churn out half-baked professors and students.

I swear these guys are all idiots!

1 Like

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by legba1(m): 8:03am On Jul 19, 2022
It is good these professors taste a bit of the hardship they landed Nigerians by their corrupt ways of life. Majority of the state Inec returning officers are profs/head of institutions, they will collect bribe and return the highest bidders. At the end if the day, the highest bidder they return will denied all if us the good life we should have. Let Nigerians deal with bad politicians at the polls and demand the good life we earnestly desire.
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:30am On Jul 19, 2022
abbasajao:

This your question does not portray intelligency.
I have already provided a response to your comment here

https://www.nairaland.com/post/114853061
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 19, 2022
Establishing more universities is a waste of resources, they cant look after the existing ones they are establishing new ones, where will they get the funds to run them.?
The country is borrowing foreing loans to pay salaries of government workers.

Ochono's statement is irresponsible , he is mocking his fellow lecturers .
Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:31am On Jul 19, 2022
orion7:
not professors I’ll tell you that for free. Busy all professors where thought by primary school teachers

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:33am On Jul 19, 2022
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Kai
Nawao grin grin

Both are imparting knowledge
One teaches while the other lectures.

Again individuals on whom the knowledge is being imparted differ in age, educational in both groups. While the methodolody also difers between the two
Check this out

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:33am On Jul 19, 2022
Odidigboigbo:
Your question is like the argument between egg and fowl, who came first?

jkpbestseries:

who trained the professors

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:34am On Jul 19, 2022
Sonoyom:

Who trained the professor?

Re: I Feel Ashamed Nigerian Professors Earn Less Than $1000 A Month - TETFund Boss by REALretep(m): 8:35am On Jul 19, 2022
Tchalz:

Those who trained the teachers were first trained by Primary School Teachers. You won't get anywhere with this argument

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should My Daughter Still Go To Airforce School / Crying Is Permitted — Lecturer Tells Students Sitting For Their Examination / Michael Okpara University Hostel Is On Fire (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.