Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: (878 Views)

Scientists Create Human Sperm In Laboratory / Scientist can now create human organs ear, heart, liver etc / Scientists Create Human Liver From Stem Cells. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: by henry101(m): 9:52pm On Jul 29, 2011
BY EMEKA MAMAH

A Professor of Biotechnology, James Ogbonna has said “the future of man on earth depends to a great extent on Biotechnology because it potentially has solutions to all our problems,’’ including creating “human spare parts’’. Ogbonna spoke while delivering the 61 annual lecture of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, UNN, yesterday.

He also said Biotechnology has been helping to ensure increase in crop and farm animal productivity as it has the potential of causing the production of enough food to feed the world.

He said although the ‘’use of human embryonic stem cell is controversial but adult stem cells are now isolated from the brain, intestine, hair, skin, pancreas, bone marrow, fat, teeth, muscle and blood,’’ pointing out that ‘’these adult stem cells are used to produce vital organs and less controversial.

His words: ‘’Can we now imagine a world with sufficient quality food for all, where there is no energy scarcity; with very clean and safe environment and ready cure for all diseases threatening human existence now?

‘’A world where human beings can decide to design and “produce” the type of human he needs on earth? A world where man will be living for 150 years or even longer?

‘’Biotechnology is saying that it is possible and has demonstrated some of these.

“It is now possible to produce crops that are resistant to various diseases and pests; that can mature much faster and produce higher yields even on poor soils; crops that are more nutritious with much longer shelf-life, bio-fortified food crops, diet food stuff for diabetic patients and people that require special diets, edible vaccines from plant sources; farm animals that grow faster, produce better quality meat, cow and other animals that produce large quantities of good quality milk, birds that lay more than two eggs every day, sheep that produce more and better quality wool.
‘’The application of Biotechnology has already led to several-folds yield increases in many plant species.

‘’Some of these crops/plant products have been commercialized, others are being tested in experimental farms while others are at various stages of development. It has been applied to crops like potato, rose, cotton, corn, tomato, rape seed, rice, wheat, barley, yam and tobacco.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/biotech-can-create-human-spare-parts-%E2%80%94-don/
Re: Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: by seanet02: 10:45pm On Jul 29, 2011
Ibo man and this human eating syndrome.
Re: Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: by henry101(m): 11:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
I know you will never miss this thread.
Though not new but Big ups to UNN.
Re: Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jul 29, 2011
More than meets the eye.

Ethics, 100% mapping of whole human genome mapping and host of other factors are to be considered.

ETHICS,the most important!
Re: Biotech Can Create ‘human Spare Parts’ — Don: by ektbear: 2:44am On Jul 30, 2011
Wait a sec, I've not paid any attention to biotech news lately, but I'm sure that if the tech existed to create new organs/body parts, I'd have heard of it.

Or am I missing something? Maybe he means that in the future, it may be possible. But to my knowledge it isn't possible yet.

(1) (Reply)

Any Dermatologist Here? Please Help! / . / Born Without Anus, Rescued By Nigerian Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.