Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. (2682 Views)

Have Anybody Passed The Alx Program? Share Your Experience / Has Anyone Here Passed Toptal Screening Test Before? / Andela: Who Has Passed Stage 3 Of 44 Home Study Assessment? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by airsaylongcome: 9:57am On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

Getting a job is a lesser option for me. The must important thing is to become a guru.

Nigerians we love to spoil thing with our mindset.

It's better I am a guru and no job.

U no go understand Sha.

So you'd rather be a guru and no job yet you come and be haranguing people up and down here to "show love" or else they are "stingy" and "fake remote workers"...Na guru dey hungry you abi? Dey guru dey go. If I hear you mention "stingy" and "fake remote workers" again here....you will know what it means to be a guru

3 Likes

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by Sheriman(m): 9:58am On Jul 22, 2022
Most of the job requirements now needs you to be living in UK especially if you're applying to a UK company.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by LikeAking: 10:01am On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

So you'd rather be a guru and no job yet you come and be haranguing people up and down here to "show love" or else they are "stingy" and "fake remote workers"...Na guru dey hungry you abi? Dey guru dey go. If I hear you mention "stingy" and "fake remote workers" again here....you will know what it means to be a guru

My brother, if I am a guru money go find me, not jobs.

U get?

Serious fact.

Una wey get job suppose to help others. Not me o, I am good.

Na so life suppose be.

That's the way I see life.

I may be wrong.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by Runningwater(m): 10:03am On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Sorry I should have been more explicit.

FTE: Full Time Employee
IC: Independent Contractor

FTE is more preferred but harder to get outside of the US

Oh... really. Thanks for explaining
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by Runningwater(m): 10:15am On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

U get?

I nor go lie but I once believe that but you know what, if someone can't sell himself/herself it's kinda hard or won't get what's expected. For me, knowing something is different from marketing yourself about it.

So focusing on only the expert level only won't work my brother as no one can ever reach expert level instantly cause learning is a lifelong process

2 Likes

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:36am On Jul 22, 2022
tosinhtml:

You're probably new to this industry or maybe just 2 years in, you believe that by being the best leetcoder will get you the best jobs. While this could be true, it could just be suffering without smiling because It doesn't guarantee that you will get the job. That you pass an interview doesn't mean you will get the job. The hiring manager needs to look at your situation all round to make a decision. That's where luck comes in.

I feel luck is when preparation meets opportunity. It takes a whole lot mentally to be good at algorithms and opportunities are always coming in tech. Imagine Amazon the other day announcing that they are coming to recruit from Nigeria and a dev gets an interview. How would you pass without knowing algorithms. Last year, a career fair was held in Lagos here for tech bros. More than 100 tech guys got jobs in Canada. It was all relocation based and the interview was all Algo based. A lady friend of mine who got a job in Canada that sponsored her visa attended this fair. It's not assurance of job but it's improving your luck. Even when I dont have any interview or anything I will always be prepared cause you never know when that opportunity will come and when that time comes you have to be ready.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by chukwuebuka65(m): 10:38am On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

If u believe, then u no b coder.

Sorry!

K
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by airsaylongcome: 10:47am On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

U get?

Serious fact.

Na so life suppose be.

I may be wrong.

You are COMPLETELY WRONG. COMPLETELY.

Helping is completely voluntary and in a variety of ways. And it is earned, not demanded. I have a few goons that I have spent my money to buy flash drives, spent my data to download 80GB learning resources, spent my money to send this several miles across the country. For people I don't know and I've never met. But they earned it. They showed an overwhelming desire to learn and we're facing stumbling blocks accessing learning resources.

You run about here guilt tripping those fortunate to work remote. See, many people working remote don't feel superior to anyone. Many (myself included) know it was God that made the lines fall in the right places. But you go about accusing remote workers of being fake. Of being stingy. Like it is their job to handout money like a PDP or APC presidential aspirant.

It's okay to be a guru. It's okay to be an expert in the hopes that money will find you. But don't go about guilt tripping those who have taken their beginner to intermediate skill to the market and are "seeing front small small" with the lean bar they are seeing. You don't know what they are seeing daily at work. Remote work is not turn up, do nothing and earn "big" money. You work your back raw.

5 Likes

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by LikeAking: 10:48am On Jul 22, 2022
chukwuebuka65:

K

I just dey play.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by airsaylongcome: 10:51am On Jul 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I feel luck is when preparation meets opportunity..

Gbam! Point blank period!

My main role today, I stumbled on it in 2014 and had been playing with it on and off since then. With Corona, I had to setup a quick solution for my Nigerian employeers at the time. Quickly put up the solution and was fixing problems as they arise. Company no dey pay me for all that o. I was just enjoying the fact that I was learning something new and the whole company was relying on it.

1 Like

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by LikeAking: 11:01am On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

You are COMPLETELY WRONG. COMPLETELY.

Helping is completely voluntary and in a variety of ways. And it is earned, not demanded. I have a few goons that I have spent my money to buy flash drives, spent my data to download 80GB learning resources, spent my money to send this several miles across the country. For people I don't know and I've never met. But they earned it. They showed an overwhelming desire to learn and we're facing stumbling blocks accessing learning resources.

You run about here guilt tripping those fortunate to work remote. See, many people working remote don't feel superior to anyone. Many (myself included) know it was God that made the lines fall in the right places. But you go about accusing remote workers of being fake. Of being stingy. Like it is their job to handout money like a PDP or APC presidential aspirant.

It's okay to be a guru. It's okay to be an expert in the hopes that money will find you. But don't go about guilt tripping those who have taken their beginner to intermediate skill to the market and are "seeing front small small" with the lean bar they are seeing. You don't know what they are seeing daily at work. Remote work is not turn up, do nothing and earn "big" money. You work your back raw.

Lean bar? Lolz.

Make una enjoy una money, while I guru up.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by jbreezy: 1:18pm On Jul 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I feel luck is when preparation meets opportunity. It takes a whole lot mentally to be good at algorithms and opportunities are always coming in tech. Imagine Amazon the other day announcing that they are coming to recruit from Nigeria and a dev gets an interview. How would you pass without knowing algorithms. Last year, a career fair was held in Lagos here for tech bros. More than 100 tech guys got jobs in Canada. It was all relocation based and the interview was all Algo based. A lady friend of mine who got a job in Canada that sponsored her visa attended this fair. It's not assurance of job but it's improving your luck. Even when I dont have any interview or anything I will always be prepared cause you never know when that opportunity will come and when that time comes you have to be ready.
word!
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tosinhtml: 1:59pm On Jul 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

I never argued about preparation not meeting opportunity. My point is there is always an element of luck in the company that eventually picks you, the actual decision is not determined by how you pass the interview per say, there are other factors involved. That is why I was stressing to the OP not to worry too much when you fail an Interview, you move to the next one. The engineering manager may not be happy with how you answered one question in particular & frown upon that.

This becomes more prominent if you apply for Senior Roles EG: Senior backend, Senior Frontend, Senior Mobile etc, you won't only have Algo questions. Behavioural questions, System Design Interviews can also be a pain in the neck, ofcourse you'll still have to prepare for that too but then it becomes more trickier. You will also be asked specific questions in your field of expertise and you need to know what you're doing.

There is nothing wrong in preparing for Algos daily, if you have the time and resource, do it. Everybody has to prepare for months to start Interview process.

My point is believing that there is no element of luck in the company that eventually picks you is false. I have done enough Interviews in my lifetime and I can tell you that for free.

3 Likes

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:08pm On Jul 22, 2022
tosinhtml:

I never argued about preparation not meeting opportunity. My point is there is always an element of luck in the company that eventually picks you, the actual decision is not determined by how you pass the interview per say, there are other factors involved. That is why I was stressing to the OP not to worry too much when you fail an Interview, you move to the next one. The engineering manager may not be happy with how you answered one question in particular & frown upon that.

This becomes more prominent if you apply for Senior Roles EG: Senior backend, Senior Frontend, Senior Mobile etc, you won't only have Algo questions. Behavioural questions, System Design Interviews can also be a pain in the neck, ofcourse you'll still have to prepare for that too but then it becomes more trickier. You will also be asked specific questions in your field of expertise and you need to know what you're doing.

There is nothing wrong in preparing for Algos daily, if you have the time and resource, do it. Everybody has to prepare for months to start Interview process.

My point is believing that there is no element of luck in the company that eventually picks you is false. I have done enough Interviews in my lifetime and I can tell you that for free.

Oh yeah definitely well to me my default expectation with regards to anything is always failure so I really don't flinch when bad things happen. I rarely have good things happen to me so I am good cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 2:21pm On Jul 22, 2022
I didn't know people take Tech Rejection personal. That's a waste of time, do as many interviews as you want is my advice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tosinhtml: 2:22pm On Jul 22, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Oh yeah definitely well to me my default expectation with regards to anything is always failure so I really don't flinch when bad things happen. I rarely have good things happen to me so I am good cool

For me, I know if someone keeps interviewing for a year, one of them will definitely workout and most times It's the one we don't expect that ends up working out. So far the companies that stress me the most in Interviews have ended up giving me the less reward, so I have completely removed my mind from expecting a reward just because I suffered in the process. This is just my personal experience.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 2:25pm On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

U get?

Serious fact.

Na so life suppose be.

I may be wrong.

@airsaylongcome ignore this guy he doesn't know how to talk, "Una" to someone that helps people get gigs, people dey mad for this NL, i swear , as if say he keep money with person. My Guy grow and be thinking before talking, you're sabotaging your own opportunity.

You're not the only one frustrated, but no one owes you anything.

3 Likes

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 22, 2022
qtguru:
I didn't know people take Tech Rejection personal. That's a waste of time, do as many interviews as you want is my advice.
Failure is failure.. E no easy to chest disappointment especially when everything seems so sure
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 3:22pm On Jul 22, 2022
DrLevi:

Failure is failure.. E no easy to chest disappointment especially when everything seems so sure

Every candidate thinks so, the cost of relocating a Nigeria is expensive and tedious, esp when they can just pick someone else. Nothing is ever sure until you see offer letter or even Visa sef, anything can happen
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tosinhtml: 3:29pm On Jul 22, 2022
qtguru:

Every candidate thinks so, the cost of relocating a Nigeria is expensive and tedious, esp when they can just pick someone else. Nothing is ever sure until you see offer letter or even Visa sef, anything can happen

This one happened to me, I was given an offer but denied visa twice. Naija factor.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by airsaylongcome: 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2022
qtguru:

Until you have passed Customs and Immigration and are sitting in an Uber heading to your accommodation, nothing is sure
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 3:37pm On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Until you have passed Customs and Immigration and are sitting in an Uber heading to your accommodation, nothing is sure

lol you people are scaring me grin
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2022
Also just incase I am looking for DevOps Nigerian company, you should know Docker, Git , Jenkins and Linux.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by LikeAking: 4:12pm On Jul 22, 2022
qtguru:

@airsaylongcome ignore this guy he doesn't know how to talk, "Una" to someone that helps people get gigs, people dey mad for this NL, i swear , as if say he keep money with person. My Guy grow and be thinking before talking, you're sabotaging your own opportunity.

You're not the only one frustrated, but no one owes you anything.

Which opourtunity?
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by airsaylongcome: 4:28pm On Jul 22, 2022
LikeAking:

Which opourtunity?

what’s your niche in this tech space that we are all hustling in?
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by LikeAking: 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

what’s your niche in this tech space that we are all hustling in?

JS full stack.

Also open to dev on various platforms.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by jesmond3945: 4:50pm On Jul 22, 2022
tosinhtml:

This one happened to me, I was given an offer but denied visa twice. Naija factor.
which country
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tosinhtml: 5:03pm On Jul 22, 2022
jesmond3945:
which country
Thailand, company is Agoda.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:09pm On Jul 22, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Event this isn't still sure. someone on LinkedIn was complaining about getting a job in the UK he's based in Malta. He traveled to the UK and his offer got rescinded a day to starting work. I think until you have worked and collected first month salary expect nothing. Nothing is certain.

1 Like

Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by jesmond3945: 5:16pm On Jul 22, 2022
tosinhtml:

Thailand, company is Agoda.
na mumu dey worry the country. Na to do remote with the company.
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 22, 2022
qtguru:

Did the cost increase recently? because it used to be a norm for companies to relocate talent
Re: Passed All Rounds Of Interview And Still Got Rejected. by qtguru(m): 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2022
DrLevi:

Did the cost increase recently? because it used to be a norm for companies to relocate talent

Cost, delay it's cheaper to relocate EU devs, so why should the company give Nigerians any special treatment, Foreigners don't send anybody unless it's luck that they want you bad.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Problem With Java Gui Design / Jumia Item Grabber / TeamApt Code Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.