Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,339 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:43 PM

My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G (613 Views)

My Father’s Death Inspired My Hit Song – Teniola / T-Rex, Terry G's Son Resumes School In UK (Photo) / Terry G Shows Off His Parents On Instagram (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G by WonderManly(m): 8:20am On Jul 24, 2022
My hit song, Free Madness, was a mistake –Terry G

Singer, Gabriel Amanyi, aka Terry G, tells BLESSING ENENAITE about his music career, controversies, current projects and other issues

In your heyday, you were known as the ‘king of the streets’. However, your fans have not heard any hit song from you for some time. Why is that so?
What influences your kind of songs?

My environment inspires the kind of songs I do. There was a time I was in a particular environment that did not suit my kind of music. In that area, one is not expected to make noise. However, my kind of songs have a noisy attitude. So, that killed my spirit for a while. That was when I realised that one’s environment influences the kind of songs one makes.

You once said that controversies did not allow you to enjoy fame. Do you think people had a wrong perception about your personality outside music?

Some people never knew me. They only knew the kind of artiste I became. Myt hit song, Free Madness, was actually a mistake. I was actually testing the microphone, but the song was released, and it went viral. Before I knew it, people wanted me to start doing that type of music. I did not plan to do the ‘crazy’ kind of music. It was divine.

What is the most controversial thing you have heard about yourself that is not true?

I love controversies but I don’t plan them. Controversy is one of the most interesting parts of showbiz. If music does not last, it is the news that will keep one active.

You once said your parents were not comfortable with your dreadlocks. Did they later accept it?

The acceptance is not yet 100 per cent. The question is, ‘Do I have a choice’? I had to let my mum know that a man can have earrings, and not be a bad person. People have different beliefs. Back then, before I went home, I had to wear a cap to cover the dreadlocks. I always hid my hair inside the cap then but I am now mature.

You have often mentioned that you regret your ‘wild’ controversies. What do you intend to do differently to right your past wrongs?

I am doing it already. I no longer get into trouble. My behaviour and the way I approach things have changed. Most of the controversies I was involved in were not deliberate. They were some of the things that came with fame. I was more talked about then. My controversies got more attention than my music. It was my fans that pushed me (in that direction), and that is how they are pushing the new guy now. No matter how my fans hail me, I don’t allow it get to me anymore. It does not get into my head like before.

You once had an issue with DJ Jimmy Jatt because of the way you treated one of his workers. DJs allegedly decided not to work with you again. How was the matter resolved?

It was actually settled the next day because I went to DJ Jimmy Jatt’s house. It’s just bad news always goes farther than good news. I actually apologised then.

The DJ in question did some things that I felt were not professional. If I had left that place in shame, it would not have gone well, considering what people know Terry G for. It would not have been good for my image.

I am still the king of the streets, even if I have not released any content in a while. It is deliberate. I had a court case which was going on underground. I could not release any content because of that. I had to use that time to focus on my family and business. I had the urge to release songs but I could not because of the contract I had. Presently, I am working on releasing more content.

What was the court issue about?

Please, I will rather not talk about it.

You seem to have a restless spirit and you are always energetic. Is it because of the kind of songs you make?

As an instrumentalist, particularly a drummer, I am strong and always active. I attended different churches as an instrumentalist which made me to have different ideas about music. I can act as a Mountain of Fire Church member or even a Celestial Church member. I play different musical instruments.

Aside from your persona as a singer, what side of you exists that your fans are not aware of?

Terry G, the artiste is the crazy one that many people know about. It is not everyone that knows Gabriel, the real me. I am actually shy though some people may not believe that. When I go outside, I react based on what people think about my brand.

You were recently compared to controversial artiste, Portable. How did that make you feel?

It is a good thing. I love Portable so much. Despite the fact that I did the ‘crazy genre’ of music, it does not mean that somebody else cannot be inspired and still unique. He is quite unique. There is nothing he has that can be compared to mine, musically and intellectually. I feel nobody should shut him out. He cannot be stopped.

If he stops talking, what else will happen? That is his style. It (controversies) did not just start from me. It started with different guys that represented the streets, and it will still continue. It is normal.

Do you have any plans of collaborating with Portable?

Yes. He has been to my house twice. But, we could not record our song that day because he had to be at a show in Akure, Ondo State. I am interested in working with anybody that represents the streets. I am a producer and singer.

It (my not leaving the stage when necessary) was a mistake but he (the DJ) should not have done what he did (playing another song which meant I should leave the stage). Telling me to ‘take it outside’ was an insult to me. That was what caused the issue between me and the DJ.

Some entertainers think that they need controversies to become popular. Considering your experience, what is your advice to such people?

I believe there are good and bad controversies. The fact is that one needs guts to sell one’s content. One needs promotion, which could also involve controversies. However, they should think of how it will affect them positively or negatively.

https://punchng.com/my-hit-song-free-madness-was-a-mistake-terry-g/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1yntj7exw0scLVrL7zXnfXL6UFkiBieQXZf2I6nwEPwNEQCqMs-E9kZZA#Echobox=1658632080

Re: My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G by Ahmed0336(m): 8:59am On Jul 24, 2022
Okay.

Can you return all the money made from that record? Including the fee you collected during concerts/ performance and you performed that song?

Re: My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G by AsabaPropertyAg(m): 10:44am On Jul 24, 2022
Teery G, how far now, long time we no hear from you?

WonderManly:
My hit song, Free Madness, was a mistake –Terry G

Singer, Gabriel Amanyi, aka Terry G, tells BLESSING ENENAITE about his music career, controversies, current projects and other issues

In your heyday, you were known as the ‘king of the streets’. However, your fans have not heard any hit song from you for some time. Why is that so?
What influences your kind of songs?

My environment inspires the kind of songs I do. There was a time I was in a particular environment that did not suit my kind of music. In that area, one is not expected to make noise. However, my kind of songs have a noisy attitude. So, that killed my spirit for a while. That was when I realised that one’s environment influences the kind of songs one makes.

You once said that controversies did not allow you to enjoy fame. Do you think people had a wrong perception about your personality outside music?

Some people never knew me. They only knew the kind of artiste I became. Myt hit song, Free Madness, was actually a mistake. I was actually testing the microphone, but the song was released, and it went viral. Before I knew it, people wanted me to start doing that type of music. I did not plan to do the ‘crazy’ kind of music. It was divine.

What is the most controversial thing you have heard about yourself that is not true?

I love controversies but I don’t plan them. Controversy is one of the most interesting parts of showbiz. If music does not last, it is the news that will keep one active.

You once said your parents were not comfortable with your dreadlocks. Did they later accept it?

The acceptance is not yet 100 per cent. The question is, ‘Do I have a choice’? I had to let my mum know that a man can have earrings, and not be a bad person. People have different beliefs. Back then, before I went home, I had to wear a cap to cover the dreadlocks. I always hid my hair inside the cap then but I am now mature.

You have often mentioned that you regret your ‘wild’ controversies. What do you intend to do differently to right your past wrongs?

I am doing it already. I no longer get into trouble. My behaviour and the way I approach things have changed. Most of the controversies I was involved in were not deliberate. They were some of the things that came with fame. I was more talked about then. My controversies got more attention than my music. It was my fans that pushed me (in that direction), and that is how they are pushing the new guy now. No matter how my fans hail me, I don’t allow it get to me anymore. It does not get into my head like before.

You once had an issue with DJ Jimmy Jatt because of the way you treated one of his workers. DJs allegedly decided not to work with you again. How was the matter resolved?

It was actually settled the next day because I went to DJ Jimmy Jatt’s house. It’s just bad news always goes farther than good news. I actually apologised then.

The DJ in question did some things that I felt were not professional. If I had left that place in shame, it would not have gone well, considering what people know Terry G for. It would not have been good for my image.

I am still the king of the streets, even if I have not released any content in a while. It is deliberate. I had a court case which was going on underground. I could not release any content because of that. I had to use that time to focus on my family and business. I had the urge to release songs but I could not because of the contract I had. Presently, I am working on releasing more content.

What was the court issue about?

Please, I will rather not talk about it.

You seem to have a restless spirit and you are always energetic. Is it because of the kind of songs you make?

As an instrumentalist, particularly a drummer, I am strong and always active. I attended different churches as an instrumentalist which made me to have different ideas about music. I can act as a Mountain of Fire Church member or even a Celestial Church member. I play different musical instruments.

Aside from your persona as a singer, what side of you exists that your fans are not aware of?

Terry G, the artiste is the crazy one that many people know about. It is not everyone that knows Gabriel, the real me. I am actually shy though some people may not believe that. When I go outside, I react based on what people think about my brand.

You were recently compared to controversial artiste, Portable. How did that make you feel?

It is a good thing. I love Portable so much. Despite the fact that I did the ‘crazy genre’ of music, it does not mean that somebody else cannot be inspired and still unique. He is quite unique. There is nothing he has that can be compared to mine, musically and intellectually. I feel nobody should shut him out. He cannot be stopped.

If he stops talking, what else will happen? That is his style. It (controversies) did not just start from me. It started with different guys that represented the streets, and it will still continue. It is normal.

Do you have any plans of collaborating with Portable?

Yes. He has been to my house twice. But, we could not record our song that day because he had to be at a show in Akure, Ondo State. I am interested in working with anybody that represents the streets. I am a producer and singer.

It (my not leaving the stage when necessary) was a mistake but he (the DJ) should not have done what he did (playing another song which meant I should leave the stage). Telling me to ‘take it outside’ was an insult to me. That was what caused the issue between me and the DJ.

Some entertainers think that they need controversies to become popular. Considering your experience, what is your advice to such people?

I believe there are good and bad controversies. The fact is that one needs guts to sell one’s content. One needs promotion, which could also involve controversies. However, they should think of how it will affect them positively or negatively.

https://punchng.com/my-hit-song-free-madness-was-a-mistake-terry-g/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1yntj7exw0scLVrL7zXnfXL6UFkiBieQXZf2I6nwEPwNEQCqMs-E9kZZA#Echobox=1658632080
Re: My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G by vastolord4(m): 11:03am On Jul 24, 2022
Nigerians love mistakes.. that's why our mistakes costs us everything.. their greatest mistake was reelecting Buhaha in 2019.. I warned them about Tinubu and his greed.. remember what Tinubu did to water park ikeja?
Re: My Hit Song, Free Madness, Was A Mistake –terry G by WonderManly(m): 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2022
Ahmed0336:
Okay.

Can you return all the money made from that record? Including the fee you collected during concerts/ performance and you performed that song?
You sey wetin?

(1) (Reply)

I Have Close My Doors To Every Noise – Ini Edo Responds As Denies Allegation / Regina Daniels And Husband, Ned Reveal She Has Never Entered Kitchen To Cook As / Tory Lanez Convicted In Megan Thee Stallion’s Shooting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.