Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? (23425 Views)

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles / God Want An African Pope If The Incumbent One Resign / Did God Want The Dana Flight To Crash? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 11:58pm On Aug 01, 2011
"you are a tool and i have my reasons for saying so.
firstly, the word poor is relative - a poor man in america can still afford the basic necessities of life and he is almost equivalent to the middle-class in nigeria. i don't see how you think the word poor in america and nigeria means the same thing in terms of what they can both afford.
i detest half-witted crooks but yours is more detestable because you should know better."

What expression of illogic and incoherence!

Shouldn't it be the other way round? If the poor in America are almost like the middle class in Nigeria, shouldn't they be in a better position to pay tithes than the poor in Nigeria? So, why claim that some christians in America are not paying tithes because they are poor, when by your baseless assertion they're not truly poor?

Oh, btw, your claim is false again. There are many poor people in America that are poorer than the poor in Nigeria. Saying that the poor in America is almost equivalent to the middle class in Nigeria is complete rubbish. And persuades me that you cannot even find the US on a map, much less getting a visa to visit.

And my earlier question remains: how many countries have you visited (to know that it's only in Nigeria that people complain about tithing . . . .)?
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 11:59pm On Aug 01, 2011
Breeze5000:

@Coogar,
I would expect you to disprove all the Bible quotations (here) instead you are just showing the world that you know no other way even when the proof is staring you straight in the face. Whatever you do, just know that God does not need your money (though pastors do) What God needs is kindness to your fellow man, so you might wanna think on spending some of those tithe money on Widows, Orphans and the poor not turning Pastors into celebrities that wanna compete with Puff Daddy with their bling! bling! lifestyes

this is one moronic way to debate - where is the proof?

lemme understand this. . . . . . .china have executed 60 nigerian men for drug trafficking. in other words, breeze5000 is a drug mule. the proof is staring in my face since breeze5000 is nigerian and nigerian males are all drug traffickers.

that is the way the above post sounds. like i keep repeating - each case should be considered individually. just because some pastors are criminals should not convict the others. you have no proof but hollow sound bites. it's a shame that your supposed intelligence has no spine but conjectures and rumours.

nlMediator:

What expression of illogic and incoherence!

you are a consummate simpleton!

Shouldn't it be the other way round? If the poor in America are almost like the middle class in Nigeria, shouldn't they be in a better position to pay tithes than the poor in Nigeria? So, why claim that some christians in America are not paying tithes because they are poor, when by your baseless assertion they're not truly poor?

you are a cretin of diverse proportions.
the poor in america is like a middle-class in nigeria but he's still poor in america where he's expected to pay the tithes.
if he was paying his tithe in nigeria, then you have a point but he's tithing in america(where he sees himself as a poor person)

Oh, btw, your claim is false again. There are many poor people in America that are poorer than the poor in Nigeria. Saying that the poor in America is almost equivalent to the middle class in Nigeria is complete rubbish. And persuades me that you cannot even find the US on a map, much less getting a visa to visit.

yet more asinine comments from a vermin.
of course, the average american live on $1per day like nigerians. 200 people share one flat like they do in lagos.
their buses are packed. 49 sitting, 99 standing. america is ruined with famine, drought, malaria, hiv, etc like nigeria.
your moral and intellectual compass is so screwed up i doubt you can find your way to your study room - bloody irritant!

you were still a spermatozoon when i started visiting the states.

And my earlier question remains: how many countries have you visited (to know that it's only in Nigeria that people complain about tithing . . . .)?

of course, i have to visit every country to know the time difference is not the same. i have to visit every country to know different countries have their own currency, etc.
and yet when they ask graduates to raise their hands up in the society - you will raise your hands up not knowing you are a quarter-baked graduate whose intelligence quotient is lower than your shoe size in inches.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 02, 2011
Breeze5000:

You too much my guy, Abeg explain the Hebrews 7: 8 for me well cos I no grab the full gist. Thanks

Thanks for asking me but I think the answer below has gone beyond the one I was going to give you.

garyarnold:

@Febup said, "Hebrews 7: 8
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

The above verse in the new testament tells us the men that die receives tithes, it does not tell us that God receives tithes. This shows that pastors are the ones receiving tithes and they are not collecting it for God as they claim."

No, that is NOT what the New Testament tells us. The Book of Hebrews was written BEFORE the Temple was destroyed. The Jews kept taking their tithe to the Levitical priesthood until the Temple was destroyed in 70AD. That verse is referring to the Levites and has nothing to do with today.

Those who think they are paying the Biblical tithe today are merely taking a tenth of their income to man, NOT God. They have been deceived.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 12:22am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

Hey, slow down! You may be hare-brained, but you need not make that so obvious.

hare-brained and yet this lummox cannot even use the quote button to reply like intellectuals do.
how ironic.

I can see you’re really stung by my debunking your baselessly false claim that it’s only in Nigeria that people complain about tithes. You’re the type that because they managed to visit Ethiopia a few years ago, bamboozle people in Nigeria with claims about what happens in foreign countries that they know next to nothing about. Sorry, wrong forum and timing!

stung? because i have no time to carefully fine-comb your baseless stats.
ma hands are tied tonight - if i start paying attention to your heap of trumpery - your folly shall be exposed.

I know I’m basically wasting time instructing you, but I’m enjoying the amusement value. Your comments evidence a staggering ignorance and simplicity. Here’s a guy that professes interest in exclusive conversation with intellectuals when he’s so poorly educated and largely unexposed.

hehehe - you are the joke!
keep laughing at your own idiocy.

Hardly anybody who has successfully gone through a thorough graduate program in a real university will make such an asinine claim that ‘only Nigerians complain about tithes (on the ground that the pastors misuse the money). Because such graduate or even student would know that (1) he cannot prove the assertion, having not been to all the countries in the world nor in possession of any decent study that says the same, and (2) the claim can easily be disproven, even by pointing to just one country that shows the contrary.

yet more fuckery for a supposed intellectual.
listen very well this time cos i know your brain processes information at snail-speed.
i said only nigerians complain about tithing and they do so by denigrating their pastors and accusing them of stealing tithes.

you then foolishly stated americans do it as well.
i have asked you more than 5 times to show me where americans have accused a pastor(without proof) of stealing funds and you have been speaking in tongues since then bed hopping from one spineless comment to another.
did you pass out from any citadel of learning at all?

To disprove it, here it is – this time read s-l-o-w-l-y:

1) In the US, vast majority of Christians do not pay tithes.
2) One can assume that they do not pay because they have one complaint or another about tithing. But we need not rely on assumption. We have the evidence published on the internet, at least.
3) Some of these complaints relate to how pastors use (or misuse) the money. For a sample, see a book published recently on that: “What Your Pastor Didn’t Tell You About The Prosperity Message” by Leah L. Davis, available here - http://leahldavis.com/main/

If you cannot afford one or have no accessible credit card, let me know and I can send you a copy at my expense. That’s worth it for the free entertainment you’ve provided. Even your insults are hilariously unimaginative. Keep the amusement going. You're an answer to prayer!

that is if you have ever touched a credit card before with your leprous hand in your pathetic sad life.
see his mouth like credit card. grin grin grin grin grin the mongolian airhead probably thinks credit cards just work without a billing address to match the details. the way you have been illogical and misconducted with your vacuous reasoning - it is safe to assume you are just a wannabe. the tool might actually be slapping mosquitoes on one of those dinghy streets of ojuelegba -

just when i thought internet usage was banned in psychiatric homes in lagos - this lunkhead has just broken from his shackles.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by FreeIndeed: 12:26am On Aug 02, 2011
@coogar,

You said: "but the tither already eats from the tithe in the modern era. when the tithes are collected to build huge edifices with the modern hi-tech gadgets, do you not benefit from those as a member of the congregation? buses to travel from point a to b. an enabling atmosphere to pray, adequate security of lives and properties, alternate power when nepa/phcn strike, etc. are those not the things the tithes have done that every member of the congregation enjoys? who do you think pay for the renting of the venue of the church, the plastic chairs, the people who fix the place every service? where do you think those people are paid from? the pastor's inheritance from his dad or from the federal ministry of works and housing?"

During the Old Covenant, various offerings (including the tithe) were used to take care of the Jewish temple and those who worked in the temple -- yet none of this was considered to be "eating from the tithe." Under the Old Covenant, "eating from the tithe" had a LITERAL meaning. In other words, you were expected to literally EAT AND/OR DRINK your tithe.

Since "eating from the tithe" has a literal meaning in Scripture -- then why all of a sudden (with NO Biblical explanation) do you say that "eating from the tithe" in the New Covenant has a METAPHORICAL meaning? How did you LEAP to the personalized interpretation that someone is "eating from the tithe" by paying for the upkeep of a church-building, its furniture, etc? Your metaphorical re-interpretation of "eating from the tithe" is foreign to Scripture. You are eisegeting Scripture and re-interpreting the command to "eat from the tithe" so that it fits your false tradition.

Instead of injecting metaphorical meanings into Scriptures that are literal, why not just be HONEST and admit that you are NOT tithing according to the way GOD COMMANDED IN SCRIPTURE? It is so clear to everyone who understands Biblical tithing that none of you who so-called "tithe" are "eating from the tithe" as God commanded. Yet rather than admit that you are not tithing according to Scripture, you would rather ADD to God's Word by injecting your own ideas into passages that have a LITERAL meaning. Do you know what the Scriptures say about adding to God's Word? And don't you know that God's Word is not subject to any PRIVATE INTERPRETATION (2 Peter 1:20)?

Your personalized re-interpretation of "eating from the tithe" cannot be found ANYWHERE in the New Testament. The apostles did not teach that by paying for the upkeep of buildings & chairs that you are "eating from the tithe," so where did you get that unbiblical idea from? A so-called "pastor" right? What is his name? Because I know that Jesus nor the Holy Spirit gave you that interpretation.

Enigma said: "tithing" has been "disannulled" (abolished) along with the Levitical priesthood on which it was based: both have been replaced by the bringing in of a better hope (which makes things perfect) and by which we draw nigh unto God."

Coogar, then you said: "white elephant lie. matthew 23:23 says you are lying."

Enigma didn't lie. What he stated is a basic Biblical truth. The Old Covenant (which would include its tithing laws) was abolished at the Cross, and the New Covenant was instituted. The author of Hebrews went to GREAT LENGTHS to explain all of this to Believers who drifted away from the New Covenant, and went back to the Old Covenant pattern. The author of Hebrew flat-out stated that God rendered the Old Covenant OBSOLETE. The term obsolete means "no longer in use, not current, out of date, discarded, no longer active, out of practice." The Old Covenant (which would include tithing, circumcision, Sabbath-keeping, etc) have been DISCARDED by God.

In the book of Galatians, we see that false teachers infiltrated Christian fellowships, bewitched the saints with false teachings, and brought them back under the Law of Moses (specifically the law of circumcision). Paul was very offended and angry by this, because he understood that the Old Covenant (ALL OF IT) had been ABOLISHED -- and by putting Christians back under Old Covenant laws, they were also under the curses of the law (for not keeping ALL of it properly - see Deuteronomy 28:15-68 for a long list of the curses). In their attempt to practice the works of the law -- they drifted away from Jesus Christ and the New Covenant, which is based on FAITH.

As for Matthew 23:23 it says "23 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: judgment and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone."

You ignore a few things about this passage: 1) The first thing is that this event took place during the OLD COVENANT while the tithing laws were still in effect. The scribes and Pharisees were suppose to tithe because the Old Covenant was still in place. 2) Jesus was NOT commanding NEW COVENANT CHRISTIANS to tithe. He was rebuking the scribes and Pharisees for tithing even the HERBS IN THEIR GARDEN, yet neglecting MORE IMPORTANT matters about judging righteously, showing people mercy, and having faith in God. How could you overlook the principle of what Christ was saying, and misuse the very same passage to teach an idea that is not there?

You said: "see, i don't have any problem if you decide not to tithe(it's your prerogative). . . . .but don't discourage the people who tithe with your heresy."

You seem not to understand the issue at hand. People like myself are not "deciding not to tithe." The issue is that we studied God's Word about GIVING, and it clearly shows that it is IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP THE TITHING LAWS TODAY, because they were abolished at the Cross. The Old Covenant is gone -- ALL of it (including the tithing laws). It has passed away. It no longer exists. We are in the New Covenant today. Our giving is Spirit-led from a cheerful heart. The tithing laws are inferior to Spirit-led giving. The needs of God's people can NEVER be met by today's 10% "tithing" tradition. Our needs will only be met when we are led by the Spirit to sacrifice all that we have for one another. That is what the first Christians did in Acts 2. They did not try to pay tithes (they knew better). They gave like Jesus did on the Cross -- they gave all that they had. They were a living sacrifice (Romans 12:2). Just like the blood of Jesus EXCELS the blood of bulls & rams -- Spirit-led giving EXCELS Old Covenant tithing laws. A church that gives 10% of their income under an Old Covenant pattern will not be as FRUITFUL as a Church that gives by the Spirit.

The teaching that God wants Christians to "tithe" today is a HERESY. If Paul the apostle were here today, he would speak against it. And his letter to the Galatians actually does speak against it. So does the book of Hebrews.

The Old Covenant is GONE -- so anyone who tells you that "God wants you to tithe" is lying, or at the very least deceived and confused themselves. This is why you must study the Scriptures so that you know the truth and are not deceived by any man. I can see that at the moment, you hold VERY TIGHTLY to this false tradition called "tithing." But I'm confident that when you finally see/hear the truth about this issue, you will let go of the LIE and do what the New Testament ACTUALLY says "You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others." (2 Corinthians 9:6-cool
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 12:29am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

this is one moronic way to debate - where is the proof?

lemme understand this. . . . . . .china have executed 60 nigerian men for drug trafficking. in other words, breeze5000 is a drug mule. the proof is staring in my face since breeze5000 is nigerian and nigerian males are all drug traffickers.

that is the way the above post sounds. like i keep repeating - each case should be considered individually. just because some pastors are criminals should not convict the others. you have no proof but hollow sound bites. it's a shame that your supposed intelligence has no spine but conjectures and rumours.

you are a consummate simpleton!

you are a cretin of diverse proportions.
the poor in america is like a middle-class in nigeria but he's still poor in america where he's expected to pay the tithes.
if he was paying his tithe in nigeria, then you have a point but he's tithing in america(where he sees himself as a poor person)

yet more asinine comments from a vermin.
of course, the average american live on $1per day like nigerians. 200 people share one flat like they do in lagos.
their buses are packed. 49 sitting, 99 standing. america is ruined with famine, drought, malaria, hiv, etc like nigeria.
your moral and intellectual compass is so screwed up i doubt you can find your way to your study room - bloody irritant!

you were still a spermatozoon when i started visiting the states.

of course, i have to visit every country to know the time difference is not the same. i have to visit every country to know different countries have their own currency, etc.
and yet when they ask graduates to raise their hands up in the society - you will raise your hands up not knowing you are a quarter-baked graduate whose intelligence quotient is lower than your shoe size in inches.

Like I said, keep the entertainment coming! Would not have believed we still have such idiots around until today. Do you have DVDs or CDs of your antics?

There's solid documentation of the number of countries in the world, currencies, flags, etc. Where is your documentation for the brainless assertion that people in other countries do not complain about tithing?

Nobody said that the poor in America are not better than the poor in Nigeria generally. But that's only general. In particular cases, some poor in America are poorer than the poor in Nigeria. Your references to crowded buses, etc showyour below-zero level of reasoning.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 12:34am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

Like I said, keep the entertainment coming! Would not have believed we still have such idiots around until today. Do you have DVDs or CDs of your antics?

There's solid documentation of the number of countries in the world, currencies, flags, etc. Where is your documentation for the brainless assertion that people in other countries do not complain about tithing?

Nobody said that the poor in America are not better than the poor in Nigeria generally. But that's only general. In particular cases, some poor in America are poorer than the poor in Nigeria. Your references to crowded buses, etc showyour below-zero level of reasoning.

my days. . . . .see the effects of a negative integer intelligence quotient.
the same priggish twit that said americans are poorer than nigerians has changed mouth that nobody said the poor in america ain't better than the poor in nigeria? so what about your ridiculous analysis on "the other way round" - americans should be tithing more than nigerians?

i have got a zero tolerance for troglodytes like yourself.
you are half-witted with little or no penmanship. you have shifted posts more than 20 times tonight after being boxed into a corner.
if intellectual debates ain't your forte - why not go home and learn some knitting with your nan?
bloody asswipe!

@ freeindeed,

your comment is filled with complex contradictions you cannot even begin to understand

your first line went about comparing eating from the tithe in the old convenant to the modern day era. that is - things should be done the way they were practised in the mosaic days in the modern day. only for you to then say the old convenant has been abolished and the new testament should be the one practised.

my problem with comments like yours is - people now choose which of the commandments to follow randomly to suit their selfish interests. who decides when to follow the old laws or the new laws? this argument is tedious. tithing is what i love doing - and i will continue to do it no matter what people like you come online to spew.

what have i got to lose if i tithe? nothing. i priortize it. i don't smoke and i don't gamble.
for some people it's vice versa - they don't tithe but they spend the money on other stuffs.
at the end of the day, it bores down to the individual. like i keep saying, you can keep your tithe but do not discourage the christians who tithe with your heap of heresy.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 12:36am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

hare-brained and yet this lummox cannot even use the quote button to reply like intellectuals do.
how ironic.

stung? because i have no time to carefully fine-comb your baseless stats.
ma hands are tied tonight - if i start paying attention to your heap of trumpery - your folly shall be exposed.

hehehe - you are the joke!
keep laughing at your own idiocy.

yet more fuckery for a supposed intellectual.
listen very well this time cos i know your brain processes information at snail-speed.
i said only nigerians complain about tithing and they do so by denigrating their pastors and accusing them of stealing tithes.

you then foolishly stated americans do it as well.
i have asked you more than 5 times to show me where americans have accused a pastor(without proof) of stealing funds and you have been speaking in tongues since then bed hopping from one spineless comment to another.
did you pass out from any citadel of learning at all?

that is if you have ever touched a credit card before with your leprous hand in your pathetic sad life.
see his mouth like credit card. grin grin grin grin grin the mongolian airhead probably thinks credit cards just work without a billing address to match the details. the way you have been illogical and misconducted with your vacuous reasoning - it is safe to assume you are just a wannabe. the tool might actually be slapping mosquitoes on one of those dinghy streets of ojuelegba -

just when i thought internet usage was banned in psychiatric homes in lagos - this lunkhead has just broken from his shackles.

Is that your new line of tomfoolery - I'm technologically behind? Isn't that interesting that even with my low-tech skills, I was able to find and post information that debunked your nonsensical assertion. You don't have time to cross-check what I posted, but you've been posting virtually non-stop for the past 7 hours.

I have provided an example of Americans complaining about tithes and pastors. Read the book. My offer still stands.

Never claimed to be an intellectual. I need not make such claims to an idiot. I know who I am.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Theblessed(f): 12:38am On Aug 02, 2011
[b][size=16pt]People, I am tired of the 'bendng of the truth' in some of our Churches when it comes to the issue of tithing.

The truth is, tithing is an ancient Biblical principle, every Christian should abide by but do we all? No, we don't including myself.  

I am not a tither rather, an offeror and that's by choice.  I receive the same blessing as those tithing and there's nothing I ask the Lord Jesus Christ that, he does not give me.  It maybe a bit delayed certainly, I will receive it however, if there be difficulty then, I put in the FAST.

Yes, I honour God's work through my offerings to Ministries that I support, including my own.  I am really put off tithing, the reason being, some Pastors in certain Ministries I supported in past over bore the congregation with their demands of tithing and would quickly point to the Authority in the Scriptures to substantiate their claims and that made one feel guilty if they fail to tithe - is that what Christianity, is all about?  

No one is arguing that tithing isn't an ancient Biblical principle? No one!  However my take is, if we must follow/apply this priniciple we must do it exactly as the Bible dictated - nothing added and nothing removed, for the word of God is unchangeable, period.

In Genesis Chpt. 14 v. 16 - 20 we learnt that, Abraham the first tither - from whom we learn this principle only tithe his booty/spoils that he brought back from the war he had with Chedorlaomer King of Elam.  

But, what are the spoils/plunders?

We are meant to believe they are usually, cattles, sheep, goats, chickens, gold, silver, captives etc and not necessarily physical cash.  Following this principle, the Isrealites over the Centuries, tithe from their farm produce/surpluses and they were acceptable by the priests.

So, my issues with our pastors are, if we must tithe because, it is a Biblical principle, why shouldn't we tithe in the forms of cattles, sheep, goat, chickens, vegetables etc instead, as they all are insisting on cash tithing and I ask, why?  Why mainly CASH?

In my view, this is what has destroyed the Church today - greed.  And does it surprise anyone when the Bible has told us that 'Money is the root of all evil'.

This is one of the reasons I do not tithe instead, I give offerings to those Ministries/orphanges I believe are truely practising Gods principles in fact, by the end of the month, I give more than those who actually, tithe.

Secondly, ?tithing our monthly incomes or its supplus?

Some pastors are not being honest to their members about this, if they insist on following the Abrahamaic principle then, we should tithe our monthly surpluses and not our income - because the Bible told us that, Abraham tithe all the booty he brought back from war and not the income from his actual wealth that he left with Sarah as he went away, to war, abi?  

Also, we have to take into account that, the wealth he left at home whilst away at war continued to produce income that sustained Sarah and his entire household until he returned from war, abi?

If we are to tithe out monthly income, why did Abraham tithe his war plunder, and not his Home earnings? Was it not part of his  income for that month - why was it not tithe?  

Based on this, why are pastors harassing people about tithing and not telling them the truth about what exactly they should tithe the 10% of - ?their INCOME OR it's SURPLUS - I need an answer?

And, for those who are not aware of what they should actually tithe, know it now
- we are expected to tithe 10% of our increase i.e. the surplus we earn each month thus, tithe is:

'Beyond what you had just before you receive it', and that is the 10% to tithe.

Now, you know it, go give your pastor all your income for the month and go home, lie down, yawn and die! tongue tongue
[/size][/b]
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 12:41am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

my days. . . . .see the effects of a negative integer intelligence quotient.
the same priggish twit that said americans are poorer than nigerians has changed mouth that nobody said the poor in america ain't better than the poor in nigeria? so what about your ridiculous analysis on "the other way round" - americans should be tithing more than nigerians?

i have got a zero tolerance for troglodytes like yourself.
you are half-witted with little or no penmanship. you have shifted posts more than 20 times tonight after being boxed into a corner.
if intellectual debates ain't your forte - why not go home and learn some knitting with your nan?
bloody asswipe!

All along, I thought you're just a mere simpleton. Now, it's clear you're a bald-faced liar. Shifted post 20 times? Said that ALL the poor in Nigeria are better than ALL the poor in America? I love you man! Do you frequent other sites, so I can come over there enjoy you more! I'm here typing and laughing and somebody is asking me why! It's my new found cyber-friend!!
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 12:46am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

All along, I thought you're just a mere simpleton. Now, it's clear you're a bald-faced liar. Shifted post 20 times? Said that ALL the poor in Nigeria are better than ALL the poor in America? I love you man! Do you frequent other sites, so I can come over there enjoy you more! I'm here typing and laughing and somebody is asking me why! It's my new found cyber-friend!!

the person asking you better dial 9-1-1.
another serial w@nker has been added to the statistics of the association of mental handicaps!
you should be muzzled n shackled before you bite and spread your insanity.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Breeze5000: 12:50am On Aug 02, 2011
@Coogar
did you even read your reply to me before posting? My post was not about Pastors enriching themselves, that's not the core message of my post. I am more concerned with the Bible Verses quoted which you refused to address. I just wanted you refute them, By the way why are you going about so much on this tithe thing/ Everybody including Pastors knows that the Tithe of today has nothing to do with what's in the Bible, So if thats the case what's all this long talk for? I may not know more but if there is any place in the Bible where Money is mentioned concerning tithe please show me, Or where Pastors are mentioned to receive tithes, Are today's pastors the equivalent of Levite Priest? If so pls lemme know. Even people that pay tithe agrees that what is in the Bible has nothing to do with what is going on today in the name of tithe. So again what is all these talk for? Please tell me it is the intention of God to make Pastors millionaires through tithes,

Finally I have to ask you politely to reduce the insults, it takes away from the point you are trying to make cos to me those that insults others especially on public Forums are like lil kids still in their diapers
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 12:56am On Aug 02, 2011
The Biblical tithe was NOT a principle.  It was a LAW.  It was REQUIRED.  It was a PAYMENT.

The Levitical tithe was given to the Levites.  The Levites were servants to the priests.  They were the singers, musicians, ushers, janitors - the workers.  The Levites, in turn, were required to give a tenth of the tithe to the priests.

The Levites were required to keep up the Temple WHERE THE SPIRIT OF GOD LIVED.  Now our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit of God lives.

The Temple and expenses to keep up the Temple did NOT come from the tithe.  It came from the Temple Tax (tribute in the KJV) and was paid for with MONEY.  The tithe could NOT be paid with MONEY.

There is no so-called tithing principle in giving.  The tithe was like a tax.

This really isn't hard to understand at all.  The Biblical tithe was always FOOD that came from God's increase of crops and animals and NEVER on income earned by man.  It's simple.  It's not complicated.  But since there are so many ignorant and/or dishonest pastors spreading lies, many have been deceived and just flat out refuse to see the truth right in front of them.

God's Word matters.  What your pastor says doesn't matter.  What I believe doesn't matter.  What you believe doesn't matter.  IF YOU WANT THE TRUTH, YOU CAN GET IT FROM THE BIBLE.  But don't change the words to suit your fancy.  Since God has always known the past, present, and the future, put your trust that He included the future in His Word.  IF God intended Christians to tithe on their income, he wouldn't have left it up to man to decide whether you tithe on gross income, or net income, or what adjustments you make to your income before you tithe.  He would have told us.  SIMPLE AS THAT.

Man has corrupted God's Word.  Man has corrupted God's Church.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 1:00am On Aug 02, 2011
Breeze5000:

@Coogar
did you even read your reply to me before posting? My post was not about Pastors enriching themselves, that's not the core message of my post. I am more concerned with the Bible Verses quoted which you refused to address. I just wanted you refute them,  By the way why are you going about so much on this tithe thing/ Everybody including Pastors knows that the Tithe of today has nothing to do with what's in the Bible,  So if thats the case what's all this long talk for?

indulge me, please.
show me one direct quote from any of the nigerian pastors where it was mentioned the tithing of today has nothing to do with what was said in the bible. please just one quote.

I may not know more but if there is any place in the Bible where Money is mentioned concerning tithe please show me, Or where Pastors are mentioned to receive tithes,  Are today's pastors the equivalent of Levite Priest? If so pls lemme know. Even people that pay tithe agrees that what is in the Bible has nothing to do with what is going on today in the name of tithe. So again what is all these talk for? Please tell me it is the intention of God to make Pastors millionaires through tithes,

how can it be the same? back then, the medium of exchange was livestock.
men were adjudged to be rich by the number of cows, rams, etc they possess. do we then convert our cash and start taking live rams to church in the name of offering and tithes? dang. . . . . .why are christians of nowadays so obtuse?
you have to factor that 2000 yrs have passed. civilization has brought it's own challenges in this matter. money is now the currency, not rams.

Finally I have to ask you politely to reduce the insults, it takes away from the point you are trying to make cos to me those that insults others especially on public Forums are like lil kids still in their diapers

i only insult people who insult me.
an eye for an eye. wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 1:02am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

the person asking you better dial 9-1-1.
another serial w@nker has been added to the statistics of the association of mental handicaps!
you should be muzzled n shackled before you bite and spread your insanity.

While your jokes are not that imaginative, this one was the worst. Are you losing your edge already? Please up the game. Today is your lucky day, as I have many more hours to burn on you. So, I'm up and waiting. And you didn't answer my questions about whether there are other sites where you market your idiocy. People like you are rare in these days of high-seriousness.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by garyarnold(m): 1:03am On Aug 02, 2011
@Coogar,

Have you taken the time to read the Bible?  Wasn't Abram rich in GOLD and SILVER?

Many say that in Biblical times they didn’t have money and that the economy was based on bartering of goods and services.  That is not so.  The Bible shows they not only had money, but that money was used as a common way of doing business.

According to the International Bible Encyclopedia, the days of mere bartering ended before the days of Abraham.

Here are just a few examples from The Word to show they did, in fact, use money in Biblical times.

The tithing law itself proves they had both money and a marketing system for buying and selling their crops and animals (Deuteronomy 14:24-26).

THE PURCHASE OF LAND WITH MONEY BY ABRAHAM - Genesis 23:15-16

THE PURCHASE OF LAND WITH MONEY BY JACOB - Genesis 33:19

JOSEPH WAS SOLD TO THE ISHMEELITES FOR MONEY - Genesis 37:28

A MONEY OFFERING TO BE USED FOR THE SERVICE OF THE TABERNACLE - Exodus 30:14-16,

USING SHEKEL OF SILVER TO VALUE A RAM - Leviticus 5:15

THE FOLLOWING VERSES REFER TO WAGES: Genesis 29:15, Genesis 30:28, Genesis 31:7-8, Genesis 31:41, Exodus 2:9, Leviticus 19:13, Malachi 3:5, etc.

THEY HAD A MONEY STANDARD

There are several places in Scripture indicating that scales were used to weigh metals and other items. The Law of Moses, for example, commands Jews not to use dishonest standards, but instead, to use honest scales and honest weights. (See also Deut. 25:13-15; Job 6:2-3; 31:6; Psa. 62:9; Prov. 11:1; 16:11; 20:10, 23; Isa. 40:12; 46:6; and Jer. 32:10).

Leviticus 19:35-36 – Do not use dishonest standards when measuring length, weight or quantity. Use honest scales and honest weights, an honest ephah and an honest hin. I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt.

In order for money to be an exchangeable equivalent for other commodities in today’s society, there must be a standard in place. Likewise, the Old Testament also had a set standard both prior to the law and during the law. A reference to a pre-law standard is in Genesis 23:16.

Merchants in biblical times traveled from place to place conducting business. According to the written law, the standard weight for metals was set according to the sanctuary shekel (See also Ex 30:13, 24; 38:24-26; Lev. 5:15; Num. 7:13-86; 18:16).

Leviticus 27:25 – Every value is to be set according to the sanctuary shekel, …

In addition, 2 Samuel 14:26 shows that the weight standard for the shekel was set by the royal standard. No matter which era in history is studied, there existed a standard for the weight of precious metals.

Money was also used throughout the law. For example, God’s people gave money to support the tabernacle (Ex. 30:14-16; 38:24-31). There are many other examples that illustrate money’s place within the written law and indicate that money was indeed a part of everyday life. Exodus 35 provides such an example.

Exodus 35:5, 21-22 – From what you have, take an offering for the LORD. Everyone who is willing is to bring to the LORD an offering of gold, silver and bronze;

And there are many more examples to show that money was used for everyday transactions well before the Levitical tithe.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 1:06am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

While your jokes are not that imaginative, this one was the worst. Are you losing your edge already? Please up the game. Today is your lucky day, as I have many more hours to burn on you. So, I'm up and waiting. And you didn't answer my questions about whether there are other sites where you market your idiocy. People like you are rare in these days of high-seriousness.

if you are idle - go and watch a paint dry.
it's so obvious you cannot cope with the pace of the debate - so you back off like nitwits do and decide to take a back seat and watch intellectuals tackle things that are far beyond your understanding.

just sit back and watch how educated people debate.
the moment you mentioned credit card reh reh reh. . . .i knew you have to be a lummox.
what a spaz!

garyarnold:

@Coogar,
Have you taken the time to read the Bible?  Wasn't Abram rich in GOLD and SILVER?

you have answered yourself. abraham was rich in gold and silver.
so what did the not-so-rich spend?

Many say that in Biblical times they didn’t have money and that the economy was based on bartering of goods and services.  That is not so.  The Bible shows they not only had money, but that money was used as a common way of doing business.

what was this currency called then? naira or dollars?
is it a universal medium of exchange like today's money? is it something that everyone had but the degree of riches vary from individual to individual?
can you go to a car shop now and exchange 6 cows for a honda saloon car?
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 1:11am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

indulge me, please.
show me one direct quote from any of the nigerian pastors where it was mentioned the tithing of today has nothing to do with what was said in the bible. please just one quote.

how can it be the same? back then, the medium of exchange was livestock.
men were adjudged to be rich by the number of cows, rams, etc they possess. do we then convert our cash and start taking live rams to church in the name of offering and tithes? dang. . . . . .why are christians of nowadays so obtuse?
you have to factor that 2000 yrs have passed. civilization has brought it's own challenges in this matter. money is now the currency, not rams.

[b]i only insult people who insult me.[/b]an eye for an eye. wink

I would have let this slide, but I want to keep you talking. Can you point to where I insulted you before you started raining your infantile insults? IIRC, all I did was point out that your claim that only Nigerians complain about tithing was not true. Even if my claim was wrong, which it's not, could you not point out the error without insult? Anyway, I'm glad you took the course you took so everybody can see who you are. I've never seen such a combination of idiocy and mendacity in one person. My vote: a spot in the Guinness Book of Records, if you're not there already.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 1:15am On Aug 02, 2011
coogar:

if you are idle - go and watch a paint dry.
it's so obvious you cannot cope with the pace of the debate - so you back off like nitwits do and decide to take a back seat and watch intellectuals tackle things that are far beyond your understanding.

just sit back and watch how educated people debate.
the moment you mentioned credit card reh reh reh. . . .i knew you have to be a lummox.
what a spaz!

you have answered yourself. abraham was rich in gold and silver.
so what did the not-so-rich spend?

what was this currency called then? naira or dollars?
is it a universal medium of exchange like today's money? is it something that everyone had but the degree of riches vary from individual to individual?
can you go to a car shop now and exchange 6 cows for a honda saloon car?

Watching a paint dry is not as much fun!!

Intellectual, indeed. Almost sure, you've never seen one. You would know how they behave. Hint: they don't go about calling themselves intellectuals.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 1:17am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

I would have let this slide, but I want to keep you talking. Can you point to where I insulted you before you started raining your infantile insults? IIRC, all I did was point out that your claim that only Nigerians complain about tithing was not true. Even if my claim was wrong, which it's not, could you not point out the error without insult? Anyway, I'm glad you took the course you took so everybody can see who you are. I've never seen such a combination of idiocy and mendacity in one person. My vote: a spot in the Guinness Book of Records, if you're not there already.

this boy is genuinely irked - i am laughing myself to stupor here.
i have nothing to say to a mendacious mongrel like yourself but in the punditry of hard currency, your intelligence at best will be the zimbabwean dollar

nlMediator:

Watching a paint dry is not as much fun!!

Intellectual, indeed. Almost sure, you've never seen one. You would know how they behave. Hint: they don't go about calling themselves intellectuals.

crikey me, i make a living out of making people like u sound re[i]t[/i]arded. you are sinking to that position rapidly.
why don't you go home & get a breather? you sound a bit pissed. tongue
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 1:26am On Aug 02, 2011
^
Home? You assume everybody is working a night shift with you? OK, looks like I've spent enough time with you. Your jokes are getting drier and you're now borrowing my words more and more. That's not enough to make me laugh. Take care, my friend.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by coogar: 1:30am On Aug 02, 2011
nlMediator:

^
Home? You assume everybody is working a night shift with you? OK, looks like I've spent enough time with you. Your jokes are getting drier and you're now borrowing my words more and more. That's not enough to make me laugh. Take care, my friend.

wow - the coward backs off with his tail between his scrawny legs.
that's one of the ills of the internet. the chaff and the wheat get mixed together but i don't blame you though.
i blame the recipient of your y-chromosomes for not using it as listerine, you cockstain!

i must hit the sack - you have lost 95% of your life liquid in this battle. go get more juice then come back for another can of arse-whupping.

cheers! wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by nlMediator: 1:39am On Aug 02, 2011
^

That's your best parting shot? How utterly disappointing! Of course, every negative wish or curse is of no effect here but returns to you with 1000-fold velocity, ferocity and intensity.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Breeze5000: 2:10am On Aug 02, 2011
@Coogar
why you dey fall my hand nah? Money is as old as time, Christ was sold for 30pieces of Silver, They pay tax with money, Mathew was a tax collector, Joseph was sold for Money not live stock, By the way have you forgotten that most of the times the Israelite were occupied and the people that occupies them use money, ie the Egyptians so money has always been in use. So trust me GOD knows the difference between Money and Livestock the reason he told them to sell their Livestock, land produce etc (if the Journey was too long) and then buy it again when they get to their destination

Yes Pastors that are truthful would admit to you that today's tight is totally different from what's in the Bible, for one are they to replace the Levites? Can they even do that? By the way while my pastor also require for us to pay tithe, he is never one to repeat it often or make you go wild with you. When I first started the Church after a very long time there and I never heard tithe I had to actually ask if they don't do it and was told they actually do but it's something you should do of your own conviction and not because anybody is drumming it on your head. Besides my pastor works so he doesn't take or depend on Church money. Actually he has never touched a cent of Church's money cos he says that's not why he preaches

I hear you on the Insult, but as a Christian shouldn't you ignore those insults? I mean what will it take from you? Personally I never get annoyed with people insulting me online cos I know if they meet the real me, they will like me a lot and I also see those that insult as real kids as no matured or grown up would stoop so low as to insult others.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by ogajim(m): 2:27am On Aug 02, 2011
You guys need to leave this "coogar" dude alone, he is on a huge roll here dishing out insults after insults as any true "christian" would,

You get him on one, he switches gears like someone NL folks remember well for being "regular combatants" with no commission. It is not funny when "believers" retort to name calling and other invectives to "buttress" or emphasize their points but then again, perfection we seek!

The early Christians took contributions, the rich among them sold their belongings to help out the other not so fortunate among them but that is not the main thing these days when there are Jets, SUVs, shining buildings, etc to acquire.

"Churches" "make profit" these days as coogar let slip in one of his numerous rebuttals yet Jesus Christ said "sufficient unto the day is the EVIL thereof", hhhhmmm something fishy!

The next thing we expect from coogar is his list of "MOGs" that are doing the right thing, I won't be surprised if this guy has been to all 50 states of the Union either, and found how the "poor" live,

Omase oooooo!

If Tithe was really the main thrust of Salvation, God would have sent Jesus Christ though the house of Levi as opposed to the tribe of Judah don't you think? Jesus was a Carpenter, Paul made tents, Peter was a fisherman, the list goes on and yet none of them were recorded to have paid tithe once in the Bible, something fishy?

The Levites have been replaced by "Governments" as every believer is a royal Priest, right coogar? wink
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by babaowo: 7:37am On Aug 02, 2011
well i have 4 plots on road side in lagos,any good pastor who already have crowd should apply within , so that we can negotiate on tithe n offering,but remember,i no dey sell d land ooooo!
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Sike(m): 7:44am On Aug 02, 2011
Subscribed!!!
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 02, 2011
I have read everything here and I thank God for finally letting me see the light.

On the issue of tithing, I believe the bible is clear on the issue. TITHING DOES NOT APPLY in today's church. I ask, all the private jets and jeeps that are being bought by our so-called men of God, did they fall from heaven? Salvation message is now secondary to the message of prosperity. When admonishing most people in the bible, Jesus always emphasized selling or giving your RICHES TO THE[b] POOR [/b] and not the priest, pastor, G.O or bishop. Men of God have become robbers who have been blinded by greed and have twisted the scriptures to suit their greedy lifestyles.

Well, pls take these final words of Jesus seriously, "false prophets will arise and deceive many" (emphasis on many). 1 John 4:5, Matt 24:11, 24. Mark 13:22.
These false prophets are already deceiving many and it is happening right before our eyes.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Zikkyy(m): 9:25am On Aug 02, 2011
FreeIndeed:

We are in the New Covenant today. Our giving is Spirit-led from a cheerful heart. The tithing laws are inferior to Spirit-led giving. The needs of God's people can NEVER be met by today's 10% "tithing" tradition. Our needs will only be met when we are led by the Spirit to sacrifice all that we have for one another. That is what the first Christians did in Acts 2. They did not try to pay tithes (they knew better). They gave like Jesus did on the Cross -- they gave all that they had. They were a living sacrifice (Romans 12:2). Just like the blood of Jesus EXCELS the blood of bulls & rams -- Spirit-led giving EXCELS Old Covenant tithing laws.

You've said it all. There is nothing more to add here. Our giving is no longer based on rules. The average tither just cannot come to terms with the fact they've been living a lie. I think reading posts like this is one reason why some tithe payers chose to fight here; you keep reminding them of the truth. They don't want that.
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by samtoye(m): 10:10am On Aug 02, 2011
Tithing is Unscriptural Under the New Covenant

"Will a man ROB God?" How many untold tens of thousands of men will give account one day for teaching this verse in Malachi 3:8 totally out of context for their own sordid gain. I couldn’t count the times I have heard self-appointed ministers of the gospel berate their congregations and listeners for "robbing God" in tithes and offerings.

I marvel at the way the world of Christendom extract money from the poor and peddles the Word of God like so much merchandise for sordid gain. It is an international disgrace.

Jesus Christ’s followers did not pay tithe to Him from farm products or herds; neither did His followers pay Him ten percent of their salaries from other sources of income.

We have Scriptural proof that no such law or custom as Christian tithing was taught or practiced in the Church by the early apostles. Their epistles are totally devoid of any such tithing custom or law. Gentile converts were never taught to tithe to anyone.

Paul never taught the Gentiles to tithe, but he did teach them to give freely from what they had, not from what they didn’t have: "Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give, not grudgingly, or of NECESSITY: for GOD LOVETH A CHEERFUL GIVER." (II Cor,  9:7).

It is funny how poor people's tithes are use to build schools and Universities that those poor cannot afford to attend, large edifices built in the name of God, Pastor driving exotic cars while Congregation are hustling, I even heard of unemployed youths paying tithe and tithing a loan from the bank. These are all wrong and not scriptural.

The real missionaries of the Gospel of Jesus Christ have not flown first class to cushy hotels in exotic lands to teach the natives while dressed in their $3000 suits! The real missionaries were often down in the trenches with few if any luxuries. And there are still to be found such dedicated dispensers of God’s Word. These are the ones that are in need of financial support, for sure. These are those who truly are "worthy of their hire."

HELP THE NEEDY, NOT THE GREEDY

Give to the fatherless, the orphans, the strangers, the widows, the poor, and the needy, the homeless, and the beggar on the street, as God gives to you, the wherewithal. Give to reputable charities if you have extra. Give to your family members and relatives in need—don’t humiliate them by making them ask you first. Give to a neighbor in financial distress. Even when tipping someone, let it be a reflection of the One that you are representing in your Christian walk. Our God is a generous God—may you become generous also. Develop a "love for giving." Paul tells us in Acts 20:35b to:

Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE THAN TO RECEIVE .
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Boboedom: 11:24am On Aug 02, 2011
May I refer all to Matt. 23:23. Christ refers to tithing and also did not condemn it but encourage us to tithe while not neglecting the most important things-Justice, and Mercy and honesty. Bless you all
Re: Tithes - Does God Want The Tithes Of Money? by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 02, 2011
Boboedom:

May I refer all to Matt. 23:23. Christ refers to tithing and also did not condemn it but encourage us to tithe while not neglecting the most important things-Justice, and Mercy and honesty. Bless you all

Jesus was referring to: teachers of the law and Pharisees, and hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin.

And Jesus did not say they give a tenth of their income, He said a tenth of their spices—mint, dill and cumin.

Are you one of these: teachers of the law and Pharisees, and hypocrites

Matthew 23:23
23 “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? / Don't Campaign On Pulpit, Adeboye Warns Redeemed Pastors. / Faith Oyedepo Rescues Traumatized Teenager During Evangelism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.