Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,327 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:33 PM

Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? (481 Views)

Creative Writers Needed For Paid Writing Gigs!!! / Skilled Writers Wanted For Writing Task (N1.70 Per Word) / Dear Nairaland Writers, Why Do You People Always Do This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? by amechispeaks(m): 1:23pm On Jul 26, 2022
With the current petrol prices at over N170 per liter, and prepaid electricity tariffs pegged at over N60 per kilowatt, it is fair to say that running any electricity-dependent business in Nigeria isn't cheap!

Freelance writing is one of such electricity-dependent businesses, as your phone or laptop needs to be charged in order for you to write content.

With the high cost of petrol and electricity in mind, would you say it is fair to receive N2 to N5 per word as payment for writing gigs?

Besides electricity costs, let's not forget that writing is a skill which needs to be fairly compensated for. What about the time, creativity, originality, and energy you invested into crafting these writings?

Is such a low pay-rate good enough?

To make matters worse, many clients insist that they pay you after you have delivered the service. And in some cases, many abscond with your money.

Oh, and how can we forget the 1,000 word MS-Word document they send to you that's filled with all sorts of instructions that only a robot can remember!

E.g Use this link 3 times between here and here, use this anchor and let it flow naturally where and where, do not write in Bleep, do not speak in bla bla bla, and so on and so forth, you must have Grammarly Premium, you must use copyscape, you must know this and that, and you must not hee hee ha ha hoo hoo!

Being specific about how an article should be is very good, I support that. But is N2 to N5 per word fair compensation for all this trouble?

It certainly isn't.

That being said, I wonder why many writers on Nairaland still accept N2 to N5 per word for writing gigs?

Is it that they don't know they can earn much better for their hard and honest work?

I won't lie, I've been there before. During the early stages of my writing career, I used to take N1 per word, then I later moved up to N2, then N5.

The more I demanded of myself, and the more I appreciated my skill, the higher I charged. Many of my clients left me because I began charging high, and I started calling out their B.S for paying me so low yet bossing me around like a slave.

I've quarreled with many and left them. Some have even called me all sorts of names, thinking I would die of hunger since we were no longer working together.

Far from it, as I have discovered the secret to really earning good money from your writings, and I am now raking in as much as N30,000 for a 1,000 word article.

I am also currently on several retainers from news and media companies that pay me handsomely every week and month.

All this wouldn't have happened for me if I didn't realize that my skills were worth more than a N2 to N5 per word pay-rate.

In fact, I feel cheated anytime I remember writing for such peanuts once upon a time.

You too can earn better with your writing skills, but you need to be brave enough to reject peanuts, even if you're hungry!

It won't be easy at the beginning, but it'll be worth it at the end. Find another hustle if need be while you build your brand as a professional writer.

Don't let a client think he or she is doing you a favor with their N2 per word offers. On the contrary, you are the one doing them favors, because they need those articles more than you need their N2!

In conclusion, I'd summarize by saying - Find your favorite niche, establish yourself as an expert in that niche, and find high net-worth individuals and businesses that need your writing skills in that very niche.

It worked for me, and it can work for you.

Good luck guys!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? by olaleke1(m): 7:55am On Jul 27, 2022
See? You see this?

This....this IS the most truthful article I've ever read on Nairaland, and in a long time

Seriously, those guys don't rate writers. But the inability of getting foreign clients that pay well makes us accept such peanuts...

This is also true when one only has ONE source of income, and nothing else....

No degree or certificate to get any decent job....yet, have a family to fend for....

But this is a strong case. We deserve more than 5 bucks per word for articles....

However, in the scheme of things, one has no choice than to manage what's on ground until one breaks the barrier through to the foreign market...

It is well....

3 Likes

Re: Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? by New007: 8:06am On Jul 27, 2022
Thank you OP for this write up. It's been a journey for me too. N2 to N5 per word doesn't cut it anymore. It's a habit many can't stop occasioned by the tough economic climate.

2 Likes

Re: Writers, Why Do You Still Accept N2 To N5 Per Word For Writing Gigs? by Revamp20: 9:58am On Jul 27, 2022
Writers are underrated! Many clients sustains the thought pattern of "I'm doing you a favor" each time they give out a gig.

It's funny how many people think writing is easy until they have an ordinary letter to write

They give crzy comments, terms and deadlines and some even claim they can do a better job if chanced.

My personal experience trying to land writing gigs have not been palatable.

I've reverted back to writing for fun and personal pleasure

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Writer Asap / Five Simple Tips For Proofreading Your Work / The Single Reason Why Many Don't Write

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.