Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? (20136 Views)

Is ASUU Still Gonna Strike Today? / Good Evening People, Pls When Is ASUU Meeting Holding??? / Is ASUU Really Fighting For Us? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by felong(m): 12:27pm On Jul 27, 2022
seunmsg:

What do you think is the solution to the unending ASUU strikes?
ASUU should be dissolved and all public universities should become independent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by KazikageSama: 8:15pm On Jul 27, 2022
No really surprised by these types of posts anymore on Nairaland. Seun has made his views obviously clear and he's doing his bit trying to sponsor them.

1 Like

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by backnbeta(f): 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2022
The whole thing is tiring, even for us undecided
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by staga: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2022
Nazgul:
Are they fighting for their selfish interests or that of the students?

Personally, I don’t get seduced by the facade of fighting the government every time in the name of strike and people will willingly pull their strides behind ASUU. It doesn’t always move me. I want to ask the question; is ASUU really fighting for the well-being of the students, or are they using the fact that Nigeria is a failed government to clone as a facade to pursue their selfish interests, because they know that people will always fall behind them?

If ASUU is fighting for the welfare of the students, why won’t they also consider the welfare of the students and return to school? Why are they so comfortable that our students are at home since February, 2022 up till now? That is a period of 5 months and they are not even ready to move.

They don’t even care. As for me, I don’t support the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) joining ASUU in the strike. If ASUU is fighting for the welfare of the students, and they want us to believe that they have no ulterior motive, why haven’t they come out with their templates and convince Nigerians of their demands? Have they explained to the students exactly what they are fighting for and how it will benefit the students when granted?

During my days as a student, up till now, ASUU have always gone on strike and part of their demands have always been met, but I have never seen any significant improvement in the services they render to the students. The lecturers still trade sex for marks, they still sell books, handouts and collect inducements before a student passes their courses. And most importantly, they have not improved their teaching modules to enhance the education they offer.

So, how exactly is their protest in the interest of the students?

I want to know, and would be glad if anyone can help me out.

Cc. Mynd44, lalasticalala Dominique Seun.

You have no idea of the issues.
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Adaidemili: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2022

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by staga: 8:17pm On Jul 27, 2022
felong:

ASUU should be dissolved and all public universities should become independent.

Are you ready to pay N1m and above in fees to replace the government funding?

Some of you make comments that are not properly thought out.

7 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by MagnoIia(f): 8:18pm On Jul 27, 2022
Paulheyman:
If you can't afford a private university, ASUU is fighting for you.

If you're a hater of covenant, Madonna, landmark, KDUM, Tansian and other high fee universities then ASUU is fighting for you.

If you still want your children to benefit from good academics then ASUU is fighting for you.

If you still want your certificate to be valid and used to process your documents to Japa out of this country then ASUU is fighting for you (Remember Abia state polytechnic).

If you want to see Nigeria progress then ASUU is fighting for you.

The university is the last of our public school system left to be conquered by the political elites. They came for the primary schools we applauded them, after all primary education doesn't matter, private primary schools can do the job, then they came for the secondary education, we still left them to destroy it, the effect is examination malpractice. Lastly, they are targeting the peak of our education and people are blaming the defenders and not the offenders. If the government destroys our public universities then education will only be limited to the elites and those who intend to leave naija using their certificates will be stock cos your certificate won't be acceptable in any country.

Confucius said "when workers are paid well they're motivated to work well"

How much do you pay primary school teachers, how much do you pay secondary school teachers. You pay a teacher #10k in private school and you expect him to do wonders.

Those backing the government don't know that they are promoting illiteracy and backwardness. Most countries don't value our certificates. I wonder want becomes of you after studying medicine, nursings, engineering, physics, chemistry etc and you are told that your certificate is not recognize abroad then you'll understand what you've opted to defend. What of those doing PhD and MSc just to finish and be informed that you can't go beyond Nigeria with your PG certificate. God forbid

If ASUU perish we all perish

Stay blessed

you're such a daft fellow

2 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Regladoj: 8:19pm On Jul 27, 2022
Paulheyman:

If you're a hater of covenant, Madonna, landmark, KDUM, Tansian and other high fee universities then ASUU is fighting for you.

If you still want your children to benefit from good academics then ASUU is fighting for you.

If you still want your certificate to be valid and used to process your documents to Japa out of this country then ASUU is fighting for you (Remember Abia state polytechnic).

The university is the last of our public school system left to be conquered by the political elites. They came for the primary schools we applauded them, after all primary education doesn't matter, private primary schools can do the job, then they came for the secondary education, we still left them to destroy it, the effect is examination malpractice. Lastly, they are targeting the peak of our education and people are blaming the defenders and not the offenders. If the government destroys our public universities then education will only be limited to the elites and those who intend to leave naija using their certificates will be stock cos your certificate won't be acceptable in any country.

How much do you pay primary school teachers, how much do you pay secondary school teachers. You pay a teacher #10k in private school and you expect him to do wonders.

Those backing the government don't know that they are promoting illiteracy and backwardness. Most countries don't value our certificates. I wonder want becomes of you after studying medicine, nursings, engineering, physics, chemistry etc and you are told that your certificate is not recognize abroad then you'll understand what you've opted to defend. What of those doing PhD and MSc just to finish and be informed that you can't go beyond Nigeria with your PG certificate. God forbid

Stay blessed

thank you for this God bless you

1 Like

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by MagnoIia(f): 8:20pm On Jul 27, 2022
seunmsg:

The current system of FG subsidizing University education is not sustainable. Parents must brace up and be willing to pay what’s commensurate for educating their kids. FG can also put in place a bursary award and student loan system to support indigent students.
you're q foolish illiterate for this rubbish comment.
No wonder why you support Tinubu

2 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by BabaO2: 8:20pm On Jul 27, 2022
ASUU are so irresponsible greedy set of people, a competent president would have flushed them out and employ new set of lecturers from private sectors as part-time lecturers, foreigners both from African countries and western word countries.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Hueyreckless0007: 8:21pm On Jul 27, 2022
Personally, I don’t really understand why people are backing ASUU.

ASUU are fighting for ASUU (their pockets) not for the Nigerian students.

During my undergraduate days, we witnessed series of strikes, the government settled them on several occasions but students still sat on bare floor just to attend lectures.

Greedy set of people.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by ThatFairGuy1: 8:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
If tertiary institution wasn't subsidized, would you have had it easy going to school angry

You've arrived, those who haven't should die.

Those commoners who won't be able to afford it should be denied education?

Nonsense talk.
seunmsg:
Nobody is fighting for anybody in this country. Everyone is fighting for his or her interest. ASUU will always be a problem irrespective of who is president or which party is in office.

There are only two solutions to the ASUU problem:
1. FG should completely stop funding university education. Parents should be made to pay what is commensurate for the university education they want for their kids.

2. Government should scrap National ASUU completely. Each university should have an independent union to address local issues peculiar only to the university. Even if it’s going to take prolong strike and mass sacking to achieve this, it is worth the trouble.

There is no easy solution to the ASUU problem. FG need to make a tough, painful and firm decision on the union. Pandering to the union every time by signing crazy agreements that can’t be implemented has never worked and will never worked. It’s better to disrupt the system once and for all.
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Franklyspeakin: 8:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
ASUU chairman prof osadekes child attends a federal university
khadaffi:
I'll drop my comment. Let me cough first

Edit
This issue had been previously overflogged here on NL. I think around 2010 or 2011, before that NL crash .

ASUU is another political organisation. I pity for any silly student that joins ASUU in castigating the government. I graduated in 2007 and before I graduated, every strike ASUU engaged in they kept saying they were fighting for student. And my questions has always been how? See I know my position is not the popular one but if we all sit down and apply common sense you will see the sense in what I'm saying. Now ask yourself, how many of these top ASUU chairman kids attends schools in Nigeria. If we are saying our leaders destroyed the country ASUU are among the leaders destroying Nigeria and the earlier Nigerians realise this the better. A Professor is a Nigerian leader, A VC is a Nigerian leader, etc

Now here is the crux of the matter. There is no reason why any of these civil servants (Doctors, teachers, journalists, Police, Army) should go on strike, I repeat no reason. In Nigeria however we have seen doctors going on strike abandoning patients who might even be on life support to die simply because government did not pay them enough. How crazy does that sound. It is also the same madness that has continually occurred in the teaching profession. Now I'm not holding brief for government. Nigerian government has been useless over the years to say the least. There is no civil servant that will tell you today that he/she is satisfied with what the government has done in their agency and praise the government. But how many of them do you see engaging frequently on strike? I want to use the Nigerian Army in this regard as a case study. These guys has never gone on strike even when it was clear that government bought fake bullet proof and all manner of nonsense that have been meted out on them. These guys are still on the job. It is not easy. It's not easy for anyone in this country and the least we would expect from unions is to alleviate or reduce the problem of the common man. My own humble submission is for government to either scrap the Union(ASUU) or they could make it in a manner that joining ASUU should not be mandatory. Rather there should be two or three recognised union where every staff can choose to join any and choose who and when you will pay your dues. The dues should not be automatic deduction from your salary. The Union are thieves and if NANS was still a credible union it should have engaged them seriously.

I expect to be insulted for this opinion though
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by ThatFairGuy1: 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Please don't generalize it, not all Tinubu supporters are MEAN/WICKED or unreasonable
MagnoIia:
you're q foolish illiterate for this rubbish comment.
No wonder why you support Tinubu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Sunnyski: 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2022
FalseProphet1:
By 2023 there would no longer be universities and polytechnics in Nigeria.

This I have seen.

Will there even be nightgeria
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Judolisco(m): 8:25pm On Jul 27, 2022
Nazgul:

Personally, I don’t get seduced by the facade of fighting the government every time in the name of strike and people will willingly pull their strides behind ASUU. It doesn’t always move me. I want to ask the question; is ASUU really fighting for the well-being of the students, or are they using the fact that Nigeria is a failed government to clone as a facade to pursue their selfish interests, because they know that people will always fall behind them?

If ASUU is fighting for the welfare of the students, why won’t they also consider the welfare of the students and return to school? Why are they so comfortable that our students are at home since February, 2022 up till now? That is a period of 5 months and they are not even ready to move.

They don’t even care. As for me, I don’t support the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) joining ASUU in the strike. If ASUU is fighting for the welfare of the students, and they want us to believe that they have no ulterior motive, why haven’t they come out with their templates and convince Nigerians of their demands? Have they explained to the students exactly what they are fighting for and how it will benefit the students when granted?

During my days as a student, up till now, ASUU have always gone on strike and part of their demands have always been met, but I have never seen any significant improvement in the services they render to the students. The lecturers still trade sex for marks, they still sell books, handouts and collect inducements before a student passes their courses. And most importantly, they have not improved their teaching modules to enhance the education they offer.

when the students are ready they'll fight for themselves.. What are the various SUGs and NANs doing about the strike... If u claim ASUU is fighting for their own pocket then d students 2 should fight for their own interest by coming out massively to protest... Nothing in d life comes easy... ALUTA CONTINUA

1 Like

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Ibegtodiffer: 8:27pm On Jul 27, 2022
Wer
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Stablefollowers(f): 8:29pm On Jul 27, 2022
It's getting tiresome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by RepoMan007: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
Nazgul:

One man stole over a hundred billion so don't expect intellectuals not to seek their own personal interest. They are mostly sadist lecturers.

1 Like

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by MT: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
In simple English, themselves using the students as shields

4 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by Goldeno(m): 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
OP you are on point.
I too will like to know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by blackboy(m): 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
Oga, leave story. Let FG pay ASUU and give them UTAS.
Agreement is agreement.

They monies stolen by govt officials and corruption is small compared to what ASUU is asking for.

Instead of you to tell FG to pay ASUU you come up with this BS!

If our politicians blood children were in Nigerian Universities ASUU would have been paid and not ignored. Our government does not care about its ppl. Look around you at all that is happening.

I support ASUU. Agreemet is agreement!!

2 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by WatchYourSix: 8:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
mrvitalis:

Who's interest are you writing this crap

Lol...all of una just dey para...
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by PJ123: 8:32pm On Jul 27, 2022
Paulheyman:

Stay blessed

Stop saying nonsense please. ASUU is fighting for his selfish interest.
If not that we have useless corrupt government officials, you cannot leave your job for more than 5 months and still expected to be paid.
Unfortunately, ASUU is still among the most privileged people in Nigeria.
ASUU out of their selfsh interest increased retirement age from 65 to 70 through the instrumentality of strike in a country where more than 70% of the population is youth with gross unemployment. What a useless union.

Its only in Nigeria use the dean's of faculties having 2 official cars and vice chancellors living like a king.
Dean's of faculties and vice chancellors I have been privileged to meet in better countries drive themselves with nothing like official car.
Unfortunately, the useless people want to be as corrupt as politicians.
University education is over subsidized in Nigeria. You pay more 700, 000 per annum as school fees in just south Africa.
The solution is simple, let the university education be deregulated and each university determines what it will pay each lecturer, and the students should pay actual cost of university education. Government should provide scholarships to indigent students with GP of 2:2 and above, while students below that but indigent should be placed on interest free loans.

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by onyxo76(m): 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2022
BabaO2:
ASUU are so irresponsible greedy set of people, a competent president would have flushed them out and employ new set of lecturers from private sectors as part-time lecturers, foreigners both from African countries and western word countries.
forget about the foreign lecturers, you can't afford them, you will need to pay them what they get in their respective countries in order to get them to come here to teach, that was quite possible in the 60s to early 80s when our currency was very strong. but if you think you will pay a prof from Harvard University what you pay a Nigerian prof then forget it.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by PJ123: 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2022
seunmsg:
Nobody is fighting for anybody in this country. Everyone is fighting for his or her interest. ASUU will always be a problem irrespective of who is president or which party is in office.

There are only two solutions to the ASUU problem:
1. FG should completely stop funding university education. Parents should be made to pay what is commensurate for the university education they want for their kids.

2. Government should scrap National ASUU completely. Each university should have an independent union to address local issues peculiar only to the university. Even if it’s going to take prolong strike and mass sacking to achieve this, it is worth the trouble.

There is no easy solution to the ASUU problem. FG need to make a tough, painful and firm decision on the union. Pandering to the union every time by signing crazy agreements that can’t be implemented has never worked and will never worked. It’s better to disrupt the system once and for all.
God bless you!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by MagnoIia(f): 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2022
ThatFairGuy1:
Please don't generalize it, not all Tinubu supporters are MEAN/WICKED or unreasonable
thank God you realized that comment of his is so unreasonable
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by NwaMamaIwota(f): 8:34pm On Jul 27, 2022
ThatFairGuy1:
my sweetheart how are you kiss
Re: Who Is ASUU Really Fighting For? by kingmsookwagh(m): 8:35pm On Jul 27, 2022
Of All their demands, non is directed towards the interest of the student. It is either on UTAS and payment of arrears.

Later they will resume and start carrying their shoulders up like it's their personal school.

I go kill that lecturer. Walahi!!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

BREAKING: School Building Collapses In Jos, Several Pupils Feared Dead. / Vice Chancellors’ Wives Plan Turkey Trip Amid ASUU Strike / Unizik Denies Fixing Exams To Collide With Biafra Day Sit-at-home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.