Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,984 members, 7,799,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:38 PM

Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 (20799 Views)

Russia Orders Troops To Withdraw From Kherson City / Russians Ask Putin To Withdraw From Ukraine On Live TV / Ukraine: Sanctions May Cause Space Station To Crash - Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Shascky33: 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia has said it will withdraw from the International Space Station (ISS) after 2024 to focus on building its own orbital outpost.

Yuri Borisov, who was appointed to lead the state-controlled space corporation Roscosmos earlier this month, said during a meeting with President Vladimir Putin that Russia would fulfil its obligations to other partners before it leaves the project.

Mr Borisov said, "the decision to leave the station after 2024 has been made".

The US, however, says no such move has been communicated to NASA - amid continued tensions between Moscow and the West over the war in Ukraine.

White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters during a briefing on Tuesday: "The government has not formally notified the United States of their intentions to withdraw from the ISS.

"We're exploring options to mitigate the potential impacts on the ISS beyond 2024 if Russia does withdraw."

In April, Mr Borisov's predecessor, Dmitry Rogozin, said Russia would halt co-operation on the ISS in response to the sanctions imposed on Russia over the invasion of Ukraine.

He argued the sanctions were designed "to kill the Russian economy, plunge our people into despair and hunger, and bring our country to its knees" and said normal relations could only be restored with the unconditional lifting of the "illegal" measures.

WHY RUSSIA WANTS OUT OF THE ISS MISSION

Russia has signalled for a while that it wants out of the International Space Station after 2024 but Russia’s new geopolitical isolation has clearly crystallised its intention to cut loose.

Russia was never as engaged with the ISS from a scientific point of view as Europe or the US were. For starters, the US had substantially more scientific equipment on board than the Russians ever did. Being a part of the ISS for Russia was primarily a matter of prestige, not science.

Russian aerospace company RSC Energia is already making bullish statements that the new Russian orbital station will launch as soon as 2028. Sanctions will complicate but not imperil the project; the Russians will find workarounds.

As for Vladimir Putin, space is just one more dimension to the great power status he craves. He is more interested in building rockets and securing independent access to space to position his military satellites than he is in the research dimensions the ISS was built to facilitate.

Still, NASA says Roscosmos remains a good partner. Between now and 2024 there will be a significant transfer of expertise required - that cooperation will need to stay strong.

https://news.sky.com/story/russia-to-withdraw-international-space-station-after-2024-12659444

11 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by sofeo(m): 2:51pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia has her own advantages though, mutual communication and understanding would have easily halted the war, this speaks a lot about the level of maturity and wisdom these so called leaders possess.

This is where Obama or Trump Triumph.

It will definitely be well.

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Fkmodhi: 2:52pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia is still waxing stronger.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by STEWpid(f): 3:21pm On Jul 27, 2022
Chai

Thank God we will use that opportunity to launch our own.

We are the Giant of Africa!

8 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by iamyemiakins(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2022
With this step, Russia is cooking another vawulence.

Biden go don dey analyze am like that

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by PrinceMajestic: 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2022
Donbass Region already liberated, military operation goals extended to southern Ukraine with success already been recorded in Kharkiv, Odessa, mykolav. Gas supplies to Terrorists Europe been cut off to 20% capacity, Europeans are pissing on their pants ahead of winter, zelensky crying and accusing all Ukrainian security agencies of working with Russia after sacking the head of Ukraine state security and Ukraine prosecutor general, Ukrainian troops morale low, fooling the Terrorists with grain deal, western weapons destroyed, 2nd power plant about to be ceased yet the bitch baby nazi Terrorist still crying for weapon even though Ukraine is virtually finished from Russian shelling. Russia the first country to send a human into space and others learnt from them, the country is great and ruling the world undoubtedly. Where are the idiots who are helping Terrorists Nazis to cry Russia losing? Victory to Russian federation, God bless President Vladimir Putin and the Russian Federation, God bless his brother Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus, God bless the chenchen fighters and our newly liberated republics of Donetsk and Lughansk, God bless my Naija

127 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Onigawara(m): 3:22pm On Jul 27, 2022
Finally. Russia is, gonna withdraw from ISS and then build their OWN space station. Long overdue. The Russians have finally woken up to the reality that the west is anti Russian. They never loved mother russia. And now russia should continue making those moves that would make them even more self sufficient.

God bless mother Russia
God bless Vladimir Putin. My mentor

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by xevove2061: 3:23pm On Jul 27, 2022
Mother Russia dey give am to them wotorwotor grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Lovenorth: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
I so much like this Putin and lovely Russian federation

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by ajailer(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia won't be missed.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by BrodaAgbaya: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Cheers to the Mother bear.

I remember when the war started and how i was always arguing with my colleagues and bosses who said Russia will see pepper and their economy will crumble.
Some said Russia will pull out in no time and even pay for the repair of Ukraine. LMAOOOO

Today, they all keep quiet like they ain`t seeing Russia show US and Europe that same pepper, sanctions my slightly dark, hairy booty.

I have always loved Putin, my mentor and strong man. I had plans of joining the military, rising tru the ranks and taking over the country then leading it to real greatness on the African continent not the fake African giantism that the current C -in-C and his fellow urchins have degraded the country to.

Unfortunately i ended up in the bank making some 6million annually with broken dreams banging around in my head each time my boss makes me get up from my system.

Sad

70 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by SatanKeepOff: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Power is good. Russia is in a war with Ukraine, Ukraine cant cough, Russia are about their normal business. who advised Ukraine? God have mercy

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by DukeNija(m): 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia further isolates herself from the west with this bullish decision to leave the ISS.
Although their relevance in the ISS is fast becoming extinct via a vis the space research projects, but by aligning with the west they further strengthen cooperative efforts on other fronts.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by donaldking100: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2022
E go shock them.
Just like Obis' withdrawal shocked the whole of P.D.P.
A stupid mod banned my other account for being OBIdient, but i just remembered the password to my 2nd account.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by datola: 3:26pm On Jul 27, 2022
R
Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Trueprophet91: 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2022
Good move,Russia.
You can't push me and tell me where to fall

BrodaAgbaya:
Cheers to the Mother bear.

I remember when the war started and how i was always arguing with my colleagues and bosses who said Russia will see pepper and their economy will crumble.
Some said Russia will pull out in no time and even pay for the repair of Ukraine. LMAOOOO

Today, they all keep quiet like they ain`t seeing Russia show US and Europe that same pepper, sanctions my slightly dark, hairy booty.

I have always loved Putin, my mentor and strong man. I had plans of joining the military, rising tru the ranks and taking over the country then leading it to real greatness on the African continent not the fake African giantism that the current C -in-C and his fellow urchins have degraded the country to.

Unfortunately i ended up in the bank making some 6million annually with broken dreams banging around in my head each time my boss makes me get up from my system.

Sad
angry
Don't give up, it's not late yet

8 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by ogatboy(m): 3:27pm On Jul 27, 2022
Russia is sinking trying to show strength. By the time the full effect hit them, they will be irrelevant like Iran. Already the world does not take them serious because their military has been bull shitted. They were supposed to take Ukraine within 3 days but now its almost 3 months. The effect on the economy is just about to start. Once Europe looks for alternative to gas supply which is one of their biggest source of revenue, they will die naturally.

China is the only strategic partner they have and I am sure China will not want to loose international relevance so they will tread carefully.

Another acclaimed super power (Russia) to the bin

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Alexaonfleek: 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2022
STEWpid:
Chai

Which dirty giant of Africa?
The vegetable in aso rock is enough to classify us as ants of Africa

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by lytech1(m): 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2022
bepositive11:
I will never understand people like you. Putin is your mentor?? Why?? Because he's killing thousands of Ukrainians and breaking millions of Ukrainian families apart?? undecided If the devil was a man, he would be Putin. That man is evil and heartless as f*ck.

He is evil because he was trying to protect the future of his dear country.....

9 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Sensiblerealist: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2022
Securing unhindered personal gateway to space is Russia's utmost priority.
They want to use it for defence or offence purposes

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by SatanKeepOff: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2022
We are Giant with Bokoharam
STEWpid:
Chai

2 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Chiedu4Trump: 3:29pm On Jul 27, 2022
Buhari will soon come & tell us how he plans to send cows to space.

5 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Omonda(m): 3:30pm On Jul 27, 2022
SatanKeepOff:
Power is good. Russia is in a war with Ukraine, Ukraine cant cough, Russia are about their normal business. who advised Ukraine? God have mercy

Think about your country. Even in the midst of war, they are better than us. Nigeria law school has been deserted now, education is not working. Just tell me what is working in Nigeria

13 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Lovenorth: 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
ogatboy:
Russia is sinking trying to show strength. By the time the full effect hit them, they will be irrelevant like Iran. Already the world does not take them serious because their military has been bull shitted. They were supposed to take Ukraine within 3 days but now its almost 3 months. The effect on the economy is just about to start. Once Europe looks for alternative to gas supply which is one of their biggest source of revenue, they will die naturally.

China is the only strategic partner they have and I am sure China will not want to loose international relevance so they will tread carefully.

Cry me a river grin

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by naijapikin2(m): 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2022
Nigeria should replace them..... Ehn!... We will just chop the money for space fuel.. by the time we are they.. they will discover fuel is only for one way.. then the team is stuck there in space. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by BrodaAgbaya: 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2022
ogatboy:

Trash talk, Russia is stronger than ever.

Who said they wanted to take Ukraine in 3 days, funny talks like the comedian president they have destroying his home so he can play with some US balls

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Joshmoore(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2022
Tinubu urchins go still support even though them no understand
Re: Russia To Withdraw From International Space Station After 2024 by Udemzy05: 3:36pm On Jul 27, 2022
SatanKeepOff:

You live in Russia?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Violence Ahead Of Cameroon’s Presidential Election, As 25,000 Flee To Nigeria / Burkina Faso’s Junta Slams Indefinite Ban On Radio Station Over Niger / Key Moments During The Reign Of Queen Elizabeth II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.