Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,752 members, 7,802,308 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) (68019 Views)

You Remember The NTA Ladies Of The 1970-90s? / Jagua: Do You Remember This Late Actor? / This Nigerian Advert From The 80s Will Either Make You Cry Or Laugh (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Owopariola001: 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2022
9jaolori:
Twas 2naira per pack of 4
This was in the late 90s. Most of the characters are still alive.
This just shows how bad this country as always being ruled
A very sad thing for the naira

It was early to mid-90s.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by naptu2: 4:46pm On Aug 02, 2022
azpekuliar:
I remember the ad. It was in the early '90s. It was one of the earliest efforts to fight a then silent but growing AIDS problem in Nigeria. Then Nigerians were still in denial about AIDS. AIDS was mockingly called an American Invention to Discourage Sex so behaviours towards casual sex did not change much as a result of this ad. It took the death of Fela for behaviours to begin to change. Infact I am looking for one of the earliest public health documentaries on AIDS in Nigeria which featured Dr. Olikoye Ransome-Kuti and aired on NTA back then. It used to send shivers down my spine grin Maybe Naptu2 can help me in that regard.

naptu2:

Back in the day, before the first case of AIDS was actually detected in Nigeria, the authorities used fear mongering in their AIDS campaigns. The AIDS symbol featured a skull and cross bones. It was so terrifying that you'd think that you already had AIDS, even though there was no confirmed case in Nigeria. The documentaries that you wrote about featured people that were emaciated and were like walking skeletons.

Then one evening in 1986, Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti announced (on the Network News) the detection of the first case of AIDS in Nigeria. It was quite scary.

It was around this time that some foreign and domestic NGOs were running campaigns (in conjunction with government) about family planning and so they just incorporated the AIDS theme into their campaign.

The first condom advert was for Right Time Condom. It featured a man who knocked on glass and announced, "I have now decided. . .".

Right Time Condom was made by the Society For Family Health. Most people thought that the advert was funny, but some people complained about it. They wondered how condom and sanitary pad adverts could be shown on TV (Always had also just started advertising at that time).

I don't know what happened to Right Time Condom, but it disappeared and Gold Circle Condom appeared. It was also made by the Society for Family Health. I think this was its first advert.

In the late 1990s or early 2000s, health experts decided that fear mongering was not working and that it was stigmatising people living with HIV/AIDS. The scary documentaries stopped and the AIDS symbol was changed from the skull and crossbones to the ribbon below.

Something like this, but the symbol that was usually shown on the NTA had skull and crossbones and the word AIDS in bold red letters underneath.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Tochj(m): 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2022
Who get this raincoat?
Abeg na me o.
Hmm I don de old.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Caseless: 4:47pm On Aug 02, 2022
See ayo mogaji sef. Lol. I remember.

It's still the same price though.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by hrykanu231(m): 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2022
TooNoisy:
Obidients are not old enough to know this adverts. Its the very young and gullible Pitobi can deceive.

Are the older ones not suffering insecurity? Are they exempted from the poor economy?

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Caseless: 4:48pm On Aug 02, 2022
LollySeaSide:

If you ask me, I'd say it's FP worthy.
That advert was created in the 90s and has no erotic acts, no form of nudity, no sexually suggestive content even though it's a condom advert.

Can you say that of adverts in today's times?
Go to YouTube and take a look at what they call "Best condom commercials of all time" and see what I'm talking about.
As you watch, keep in mind that those commercials are a collection of the most decent condom commercials.

Anyway, you didn't ask me so I didn't say anything.
2000s
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Godmademan(m): 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2022
dalass:
angry

Imagine that on front page? shocked

But they sold this thing #2.00 then. Chaiii grin
How much is a pack of Cum-Done now
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Owopariola001: 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2022
leonidas93:
You can imagine.. gold cirlce even sold for 2 naira. Can naira ever be equal to dollar in this life again cry

Meanwhile, I have very clean uk used hp Ellitebook 840 for sale at good rate just check my profile.
intel corei7, 2.9ghz processor, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, keyboard light, 5hrs battery life, original charger, finger print sensor,
4usb port, type c, hdmi, sim slot, etc
14 inches and in perfect working condition.

How much? And where is your location?
Pictures also.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by NigeriaIsGreat: 4:50pm On Aug 02, 2022
kalvoken:

And at the end you will eat agbado and cassava. For uow long? I just hope you can keep up.
it is better to eat Agbado and live in harmony, peace, love and respect for everyone than for me to live in mansion and be resentful, bitterness, hatred, and feel superior to other tribes/ethnic groups

Love is very key and important

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by seunlayi(m): 4:52pm On Aug 02, 2022
dalass:
angry

Imagine that on front page? shocked

But they sold this thing #2.00 then. Chaiii grin

No bro, I do buy it 50k (Kobo) per pack

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by AyomideOG01: 4:54pm On Aug 02, 2022
TooNoisy:
Obidients are not old enough to know this adverts. Its the very young and gullible Pitobi can deceive.

The young are gullible yet you people that are old and wise with ur coconut heads allowed these thieves to be looting Nigeria to oblivion since independence. Una cup done full this time cos we the youths have decided to take back our country and get it working again. We will retire all those old thieves you guys have been rewarding with your votes for destroying this country.

#Peter Obi
#Labour party 2023

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by kay29000(m): 4:54pm On Aug 02, 2022
MyAmericandream:
I remembered I asked my dad what they use thing for then.. Hmmm

What was his answer? grin
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by mkoabiola: 4:55pm On Aug 02, 2022
It was even N2.00 then
Chai

D country don jagajaga
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by mkoabiola: 4:56pm On Aug 02, 2022
Ayo mogaji was in d ads

How time flies
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Sambaby7640: 4:56pm On Aug 02, 2022
RichDad1:
Nostalgia
FP hustler
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Sambaby7640: 4:58pm On Aug 02, 2022
Pepperoniq:
Chai... See life... Good circle no dey reign again.. No quality again . E no dey fit size gbola again���. .. Other better condom don overtake
which one you dey use?
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Skoopy(m): 5:00pm On Aug 02, 2022
Chiedu4Trump:
If I could go back in time,I'd give it to Buhari's parents

Imagine the number of lives that would be saved

Bomb
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Bmaster(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2022
meobizy:
Everybody is a millionaire in their dreams.
Ok
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by magictonic(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2022
TooNoisy:

I am obidient.
I know that advert very well
I was in Secondary school when it was the rave of the moment

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by kay29000(m): 5:01pm On Aug 02, 2022
naptu2:

Back in the day, before the first case of AIDS was actually detected in Nigeria, the authorities used fear mongering in their AIDS campaigns. The AIDS symbol featured a skull and cross bones. It was so terrifying that you'd think that you already had AIDS, even though there was no confirmed case in Nigeria. The documentaries that you wrote about featured people that were emaciated and were like walking skeletons.

Then one evening in 1986, Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti announced (on the Network News) the detection of the first case of AIDS in Nigeria. It was quite scary.

It was around this time that some foreign and domestic NGOs were running campaigns (in conjunction with government) about family planning and so they just incorporated the AIDS theme into their campaign.

The first condom advert was for Right Time Condom. It featured a man who knocked on glass and announced, "I have now decided. . .".

Right Time Condom was made by the Society For Family Health. Most people thought that the advert was funny, but some people complained about it. They wondered how condom and sanitary pad adverts could be shown on TV (Always had also just started advertising at that time).

I don't know what happened to Right Time Condom, but it disappeared and Gold Circle Condom appeared. It was also made by the Society for Family Health. I think this was its first advert.

In the late 1990s or early 2000s, health experts decided that fear mongering was not working and that it was stigmatising people living with HIV/AIDS. The scary documentaries stopped and the AIDS symbol was changed from the skull and crossbones to the ribbon below.

Wow! Memories. I remember Right Time condom.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by vikstandon(m): 5:02pm On Aug 02, 2022
Na #2 for pack of 4 that year o... But now e don cost.
Which way Nigeria... Even tool for sex e dey cost.
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by taretoofine(m): 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2022
ayo mogaji that year

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Arysexy(m): 5:07pm On Aug 02, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
You are the mouth piece of the so called many Nigerians right? Anyway, illusion is allowed

2023 go clear for your eye.

Hunger and harsh economy affecting the whole Nation will be a deciding factor.

You can vote for thieves and start begging tomorrow, for us that are tired of the status quo, we are voting right
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by NigeriaIsGreat: 5:08pm On Aug 02, 2022
Arysexy:

2023 go clear for your eye.

Hunger and harsh economy affecting the whole Nation will be a deciding factor.

You can vote for thieves and start begging tomorrow, for us that are tired of the status quo, we are voting right
Gliberdash. Has Obi end Hunger and harsh economy in Anambra?
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Enskynelson(m): 5:09pm On Aug 02, 2022
TooNoisy:
FORTUNATELY, they constitute the greatest percent of the total registered voters.

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Arysexy(m): 5:12pm On Aug 02, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Gliberdash. Has Obi end Hunger and harsh economy in Anambra?

Obi left Anambra govt years ago. Go verify, he remains the best Governor since the state was created in 1991
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by dalass(f): 5:13pm On Aug 02, 2022
seunlayi:

No bro, I do buy it 50k (Kobo) per pack

50kobo? shocked

Chaii grin
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Characta(m): 5:14pm On Aug 02, 2022
Gold circle been sold for #2.00. Nawa ooo now it's #200.00
Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by happney65: 5:15pm On Aug 02, 2022
BitmapStudios:
Happney65, egbon, they have brought your delicacy sir.

cool

Brother mi ooo, Won gbe oun ti mo mo je de..

Ahahahahahahahaa... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by Sijo01(f): 5:17pm On Aug 02, 2022
First time I'm seeing it o.

Wait, did I just see N2 per pack of 4 shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Do You Remember This Old Nigerian Advert? (Video) by ikemesit4477: 5:21pm On Aug 02, 2022
Maybe I was born then but I don't know when the advert was aired, I have not watch it before!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. / Elderly Woman Participates In BBNaija Calabar Auditions, See Reactions / The Moment Bisola Discovered Thin Tall Tony Is Married (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.