Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? (11450 Views)

China Plans Investments In Cross River / Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by elsirich: 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2007
@ all the stock guru's

please can u explain how the redenomination of our naira will affect us ans our stock investments also if we should buy before or after it
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Seun(m): 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2007
It will have no real effect on the value of your investments, but it will definitely cause a lot of confusion.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by RoughCut(m): 1:04pm On Aug 15, 2007
Seun:

It will have no real effect on the value of your investments, but it will definitely cause a lot of confusion.
The first statement is true but i think the second statement is a bit alarmist it will cause confusion only  if the logistics are not properly managed i wouldnt  go as far as saying it would definitely cause a lot of confusion
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by elsirich: 1:29pm On Aug 15, 2007
thanks seun grin grin grin grin
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by otokx(m): 1:39pm On Aug 15, 2007
There will surely be some confusion but no adverse effects.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Seun(m): 7:45pm On Aug 15, 2007
it will cause confusion only if the logistics are not properly managed
Welcome to Nigeria. Put on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. (You seem to be new to this country) cheesy
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by walel: 7:47pm On Aug 15, 2007
So banks that are capitalised at 100billion will now be at 100million? this is so confusing already.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by nicolas: 8:08pm On Aug 15, 2007
walel:

So banks that are capitalised at 100billion will now be at 100million? this is so confusing already.

No banks that are capitalised @ 100 billion naira will now be 1 billion naira
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by KnowAll(m): 8:12pm On Aug 15, 2007
[quote:walel]So banks that are capitalised at 100billion will now be at 100million? this is so confusing already.[quote][/quote]

banks capitalised at 100 billion will be 1 billion. You knock off the two zeros- that is what re-denomination is all about.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Bomi(m): 8:14pm On Aug 15, 2007
Please enlighten on the effect of this reforms on savings and investment in shares
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by KnowAll(m): 8:34pm On Aug 15, 2007
[quote:Bomi]Please enlighten on the effect of this reforms on savings and investment in shares

if u your share is say like example Zenith bank @ N63.00, under d new dispensation it will be 63/100 = 0.63kobo, that will be the new value post redenomination. this is just a narrative of the scenerio.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by madeonline(m): 9:21pm On Aug 15, 2007
Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments?
There would be no negative effect.

There would be no confusion.

The nation would be better for it.

Explanation:
What is being done is redenomination meaning just move the previous value by two decimal places to the left. Meaning if one used to earns 80000.00 naira up till 31 2008, his salary by next month Sept 2008 would be 800 naira.

Old notes wouldbe phased out with the redenominations and 20 new naira note (with strength as present day 2000 naira would emerge) will to-be 5kwould have the same purchasing power as today's five naira.

With massive media campaign, a norm when new naira note is to be the transition would be smooth without any confusion.

By extesnsion, a televsion that used to cost 10000 naira (then it would be old naira) would be equivalent to 100 using new naira notes (ie a bundle of to be/new powerful 20 naira =50pieces). Both old and new notes would be spent concurrently for a given period just as was the case during the last change in naira design.

Finally, the policy would take effect on the cpital market too on 1st sept 2008 and the market value of stocks too as at that day would be devalue by two decimal places to the left across all securities.
That means ABC Bank withmarket price of 50naira as at august 31, would have a mrket price of 50k as at 1 Sept 2001. The listing price of NSE would have been made 1 naira before then (hopefully) all the indices wouldbe rounded off accordingly. That means the new listing price for a new stock to be issue would be 1k.

I do hope I have explained it simply enough. You could post questions on greay areas I would come back to the thread to drop a few more lines!

Lest I forget the nation would be better for it, first the naira would be strongest currency in Africa. Easy conversion rate meaning we would be able to estiomate that a Nigeria earning 50000 per month under old regime would be earning 500 naira/dollars per month under the new regime assuming 1 naira is equivalent to 1 dollar. i guess before then the naira and trhe dollar would be at par , if the current global economic and socio-political situation trend persist!

Cheers!
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Mu(m): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2007
I wonder where that leaves the stocks that currently trade below =N=1. Would they be delisted, forced to do reverse splits, or would they be quoted in decimals?,

Stocks like CHRISTLIB at N0.58, Daily Times etc. I don't think we should write-off these stocks, after all NASCON was 69kobo last year.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Allta(m): 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2007
Looks like I have to be more careful issuing out Cheques post redenomination. Say, I intend to issue a cheque of N150,000 to my broker and then forget to "cancel 2 zeros", men enuf money for the Broker ni ye ke ,

Peace Out!
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by hotchic1(f): 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2007
Seun:

I totally agree with Seun on this issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by bamdil(m): 11:14pm On Aug 15, 2007
I believe that it wont cause much problem, it will only affect the investors rate of calculations. If you invest you will need to be extremely brilliant t calculate it before jumping into the conclusion because you might be wrong in your calculation.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Forfavour(m): 12:44am On Aug 16, 2007
change is only constant thing.

We'll adjust, just a matter of time
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by VC2007(m): 4:25am On Aug 16, 2007
I am not quite sure there is another set of people on this earth that are as blindly optimistic as Nigerians.
My Gawd!!! We are already sounding as if anything that has worked in other countries has ever worked here.

When Babangida came up with SAP, Nigerian sang to high heavens that that was the panacea to all our economic problems. Today , how far?

Honestly this Soludo guy is beginning to register doubts on my mind about his much touted capabilities. Is he not the same CBN helmsman that introduced the 1000 naira note about a year ago or so. Why this sudden reversal of policy.

I just want somebody to tell me that this is the most important and most urgent of all our economic problems right now.
Please let somebody tell me that re-denominating the naira is far more important than providing basic amenities and infrastructures that even less endowed counties of Africa had since taken for granted.

May God help us
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by webemerald(m): 4:41am On Aug 16, 2007
In every economic reform there wil always be losers nd gainers. Im a bit confused,does this mean a stock worth 1000 wil now be worth 100? We need to be enlightened
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by VC2007(m): 5:05am On Aug 16, 2007
webemerald, a stock worth 1000 will be worth 10. Just cancel 2 zeros to get the new deal
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by RoughCut(m): 6:40am On Aug 16, 2007
Seun:

Welcome to Nigeria. Put on your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. (You seem to be new to this country) cheesy

I hope to mate some other third-world countries or is it emerging markets? have done it and world war III did not break out so dont see any reason it should be a peculiar situation in nigeria
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by skipo87(m): 6:56am On Aug 16, 2007
I don't believe that it won't have effect.
agreed it may not be negative but i'm sure things won't be the same.
i'm waiting to hear something from a real stock broker. It may mean investing in certain sectors; all i know is that things won't be the same
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by TruBrotha: 7:25am On Aug 16, 2007
CHECK THE GROUND. THIS POST FELL DOWN!
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by coollove: 7:52am On Aug 16, 2007
KnowAll:

[quote:Bomi]Please enlighten on the effect of this reforms on savings and investment in shares

if u your share is say like example Zenith bank @ N63.00, under d new dispensation it will be 63/100 = 0.63kobo, that will be the new value post redenomination. this is just a narrative of the scenerio.
KnowAll:

if =N=1 is equal to $1 will their purchasing power be the same? I don't think it will be the same.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by RoughCut(m): 8:57am On Aug 16, 2007
coollove:

if =N=1 is equal to $1 will their purchasing power be the same? I don't think it will be the same.
If there is fiscal discipline on the part of Government by reining in INFLATION and pumping up our external reserves hopefully a lot more foreign direct investment which would suppport the naira i don't see any reason why  in REAL terms the value of the naira should not be at par with the dollar. Its a long shot but i think its worth a try IT CAN BE DONE and it  CAN HAPPEN
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Echidime(m): 9:06am On Aug 16, 2007
Nothing Absolutely nothing will happen. the only thing that will happen will be the betterment of all Nigerians
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by KnowAll(m): 9:59am On Aug 16, 2007
[quote:]coolloveif =N=1 is equal to $1 will their purchasing power be the same? I don't think it will be the same[quote][/quote]

even among the 16 or is it 20 european countries the purchasing power of the euro is not the same, so i dont think it will be the same purchasing power.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by swiftycool(m): 10:51am On Aug 16, 2007
Please does anyone know the implication of this currency issue on FOREX trading?
i need honest, informed and sensible replies please
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by timadel(m): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2007
hi,i strongly believe it will affect the capital market positively.i think it will be better to invest b4 the redenomination.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by Lagoschic: 11:37am On Aug 16, 2007
i like babadudu so if i want to buy it by 2008

now it is 10naira if i knock 2 zeros off it will be 0.100 naira

pls i dont understand
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by menix(m): 11:51am On Aug 16, 2007
Pls. any ghanian in here cous u guyz should ve a better knowledge of how this looks cous u just had urs.
I pray it works out but how would the govt revalue the prices of goods & services. Would pple be forced to remove two zero from the cost of services rendered.
What happens to ur hard earn millions in the bank would they ve to remove two zeros from what u ve in bank.
So landlords would now be forced to collect 20 naira a room per month, after building with millions.
Re: Effect Of Naira Redomination On Stock Market Investments? by spora(m): 12:40pm On Aug 16, 2007
I can see CONFUSION here already.

If after all that have been posted here on Nairaland, some landers (that are supposed to be enlightened) are still this confused, I wonder what the case will be with iyalojas and babalojas (marketers).

Nigeria, we hail thee!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

LCCI Advises FG To Cut Spending On Refreshments To Save Nigeria’s Economy / Learn How To Produce Different Types Of High Grade Quality Paints / Nigeria’s Stocks Among World’s Best-performers In 4 Months – Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.