Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? (657 Views)

Usuma Dam, Abuja: You Won't Believe This Is Nigeria (Video, Photos) / Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics) / Lebanese Female Police Officers In Mini-Shorts To Attract Tourists (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Nobody: 8:57am On Aug 03, 2022
Found this on Quora. Balanced and sincere in my opinion.

Before now, If you were Asian or a black foreigner, you could easily blend in. The joke was that, no matter how rich you are, if you look Asian, people would think you're poor. And if you are a black foreigner, people mistake you for a local. But if you're white, you could be as broke as a toddler, people would think you're made of money.

Nigeria has more people living in poverty than any other country at the moment. In the wrong time and place, you could be taken advantage of by a person or group who want to make ends meet at all cost, hence there are wide spread kidnappings for ransom and armed robbery.

For years, I have been writing articles, even on this platform, encouraging tourists to Visit Nigeria and explore its beautiful land and the fascinating people but I would be delusional to do so at the moment.

I saw, in Dubai, how tourists were jostling to take photos and make videos in front of an artificial waterfall, coming out of yet an artificial cave, someplace around Palm Jumeirah. It is a nice piece of art but I didn't look at it twice. To me, it was a joke because I have seen fascinating natural waterfalls that are over 100 meters high in Nigeria, but sadly no tourist visits them.

We have a country with lots of natural wonders from which the government could realize so much revenue in tourism alone but not tapped into because it's just not safe enough for people to visit those touristy sites.

So whenever foreigners wanting to visit Nigeria reached out to me, I tell them it's okay to come. That they should live in major cities, travel less by road and fly more if they want to see different parts of the country. And to also dress modestly and avoid late-night movements.

I was doing my part in encouraging people to come to see Nigeria and, a few did come. I even had my visitors and they all went back to their countries safely but now, I won't encourage anyone to come. There are lots of places I won't even encourage myself to go to.

Nigeria at the moment is not safe, even for Nigerians. Everyone is in danger and everyone knows it.

You have to poke our President to remind him that he's the President because he's often in shock when terrible things happen. He seems to have long forgotten why he's even there, and lately, he's been making comments on how he just can't wait to leave office.

To further support my view, our President's convoy got attacked recently in his home state with a couple of fatalities. That's the safest man in the country. Just let that sink in.

Unknown gunmen broke into a prison at the heart of Abuja, our safest city, yet, released thousands of their men and went free. The operation took several hours and there was no timely police or military intervention.

Nigeria has long left the list of safest countries in the world but things have never gotten this bad as they are now.

If you're visiting your spouse, boyfriend, or coming to carry out business deals by all means, you'll have to be extremely cautious.

Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Obidient4life2: 8:58am On Aug 03, 2022
Very risky
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Totilopussylick(m): 8:59am On Aug 03, 2022
It is safe for Lebanese.

I live in Germany

And I came across one Lebanese man in the train.

We chatted for so many hours

Las Las he confessed to me that most of the bandit and terrorists sponsors are from Lebanese.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by dhattibaba: 8:59am On Aug 03, 2022
Well, usually depends on where you are but the south west is relatively safer than all other regions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 03, 2022
dhattibaba:
Well, usually depends on where you are but the south west is relatively safer than all other regions.

Bro, I am from the SW but the region will ultimately become as unsafe as even the most unsafe parts of the North if the security architecture of Nigeria is not holistically, fundamentally and extensively reformed.

We should not really bask in any false sense of security in the SW.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by sirjustice1575(m): 9:04am On Aug 03, 2022
Even the Nigeria is not safe for her citizens how much more white tourists.

You all better be OBIdient and vote for Labour Party.
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 03, 2022
Totilopussylick:
It is safe for Lebanese.

I live in Germany

And I came across one Lebanese man in the train.

We chatted for so many hours

Las Las he confessed to me that most of the bandit and terrorists sponsors are from Lebanese.

No doubt a lot of foreigners sponsor terror in Nigeria but the tragedy is that they have a lot of compliant Nigerian partners.
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by dhattibaba: 9:28am On Aug 03, 2022
Well said
candidtalk:

Bro, I am from the SW but the region will ultimately become as unsafe as even the most unsafe parts of the North if the security architecture of Nigeria is not holistically, fundamentally and extensively reformed.

We should not really bask in any false sense of security in the SW.
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by thesicilian: 9:30am On Aug 03, 2022
Nigeria is as safe as almost any other country if you observe basic safety measures as a tourist
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by tsdarkside(m): 11:44am On Aug 03, 2022
its not safe for black people,we should care if its safe for white people....??

btw,where in the entire world is safe....??
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 07, 2022
tsdarkside:
its not safe for black people,we should care if its safe for white people....??

btw,where in the entire world is safe....??

It is an opinion piece, to precipitate thinking and not to exalt white people or propose their needs as sacrosanct before that of all others.

The point remains that Nigeria has become very unsafe under Buhari for everyone. The original author of the article has an interest in tourism and hospitality hence his writing and the specific perspective of such.

Overall though, he makes a sound point that connected with me. When the world rushes to see main-made fountains in Dubai, to spurn the far more beautiful and natural examples we have on offer in Nigeria, then we are ultimately the big losers in terms of forfeiting the huge income tourism can deliver for Nigeria.

Obvious the author of the opinion below is very passionate about Nigeria but wants more done to benefit his own personal engagement with Nigeria.

I saw, in Dubai, how tourists were jostling to take photos and make videos in front of an artificial waterfall, coming out of yet an artificial cave, someplace around Palm Jumeirah. It is a nice piece of art but I didn't look at it twice. To me, it was a joke because I have seen fascinating natural waterfalls that are over 100 meters high in Nigeria, but sadly no tourist visits them.
Re: Is Nigeria Safe For White Tourists? by tsdarkside(m): 9:59pm On Aug 07, 2022
candidtalk:

It is an opinion piece, to precipitate thinking and not to exalt white people or propose their needs as sacrosanct before that of all others.

The point remains that Nigeria has become very unsafe under Buhari for everyone. The original author of the article has an interest in tourism and hospitality hence his writing and the specific perspective of such.

Overall though, he makes a sound point that connected with me. When the world rushes to see main-made fountains in Dubai, to spurn the far more beautiful and natural examples we have on offer in Nigeria, then we are ultimately the big losers in terms of forfeiting the huge income tourism can deliver for Nigeria.

Obvious the author of the opinion below is very passionate about Nigeria but wants more done to benefit his own personal engagement with Nigeria.

when was nigeria good with tourism....??
back then with jonathan....??

chibok girls news is good for tourism....??
btw,nigeria was not known for tourism before....

nigeria is known for business....

(1) (Reply)

Ethiopia Scrapped Visa On Arrival For Nigerians, 41 Others / Travel Guide: How To Get A Job In Canada From Nigeria / Test Your Capability And Aptitude For The Right Counrty To Visit!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.