Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,475 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:04 PM

Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! (331 Views)

Biden's Plan To Overhaul Tax Code Would Close Offshore Tax Loopholes / Ugwuanyi Orders Total Overhaul Of General Hospital Agbani / #johesustrike2018: Our Healthcare Is Not For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 9:42pm On Aug 04, 2022
In order to reposition our healthcare system for optimum productivity, there is need for urgent overhaul of boards of our health institutions. We need to borrow a leaf from countries with thriving healthcare system like the UK, US, India etc.

The current system places so much powers on the physician, and like the saying goes-- absolute power corrupts absolutely! I'm surprised that some Nigerians, especially our political leaders have not seen (or pretend not to see) why our healthcare system has continually performed abysmally. It is not only about poor funding like the beneficiaries of the current system would want us to believe. Rather it is about enthroning a functional and unbiased leadership structure. Otherwise, we'll continue to vote in money into these healthcare institutions without getting the desired results in terms of quality healthcare delivery.

To further buttress my point, the governing boards of our health institutions need to accommodate all the professional groups in the healthcare industry vis-à-vis Physicians, Pharmacists, Nurses, Radiographers, Lab Scientists and even those from the management sciences and law who have taken advanced courses in healthcare administration.

Now, instead of the current system whereby a physician is appointed CMD, let us have a HOSPITAL PRESIDENT who must not be a physician, but someone from Law or Management sciences with additional postgraduate qualification in hospital administration. Then we can have directorates of medical services, pharmaceutical services, laboratory services, nursing services to be supervised by a physician, a Pharmacist,a Medical lab scientists, a Nurse etc respectively.

The above overhaul will usher in a new era of increased productivity, industrial harmony and absence of rancor among the various practitioners of healthcare in our country. The leadership structure will no longer shield the ineptitude of one professional group which has been the order of the day in our hospitals. Consultants would now have no choice than come to work and stop diverting patients to their private clinics for financial gains! Everybody will now be on their toes to give their best towards ensuring that patients get the best possible care they deserve.

I understand that a bill is on the floor of the national assembly to effect such changes in our healthcare industry. However, I also know the extent to which the forces of darkness currently benefiting from the current flawed system can go to truncate the noble intentions of that bill. I therefore appeal to all progressive minded individuals among our lawmakers, and indeed, all lovers of good health, to give full support to that bill until it becomes a law. That bill when passed and assented to will benefit not only you but your unborn generations.

This piece was written out of my burning desire to see our healthcare system turn around for the benefit of every Nigerian. I hope it gets to the desired audience.

Moderator, please do the needful.
Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by blackboy(m): 9:52pm On Aug 04, 2022
You ave a good point but... I think this president thing will be counter productive..what we need in Nigeria is like what you have in other countries as you mentioned but not about the position or title but accountability and punishment for failing in your role or performing below expectations which is something that does not happen in Nigeria. Corruption is the order of most. Occupy a position it is about enriching ones self and family and friends and going scot free to enjoy the ill gotten wealth that has cost lives of Nigerians and education and taken Nigeria back 20 years or destroyed Nigeria. Those to judge or arrest collect a share and live large.
Re: Urgent Need To Overhaul Our Healthcare Institutions!!! by Jman06(m): 10:59pm On Aug 04, 2022
blackboy:
You ave a good point but... I think this president thing will be counter productive..what we need in Nigeria is like what you have in other countries as you mentioned but not about the position or title but accountability and punishment for failing in your role or performing below expectations which is something that does not happen in Nigeria. Corruption is the order of most. Occupy a position it is about enriching ones self and family and friends and going scot free to enjoy the ill gotten wealth that has cost lives of Nigerians and education and taken Nigeria back 20 years or destroyed Nigeria. Those to judge or arrest collect a share and live large.
Well, I also understand the issue of corruption you're pointing out. But I believe strongly that changing the current leadership hierarchy in our healthcare institutions is very crucial to effective service delivery.

(1) (Reply)

Bankussdcode.com / How To Get Clear Skin Fast / Get Internationally Certified With Our Care Givers Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.