Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,824 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. (31268 Views)

What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa / "Mother Of My Babies" In Igala Language Of Kogi State / I Want To Learn Igala Language, Get In Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
akunjohn:

You nailed it, sometimes ago around 1994 to 1996,I was posted to Idah for a road projects with my friends from Ibadan and before we left that place, we've mastered the language very well...they always call us omoyaji...
My colleagues even got married there.
The good old days grin grin

This Omoyaji sounds like Iyagi or Ayagi, which is used in parts of Northern Nigeria to mean 'a Yoruba person'. I think it originates from a Nupe exonym for the Yoruba people. In some parts of Anioma you may hear "Nyenji" used for a Yoruba person which originates from the same Nupe expression.

2 Likes

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:47pm On Aug 21, 2022
delpee:

Interesting! I'm surprised actually. I've been to Anambra and Enugu before and assumed they're full Igbo states. Thanks for enlightening me.

Our inlaws from Anambra claim Igbo ancestry with a traditional title attached to the family (Chief). Probably a mixed or acquired heritage based on your analysis.

Surely, you know what this guy wrote is a load of crock.

Igala villages do exist in Anambra and Enugu, but they are a small collection of tiny villages in Anambra West and Ụzọ-Ụwani LGAs. They are so small and so invisible that many people in Anambra and Enugu don't even know they exist. And they are certainly not richer than the Igbo. If anything their areas are impoverished and inaccessible.

2 Likes

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Olu317(m): 9:19am On Aug 22, 2022
macof:

Lmao. You don't know the guy and his madness on this forum?
And youare a sane man ? May every statement and thought of yours towards me be upon you and your lineage.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by macof(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2022
RedboneSmith:

This Omoyaji sounds like Iyagi or Ayagi, which is used in parts of Northern Nigeria to mean 'a Yoruba person'. I think it originates from a Nupe exonym for the Yoruba people. In some parts of Anioma you may hear "Nyenji" used for a Yoruba person which originates from the same Nupe expression.
This is what I was suspecting
Reason I asked him
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Probz(m): 12:16pm On Aug 23, 2022
shortIGBOman:

The entire Anambra is IGALA ancestral State, half of Enugu is also Igala. Most of those wealthy people you see as Igbo are actually Igala. The IGALA in Anambra and Enugu are actually richer than the Igbo who live in those areas

The reason why the Igala embrace Igbo language is that, Igbo language is the language of trade in that Region. Just like Hausa is that language of trade in the North. Which forced other minorities in that region to speak Hausa.

Igala? Rich? L.M.A.O., still.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by shortIGBOman: 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2022
Probz:

Igala? Rich? L.M.A.O., still.

Emeka, e shock you abi? grin grin

Igala Amaka

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Probz(m): 8:24pm On Aug 23, 2022
shortIGBOman:

Igala Amaka

Lol.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by delpee(f): 11:49pm On Aug 26, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Surely, you know what this guy wrote is a load of crock.

Igala villages do exist in Anambra and Enugu, but they are a small collection of tiny villages in Anambra West and Ụzọ-Ụwani LGAs. They are so small and so invisible that many people in Anambra and Enugu don't even know they exist. And they are certainly not richer than the Igbo. If anything their areas are impoverished and inaccessible.

Thanks for the update.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Probz(m): 8:40pm On Aug 28, 2022
shortIGBOman:

Igala Amaka

I really don’t mind the Igalas (I’m maternally once-removed from an Awka village that has a certain noteworthy linkage with ndu Igala and my maternal grandma spoke Igala most of her life, and her mum was from Nsukka so you can imagine) but rich they are not, not inherently for Naija. Let’s just say the truth, abeg.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by nogragra: 9:47am On Aug 29, 2022
ariesbull:
it all end in online... The wailing end in online

You will find out sooner than later. You must be removed forcibly by but anahilated as people that must be devoted to death for all the evil you have thought other innocent people, from 419, kidnapping, penis exporting to China and now Unknown gun men who kill people for organ harvesting to sell to the highest bidder. Your evil will catch up with you and the fulani nonentities.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by nogragra: 9:47am On Aug 29, 2022
ariesbull:
it all end in online... The wailing end in online
\
You will find out sooner than later. You must be removed forcibly by but anahilated as people that must be devoted to death for all the evil you have thought other innocent people, from 419, kidnapping, penis exporting to China and now Unknown gun men who kill people for organ harvesting to sell to the highest bidder. Your evil will catch up with you and the fulani nonentities.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by ariesbull: 12:04pm On Aug 29, 2022
nogragra:
\
so you can monopolize violence

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Maryam1234(f): 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2022
macof:

Lmao. You don't know the guy and his madness on this forum?
Oh! my God cryYou don off me again Sir,I feel ashamed arguing with a nincompoop right now. kiss
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by nogragra: 11:47am On Aug 31, 2022
ariesbull:
so you can monopolize violence
You shall see when the time comes.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by ariesbull: 6:30pm On Sep 01, 2022
nogragra:

You shall see when the time comes.
we have been hearing this for years.... Bring it on let's burn it down
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by nogragra: 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2022
ariesbull:
we have been hearing this for years.... Bring it on let's burn it down
You think you have the key to violence? You will get your pay in real soon when all your evil all over the world will catch up with you.
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by ThankHIM: 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2022
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Flamezreal(m): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2022
Christistruth00:

Wahala was originally a Hausa word Yorubas before used to say ijogbon which means Trouble
no, wahala is Malian language shared by both Hausa and Yoruba. Masala is original word for wahala in Hausa.

1 Like

Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by UGBE634: 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2023
Ekealterego:
ah.
Today's Igala langauge is marginally intelligible with Yoruba.

They probably come from same proto-language.
Interestingly also, Igala and Benin seem to be the buffer zone or centre between Yoruba and Igbo.
They have an element of both.
Yes they have element of both. But one is Edoid and the other it's very nature is yoruboid even though there is a strong Igbo influence in Igala. Igala has element of yoruba because she is a brother tribe to yoruba linguistically unlike Bini which has some element of yoruba as well as Igbo mainly because of geography and association
Re: Relationship Between Yoruba Language And Igala Language. by Swiftgrp: 2:45am On Dec 16, 2023
eniade07:
I was talking with a colleague an igala man from Kogi state, I later discovered during our conversation that most of their igala words are almost similar to yoruba words. Interestingly, the man told me that they're closer to the south eastern part of the country than the south west.I came across below quotation from wikipedia

"The Yoruba culture was originally an oral tradition, and the majority of Yoruba people are native speakers of the Yoruba language. The number of speakers is roughly estimated at about 30 million in 2010. Yoruba is classified within the Edekiri languages, and together with the isolate Igala, form the Yoruboid group of languages within what we now have as West Africa. Igala and Yoruba have important historical and cultural relationships. The languages of the two ethnic groups bear such a close resemblance that researchers such as Forde (1951) and Westermann and Bryan (1952) regarded Igala as a dialect of Yoruba"

"Also Igáláà is a Yoruboid language. It is spoken by the Igala ethnic group of Nigeria. In 1989 an estimated 800,000 spoke Igala, primarily in Kogi State, though current day estimates estimate upwards of 2 million Igala speakers. Dialects include Idah, Imane, Ankpa, Dekina, Ogugu, Ibaji and Ife. The Igala is related to Yoruba with which it shares a previous common ancestor, it remains unclear when both language split, mutual intelligibility in modern times is only marginal, although the sound/tonal systems remain the same, akin to the relationship between the various daughter languages of the Romance or Slavic language families. The Idoma and Bassa people use Igala in primary schools. The Igala language, as well as Igala culture and tradition, has influenced other languages and cultures around the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pictures From Igbo-Ora Twins Festival 2022 / Queen Okwukwe Nwoko Ejected From Palace Over Allegation Of Infidelity(photo) / Adeyeye-Ogunwusi, Ooni Of Ife To Face EFCC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.