Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,146 members, 7,807,472 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria (56429 Views)

What Is Your Experience As A 3rd Class Graduate / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians? / My 6 Months Experience As An Uber/bolt Driver In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by lolu2019: 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2022
bolacode:

That's why tech will remain hot forever
as long as the secret is intact.if u want to save urself from slavery, go into research and technology.

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 08, 2022
hollandis:
Nonsense write up
Why didnt you just do 1 write up instead of breaking it into several comments

Fish brain woman, shut up, read and learn so you don't continue begging for urgent 2k

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Aug 08, 2022
pocohantas:
My 9months Experience As A Naija-based Remote Worker

Very nice and enlightening thread.

Keep it up.

7 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Maxxim: 2:07pm On Aug 08, 2022
hollandis:
Nonsense write up
Why didnt you just do 1 write up instead of breaking it into several comments

Reason indians and pakistanis with their weird accent kept taking all these roles
Deluded person

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Kokaine(m): 2:09pm On Aug 08, 2022
Yeah im on upwork too. But i noticed something

Getting gis jobs are so difficult

Getting jobs on electrical and solar load analysis is very tough too and mostly requires the use of very costly softwares like helioscope and pvsyst whixh i dont have or plan to buy

Nigeria educational system generally makes you unemployable when you compare the standards abroad

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by reddingtonblack: 2:11pm On Aug 08, 2022
may the thread never run out of gas

5 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Kokaine(m): 2:13pm On Aug 08, 2022
Gis experts please lets gather here and share resources. What data do you need and what data can you give?

I need the solar irradiation data for all states in nigeria for each month to enable me do analysis for solar installers in different states and different time of the year. This will help load calculations.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Christboy320(m): 2:16pm On Aug 08, 2022
I am a complete novice in all this things but i have desire and passion to work legitimate online and earn a living ,

If any one can tutor or mentor me i will be very happy to help myself get up and work since i cant do yahoo cause its not my kinda thing please

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by ikezudon(m): 2:16pm On Aug 08, 2022
Kudos for the write-up. My own journey started in March this year. However, it is a little bit different from yours.

I have a knowledge of these things but nothing worked for me with my Nigerian profile. I understand SEO, can research any topic, and put it down technically, or in a conversational tone..

I submitted 100s of proposals, yet I didn't get 1 invite for an interview.

However, March this year I switched to my sister's profile. She lives in the UK and isn't interested in the platform so I asked her to create and verify an account for me.

I got my first job on the 3rd proposal I sent. Same methods and formats I used for my Nigerian profile is what I used still.

It has been interviews and jobs from then on...

So yes, in some niches, your Nationality won't help you.

Na my own 2 cents be this Sha.....

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by wman(m): 2:17pm On Aug 08, 2022
Interesting. I used to freelance on Upwork and Fiverr too. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Iranoladun(f): 2:19pm On Aug 08, 2022
pocohantas:
My 9months Experience As A Naija-based Remote Worker

Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge. Please continue

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by rman: 2:21pm On Aug 08, 2022
A breath of fresh air!

Kudos to the OP.
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Hacks4dummies: 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2022
ikezudon:
Kudos for the write-up. My own journey started in March this year. However, it is a little bit different from yours.

I have a knowledge of these things but nothing worked for me with my Nigerian profile. I understand SEO, can research any topic, and put it down technically, or in a conversational tone..

I submitted 100s of proposals, yet I didn't get 1 invite for an interview.

However, March this year I switched to my sister's profile. She lives in the UK and isn't interested in the platform so I asked her to create and verify an account for me.

I got my first job on the 3rd proposal I sent. Same methods and formats I used for my Nigerian profile is what I used still.

It has been interviews and jobs from then on...

So yes, in some niches, your Nationality won't help you.

Na my own 2 cents be this Sha.....
boss abeg how did you get to use your sisters account here in Nigeria? RDP? Please explain.. thanks.

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Obudupikin: 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2022
LikeAking:

Abeg take down this post.. u want Nigerians to spoil out source of livelihood?

Dude, the sky is wide enough for all birds to fly.

And the apartheid against your fellow citizens diplayed in your comment is appalling in the very least.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by agabaI23(m): 2:22pm On Aug 08, 2022
I read through half of this post before I checked out the author and it is Pocohantas
Thank you. I have a profile on Upworks but I have not been serious. I kinda stumbled on your post after I got a warning that something is expiring, my connect.. grin

3 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by NUJABEZ: 2:23pm On Aug 08, 2022
I was on Upwork for six years and made more than $100k. The truth is, more than 90% of you guys reading this thread and this post will not be succesful. Upwork is not child's play, and if you do not have the skills and attention to detail required, you will not get very far.

I might sound negative, but I swore never to tell any soul about Upwork in Nigeria anymore because you guys don't have the work ethic, the resolve, and the ability to transcend the Nigerian factor. The ones I introduced to the platform never made it anywhere because they didn't put in the work. To me, Upwork is best discovered by a person rather than being told about it.

If you are going into Upwork without the right tools, equipment, and mindset -- you will fail.

If you begin working on Upwork without quickly specializing, for instance, moving from content writing to marketing automation expert; or, data entry worker to Business Analyst within your first two years on the platform, you will fail.

If you love too much sleep and detest rejection, you will fail.

If you cannot devote all of your heart and passion to become the best that you can be, you will be found out and you will get your sorry ass fired.

If you cannot rid yourself of that uniquely Nigerian ability to fashion excuses for the deferment of work, you will be let go. Your profile will tank and no one will hire you.

38 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by ifydav(m): 2:23pm On Aug 08, 2022
[quote author=lolu2019 post=115503679][/quote]

Please can you give me an example of how what this cover letter looks like.
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Emmhychidi(m): 2:24pm On Aug 08, 2022
Interesting Read
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Kokaine(m): 2:25pm On Aug 08, 2022
Christboy320:
I am a complete novice in all this things but i have desire and passion to work legitimate online and earn a living ,

If any one can tutor or mentor me i will be very happy to help myself get up and work since i cant do yahoo cause its not my kinda thing please
Register www.upwork.com

Search for simple jobs as well as jobs that fit your career or expertise.

Apply for jobs posted few minutes ago not hours or days

Most importantly. Beg God!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by agabaI23(m): 2:26pm On Aug 08, 2022
NUJABEZ:
I was on Upwork for six years and made more than $100k. The truth is, more than 90% of you guys reading this thread and this post will not be succesful. Upwork is not child's play, and if you do not have the skills and attention to detail required, you will not get very far.

I might sound negative, but I swore never to tell any soul about Upwork in Nigeria anymore because you guys don't have the work ethic, the resolve, and the ability to transcend the Nigerian factor. The ones I introduced to the platform never made it anywhere because they didn't put in the work. To me, Upwork is best discovered by a person rather than being told about it.

If you are going into Upwork without the right tools, equipment, and mindset -- you will fail.

If you begin working on Upwork without quickly specializing, for instance, moving from content writing to marketing automation expert; or, data entry worker to Business Analyst within your first two years on the platform, you will fail.

If you cannot devote all of your heart and passion to become the best that you can be, you will be found out and you will get your sorry ass fired.

If you cannot rid yourself of that uniquely Nigerian ability to fashion excuses for the deferment of work, you will be let go. Your profile will tank and no one will hire you.

I need an intro. I am very good at what I do. I will not let you down. I am already there but I need some help

2 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by JackWolfskin: 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2022
NUJABEZ:

Exactly. I experienced the bolded. Wait for it...

...~10 years ago.

Great writing as always from Pocohantas

6 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 2:31pm On Aug 08, 2022
NUJABEZ:

Hahahahahaha!

Very true!!! Nigerians have very poor work ethics. Sometimes my friends say I am working too hard. This is how I hard I work to endear boss to me. It is how I work to get the money you come asking me for loans!!

When you work with foreigners for just a week, your brain and body go tell you.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by dgee1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 08, 2022
Absolutely spot on!
NUJABEZ:

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by EGBEDA101: 2:35pm On Aug 08, 2022
Christboy320:

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by JackWolfskin: 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2022
pocohantas:

Hahahahahaha!

Very true!!! Nigerians have very poor work ethics. Sometimes my friends say I am working too hard. This is how I hard I work to endear boss to me. It is how I work to get the money you come asking me for loans!!

When you work with foreigners for just a week, your brain and body go tell you.

It's mentally stimulating jare. The monotony in Nigerian work spaces is numbling.

4 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by folake4u(f): 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2022
lolu2019:
forget it,dumb people no go still do am.

You are very very right. Irrespective of pocohantas writing on this thread, those who aren't strong willed will attempt and it won't work for them.

Nice one Op. smiley

5 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Bigkoko: 2:38pm On Aug 08, 2022
Three to five guys can come together and Register a company here in RWANDA, purpose been to get PR.

Then rent house together and run your show with constant light & 4G LTE network on Mango or Canal Box.

See how your hustling will grow, couple with a weekend of good & deep piping of Kigali babes!

Bigkoko can help you guys Plan this out! For just a token!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by dgee1(m): 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2022
Read all the threads the OP mentioned from from Page 1 to the last. You'll get all the information you need. Also make research on Google.
EGBEDA101:

1 Like

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by SavageBoy: 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2022
Nice one pocolee... sorry pocohantas grin

Your experience is quite an interesting one and I can relate with it.

I've known upwork since 2016/2017, only God know the evil spirit that stopped me from joining then.

Eventually, I opened an account in the first week of April 2020 as a software engineer. Getting approved almost immediately, I changed it to a writer's profilegrin

I did not send any proposal at all till June 1st this year when I decided to take it more seriously. Got several feedbacks and eventually landed a long term writing job for a US based client. And it has been a wonderful experience so far

The completion in upwork is crazy. The Pakistanis, the Filipinos, and Indians have made it really difficult getting a work there. And the fact that we're Nigerians, we've already had like two own goals already.

Though some Nigerians are making it big. I recently came across a Nigerian based writer that has earned more than $100k+. Success in upwork is many a time a game of effort, chance, and luck.

19 Likes

Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by Penguin2: 2:44pm On Aug 08, 2022
pocohantas:

You are most welcome sis,

Sorry for the late response, I got banned by antispam-bot.

I created it to help others because many do not know other sectors could excel in remote work. So, I should thank you more for paying attention, lol.

I responded here because I am sure someone would ask some of these questions. Make I respond to all in one place.

Thank you for this darling.

Please what do you think of Proofreading Niche?

I’m asking this because I’m definitely taking this up no matter what it would take for me to draw success from it.

And being that you choose your niche at registration which kind of filters jobs available for you, I wanna know about the chances in the Proofreading Niche so I don’t have to join the saturated Customer Support niche.

Thank you
Re: My 9 Months Experience As A Non-Tech Remote Worker In Nigeria by qtguru(m): 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2022
Pocohantas the chairlady, I seen some negative comments already. Low life's things.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Thread On Volunteering Opportunities In Nigeria / Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call / Since I Slept With My Staff She No Longer Respects Me Pls Advise Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.