Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? (7170 Views)

Are Gay Men Better Dressers Than Straight Men? / Male Hair Dressers / Skimpy Dressers: Confidently Shy, Stupid, Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by TheBBF(f): 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2011
The thing that annoys me the most with my hair dresser is: When I bring a new treatment to try she does exactly what the instructions say not to do. Eg. Strengthening treatment says apply to hair and DO NOT COMB, rinse out after 10 minutes. Why does she then proceed to try and comb my hair? angry. She will now argue with me and say that the treatment "won't enter" if she doesn't comb it . you would think that the person who that wrote the instructions was daft. It drives me nuts how sometimes they just don't listen.

1 Like

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by kemisuga(f): 4:25pm On Aug 03, 2011
Frowning over my head.
Telling me she cant fix a particular style I wanted, cause she has an appointment.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by FlyboyZee: 4:26pm On Aug 03, 2011
They usually make my wife upset any time she returns from the hair dressers.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Honeycity(f): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2011
making a hair style different from what i asked her to do
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by blank(f): 4:33pm On Aug 03, 2011
Rinsing my hair only twice cos they are trying to conserve water. How does that concern me? For crying out loud, the foam is still pink.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by livin: 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
Talk too much
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by yusuf2(m): 4:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
they charge too much for Brazilian hair angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by emofine(f): 4:46pm On Aug 03, 2011
Baptizing my hair in grease abi na hair cream. Once the substance kon dey waka comot from my head and began leaking on my clothes (new outfit as well) lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Wokeyim(f): 4:59pm On Aug 03, 2011
Ever been to a salon to loosen a hairdo that wasn't made in that salon, then you know what I'm talking about. They'll so whine and wail while loosening the hair telling you how the person who made it used too much thread, sewed the hair wrongly, used a fake weave-on etc.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by TheBBF(f): 5:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
@blank  shocked shocked shocked when you relax? ahhhh I no go gree!!!! they would have to go and find water. Please if they didn't have enough water why did they agree to relax the hair in the first place. Nigerian hairdressers oh!

There was one time I had a huge knot in my hair, and the girl literally took the small comb and yanked it out! angry I couldn't believe it. Then she said sorry with attitude,
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by madoba: 5:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
Let me see

1. Expecting a tip when they've failed to do a good job

2. Openly soliciting for tips

3. Arguing with me the customer and putting up a sour face when I express my displeasure with the way they are handling my hair.

4. Watching TV/African Magic and at the same time trying to make my hair or do my nails. I never let them get away with this one, Serioulsy!!! how can anyone do a good job when their attention is divided between work and TV

5. Over-using and wasting my hair products while being miserly with the saloon's products

6. Not rinsing my hair thoroughly because they are trying to conserve water

The list just goes on, this days I have a mini saloon at home where I do practically everything by myself except braid.
The drama from hair dressers is just too much but the male ones are cool though.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Isokoman1(m): 5:31pm On Aug 03, 2011
Because as there is too much BIG MADAM in Nigeria. We've left that profession to illiterates who has very little brain capacity. What do you expect from them?
I think its time we make those profession/trade appealing to the general not people when no no book.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by TheBBF(f): 5:35pm On Aug 03, 2011
madoba:

Let me see

3. Arguing with me the customer and putting up a sour face when I express my displeasure with the way they are handling my hair.

4. Watching TV/African Magic and at the same time trying to make my hair or do my nails. I never let them get away with this one, Serioulsy!!! how can anyone do a good job when their attention is divided between work and TV

5. Over-using and wasting my hair products while being miserly with the saloon's products

The list just goes on, this days I have a mini saloon at home where I do practically everything by myself except braid.
The drama from hair dressers is just too much but the male ones are cool though.

Hmm you are not the only one. because of so many bad experiences and hair loss. I started doing my hair myself at home. It is just not worth the headache!
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by stello(f): 6:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
Making a hair style that is quite differnt from what you instructed, and giving silly excuses rather than admitting their mistake

using half bucket of water to wash relaxer off your hair

emptying a whole jar of cream on our hair

combing your hair aggrresively and almost pulling off your scalp
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by marjo: 6:42pm On Aug 03, 2011
I agree with all of you. when the water one happens i offer to pay for an extra bucket of water wink The one that constantly annoys me is the fact that i am yet to meet one that can relax only the undergrowth! they always want to comb right out to the ends further weakening already relaxed hair. i saw it done once and it was a Ghanaian male hairdresser - he was so good. He would relax your hair perfectly and not one drop of relaxer would touch the ends! one should also check the class of hairdressers in the salon or is it the locality within which is is situated - all these also count for something.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by eggo: 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2011
talkin over my head thereby pulling it cos shes so into her gist, eeewwww,
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by N101: 7:04pm On Aug 03, 2011
Thanks ladies - all of you have just reinforced my resolve to stay natural than let these scary people near my hair! cool grin
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by kritikul(f): 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2011
Breaking my hair in the name of combing while retouching and even during ordinary washing/setting, using their over mixed conditioner that would have no effect on the hair. Then after working on braking my hair, they would say my hair has split ends and needs trimming and they will go ahead and barb my hair in the name of trimming with some parts shorter than the rest. And they would trim it at every retouch such that my hair stops growing. It also annoys me how some of them will accept to do a style they know nothing of and you end up loosing the hair the same day. I so much dread going to the saloon. Too many amateur among them angry angry angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by vivienne(f): 8:11pm On Aug 03, 2011
Nothing can beat a girl with body odour washing your hair! You have no choice but to endure that smell for atleast 10 minutes  lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2011
Isoko man:

Because as there is too much BIG MADAM in Nigeria. We've left that profession to illiterates who has very little brain capacity. What do you expect from them?
I think its time we make those profession/trade appealing to the general not people when no no book.

GBAM! i think its improving these days sha. At least young knowledgeable people are beginning to own such places.

madoba:

Let me see

angry angry angry angry very true, too many local places
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by tlo(f): 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2011
Using shea butter on my hair.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Goldieluks: 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2011
Asking me to adjust my head rest position,in a rude way angry angry
i hate it.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by biolabee(m): 9:36pm On Aug 03, 2011
interesting,

subscribing
madoba:

[b]The list just goes on, this days I have a mini saloon at home where I do practically everything by myself except braid.

@madoba, what stuff do u do u do on your own,
tnx
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by sashaa(f): 11:26pm On Aug 03, 2011
Thought i was the only one that dreaded going to hair salons.

One thing i hate about salons(not d dressers now) is d chit chats that goes on in there. Some are just plain annoying and silly!
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by blank(f): 11:29pm On Aug 03, 2011
Even the most established saloons av dir issues. Stopped going to Down Town in Surulere cos the drama was just too much. The one I av started using is this Gentle Treatment Hair school in VI. They are very attentive just that u av 2 use their products.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by UpDates1(m): 2:27am On Aug 04, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by limababy(f): 5:43am On Aug 04, 2011
I don't understand why most hair dressers retouch the whole hair and I see women just sit there and say nothing. I belive neither the hairdresser nor customer reads the instructions for these products. I also see women stay for an hour with relaxers on their head waiting for their hairdresser to say its ok or when it starts to burn.

Remedy: read all the instructions for all the products you bring to the salon so you can better advise the hairdresser (if they accept correction). smiley
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 6:27am On Aug 04, 2011
I have yet to experience this in Nigeria but I have heard of this happening to many women when they go back to Nigeria. What annoys me about some Nigerian hairdressers is when they see a woman with natural hair and they tell her that they won't be able to braid the woman's hair unless its relaxed. Things like that really irk me because first of all, you shouldn't be perming/relaxing hair that has just been relaxed/permed. Second, were we as Africans not braiding our hair before relaxers were invented? And third, how the hell can you call yourself a hairdresser when you don't know proper techniques to care for hair? In my opinion, as a hairdresser you need to be well rounded regardless of the type of hair you deal with. There is a very famous hairdresser here in the US who I was watching on tv once and I noticed that the hairdresser would get on people's cases for not knowing certain hair techniques when she herself could do a simple cornrow.

Another thing that got to me once was when I went to a salon and the hairstylist/salon owner asked me what kind of haircut I wanted and I said I wanted something that fits my face shape and the woman looked me in the eye and scolded me for saying that I wanted something that suited my face. What kind of hairstylist doesn't know that there are certain styles that just don't fit certain people?!? undecided

All in all, I can't really say I've had a "bad" experience per se. Most of the experiences have been good except for one annoying moment that occurred when I decided to go to the Dominican salon near my house. Although they were very professional, clean, and hospitable, I could hear them speaking in Spanish about the texture of my hair angry

tlo:

Using shea butter on my hair.

What's wrong with using shea butter in your hair?

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by humanhair1: 7:31am On Aug 04, 2011
We have Brazilian and Indian hair.100 % Human hair weft.Very affordable.Call Now 08096647092.

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Isokoman1(m): 7:48am On Aug 04, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

I have yet to experience this in Nigeria but I have heard of this happening to many women when they go back to Nigeria. What annoys me about some Nigerian hairdressers is when they see a woman with natural hair and they tell her that they won't be able to braid the woman's hair unless its relaxed. Things like that really irk me because first of all, you shouldn't be perming/relaxing hair that has just been relaxed/permed. Second, were we as Africans not braiding our hair before relaxers were invented? And third, how the hell can you call yourself a hairdresser when you don't know proper techniques to care for hair. In my opinion, as a hairdresser you need to be well rounded regardless of the type of hair you deal with. There is a very famous hairdresser here in the US who I was watching on tv once and I noticed that the hairdresser would get on people's cases for not knowing certain hair techniques when she herself could do a simple cornrow.

Another thing that got to me once was when I went to a salon and the hairstylist/salon owner asked me what kind of haircut I wanted and I said I wanted something that fits my face shape and the woman looked me in the eye and scolded me for saying that I wanted something that suited my face. What kind of hairstylist doesn't know that there are certain styles that just don't fit certain people?!? undecided

All in all, I can't really say I've had a "bad" experience per se. Most of the experiences have been good except for one annoying moment that occurred when I decided to go to the Dominican salon near my house. Although they were very professional, clean, and hospitable, I could hear them speaking in Spanish about the texture of my hair angry

Inked_Nerd:

I have yet to experience this in Nigeria but I have heard of this happening to many women when they go back to Nigeria. What annoys me about some Nigerian hairdressers is when they see a woman with natural hair and they tell her that they won't be able to braid the woman's hair unless its relaxed. Things like that really irk me because first of all, you shouldn't be perming/relaxing hair that has just been relaxed/permed. Second, were we as Africans not braiding our hair before relaxers were invented? And third, how the hell can you call yourself a hairdresser when you don't know proper techniques to care for hair. In my opinion, as a hairdresser you need to be well rounded regardless of the type of hair you deal with. There is a very famous hairdresser here in the US who I was watching on tv once and I noticed that the hairdresser would get on people's cases for not knowing certain hair techniques when she herself could do a simple cornrow.

This is what I'm talking about. When we (NIGERIANS) look down on a trade that requires brains and flair to illiterates. Until we begin to add it to our school system, the women will still be having this problem with hairdressers
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 9:06am On Aug 04, 2011
Isoko man:

This is what I'm talking about. When we (NIGERIANS) look down on a trade that requires brains and flair to illiterates. Until we begin to add it to our school system, the women will still be having this problem with hairdressers

Personally, I don't look down on it like others do. Clearly some people just don't know what they're doing tongue

I dream of the day where Nigerians hairdressers will be more professional and knowledgeable is this line of work smiley
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by WebSurfer(m): 9:38am On Aug 04, 2011
shocked shocked
shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Salvatore Ferragamo Belts And Gucci Belts / Reccomendable To Flat Iron Natural Hair? / Please Who Has Used This Facial Cream Called "Carovate"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.