Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,484 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:23 PM

Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently (19838 Views)

Lebron James, Serena Williams, Tom Brady, Kim K. Attend Messi's Debut Match / Disney Style, Serena Williams Wedding Gown Revealed (Photos) / Serena Williams Weds Alexis Ohanian In An All-Star Guest List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by NaijaBookings: 2:38pm On Aug 09, 2022
Serena Williams has announced her imminent retirement from tennis.

The 23-time grand-slam champion won her first singles match for more than a year at the National Bank Open in Toronto on Monday evening but has revealed in a first-person piece for Vogue that she has decided to end her career.

“I’m here to tell you that I’m evolving away from tennis, toward other things that are important to me,” she wrote.

Williams has committed to playing at the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati next week as well as the US Open later this month, and it appears that will be her final tournament.

“Unfortunately I wasn’t ready to win Wimbledon this year,” said the 40-year-old.

“And I don’t know if I will be ready to win New York. But I’m going to try. And the lead-up tournaments will be fun.

“I know there’s a fan fantasy that I might have tied Margaret (Court on 24 slam singles titles) that day in London, then maybe beat her record in New York, and then at the trophy ceremony say, ‘See ya!’

“I get that. It’s a good fantasy. But I’m not looking for some ceremonial, final on-court moment. I’m terrible at goodbyes, the world’s worst.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportinglife.com/amp/tennis/news/serena-williams-set-to-retire-from-tennis-imminently/202780

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by ambience(m): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2022
embarassed cry

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Zchi1052(m): 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
Well deserved retirement
Na only greedy people de struggle till them near Grace

All these things you will still leave them and go bag to sand

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by OgaDeyVex: 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
Following The Thread Like Beans And Bread

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by TeamLeader(m): 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
Legendary female tennis player of all time.

61 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Nackzy: 3:04pm On Aug 09, 2022
She's reigned for decades

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Gkay1(m): 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
No champion forever
God bless you and enjoy your retirement life.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
My role m .dle

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by crossfm: 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
Goat.

Your achievement and contribution to tennis will never be forgotten.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by LaSenior: 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by neolboy(m): 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
We gonna miss ya

5 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Jayrockk: 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
Queen Serena

5 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Ancecoker(m): 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by slivertongue: 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
Oh darling. One of the greats

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Cholls(m): 3:05pm On Aug 09, 2022
crossfm:
Goat

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by officialwdhtv: 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Mandyoluchi(m): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
Serena my love. You're indeed a great champion. You're very obidient and you're very yusful

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by KanwuliaExtra: 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
Time don reach o.
Make all these “titis” nor dey disgrace her and her age upandan for court. grin

I don taya to cry for her “Argentina”!

6 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by DARLINGTON869(m): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
Legendary legend

T O DARLING

2 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Kryptomight(m): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
SHE HAS DONE WELL. KUDOS

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by KingTom(m): 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
KanwuliaExtra:
Time don reach o.
Make all these “titis” nor dey disgrace her and her age upandan for court. grin
You've said it all, a good performer knows when to vacate the stage grin

4 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Realtalk20: 3:06pm On Aug 09, 2022
It's about time ,she has achieved all there is to achieve in the sport .

This is the natural order of things, you come in when young you rise and achieve great things and entire. One doesn't need to be an old geriatric screaming émi lo kàn at old age angry

You don't see Serena screaming it's her turn to become World tennis federation president do you? Allow the young take over this is the natural order of things except in Nigeria

16 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Tayorshd2(m): 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2022
Y

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by dennisedache: 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2022
OYO undecided

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Bvlgari: 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2022
I will miss watching you play serena grin strong black beautiful woman

11 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by SavageResponse(m): 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2022
She don try jare, make she go rest.

She's a living legend!

1 Like

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by achimendy(m): 3:07pm On Aug 09, 2022

2 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by boldking(m): 3:08pm On Aug 09, 2022
He dey shake abi he no dey shake?

All way leads to Peter Obi because Obi no dey shake

3 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by oz4real83(m): 3:08pm On Aug 09, 2022
She came and took women tennis to another level, take a bow legend. No drama from Serena Williams unlike one old man in man United that has failed to understand the fact that there is a retirement date for everybody and his own has startedcheesy cheesy grin

3 Likes

Re: Serena Williams Set To Retire From Tennis Imminently by Kobicove(m): 3:08pm On Aug 09, 2022
Her name will always be written in gold in the history books of tennis! grin

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Victor Osimhen Is Now Bigger Than JJ Okocha After CAF Awards — Nigerian Journali / Kelechi Iheanacho: Striker Or Attacking Midfielder? / Is Ahmed Musa The Most Famous Nigerian Footballer? (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.