Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,893 members, 7,806,607 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns (16013 Views)

Subsidy: Nigeria Treasury Must Be Protected From Looters — Tinubu / Nigerian Airlines Sound Alarm Over ‘Existential Threat’ / Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Will Pay A Price, Borrowings May Continue – Femi Adesina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 12:00am On Aug 12, 2022
Mokason288:

PO still sounds berra than someone who believes it’s his turn to rule
Tinubu made that statement when he was campaigning to be APC flagbearer. He was campaigning to APC and not to Nigerians.

He felt it was his turn in the APC to rule. There's nothing wrong there.

When he starts campaigning proper, then you will see his manifesto.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 12:06am On Aug 12, 2022
AyeMoJuba:

Don't waste your energy on these day dreamers
No Igbo man will ever again rule this country.
It will NEVER happen

Mark my words.
An Igbo man will rule after Tinubu and the next Northerner.
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Mokason288(m): 3:02am On Aug 12, 2022
Perfectbeing:
Tinubu made that statement when he was campaigning to be APC flagbearer. He was campaigning to APC and not to Nigerians.

He felt it was his turn in the APC to rule. There's nothing wrong there.

When he starts campaigning proper, then you will see his manifesto.
Tinubu’s manifesto would say he will do this and that but when he gets there e eye go clear.

Everything looks easy when you're not there.

Same way Fashola thought a serious government will solve electricity problem in 6 months. But 7 years later and power problem still dey.

Tinubu is already pussssssssing on his body , I wonder what he will do if he ever gets there..

If***
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 3:11am On Aug 12, 2022
Mokason288:

Tinubu’s manifesto would say he will do this and that but when he gets there e eye go clear.

Everything looks easy when you're not there.

Same way Fashola thought a serious government will solve electricity problem in 6 months. But 7 years later and power problem still dey.

Tinubu is already pussssssssing on his body , I wonder what he will do if he ever gets there..

If***
k
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Mokason288(m): 3:31am On Aug 12, 2022
Perfectbeing:
k

Don’t you think Tinubu is already confused that’s why he is shying away from granting an interview
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Perfectbeing(m): 3:55am On Aug 12, 2022
Mokason288:

Don’t you think Tinubu is already confused that’s why he is shying away from granting an interview
k
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by omohayek: 9:06am On Aug 12, 2022
einsteine:

You say tribalism blinds me, on what evidence are you basing those spurious allegations? If your next retort includes such ad hominems, I will let you know right now that I would reply you with pure insults devoid of any form of decorum.

You launch into a strawman attack/argument, ignoring my basic point: any governor in charge of the CBN would have provided similar results because of the president in charge. C'est fini.
You accuse me of employing an ad hominem, but then you proceed to engage in the fallacy of argument by assertion: "CBN governors aren't independent because I say so". It's precisely because of motivated "reasoning" like this that I raised the point of tribalism - try as you might to argue otherwise, Emefiele has far more legal room to object to Buhari's demands than any other official in the Nigerian government, and yet you happily laid blame on others while seeking to skip him over. What possible reason could there be for such a manuever in the Nigerian context other than tribalism (or worse yet, nepotism)?

If Emefiele were a man of conscience and backbone, he could have simply refused to comply with Buhari's requests, gone public to make his case as to why Buhari's views were wrongheaded, and laid the onus at Buhari's door to fire him if he dared, with all the world's eyes on him. Any such firing would have required a lot of legal wrangling in the courts and the Senate, and as Emefiele has recently shown, he has no problem dragging the government to court when it suits his selfish purposes. But no, Emefiele had to play the craven houseboy, running around trying to please Buhari and his cronies like the late Isa Funtua, by facilitating the "round-tripping" scam for them at the expense of 200 million other Nigerians. Despite all this, I've seen far more outrage about this state of affairs directed at the likes of Kemi Adeosun or Zainab Ahmed, neither of whom has had a role with guaranteed independence and whose mandate is to ensure price stability. Why would that possibly be the case?

If you want to demonstrate that you're no tribalist, then the least you can do is be intellectually consistent. If Emefiele isn't to blame for the disastrous performance of the economy of the last 7 years, no one is. If you excuse him from responsibility because you think his statutory independence doesn't hold in reality, then you can't blame others who lack even that statutory independence to fall back on, however illusory it may be in practice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by Mr5050(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2022
Make them continue, Peter Obi is coming, from June next year all of you looters starting from CBN governor na nga nga .
Re: Fuel Subsidy: Nigeria Facing Existential Threat, World Bank Warns by grandstar(m): 7:56pm On Aug 16, 2022
omohayek:

You accuse me of employing an ad hominem, but then you proceed to engage in the fallacy of argument by assertion: "CBN governors aren't independent because I say so". It's precisely because of motivated "reasoning" like this that I raised the point of tribalism - try as you might to argue otherwise, Emefiele has far more legal room to object to Buhari's demands than any other official in the Nigerian government, and yet you happily laid blame on others while seeking to skip him over. What possible reason could there be for such a manuever in the Nigerian context other than tribalism (or worse yet, nepotism)?

If Emefiele were a man of conscience and backbone, he could have simply refused to comply with Buhari's requests, gone public to make his case as to why Buhari's views were wrongheaded, and laid the onus at Buhari's door to fire him if he dared, with all the world's eyes on him. Any such firing would have required a lot of legal wrangling in the courts and the Senate, and as Emefiele has recently shown, he has no problem dragging the government to court when it suits his selfish purposes. But no, Emefiele had to play the craven houseboy, running around trying to please Buhari and his cronies like the late Isa Funtua, by facilitating the "round-tripping" scam for them at the expense of 200 million other Nigerians. Despite all this, I've seen far more outrage about this state of affairs directed at the likes of Kemi Adeosun or Zainab Ahmed, neither of whom has had a role with guaranteed independence and whose mandate is to ensure price stability. Why would that possibly be the case?

If you want to demonstrate that you're no tribalist, then the least you can do is be intellectually consistent. If Emefiele isn't to blame for the disastrous performance of the economy of the last 7 years, no one is. If you excuse him from responsibility because you think his statutory independence doesn't hold in reality, then you can't blame others who lack even that statutory independence to fall back on, however illusory it may be in practice.

Yes, Emefiele lacks the backbone to tell off the president. In addition, it's shocking that no politician has dared to demand an end to the president's meddling.

Do the governors realise that simply allowing the exchange rate to be market reflective would increase their monthly allocation by at least 10%? It would also boost economic growth which would also boost IGR

Only the Edo state government raised an alarm regarding the printing of money by the CBN. This greatly embarrassed the government. An outcry is needed in respect of the fx policy, one strong enough to effect a change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Audio Of $3M Conversation Between Lawan & Otedola (Part 2) / What I Told INEC About Elections In Zamfara – AGF Malami / Just In: Guber Election : El-rufai Wins Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.