Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,453 members, 7,801,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:05 AM

Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options (18547 Views)

Insecurity: Tension Mounts In Imo, Abia, Rivers / Lagos Assembly Seals Sacked Lawmakers’ Offices As Crisis Worsens / Primaries: APC Reps Weigh Options, Suspend Planned Defections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by MannyOnye: 6:37am On Aug 11, 2022
Amid tensions, some elders of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, yesterday, intervened in the crisis rocking the party by giving approval for the constitution of the presidential campaign council.

Vanguard gathered that while some PDP leaders are pushing for the party to wield the big stick against those engaged in anti-party activities, other leaders are more favourably disposed to ongoing reconciliatory efforts.

It was learned in Abuja yesterday that the party’s presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, and other organs of the party, including the National Working Committee, NWC, the Caucus and the Board of Trustees, BoT, have agreed to go ahead with the constitution of the party’s presidential campaign council.

This came on a day former Deputy National Chairman of the PDP, Chief Olabode George, urged the PDP National Chair-man, Senator Iyorchia Ayu, to honourably resign.

George, however, urged Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State not to join the All Progressives Congress, APC, despite misgivings over the choice of running mate to the PDP presidential candidate.

Party elders wade in, mull options

A top ranking member of the party, who is familiar with the issue but elected to speak in confidence, said: “We held a major consultative meeting on Tuesday and I can assure you that the membership of the council will be announced in the next two weeks.

“Campaigns start next month; we want to be up and running before this happens. We have been reaching out to our members nationwide, including our respected leaders in Rivers State.

“Details of our next steps are being worked out. You know the PDP, being a very large family, has a lot of tendencies and individuals and groups have egos that require massaging. We are doing that.

“There are those pushing for us to wield the big stick but the majority are more favourably disposed to ongoing reconciliatory efforts because we are in opposition; we need everyone more than the ruling party.”

Another party leader, who spoke on grounds of anonymity, said: “The PDP has dealt with bigger challenges; this one too has come and it will go. Governor Wike, whose name is being mentioned anytime our current challenges are cited, is a party man, he has said it himself.

“He has other party leaders who respect him and look up to him to protect their political interests. Whatsoever those interests may be, he feels an obligation to protect those who stuck out their necks for him during his bid for the ticket.

“It is the pursuit of this that has delayed us till now but we must make progress; we have an election to win and there will be positions of responsibilities to be given out. It is the patience component that is the issue at the moment.”

Substantial progress is being made — Atiku’s camp

When contacted, Mazi Paul Ibe, Media Adviser to the PDP Presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, said: “Substantial progress is being made with regards to resolving outstanding issues. My principal has assured the party and all members that everyone will be carried along. That commitment has not changed.”

We’ll resolve crisis soon—PDP leader

Also speaking, a top PDP leader told Vanguard that leaders are making moves to resolve the crisis.

The PDP leader, who spoke in confidence, said: “We are making efforts to resolve the crisis.

All I know is that Wike will not leave the party. As regards inviting APC leaders to commission projects in his state, he has said it before that he would invite leaders across party lines to commission projects in Rivers. I can assure you that the crisis within the party will be resolved soon.”

Ayu should resign honourably —Bode George

Commenting on the crisis rocking the party, George, who addressed newsmen in Lagos, insisted that Ayu should honour his words by stepping down as national chairman of the party.

He, however, urged Governor Wike not to join APC, despite misgivings over the choice of Atiku’s running mate, saying “you don’t win all the time.”

Heis words: “In democracy, we must talk and exchange ideas. We must agree and disagree without actually being disagreeable. Any organisation with human beings will always have issues but the ability to manage that crisis will be the determining factor.

“I want to appeal to all sides to sheathe their swords. Nigerians are waiting for us and we must convince them that we can manage the resources of the country in an equitable manner.

“They should all cease fire. Statements of arrogance and innuendos that can destroy the party should stop forthwith.

“Zoning has sustained our democracy for this long because it’s the concept that established our party.

“My plea is that all should cool temper because if we don’t get it right this time around, this nation will never forgive us. Nigerians are waiting for the PDP.”

On 2023 general election, George said it was not yet uhuru.

While expressing worry over the security situation in the country, he said: “My fear is that if the insecurity continues, who will be bold enough to campaign or cast votes during election?

“These are serious issues we must consider. Are we thinking about it? It’s scary. How will people go out to vote on the day of election?”

Wike, one man balancing force —Mimiko

Meanwhile, former Ondo State governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, yesterday, commended Governor Wike’s boldness to lawfully speak truth to power, saying he has averted bids by desperate politicians to force Nigeria into a one-party state.

Mimiko said this while performing the flag-off of Rivers State project for dualisation of Azikiwe-Iloabuchi Road in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

Noting that through bold legal challenges, Wike has deepened national consciousness by combating the defective federal system towards actualising true federalism.

Mimiko said: “Beyond the self-evident physical transformation, you (Wike) have stood as a bulwark against those sworn to emasculating the main opposition party, all in their bid to force a one-party state down the throats of Nigerians.

“You were at one point virtually a one man countervailing force, defending and protecting our dear PDP. You have also, through bold legal challenges, deepened the national consciousness on the defects in the running of our defective federal system.”

Hoping Wike remains committed to the struggle to entrench true federalism for just development across ethnic divides and religious persuasions in Nigeria, the former governor said: “Our party, the PDP, a party for which you have laboured so much, seems saddled with the historical duty of forging this unity, a unity premised on truth, equity and justice, a unity upon which rescuing Nigeria from unsatisfactory performance of the past seven years will be built.

Hoping Wike remains committed to the struggle to entrench true federalism for just development across ethnic divides and religious persuasions in Nigeria, the former governor said: “Our party, the PDP, a party for which you have laboured so much, seems saddled with the historical duty of forging this unity, a unity premised on truth, equity and justice, a unity upon which rescuing Nigeria from unsatisfactory performance of the past seven years will be built.

“It is a mission that must be accomplished, a mission for which you are specially positioned and favoured to play a major role, a mission that must be subscribed to by all lovers of our country.”

Speaking on the project, Wike said: “As a man who respects leaders, I have to honour them by making sure this road is awarded and completed within six months.

“This is the last project here in Port Harcourt I’m going to embark upon before I leave office. All promises I have made in Port Harcourt, I have fulfilled. Let somebody come and tell me which one I have not fulfilled. “Because you voted for us, we too will work for you by providing basic infrastructure. That is what politics is all about. It is about talking and doing, not giving of excuses

“No right-thinking person in this state would want to mingle or identify with such people that would make promises without fulfilling them.

“Our campaign has always been operation show your report card. We are showing our report card. Tell anybody who comes to you to show his report card.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/08/tension-mounts-in-pdp-as-crisis-worsens-elders-weigh-options/

3 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by saintopus(m): 6:43am On Aug 11, 2022
MannyOnye:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/08/tension-mounts-in-pdp-as-crisis-worsens-elders-weigh-options/

PDP made a huge blunder. They had the best chance of coming back to power but they didn't utilize it.

It would have been an easy one if they had taken or insisted on a Southern candidate.

For now BAT remain the best option

47 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by bennybuhari: 7:04am On Aug 11, 2022
Bode George wants to replace Ayu as National chairman. But can he lead PDP campaign with his age,

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by LordMangekyo(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2022
Labor party is there. There's nothing to weigh

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by phransix2: 7:04am On Aug 11, 2022
I don hear Wike part of the story... But wetin dem do Wike no good oh....

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Chidexter(m): 7:04am On Aug 11, 2022
When will this tension evolve into High Tension. Nothing concern me and retarded events from thieves in both APC and PDP. Obi Datti Ahmed 2023 is my target. Nigeria needs a breathe of fresh air

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by soft101: 7:05am On Aug 11, 2022
The want to finally tear the umbrella?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by frndfghtr(m): 7:05am On Aug 11, 2022
Tribal, regional, and burn to rule ambition have taking away the chances PDP in 2023,
We in south east and south south are PDP and APGA b4, but the coming out of PO have turn us to LP, we gave PDP 95% in 2019, only rivers pdp vote cancel all western pdp vote,

5 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Quest7777: 7:05am On Aug 11, 2022

Enough of evil Brooms & Umbrellas. Let's vote for Human Beings this time around...

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Realtalk20: 7:06am On Aug 11, 2022
PDP should have zoned this to the south ...
Now see the Crisis they are in .

Coast is clear for Peter Obi in Aso rock now

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:06am On Aug 11, 2022
These guys
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by DrAkpamudehe: 7:06am On Aug 11, 2022
PDP will prevail. Crisis is normal

Tinubu and obi Urchins can go to hell

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by EnglandAmaka(f): 7:06am On Aug 11, 2022
Peter Obi is the only one, among several Presidential Hopeful today, who didn't contribute in bringing Buhari to power.

That alone says a lot about his ability to take good decisions.
DrAkpamudehe:

PDP will prevail. Crisis is normal

Tinubu and obi Urchins can go to hell

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Chidexter(m): 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Realtalk20:
PDP should have zoned this to the south ...
Now see the Criss they are in .

Coast is clear for Peter Obi in Aso rock now
Exactly bro forward ever

6 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by onuman: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Which elders?
Who de asleep when Abubakar Atiku jumped into the presidential race again in 2022, at his age? Atiku would abandon PDP to move to opposition party and returned as it pleased him, like a spoilt child.
How did Atiku become so bold to believe that a Fulani, Atiku, can succeed another Fulani, Buhari, as president of contemporay Nigeria?
Did Atiku not know of the Federal character principle enshrined in the Constitution to enable Nigeria's diverse groups to participate in the country's development process, including participation in holding the apex political leadership of the country?

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by opalu: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Imagine if Peter Obi didnt leave that sinking PDP ship. By now we wouldn't have had any 3rd Force

14 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Obakoolex(m): 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
grin when God decides to scatter their tent

3 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Xscape047: 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Oyyana
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by MrPADDY(m): 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Ok
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by YourNextLevel(m): 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
Let the enemies scatter by fire by force

2 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Kingpele(m): 7:07am On Aug 11, 2022
They should scatter patapata. a wise person see trouble and avoid it but a fool attract unnecessary trouble upon himself..those who left pdp and Apc before their primary elections have shown themselves as wise people.. may God cause this two evil parties to reap what is due to them in accordance to the manner they ruined our economy from 1999 till date.. there is time for everything time to work and time to rest. BAT worked very hard, is time for him to rest including Atiku..these two men are not running their businesses personally from day to day but have handed it over to younger associates to run it for them yet they want to rule Nigeria on daily basis

2 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Coolsperm: 7:08am On Aug 11, 2022
Anything But not Tinubu and his useless ticket is ok
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Promisesmiling(m): 7:09am On Aug 11, 2022
Wike don see 100, 99 no dey move am again, see all the kasala wey one man the cause for P.D.P.

Anyways as long as confusion dey the house of my opposition no Wam.

This 2023 even if P.D.P and A.P.C change their name to MICROSOFT them no fit still EXCEL.

Peter Obi For President

3 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by 96ACE: 7:09am On Aug 11, 2022
grin
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Dididrumz(m): 7:09am On Aug 11, 2022
All for the Good of the best Candidate Peter Obi.
Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Thisisanfield: 7:09am On Aug 11, 2022
I didn't read the whole epistle , rather I was scrolling to see if they won't mention Wike's name. They proved me right....Wike is really hitting them

However it is.. I and my household remain Obidient and useful to the call.

2 Likes

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by WonderManly(m): 7:10am On Aug 11, 2022
I have nothing to say. Just because it's too long. I can't read it. But, anyway...

Re: Tension Mounts In PDP As Crisis Worsens, Elders Weigh Options by Seetto: 7:11am On Aug 11, 2022
Chidexter:
When will this tension evolve into High Tension. Nothing concern me and retarded events from thieves in both APC and PDP. Obi Datti Ahmed 2023 is my target. Nigeria needs a breathe of fresh air
My eye Dey pain me, no be the same party obi contest VP and decamp from two months ago, when Wike open eye for am, so obi na thief wey port from PDP.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi Reacts To Stampede, Death Of Students In Nasarawa Univ, Keffi / Why Ekiti Speaker And Deputy Were Impeached / Buhari Appoints Abike-dabiri SSA On Diaspora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.