Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. (1515 Views)

Diezani: Three More Ex-ministers Risk Arrest For Graft, Money Laundering / Dogara Resists APC Leaders' Move to Appoint Gbajabiamila as Majority Leader / Stop Drinking Free Beer,know Your Neigbours: Fashola Urges Lagosians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by tundewoods(m): 5:57am On Aug 16, 2007

I stumbled upon this interesting piece of information yesterday night while watching news on Lagos Television (LTV). Gov.Babatunde Fashola categorically denied claims that he had instructed police in Lagos state to carry out the ridicoulous act of arresting people on grounds of indecent dressing.

This lays to rest a previous thread started on Nairaland that stated that Fashola was behind the scourge of arrest  base on indecent dressing.I guess this proves that Fashola was not even away of this new arrest trend adopted by the police.

Well i just hope Gov. Fashola will go a step futher and tell folks to resist police intimidation in totality. How on earth can a police stop an innocent citizen gently walking along a lagos sub urb nad request to search him even to the point of checking the content of his or her phone.Total Crap !!!

Gov. Fashola's resistance call is a right step in the right direction.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by deor03(m): 6:59am On Aug 16, 2007
a link to this jist will give it more credibility
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by tundewoods(m): 9:26am On Aug 16, 2007
As said earlier in my post,i watched it on TV however if i do find the piece on any nigerian newspaper website i will certainly post the link here.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 16, 2007
Now they will ask for a link but if it is somethin negative they will insult the man without getting a link, like in the case of the Benue rumour. Double standards.
Forget some group of people in Nairaland they no wan hear anything good about Nigeria or Nigerians na only to complain and abuse they sabi
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by tundewoods(m): 9:58am On Aug 16, 2007
@ Aisha 2

I feel you my dear,however i guess sometimes people want to be convinced beyond reasonable doubt.
How's Abuja today ?
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Nobody: 10:06am On Aug 16, 2007
I am fine abuja is fine. They want to be convincced beyound reasonable doubt when its something good but when it is bad they dont care about being convinced they can jump into conclusions
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Nobody: 11:02am On Aug 16, 2007
Indecent dressing arrests: Count us out —Lagos govt
•Lawyers react

OLATUBOSUN SOWEMIMO- Chanpion newspapers

LAGOS State government yesterday dissociated itself from the arrest and detention of ladies over indecent dressing even as lawyers insisted that those arrested should be charged to court immediately to avoid in-fringing on their fundamental human rights.

A statement by the state government said it has no business with those who expose their bodies.

The statement which quoted Governor Babatunde Fashola (SAN) of clarifying this at a special security council meeting in Alausa Ikeja yesterday, also said the Commissioners of Police in the state, Mr Muhammed Abubakar claimed that he had never given any directive to any of his men to arrest any lady for indecent dressing.

Abubakar urged any one harassed to report such to his office.

Daily Champion recalls that the police had recently arrested hundreds of ladies at different locations in Lagos, either for "wandering" or dressing indecently, but the victims were yet to be charged to court even after days of arresting them.

Human rights lawyer-activist Festus Keyamo yesterday told Daily Champion that though, indecent exposure is an offence against public morality according to the criminal code, arresting offenders is legal.

Likewise was the view of Bamidele Aturu, another human rights activist and Lagos-based lawyer who said indecent dressing is an offence in law, even as he clarified that there was no longer any offence like "wandering" in Nigeria of today.

Aturu also said police could arrest anybody, especially ladies who indecently expose their bodies in the public but they should not use that as an opportunity to molest and assault ladies in the name of detaining them.

Also, Ikeja branch chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Niyi Idowu noted that though there is a clear difference between criminality and immorality, indecent exposure of bodies especially by ladies is a criminal offence, but arrests in this regard must be conducted lawfully.

But, the lawyers maintained that in order to strike a balance, the police must not detain suspects for more than 24 hours before charging them in court.

"Since that indecent dressing is an offence in law, then it would be right to say that arresting offenders is legal. But that could also engender another sort of illegality, which is keeping suspects in detention beyond 24 hours. Anyone arrested must be charged in court," Keyamo insisted.

"In as much as the government, through the police, wants to rid the society of indecent exposures especially with ladies, the fundamental rights of such people must also be accordingly respected. The position of the law is clear on that," said Idowu.

"Whereas it is a crime to expose your body indecently, it is also a crime to detain an offender for more than the prescribed period of detention.

The police should also prosecute suspects quickly in order to strike a balance.

"The detainees must not be seen by the police as money making objects or tools to satisfy their sexual urges," Aturu stressed, responding to allegations by suspects that they were being sexually molested.

He, however, charged all religious institutions to preach morals into their youths as regards descent appearances.

Some victims had on Tuesday alleged that police officers had arbitrarily raped and extorted money from them on the pretext of assisting them to get bail.

@topic
The government and the police chief in Lagos has denied they gave orders for the arrests. So in this case, who is lying? even when its legal to arrest people with indecent dressing.
Why did Fashola deny such directives he must have given. Does it mean he has to bow to public outcry even when his directives are right?
The only bad thing about the arrest was that those ladies were not charged to court within 24 hours and some accused the police of sexually assaulting them.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Afam(m): 11:22am On Aug 16, 2007
The title of this thread is misleading and it is not fair.

How can this

tundewoods:

I stumbled upon this interesting piece of information yesterday night while watching news on Lagos Television (LTV). Gov.Babatunde Fashola categorically denied claims that he had instructed police in Lagos state to carry out the ridicoulous act of arresting people on grounds of indecent dressing.

This lays to rest a previous thread started on Nairaland that stated that Fashola was behind the scourge of arrest base on indecent dressing.I guess this proves that Fashola was not even away of this new arrest trend adopted by the police.

equate to the title of this thread?

tundewoods:

Well i just hope Gov. Fashola will go a step futher and tell folks to resist police intimidation in totality. How on earth can a police stop an innocent citizen gently walking along a lagos sub urb nad request to search him even to the point of checking the content of his or her phone.Total Crap !!!

Gov. Fashola's resistance call is a right step in the right direction.

Can we see any reference to Fashola's call for resisting arrest lest innocent Lagosians are gunned down in the process based on what they may believe the governor said?

While we do all we can to fight injustices in the land we must remember to state things as they are.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by tundewoods(m): 11:48am On Aug 16, 2007
Oops ! Sorry i forgot to talk about where the Gov. called for lagosians to challenge (resist) the police arrest based on in decent dressing in the starting thread.

Lets put it this way,I'm not a journalist and i dont plan to become one.I am quoting newscasters & reports on LTV and Silverber Television.

Here is how the News caster at Lagos Television put it and i quote .

"Gov Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state has called upon citizens to resist any attempt of arrest on thier part due to indecent dressing."

Meanwhile Silverbird Television's Newscaster words are thus.

" Lagos state Governor, Babatunde Fashola has called upon Lagosians to challenge any form of police arrest due to indecent dressing"

Challenge & Resist : Use of to words that mean practically the same thing,stand up for your right !!!!

So the point remains that i'm not the one responsible for news.Im just relaying the information and who says we cant challenge the police ?
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Afam(m): 12:17pm On Aug 16, 2007
Thanks for the update, at least one can reference the governor when challenging the police on indecent dressing arrest even though I strongly believe that the way our women dress these days leaves very very little to be imagined as regards what they effortlessly show abi na advertise to the public.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by mi1(m): 12:45pm On Aug 16, 2007
hi Aisha.

plz i want to knw ya more, cos most of ur posts r very objective n cool,
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Peegee(m): 2:12pm On Aug 16, 2007
Hello Aisha,
I have been reading your posts and find you inspiring. I will like to know you a little more. I am also a development worker living in Ilorin. I hope you can send a mail to golayiwole@yahoo.com. We'll pick it up from there.
By the way, Manchester Rules Here too.
Peegee.
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by tundewoods(m): 7:09pm On Aug 16, 2007
@ Aisha 2

Good lord all of a sudden you seem to have Nairaland Admirers that are indirectly asking for your hand in relationship,Well i hope i can play the father of the bride. grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Urges Lagosian To Resists Police Arrest For Indecent Dressing. by Rich4god(m): 6:06am On Aug 06, 2011
These are the type of work the NPF like doing "harassing innocent citizens". They wont go and map out strategy to reduce crime rate in the country. Am sick of them,

(1) (Reply)

Presidential Air Crew Grumble In Saudi / Death Of Soldiers On Peacekeeping Mission Worries Government ! / Nigeria's Political Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.