Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,441 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet (2628 Views)

Rapper Vector Writes Open Apology Letter To His Former Record Label / Bracket - International Baby [VIDEO] / Video: Bracket – Beautiful Baby Ft. Flavour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by emofine(f): 11:19pm On Aug 05, 2011
Whenever I listen to their songs in the introduction they proceed to give a little shout out to their record label, "ape planet" I find it rather odd and a little unsettling considering the connotations behind that term embarassed

I don't know if the producers are black, white whatever but they're sponsoring and advertising a black group so I find the rationale behind that name dubious undecided
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by Rossikk(m): 12:57am On Aug 06, 2011
Same thoughts here. Utterly ludicrous name. cool
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by mikuz(m): 1:10pm On Aug 06, 2011
"Ape planet,dekumzy eh,peter and paul dem don kolo eh" hehe
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by eldee(m): 2:20pm On Aug 06, 2011
So you black people have decided to take the word 'ape' as your middle names now huh?

1 Like

Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by rapjunkie(m): 4:03pm On Aug 06, 2011
eldee:

So you black people have decided to take the word 'ape' as your middle names now huh?

I wonder o!. . . . grin grin shocked shocked grin grin
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by emofine(f): 4:43pm On Aug 06, 2011
eldee:

Ape is not my middle name. smiley There are certain depictions due to previous (and at times present) portrayal that serves to demote a particular demographic. There are meanings attached with titles; some subliminal some conspicuous.

I doubt Ja rule and his colleagues were murderers yet their former record label "Murder INC" was subject to much scrutiny. The production team renamed the label since some viewed the title as glorifying death and could possibly be misconstrued by impressionable youths. Subsequently the team had to go back to the drawing board in search of an appropriate name.

The name "Ape Planet" used to represent a black group just baffles me not because I have an attachment to the term but solely because of the connotations. If the label was called Slave Ship, Golliwog etc (even though I reject those terms) it is not at all comfortable seeing people from my demographic, perhaps unconcerned about the poignant baggage of such names and wearing/advertising it with pride whether sub-consciously or not. I don't believe it's in good taste - that's just my opinion however cool
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by rapjunkie(m): 4:54pm On Aug 06, 2011
see grammer. . . . , grin grin grin
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by amblors(m): 5:08pm On Aug 06, 2011
the grammar heavy no b small.
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by eldee(m): 5:50pm On Aug 06, 2011
@Emofine

I fear you grammar sha, but as long as you no be Okotie, I no fear you as Tha Suspect (Oh I dey suspect that name too). grin grin

Murder Inc, was simple . . . Ja Rule wanted to tell people he was a killer. Same as Death Row.
This is not the same, stop putting anything into this, there are no connotations, it's a simple name . . . stop creating a problem where there isn't any.

You Golliwog people, what next, I shouldn't buy a pet chimp because of the 'connotations'?? A girl shouldn't buy a female dog because a couple of ignorant people call her a [b]b[/b]it[b]c[/b]h, I shouldn't go into agriculture because some Americans where slaves on farms? Come on.
Re: The Name Behind Bracket's Record Label: Ape Planet by emofine(f): 6:55pm On Aug 06, 2011
my pipul sorry oh! I no wan una kon dey pick race because of grammar oh, please that ona na small shakara - ehen I feel more comfortable to dey yarn pijin sef grin

eldee:

@Emofine

I fear you grammar sha, but as long as you no be Okotie, I no fear you as Tha Suspect (Oh I dey suspect that name too). grin grin

Murder Inc, was simple . . . Ja Rule wanted to tell people he was a killer. Same as Death Row.

hmm news to me, well we'll discard that example then grin

This is not the same, stop putting anything into this, there are no connotations, it's a simple name . . . stop creating a problem where there isn't any.

You Golliwog people, what next, I shouldn't buy a pet chimp because of the 'connotations'?? A girl shouldn't buy a female dog because a couple of ignorant people call her a [b]b[/b]it[b]c[/b]h, I shouldn't go into agriculture because some Americans where slaves on farms? Come on.

eldee I hear you. I will admit sha that I have a habit of being overtly analytical. I do to tease out meanings but as they say "there's a reason for everything" therefore I wanna surmise "everything" however I'm not seeking to create a problem. The scenarios  you have given are understood and fair however none of the individuals in your mini sketch are being represented/advertised by former derrogative titles. I understand that nit-picking at certain former grievances can be debilitating yet at the same time one has to be conscious not to cement stereotypes especially those pertaining to said individual.

I don tok my own finish cool

P.S. why una kon dey suspect pesin name nau? you are the second person to tell me that. Abeg see how many people come owe me money oh, guilty concious dey haunt am now grin tongue

(Oh I dey suspect that name too)

(1) (Reply)

LYRICS: Burna Boy – Dangote / "i'm Not A Star, I'm A Bigger Plant Than Jupiter" - Lets Do It Here: ! / Shallipopi Launches Record Label, Plutomania Records, With Two Signees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.