Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,987 members, 7,799,384 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn (32168 Views)

Finance Minister Zainab, Soludo, Peterside Advocate Fuel Subsidy Removal / Tinubu Vs Osinbajo: Lagos, Ogun Likely Decided, Battle Line Drawn In Others / Red Line Drawn Against South Africa - Onyeama, Foreign Affairs Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agugbadin: 2:32pm On Aug 19, 2022
Who cares, posterity will judge them and their boss for what they did to Nigeria.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:37pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:

I am questioning the 1999 constitution within the context of current resource control agitations , conflict of VAT etc. God did not write the constitution. Man did. I am questionings its fundamental basis

If you do not understand ask questions politely , Do not jump in talking like a fool.

Your response is like someone typing from a madhouse.

In your exclusive tomfoolery, you forgot that you said the telecoms tax should be shared to the states. While the state does not license telecoms companies.

Oya explain how a state that does not license telecoms companies can be taxing them for services they render. This is tantamount to saying states should tax media broadcasters for services they render when it is NBC that licenses broadcasting firms.
It is not a question of resource control like VAT for example. But you're too ignorant to know and I understand.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Blackdisciple(m): 2:38pm On Aug 19, 2022
Both should be arrested for extorting Nigerians..
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aestake: 2:40pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
My issue is why should this tax go to the FG and not the states
It shouldn't go to anyone. All are criminals.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 2:42pm On Aug 19, 2022
aestake:

It shouldn't go to anyone. All are criminals.
Well I was thinking long term and constitutionally not just about today but in terms of resource control
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 2:43pm On Aug 19, 2022
Agboriotejoye:

Your response is like someone typing from a madhouse.

In your exclusive tomfoolery, you forgot that you said the telecoms tax should be shared to the states. While the state does not license telecoms companies.

Oya explain how a state that does not license telecoms companies can be taxing them for services they render. This is tantamount to saying states should tax media broadcasters for services they render when it is NBC that licenses broadcasting firms.
It is not a question of resource control like VAT for example. But you're too ignorant to know and I understand.
I said tax should be shared? If you cannot provide evidence just shut up and go away
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agboriotejoye(m): 2:49pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
I said tax should be shared? If you cannot provide evidence just shut up and go away

Stop being an halfwit. It looks poor on you.

States cannot collect telecoms tax because they don't issue telecoms licenses. End of story. Get a proper education before you start comparing apples to oranges. I won't be surprised if your likes wake up on a Sunday and ask for states to collect customs duties. Doubly dumb
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 2:56pm On Aug 19, 2022
Agboriotejoye:

Stop being an halfwit. It looks poor on you.

States cannot collect telecoms tax because they don't issue telecoms licenses. End of story. Get a proper education before you start comparing apples to oranges. I won't be surprised if your likes wake up on a Sunday and ask for states to collect customs duties. Doubly dumb
Well I am the wrong person to try to bully

I was merely questioning the status quo as enshrined in the constitution
You sais I said revenues should be shared I did not so were you lying or mistaken
Your explanation that states cannot collect taxes because they do not issue licenses is superficial

States do not issue Driving licences but collect taxes from drivers

The Telecomms value chain is extensive e.g Local governments may collect tazes froms Masts and so on

States do not issue radio licences but can tax radio stations
Bullying is a poor substitute for debate. You are a cretin and not in a position to engage me. You have made a mistake. You certainly lack the depth or cerebral infrastructure for that
The reason states cannot collect this particular tax has nothing to do with licence and there is nothing to say they cannot. Essentially I am saying they should test it in the courts

Once again show where I said anything should be shared or shut up and crawl back into your slimy hole

We operate the same system as the US. Licences are issued by the FG in exactly he same way as ours and states can tax such things
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by TheGift: 3:08pm On Aug 19, 2022
funshint:
This woman together with the Minister of Justice(Malami) should be arrested. They should be locked up in prison and the keys thrown into the lagoon. Very corrupt and heartless administration angry

She is more brainless than heartless, She only does what she is told by the powers that be. She obviously lacks initiative especially when you compare Her to Her predecessor.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aestake: 3:22pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
Well I was thinking long term and constitutionally not just about today but in terms of resource control
Ok but for now nothing. Governors steal all the funds.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 3:24pm On Aug 19, 2022
aestake:

Ok but for now nothing. Governors steal all the funds.
We have to believe that the rain will stop. My point is about the principle. If such tax is to be collected let it be domiciled where it is collected and if it is to be stolen let it be stolen locally rather than in Abuja
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aestake: 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
We have to believe that the rain will stop. My point is about the principle. If such tax is to be collected let it be domiciled where it is collected and if it is to be stolen let it be stolen locally rather than in Abuja
Toh... where I live roads, their rehabilitation, water, education with loans and grants, electricity, housing etc are done with taxes...now I am sending money to put solar light in my village. That's govt job! So if Abuja isn't decentralized, people will be providing for the basic needs while govts give excuses and still want to remain in office.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Viicfuntop(f): 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2022
fineboynl:
how is this thing prepared? Is it somethings like semo?

Hi. It is easier to prepare and lighter and of course sweet.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:47pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
Well I am the wrong person to try to bully

I was merely questioning the status quo as enshrined in the constitution
You sais I said revenues should be shared I did not so were you lying or mistaken
Your explanation that states cannot collect taxes because they do not issue licenses is superficial

States do not issue Driving licences but collect taxes from drivers

The Telecomms value chain is extensive e.g Local governments may collect tazes froms Masts and so on

States do not issue radio licences but can tax radio stations
Bullying is a poor substitute for debate. You are a cretin and not in a position to engage me. You have made a mistake. You certainly lack the depth or cerebral infrastructure for that
The reason states cannot collect this particular tax has nothing to do with licence and there is nothing to say they cannot. Essentially I am saying they should test it in the courts

Once again show where I said anything should be shared or shut up and crawl back into your slimy hole

We operate the same system as the US. Licences are issued by the FG in exactly he same way as ours and states can tax such things

Stop playing the dimwit. I attacked your point that telecoms tax should be collected by states. That's what I meant by shared. In your warped logic, states that do not grant telecoms licenses should be collecting tax for the operation of the licenses.
It is like saying you should pay your child's school fees into a church account because the church owns the school. It is dumb. You should pay into the account of the school not the church.
It also ignorant to compare telecoms licenses with driving licenses. For your info, the states collect taxes for vehicle registration and road worthiness because they operate a vehicle inspectorate. Driving licenses are issued by the FG and the fees are paid into FG account. So you see that your point is totally out of order as the two are totally different services. Note also that once you pay in one state, you are covered in all other states. If we are to go by your logic, FG should be collected vehicle particulars fees and road worthiness since most vehicles move on roads that transverse states.

Local govts taxing telecoms companies have also been deemed illegal. It is only states that collect taxes from telecoms companies for land usage and environmental issues. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 4:04pm On Aug 19, 2022
Agboriotejoye:

Stop playing the dimwit. I attacked your point that telecoms licenses should be collected by states. That's what I meant by shared. In your warped logic, states that do not grant telecoms licenses should be collecting tax for the operation of the licenses.
It is like saying you should pay your child's school fees into a church account because the church owns the school. It is dumb. You should pay into the account of the school not the church.
It also ignorant to compare telecoms licenses with driving licenses. For your info, the states collect taxes for vehicle registration and road worthiness because they operate a vehicle inspectorate. Driving licenses are issued by the FG and the fees are paid into FG account. So you see that your point is totally out of order as the two are totally different services. Note also that once you pay in one state, you are covered in all other states. If we are to go by your logic, FG should be collected vehicle particulars fees and road worthiness since most vehicles move on roads that transverse states.

Local govts taxing telecoms companies have also been deemed illegal. It is only states that collect taxes from telecoms companies for land usage and environmental issues. Stop comparing apples to oranges.
Please show where I made the point that telecoms licenses could be collected by states. I never even talked about that. Polemic is a poor substitute for logic and lies will not help either.
Spare us the village proverbs of children's school fees. Articulate your thinking without resort to crude proverbs. You are just jumping from one lie to another attributing things I never said to me

If you did not understand my point ask questions and do not constitute yourself into a n unruly canine.

We operate exactly the same system as the US the Federal government issues licences and it does not stop states taxing telecomm activities.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by ArewaNorth: 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2022
christejames:
This goes to show the level of high handedness in this administration, proving that each person under this rudderless administration does things as they please undecided undecided

Nigeria is on autopilot!

My Joy is that ObiDatti is coming for rescue.

This has proven that the FEC is functioning irrespective of wether the input is poor or good from some of the ministers. Such clashes show that the Ministers are fully aware of the consequences the laws made by other ministries may have on his/her Ministry.

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:18pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:
Please show where I made the point that telecoms licenses could be collected by states. I never even talked about that. Polemic is a poor substitute for logic and lies will not help either.
Spare us the village proverbs of children's school fees. Articulate your thinking without resort to crude proverbs. You are just jumping from one lie to another attributing things I never said to me

If you did not understand my point ask questions and do not constitute yourself into a n unruly canine.

We operate exactly the same system as the US the Federal government issues licences and it does not stop states taxing telecomm activities.

Telecoms tax I mean. It was a typo. My point is the telecoms license fees and other regulations is federally administered. VAT is being collected on telecoms services too. You can make an argument for why the VAT should be collected by the states since the consumption of the services is being done state by state. But to make an argument that license and operation fees should be paid to the states is folly and ignorance which seems to be well domiciled within you.
I gave an illustration not a proverb. You seem to be confused on so many things. Pity
Your argument on states taxing telecoms activities is vague. Explain the activities the states in the US tax that is same with that of the FG tax on telecoms services in Nigeria. I hope you can know the difference between VAT or Sales tax and tax based on operation of services.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Reference(m): 4:33pm On Aug 19, 2022
Is this the VAT already being collected or another tax on top of that?
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Ijaya123: 4:37pm On Aug 19, 2022
funshint:
This woman together with the Minister of Justice(Malami) should be arrested. They should be locked up in prison and the keys thrown into the lagoon. Very corrupt and heartless administration angry

The CBN governor, Godwin Emefailure should be included too.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2022
Agboriotejoye:

Telecoms tax I mean. It was a typo. My point is the telecoms license fees and other regulations is federally administered. VAT is being collected on telecoms services too. You can make an argument for why the VAT should be collected by the states since the consumption of the services is being done state by state. But to make an argument that license and operation fees should be paid to the states is folly and ignorance which seems to be well domiciled within you.
I gave an illustration not a proverb. You seem to be confused on so many things. Pity
Your argument on states taxing telecoms activities is vague. Explain the activities the states in the US tax that is same with that of the FG tax on telecoms services in Nigeria. I hope you can know the difference between VAT or Sales tax and tax based on operation of services.

What is "Telecomms Tax"" What does that mean? The telecommunication value chain is very extensive e.g taxes on masts which have been in existence. VAT, corporate tax etc This is an entirely new tax so why not start by giving it a more specific name?
That is why I used the driving licence example to highlight that so many different taxes are possible in one sector
WHAT IS IT ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR TAX that links it to the issuing of licences in a way that is different from the fact that the FG issues licences for Radio stations and states can tax radio stations or tax drivers who use roads in a state
The basic point is you did not and do not grasp what I was saying rather than ask questions you decided to show yourself. Nobody knows everything . In your case you know little and think you know it all.

My point is a simple one I do not need to be right I QUESTIONED the status quota and you took it upon yourself to beat that down

The problem is that you are out of your depth here. You lack the cerebral infrastructure to take me on. It is too onerous for you.
Once again In the US the States states tax telecomm activity and the FG issues licences

The matter is essentially a constitutional and Jurisprudential one . Not one that requires you slavishly parroting who administer what

Learn to read and comprehend and if uncertain clarify before you start your unruly rants
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by oluwasegun007(m): 4:43pm On Aug 19, 2022
This is how we are all paying for China loan...

Loan wey I know see the impact.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Phaantom22: 4:52pm On Aug 19, 2022
If it's to increase tax and looting d populace you guys will be very effective but to increase minimum wage will need divine intervention.
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Abdul4trust1(m): 5:02pm On Aug 19, 2022
funshint:
include CBN governor. That minister for finance is the worst to have assume that office

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Agboriotejoye(m): 5:36pm On Aug 19, 2022
aribisala0:

What is "Telecomms Tax"" What does that mean? The telecommunication value chain is very extensive e.g taxes on masts which have been in existence. VAT, corporate tax etc This is an entirely new tax so why not start by giving it a more specific name?
That is why I used the driving licence example to highlight that so many different taxes are possible in one sector
WHAT IS IT ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR TAX that links it to the issuing of licences in a way that is different from the fact that the FG issues licences for Radio stations and states can tax radio stations or tax drivers who use roads in a state
The basic point is you did not and do not grasp what I was saying rather than ask questions you decided to show yourself. Nobody knows everything . In your case you know little and think you know it all.

My point is a simple one I do not need to be right I QUESTIONED the status quota and you took it upon yourself to beat that down

The problem is that you are out of your depth here. You lack the cerebral infrastructure to take me on. It is too onerous for you.
Once again In the US the States states tax telecomm activity and the FG issues licences

The matter is essentially a constitutional and Jurisprudential one . Not one that requires you slavishly parroting who administer what

Learn to read and comprehend and if uncertain clarify before you start your unruly rants

Maybe you should have found out for yourself what tax was being referred to initially before you assumed the role of Chief Legal counsel and supreme court combined, then argued for and also deciding in favour of the states. If you had read the body of the Op, you would have realized that the tax being referred to is the excise duty tax on the telecoms services. If you had known that, then you would have realized that the states cannot possibly collect that tax since the states did not grant license for the provision of the service as I already told you.
It is pitiable that a so-called educated person will form an opinion on what he does not even understand to be the subject of discourse. Firstly, have you even see the state govs raise eyebrows on the matter?
Well, now that I've educated you on the particular tax being talked about, I hope you will have the simple courtesy to correct your false premise that the states should be the collector of the said tax.
Like I already told you, taxes on siting masts in a state is not a telecoms services tax. Every firm or factory pays tax for being sited in a state regardless of the sector they operate. It has nothing to do with being a telecoms site.
I also already enlightened you on why your example of driving license is totally wrong and out of order. FRSC grants driving licenses not states. States register vehicles and deem them road worthy not FG. Each collects revenue for the service rendered.
States do not tax radio stations for broadcasting in their states. That's a capital lie. States can charge them for land use. For environment and other utilities such as waste and water, but never for broadcasting itself. It is the FG that taxes them for broadcasting. You're exposing your total ignorance of the matter still.
I still ask you to enumerate the particular telecoms activity the states tax telecoms companies for in the US. Mention it. Do states in US charge excise on telecoms services? Yes or No?
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 5:57pm On Aug 19, 2022
Agboriotejoye:

Maybe you should have found out for yourself what tax was being referred to initially before you assumed the role of Chief Legal counsel and supreme court combined, then argued for and also deciding in favour of the states. If you had read the body of the Op, you would have realized that the tax being referred to is the excise duty tax on the telecoms services. If you had known that, then you would have realized that the states cannot possibly collect that tax since the states did not grant license for the provision of the service as I already told you.
It is pitiable that a so-called educated person will form an opinion on what he does not even understand to be the subject of discourse. Firstly, have you even see the state govs raise eyebrows on the matter?
Well, now that I've educated you on the particular tax being talked about, I hope you will have the simple courtesy to correct your false premise that the states should be the collector of the said tax.
Like I already told you, taxes on siting masts in a state is not a telecoms services tax. Every firm or factory pays tax for being sited in a state regardless of the sector they operate. It has nothing to do with being a telecoms site.
I also already enlightened you on why your example of driving license is totally wrong and out of order. FRSC grants driving licenses not states. States register vehicles and deem them road worthy not FG. Each collects revenue for the service rendered.
States do not tax radio stations for broadcasting in their states. That's a capital lie. States can charge them for land use. For environment and other utilities such as waste and water, but never for broadcasting itself. It is the FG that taxes them for broadcasting. You're exposing your total ignorance of the matter still.
I still ask you to enumerate the particular telecoms activity the states tax telecoms companies for in the US. Mention it. Do states in US charge excise on telecoms services? Yes or No?
Funny

You are the one that lied not once but several times and then claimed the last was a typo. Attributing things to me I never said Now you want to constitute yourself into thought police.
The authority or power to tax is not a consequence of the power to issue licences. That is your imagination They are parallel issues. There are so many different taxes that a company is liable to. LICENCES in the Telecomm sector are paid for
This particular tax is not a tax on the company but the consumer . IT IS A CONSUMPTION TAX
just like the proposed tax on sugar drinks etc and the same question applies why can't the state collect it. It is totally unrelated to the issuance of licences
and I generally do not engage blockheads. Everything you have written amounts to nothing more than verbigeration

You are out of your depth here

You are dishonest or more accurately a LIAR . Please show A single quote of mine where the word "broadcast" is present. For you truth is an inconvenience. You have not made any effort to grasp what I am saying but rather attribute to me things I never said because you need to win an argument that exists only in your head. My questions was not about what is but what I think should be . In that respect there really is nothing to argue about. Certainly no argument about "facts"

What exactly is your bone of contention ? You do not know. Rather you are a conflicted individual with limited cerebral power that does not amount to 1 but judges himself to be 100.

All I did was question why this particular tax cannot be collected by state governments . My view is simple It is a constitutional and jurisprudential matter within the context of the current political agitation for resource control

Foolishly you said BECAUSE the FG issues licence then states cannot collect this tax.

What is it that is peculiar to this tax that links it to the issuance of licences that does not exist in the USA?
That does not apply to radio licences or other sectors.

You have made too many typos too many misquotes and the conclusion is that you are a lying , raucous , unruly miscreant
You have now introduced the nebulous term TELECOMM TAX . It is for you to define it because it is meaningless
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by ufotunang: 6:04pm On Aug 19, 2022
This incompetent woman..the minister of finance all the economic policies she. Introduces and want to apply ..all her economic policies is to bring hardship to Nigerins.none of her economic policies is people friendly that can better the life of Nigerians and reduce hardship
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by aribisala0(m): 6:10pm On Aug 19, 2022
ufotunang:
This incompetent woman..the minister of finance all the economic policies she. Introduces and want to apply ..all her economic policies is to bring hardship to Nigerins.none of her economic policies is people friendly that can better the life of Nigerians and reduce hardship
Donald Trump described Buhari as lifeless. If there is anything worse she is it

1 Like

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by Nobody: 6:49pm On Aug 19, 2022
That girl is inexperienced. I support pantami on this
Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by kingmsookwagh(m): 6:54pm On Aug 19, 2022
And what does BUHARI the GCFORN thinks?

Re: Finance Minister Zainab vs Communication Minister Pantami: Battle Line Drawn by bizzibodi(m): 7:15pm On Aug 19, 2022
Eeeewwww!Who did this to us? cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South East Vs South West, Economic War Possibilities And Likely Scenarios / POS Africa: Governor Nyesom Wike's Plenty Titles (photos) / 4 Policemen And A Soldier Killed In Ihiala, Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.