Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,230 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:09 AM

Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU (22815 Views)

ASUU Rejected Federal Government's Offer To Suspend Strike Conditionally / Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba: Teachers To Enjoy New Salary Structure From January / Guy Outs Wicked Senior Back Then At Federal Government College Rubochi, Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by WeLive: 9:21am On Aug 19, 2022
dawnomike:
I really pity Nigerian students... They are the ones at the receiving end
Truth

ASUU is a bit selfish. And all these months they are on strike, they will still receive their full salaries.
Maybe their salary structure should be reviewed, so that there will be basic salary as an employee and salary payment for lecture periods (may be more).
This will make it that when they are on strike, they won't receive the part for lecture periods.

I want to be Minister for Education grin
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Emeka71(m): 9:31am On Aug 19, 2022
dawnomike:
The whole thing makes no difference either because already there are countless number of graduates without employment or good opportunities to be self-employed; also there are alternative universities to the ASUU led university.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by emettang: 9:42am On Aug 19, 2022
In my opinion, it is Nigeria and Nigerians that will ultimately be at the receiving end. All developed country were developed by their intellectuals and not mineral resources. the more intellectuals you have in an economy the better that economy becomes. In Nigeria however, brain drain is draining the country of intellectual gradually and living behind half-baked university graduate/professionals who cannot contribute any meaningful development strides to the economic development of the country. Government have to do more to produce skilled manpower and to keep them in the country for the betterment of the economy, and this is through improved educational system.

dawnomike:
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Calicoe: 9:48am On Aug 19, 2022
Govt should disband this ASUU and form another body that it can control. But when when u put into consideration the level of corruption in govt, you'll take sides with ASUU. Las Las na d common man wey nor fit send e pikin go private uni or school abroad dey suffer am.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by NextBuhari: 11:44am On Aug 19, 2022
Mass ignorance is a major threat to democracy in Nigeria. I've heard some miseducated folks (and I blame ASUU) ask why lecturers should be paid for work not done. This shows the level of destructive ignorance that holds the nation by the jugular. This also shows a crass misunderstanding of ASUU's struggles. The important point which is that the government has consistently reneged and breached agreements (MOUs & MOAs) voluntarily entered into with the union is lost. That is the crux of the matter. The danger with this thinking is that government is trying to set a precedent whereby if they want to deny workers their rights, they can easily provoke them into embarking on a strike and consequently, withhold their salaries. This is a tyrannical, autocratic and undemocratic method of emasculating and arm twisting labour unions from fighting for the improvement in the welfare of their members. It may effectively become governments' dubious means of raising fund whenever they experience paucity of funds.

1 Like

Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by NextBuhari: 11:45am On Aug 19, 2022
WeLive:

Truth

ASUU is a bit selfish. And all these months they are on strike, they will still receive their full salaries.
Maybe their salary structure should be reviewed, so that there will be basic salary as an employee and salary payment for lecture periods (may be more).
This will make it that when they are on strike, they won't receive the part for lecture periods.

I want to be Minister for Education grin
Mass ignorance is a major threat to democracy in Nigeria. I've heard some miseducated folks (and I blame ASUU) ask why lecturers be paid for work not done. This shows the level of destructive ignorance that holds the nation by the jugular. This also shows a crass misunderstanding of ASUU's struggles. The important point which is that the government has consistently reneged and breached agreements (MOUs & MOAs) voluntarily entered into with the union is lost. That is the crux of the matter. The danger with this thinking is that government is trying to set a precedent whereby if they want to deny workers their rights, they can easily provoke them into embarking on a strike and consequently, withhold their salaries. This is a tyrannical, autocratic and undemocratic method of emasculating and arm twisting labour unions from fighting for the improvement in the welfare of their members. It may effectively become governments' dubious means of raising fund whenever they experience paucity of funds.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by snoopz: 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2022
bewla:
Remember them children are not here ooo
Even a gbero done join carry pikin comot
Na me and you remain ooooo

They can start by reducing the salary of Bashir Ahmed an ordinary SA collecting 800k+ per month and other SAs and SSAs infact the govt doesn't need special adviser on media communications and senior special adviser on media communications na waste of money if you ask me
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by ejimatic: 12:35pm On Aug 19, 2022
divinehand2003:

https://leadership.ng/why-we-rejected-federal-govts-salary-structure-ASUU/

ASUP SANU NASU ASUP NASUP and SaANIP are all waiting for the outcome of ASUs negitiatiation. If ASUs salaries are increased by 100 theirs will also be increased by 100. That is why FG is treading carefully
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Lama70(m): 2:04pm On Aug 19, 2022
lawrenzooo:

This claim of yours is false. Majority of the lecturers (senior lecturers inclusive) cannot afford to send their kids abroad for studies because their salary cannot foot the bill.

You are absolutely not correct. I know professors with children abroad. Many of them.

How they fund their children's education is what I cannot say or debate with you.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by lawrenzooo: 2:17pm On Aug 19, 2022
Lama70:

You are absolutely not correct. I know professors with children abroad. Many of them.

How they fund their children's education is what I cannot say or debate with you.

At least we both agree that their take home cannot sponsor a child abroad. Support from their wives maybe or dey have other side hustles.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by coputa(m): 2:43pm On Aug 19, 2022
OSUigboFlatHead:

Sense dey pain you?
Your good for nothing politicians take own at least 1m every month, but a professor can not even take home 500k. Some senior lecturers (doctors) are only getting 200k etc and you think it's ASUU's fault?
Una no dey ever think before Una spew trash
professors and doctors of what, to frustrate students,how many research and invention has they churn out to benefit the economy.a professor that lift,copy and paste content from other people works.are you a drop out.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by chaloskyx: 2:45pm On Aug 19, 2022
IS IT NOT TIME FOR END SARS PART 2 WHAT ARE NIGERIANS STILL WAITING FOR
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by OSUigboFlatHead(f): 5:17pm On Aug 19, 2022
coputa:
professors and doctors of what, to frustrate students,how many research and invention has they churn out to benefit the economy.a professor that lift,copy and paste content from other people works.are you a drop out.
Or deh
What are we saying and what is this one saying?
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Pqw1: 5:30pm On Aug 19, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by emmyN(m): 11:53pm On Aug 19, 2022
heykims:
Let's face the fact, education is expensive anywhere in the world. While the federal universities are run almost free of charge for students, ASUU is requesting a double of salary and wants autonomy of university financial runnings.
ASUU too should recommend ways by which revenue generation can increase in universities even if it is to increase tuitions.
Moreso, ASUU should note that all other associations/unions in civil service are watching on standby to see the outcome of their salary negotiations. They will all later approach the FG for review of their salary scales as well using ASUU'S new salary scale as a template.

If you read the article you would see the recommendation ASUU made about that and it's in the 2009 agreement. The federal government accepted their suggestion, implemented it but decided the proceeds would not be used for ASUU.
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by heykims(m): 2:59am On Aug 20, 2022
emmyN:

If you read the article you would see the recommendation ASUU made about that and it's in the 2009 agreement. The federal government accepted their suggestion, implemented it but decided the proceeds would not be used for ASUU.
What are the recommendations please?
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Slymontee: 1:04pm On Aug 21, 2022
4gunners:
Guy, a prof doesn't earn 350K. You don't need to lie to prove your point. If everyone should go by your argument, the total workforce will be on strike. Yes, the country is bad but you don't make it worse with your incessant strike.
I have 11 years experience, working in a Fed University. How dare you claim to know more than I do. mtcheeew!
Re: Why We Rejected Federal Government’s Salary Structure – ASUU by Jman06(m): 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2022
NextBuhari:
Mass ignorance is a major threat to democracy in Nigeria. I've heard some miseducated folks (and I blame ASUU) ask why lecturers should be paid for work not done. This shows the level of destructive ignorance that holds the nation by the jugular. This also shows a crass misunderstanding of ASUU's struggles. The important point which is that the government has consistently reneged and breached agreements (MOUs & MOAs) voluntarily entered into with the union is lost. That is the crux of the matter. The danger with this thinking is that government is trying to set a precedent whereby if they want to deny workers their rights, they can easily provoke them into embarking on a strike and consequently, withhold their salaries. This is a tyrannical, autocratic and undemocratic method of emasculating and arm twisting labour unions from fighting for the improvement in the welfare of their members. It may effectively become governments' dubious means of raising fund whenever they experience paucity of funds.
This policy has been in place for long. The last time JOHESU went on strike, their salaries were stopped and it didn't stop them from calling off their strike.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Anti-Islam Policy: University Of Ibadan Professors Petition Management / Why Do Teachers And Textbook Writers Do This This? / Governor Abiodun Gives Best 2020 LASU Graduating Student Bungalow, ₦2 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.