Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave (2974 Views)

HISTORY: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave As / Saint Obi's Marriage Took Him Away From His Friends And Acting - Zik Zulu / How Oliver De Coque Most Kept Secret Took Him To Early Grave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Psoul(m): 8:02pm On Aug 22, 2022
How OLIVER DE COQUE's most kept secret took him to an early grave as told by his son.
(April 14, 1947 - June 20, 2008. Age: 61)

HIS NAME, HIS MUSIC & HIS LIFESTYLE

Chief Dr. Oliver Sunday Akanite popularly known as Oliver De Coque was a Nigerian highlife musician and guitarist who has more than 50 albums to his credit and whose career lasted over 4 decades, making him one of the most popular highlife kings in Africa. Oliver and his music band group, 'Ogene Sound Super of Africa' blended modern highlife and traditional Igbo music.

The music star had 12 kids; 7 boys and 5 girls and they all enjoyed their father's presence. "It was awesome. My siblings and I didn't see him as a famous person. He was a normal, caring, jovial and loving dad to us," Darlington Akanite, one of his sons disclosed.

While growing up, Oliver was popularly called, 'The Game Master' because he was good at the game of Draft. Draft in Igbo language is 'Okwe.' So, People began to call him 'Oliver Di ka Okwe.' He then changed the name to sound more like a French name; that was how he came up with, 'Oliver De Coque.'

HIS SIGNATURE LOOK

He loved to buy clothes and spent a lot of money maintaining his looks. Infact, he spent #30,000 on his beard weekly and that amounted to #120,000 monthly. He visited his Salon twice a week and always said his beard was his Signature look. He said that if someone decided to keep a beard, it was right to maintain it.

HIS SICKNESS & HOW HE DIED

He fell ill at the end of 2007. He was diabetic and hypertensive. Most artistes don't like to disclose their health challenge and his son is of the opinion that if Oliver had told people about his health challenge, he would have gotten help quickly. "He was ill for three months. He then recovered in February 2008 and began to go for shows. He died on June 20 but he had planned to travel to the U.S on July 2 for checkup," Darlington added. He went further to tell the press that it was as if his father knew he was going to die because on the day he died, he decided to stay indoors. "And he told me to stay by his side." "That morning after he had his brekfast, he began to feel ill and cancelled his appointments for the day. I didn't know it was a serious matter; all I could do was to console him. I went to the bathroom to take a shower and then told him that I wanted to visit a few friends but he begged me not to leave his side and I became upset. I thought he was just depriving me of having fun. I grudgingly stayed back."
While Darlington stayed with him, he began to tell him how he started his career.

As he was telling the story, he complained of not breathing well. Oliver then decided that he should be taken to the hospital. On their way to the hospital, he told the driver to increase the air-condition that he was feeling hot. His son became scared when he started to shout, "Wheelbarrow! Wheelbarrow! Darlington, please bring a Wheelbarrow." It was after his death, Darlington who wondered what was happening realised that the highlife maestro was referring to a WheelChair not actually a Wheelbarrow.
"I think he was becoming paralysed and unconscious. He was rushed to the emergency ward when we got to the hospital. And throughout his time in the hospital, he kept begging me to save him but there was nothing I could have done," the Son said.
He held Darlington's hand close to his side as he took his last breathe. His son closed his eyes and kissed him on the forehead. "I was so confused about all that happened."

LESSON

His son believes that more than 200 Igbo people would have laid their lives down for him if he had made his health condition public.

He's gone leaving behind a vacuum but he's taught the entire family a lesson that whenever one is facing a challenge, one shouldn't keep quiet about it. "I want people to learn from his death."

6 Likes

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 22, 2022
Such a legend, he was a handsome young man.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by mekaw(m): 8:17pm On Aug 22, 2022
he is a legend
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by doctorexcel: 8:24pm On Aug 22, 2022
His genre of music was unique and incomparable. He was truly a legend. Rest on great man

2 Likes

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Reinamaria(f): 8:31pm On Aug 22, 2022
So sad, he died afraid.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by drmuchin: 8:41pm On Aug 22, 2022
THE REALEST SLAY KING
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Buharidgeneral: 10:06pm On Aug 22, 2022
Old news but he was a legend
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by obiekunie01: 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by obiekunie01: 11:41pm On Aug 22, 2022
THIS LIVE PERFORMANCE DEY SWEET ME DIE!

We can never have a legend like this anymore!

They come once is lifetime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Rv8NmrVWs

1 Like

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by vincentjk(m): 2:16am On Aug 23, 2022
I still play this man's songs till date, I can't explain the joy I derive from listening to his high life.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Waterlilly: 3:24am On Aug 23, 2022
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 23, 2022
He was truly a legend
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by WhatCanIsay(m): 8:35am On Aug 23, 2022
obiekunie01:
THIS LIVE PERFORMANCE DEY SWEET ME DIE!

We can never have a legend like this anymore!

They come once is lifetime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Rv8NmrVWs

Lol I love how lively that music and people are!
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by michlins(m): 8:38am On Aug 23, 2022
Let me play his song to hold body first
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by engrchykae(m): 9:08am On Aug 23, 2022
A man like him shouldn't have died afraid.
Most men of his level die composed and calculated
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by obiekunie01: 9:17am On Aug 23, 2022
engrchykae:

die na die.

how the die take happen doesn't matter to the dead.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Psoul(m): 9:53am On Aug 23, 2022
Buharidgeneral:
Old news but he was a legend

Some people and wack brain.

So, a history becomes irrelevant when they are not current.
A history should be thrown away as soon as it comes and goes?
You need to do better.

Oya tell us the current news of the man.

2 Likes

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by engrchykae(m): 11:32am On Aug 23, 2022
obiekunie01:

die na die.

how the die take happen doesn't matter to the dead.
it matters the most.
Ancient people knew how to live and more importantly,how to die.
We don't even know how to live neither how to die.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by colonelwealth(m): 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2022
Psoul:
How OLIVER DE COQUE's most kept secret took him to an early grave as told by his son.
(April 14, 1947 - June 20, 2008. Age: 61)

HIS NAME, HIS MUSIC & HIS LIFESTYLE

Chief Dr. Oliver Sunday Akanite popularly known as Oliver De Coque was a Nigerian highlife musician and guitarist who has more than 50 albums to his credit and whose career lasted over 4 decades, making him one of the most popular highlife kings in Africa. Oliver and his music band group, 'Ogene Sound Super of Africa' blended modern highlife and traditional Igbo music.

The music star had 12 kids; 7 boys and 5 girls and they all enjoyed their father's presence. "It was awesome. My siblings and I didn't see him as a famous person. He was a normal, caring, jovial and loving dad to us," Darlington Akanite, one of his sons disclosed.

While growing up, Oliver was popularly called, 'The Game Master' because he was good at the game of Draft. Draft in Igbo language is 'Okwe.' So, People began to call him 'Oliver Di ka Okwe.' He then changed the name to sound more like a French name; that was how he came up with, 'Oliver De Coque.'

HIS SIGNATURE LOOK

He loved to buy clothes and spent a lot of money maintaining his looks. Infact, he spent #30,000 on his beard weekly and that amounted to #120,000 monthly. He visited his Salon twice a week and always said his beard was his Signature look. He said that if someone decided to keep a beard, it was right to maintain it.

HIS SICKNESS & HOW HE DIED

He fell ill at the end of 2007. He was diabetic and hypertensive. Most artistes don't like to disclose their health challenge and his son is of the opinion that if Oliver had told people about his health challenge, he would have gotten help quickly. "He was ill for three months. He then recovered in February 2008 and began to go for shows. He died on June 20 but he had planned to travel to the U.S on July 2 for checkup," Darlington added. He went further to tell the press that it was as if his father knew he was going to die because on the day he died, he decided to stay indoors. "And he told me to stay by his side." "That morning after he had his brekfast, he began to feel ill and cancelled his appointments for the day. I didn't know it was a serious matter; all I could do was to console him. I went to the bathroom to take a shower and then told him that I wanted to visit a few friends but he begged me not to leave his side and I became upset. I thought he was just depriving me of having fun. I grudgingly stayed back."
While Darlington stayed with him, he began to tell him how he started his career.

As he was telling the story, he complained of not breathing well. Oliver then decided that he should be taken to the hospital. On their way to the hospital, he told the driver to increase the air-condition that he was feeling hot. His son became scared when he started to shout, "Wheelbarrow! Wheelbarrow! Darlington, please bring a Wheelbarrow." It was after his death, Darlington who wondered what was happening realised that the highlife maestro was referring to a WheelChair not actually a Wheelbarrow.
"I think he was becoming paralysed and unconscious. He was rushed to the emergency ward when we got to the hospital. And throughout his time in the hospital, he kept begging me to save him but there was nothing I could have done," the Son said.
He held Darlington's hand close to his side as he took his last breathe. His son closed his eyes and kissed him on the forehead. "I was so confused about all that happened."

LESSON

His son believes that more than 200 Igbo people would have laid their lives down for him if he had made his health condition public.

He's gone leaving behind a vacuum but he's taught the entire family a lesson that whenever one is facing a challenge, one shouldn't keep quiet about it. "I want people to learn from his death."

Forever a legend!
Rip.

1 Like

Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by oz4real83(m): 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2022
engrchykae:
when a person is at the point of death, different realities start dawning on that person, he or she begins to understand somethings clearly, it is at this point that most who never believed in religion begin to reconsider their stance, some begin to realign from their former faith to a new faith.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Mercury12(m): 2:27pm On Aug 23, 2022
RIP.

Hypertension and diabetes is such a silent killer of many men. I don't know why people are creating enough awareness about this
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:36pm On Aug 23, 2022
He was also a great traditionalist and heavily involved in spiritism. His songs portrays that a lot. People’s Club and that song his song about a river goddes(can’t remember the title now) are a few of his songs that talks about that.

Rest on Great Man.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by UrProguy: 7:41pm On Aug 23, 2022
I don't know why I found this part funny grin
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Psoul(m): 8:16am On Aug 24, 2022
UrProguy:

I don't know why I found this part funny grin

You found it funny cos you have problem with comprehension especially when it comes to understanding figurative statement.

Let me help u a bit.
He mean that if the man had opened up to his people even close friends, there are many that would've offered to help to save his life.
Some will bring medical advise. Others will bring money and other resources that would've made him manage the condition longer than just dying like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you still don't understand this.
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by UrProguy: 8:26am On Aug 24, 2022
Psoul:

You found it funny cos you have problem with comprehension especially when it comes to understanding figurative statement.

Let me help u a bit.
He mean that if the man had opened up to his people even close friends, there are many that would've offered to help to save his life.
Some will bring medical advise. Others will bring money and other resources that would've made him manage the condition longer than just dying like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if you still don't understand this.
Except that is what he meant, but I doubt grin
Re: How OLIVER DE Coque's Most Kept Secret Took Him To An Early Grave by Psoul(m): 9:57am On Aug 24, 2022
UrProguy:

Except that is what he meant, but I doubt grin

I said it that I wouldn't be surprised if you still didn't understand it after my explanation.
Comprehension seems to be a big challenge to u.

If you had read this part very well with little understanding, you would have bn able to connect it with the part u are crying about.

He was diabetic and hypertensive. Most artistes don't like to disclose their health challenge and his son is of the opinion that if Oliver had told people about his health challenge, he would have gotten help quickly.

(1) (Reply)

“chris Brown Used Eye Drops To ‘cry’ At Bet Awards!” / Nadia Buhari As A Kid / Photo: P-square, Chinedu Ikedieze With President Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.