Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:32 AM

Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion (17002 Views)

Soyinka: I didn't Meet Peter Obi For Reconciliation, Rather He Apologised / 1979 Class Of President, VP , Governors Etc Only Two Are Still Alive (Full List) / Soyinka: I Never Said "Vote For Buhari", But Only Said "Do Not Vote Jonathan" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by ghettokid1(m): 9:03am On Aug 23, 2022
Ahead of the 2023 general election, Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, has given a reason he doesn’t care if Nigeria’s next president, vice-president, and Speaker of the House of Representatives are all from the same religion and village.

Soyinka also said that the same faith ticket won’t be a problem in a “normal society” and that Nigeria has not attained such a “norm”.

The 88-year-old playwright spoke on Channels Television’s Newsnight, a pre-recorded interview aired on Monday.

“I don’t give a damn if the president, the vice-President, the speaker, etc. all come from the same village, they have the same religion, they belong to the same tribe,” Soyinka said when asked about his thoughts on the controversy that has trailed the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

He added, “If, however, it is transparently, absolutely, unarguable that is a kind of genius breed that has been donated to the nation and to the world, as long as the capability of the individuals who are into governance is proven, and it is quite clear that there is no alternative, that is my position.”

“Now, we are talking about a society which is normal, which institutions are normal…Is Nigeria normal?” he asked.

Soyinka’s comments came months after APC presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, had announced former governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, as his running mate.

Tinubu and Shettima are Muslims, a development that has continued to attract criticisms from the Christian Association of Nigeria the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Kukah, among others.
https://dailypost.ng/2022/08/23/2023-why-i-dont-care-if-nigerias-next-president-vp-speaker-are-of-same-religion-soyinka/

31 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by naijainstinct: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2022
Truly, competence should be placed above ethnicity or religion in a normal society but like Prof asked, "is Nigeria normal?"

131 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:05am On Aug 23, 2022
"Now, we're talking about a society which is normal, which institutions are normal... Is Nigeria normal?".

Under APC, Nigeria is not normal...a cabinet member under PMB once said that 'a serious government will solve power problem under 6months...that providing stable power supply is not rocket science'

Now, 6months don become 8years yet we no see constant power supply...e don become rocket science! The painful part is that the Bishop of Agbado Diocese & his parishoners want to continue in the ABNORMALITY.

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Lithuanian: 9:05am On Aug 23, 2022

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by ghettokid1(m): 9:06am On Aug 23, 2022
Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Pauldollars(m): 9:08am On Aug 23, 2022
Competence should be the most important thing.
However when the candidate of the APC picks a Muslim-Muslim ticket in order to win votes from the North, then there is no need talking of competency here. It is about religion and getting more votes.

But is Nigeria normal?
Prof asked the right question.

Until Nigeria gets normal, we will have to use Christian-Muslim ticket

65 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by slimjohn2k5: 9:11am On Aug 23, 2022
When it was power shift to the south, nobody talked about competence. Do not be deceived, they have an agenda

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Day169: 9:12am On Aug 23, 2022
Wise words from the sage!

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Nobody: 9:13am On Aug 23, 2022
Is Nigeria normal? Since soyonka knows Nigeria isn't normal, why didn't he just answer a straight forward question, other than beat around the bush.

highchief1:
u cannot use waec that they helped u to write to understand what a prof of his standing means.go back to ur pos business sir.ppl who will understand already has.

He was speaking to Nigerians of all ages and academic strata on live television , not a group of professors.
His comments have proven him to be dishonest, well I'm not surprised, he swore buhari is the messiah.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by DOTian: 9:16am On Aug 23, 2022
Obviously, Nigeria is not "normal".. so..?

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by adekolaelect(m): 9:17am On Aug 23, 2022
It is true where leaders are not greedy and where Citizens are not brain dead . Leaders use Emotional sentimental things to get over their citizen for what they want and hole Citizens too are emotionally brain dead due to lack of good governance in Nigeria. Anything about Religions is meant for invisible Heaven while Anything about politics and governance meant for this Earth. Why Mixing it together is what is making it difficult for us to find solutions to many of our problems.

127 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Olojuobinrin(m): 9:21am On Aug 23, 2022
A country gets pretty much the political leaders it deserves.
I don’t care who wins , we deserve him !

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Herdsmen: 9:23am On Aug 23, 2022
Age is getting to him.. he have lived his youth .. in a well secured Nigeria .. now He’s 88 and don’t care what happens to the Nigeria youths and Nigeria as a country

If not for the IPOB thing and the aggressive nature of Obi supporters.. many Nigerians would have opt for Obi..

But as it is..

Just campaign them the bully curse insult threaten.. how e go come be wen the get that power .. Na to kill opposition and behead all

Soyinka is talking gibberish... he knows nothing .. diminishing return don set in..

Power to the people
Sai Waziri!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 9:31am On Aug 23, 2022
ghettokid1:
grin grin

grin

morning sir..
Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Epiphany92(m): 9:33am On Aug 23, 2022
I heard from a reliable source from the APC that this “Muslim Muslim” ticket of Asiwaju’s is just to test the waters and if it works,Insha allah
No Christians,spiritualist or even atheist will taste third highest position in Nigeria ever again
The next experiment will be Northern Muslim/Northern Muslim ticket and nothing can change that ever again

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 9:34am On Aug 23, 2022
Useless man. No matter how educated they are, their bigotry would always becloud their sense of reasoning.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by highchief1: 9:46am On Aug 23, 2022
Thinkam:
Is Nigeria normal? Since soyonka knows Nigeria isn't normal, why didn't he just answer a straight forward question, other than beat around the bush
u cannot use waec that they helped u to write to understand what a prof of his standing means.go back to ur pos business sir.ppl who will understand already has.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by highchief1: 9:47am On Aug 23, 2022
NimrodEndOfDays:
Useless man. No matter how educated they are, their bigotry would always becloud their sense of reasoning.
stop tradamadol before tramadol stops you.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Bizibi(m): 9:50am On Aug 23, 2022
After witnessing buhari nepotism and tribalism.,we can't take that risk.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by ghettokid1(m): 10:01am On Aug 23, 2022
OkpaNsukkaisBae:

grin

morning sir..
mornig bro..

are u from NSK ?
Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by BATified2023: 10:03am On Aug 23, 2022
A
Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by BATified2023: 10:06am On Aug 23, 2022
Pauldollars:
Competence should be the most important thing.
However when the candidate of the APC picks a Muslim-Muslim ticket in order to win votes from the North, then there is no need talking of competency here. It is about religion and getting more votes.

But is Nigeria normal?
Prof asked the right question.

Until Nigeria gets normal, we will have to use Christian-Muslim ticket
so are u saying south east isn’t normal cos they never had a Muslim deputy or vice since the return of democracy in 99?

So osun state too isn’t normal cos they have a Christian Christian ticket?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Kingspin(m): 10:12am On Aug 23, 2022
If you treat 6 of your children differently, you have sowed hate, and division among them.

You will care when Nigeria is no more.
Elders for sale

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by sammysneh(m): 10:14am On Aug 23, 2022
No dey disguise come out and say you support Apc

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by okeyumez(m): 10:14am On Aug 23, 2022
W
Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by sukkot: 10:14am On Aug 23, 2022
grin

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Grassroott(m): 10:15am On Aug 23, 2022
how would he care, well he supported Buhari before nah

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by sammhi(m): 10:15am On Aug 23, 2022
naijainstinct:
Truly, competence should be placed above ethnicity or religion in a normal society but like Prof asked, "is Nigeria normal?"
Soyinka is known to always side with those he benefit from
He sides with Buhari in 2015 because of same man
Not surprised
If this were some other person, he would have scream to the heavens

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by Sixfiguresmart(m): 10:16am On Aug 23, 2022
Old fools. When they are connected to thugs, they celebrate thuggery.
Just because you have a gain in Tinubu does not mean that you should sell your opinion to me. Tinubu is a cancer to this country. A man whose wealth cannot be traced. ain't that something?

The ffoool below me is too young to know how Lagos truly was in the 80ies. Lagos has always been the center for excellence. There has not been a time that Lagos was as bad as they painted it. Go and ask your parents. Just as Lagos developed, other states developed too. If Lagos was bad everywhere else, was worse.

Calabar indigenes used to come to Lagos as maids in the past, not anymore. Hausa people used to flood to Lagos, not anymore. Ghanaians used to to die to see Lagos, not anymore.
Come to the North and see roads and development that are not even used. If you have cancer, the Lagos state hospital will refer you to the North. Come and experience the educational affordability given to these people. Come and see how they can easily access Saudi Arabia when you cannot. Come and see why they can have dollars and you cannot

As a Lagosian, I used to live in Lagos, but I can't anymore. My parents left the UK for Lagos in the 70ies but ran back to the UK. Today, I live in the North. Do not be fooled by ediorts who know nothing and trying delude you and appease their stooling druggie.

The crisis we face today in this country is caused by Tinubu. He himself assumed the credit of imposing Buhari on us. He kept quiet while Nigeria burned until he wants to become the next president. Ask yourself, what really did he do? Just like year his daughter kept on taxing Lagosians. Tinubu collects taxes from every dweller in Lagos. He ran Lagos with thuggery during his tenure. Are people blind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dwslEQqk9E

The man is old and wicked. He simply wants to destroy this country. He cannot stay awake for presidential briefings. If Buhari was bad, Tinubu promises to be worse off. First off, he is vindictive. A man who keeps records of enemies. Up till now, he has not reached out to the Igbos for votes. He considers them as the 5%, he has not reached out to the south south, because they are 5%. All he does it lick the noses of the northerners and subscribe to any bully who can rig votes for him. The way he insulted and called Obasanjo rotten meat that should be thrown away is sickening. A man who was not in a presidential race at the time. Why take a dig on him?

Anyone who listens to these men who have long lost touches with reality, will end up poor. These men are accustomed to having people prostrate before them. They do not see the plights of the average man. Tinubu has a bad record in and out this country. No reasonable president would want to have dinner with his incontinence issues.

Naira is as low as ever. The worst performing currency in the world. I am even scared if the poor Nigerians can ever afford a Fridge or a phone. By the look of things, we may not be able to afford medicines. The minimum wage is not budging, remember.

Tinubu knows nothing but politics and thuggery. What he practices is not called politics, it is thuggery. He is a bully. Tinubu cannot win a single election in a sane country. He would have been busted on bribery and election frauds.

A man who could loot in bullion vans, not one but two at a sitting can kill you. Remember he is not alone. His daughter and sons are coming for your souls.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:16am On Aug 23, 2022
For those who were not born or matured enough during the time Asiwaju was the governor of Lagos State, or for who did not experience how Lagos was before. I see a lot of people now, some young people who cannot enjoy night life in their states, who cannot enjoy good road in their states, they run to Lagos. They go to the club in the night without hindrance and they are abusing Tinubu from the club in that night life.

“It is an irony because you are in a state where you are living in peace.
You are abusing someone who is the father and architect of modern Lagos.
I’m sure you know how Lagos was with insecurity in the late 1990s, you know the problem at that time in Lagos.
At a time robbery in Lagos was a common thing as well as chaotic traffic in Lagos.

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Don’t Care If The Next President, VP, Speaker Are Of Same Religion by MrUchenna1(m): 10:16am On Aug 23, 2022
Majority of Nigerians cares.....
it's a game of number...............
it's democracy....................................
all inclusive

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NLC Strike Over Fuel Subsidy Removal: What's Happening In Your Area? / Youths Protest Against EFCC's Probe On Patience Jonathan Today (Photos) / Akwa Ibom Assembly Reconvenes, Suspend 11 Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.