Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada (102180 Views)

Why Immigrants Can Never Be Happy In Their New Country / Leaving Canada.......... Secrets / Reasons Why Immigrants Are Now Leaving Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by whizqueen(f): 7:27pm On Aug 27, 2022
What’s up Nairalanders smiley

Today, I thought to share with you some untold truths about why immigrants are leaving Canada. This thread is not in any way to bash my new home (Canada) or to discourage anyone from moving here. But most threads and information we see online just show you the good things about living in Canada.

As a Nigerian immigrant residing in Canada for 3 years now, here are some of the reasons why people are leaving Canada.

1. Building wealth is hard: Unlike other western countries, particularly the US, it’s really hard to become wealthy in Canada. Taxes are higher in Canada than UK, the US, and even Australia. Canada thrives at redistributing wealth and making sure everyone is at the same income level. It favors low-income earners because they get to enjoy govt benefits, this demotivates people from working hard to become better versions of themselves. For most immigrants, they work hard and succeed in their professions, when they get to high-income bracket where they have to pay almost 50% of their income in Taxes it gets frustrating so they decide to leave.

2. High cost of living: After paying so much in taxes, you spend what is left of your income on bills to live a good life. Expensive houses, high insurance cost, high phone/internet bills, food, and a lot more. The average cost of renting a single room apartment in Toronto is $2,000 per month, the average salary of Canadians is $50,000 per year! Isn’t it insane that you’re spending over 30% of your income on rent? This is another reason why people leave.

3. Boredom/Loneliness: Most immigrants have been seen to encounter their first depression once they move to abroad. Like other western countries, Canada could get very boring and lonely. There isn’t so much to do in Canada even in the big/busy cities. Even though Canadians are considered “Nice” People rarely interact with one another; it’s so hard making friends or building long-lasting connections. Immigrants are used to having people-friendly culture and family-oriented relationships with friends and neighbours, so they miss that lifestyle and leave.

4. Cold: This thread would be incomplete if I don’t mention the harsh weather conditions in Canada. Summer barely lasts for 3 months and the rest of the year you’re cold. Is the weather unbearable? Absolutely not, but it’s very sad and depressing. Imagine having to go to work on a cold morning at 6am when it’s pitch black (cos sunrise during winter is like 7am) to a survival job that doesn’t care if you’re 10 minutes late. There’s something called winter depression and it’s unexplainable, you have to witness it yourself to fully grasp what it’s like. As most people age, they just can’t deal with the cold anymore and would rather move somewhere else that is much warmer.

5. Getting professional jobs: I think it’s insane that Canada encourages skilled workers to immigrate to Canada to start a new life only to not consider them professional enough to get into the professional workforce. Most people have to start all over from the scratch in their careers, it’s even worse for healthcare professionals (Doctors, Nurses, etc) they spend several years trying to get licensed to practice while managing with ridiculous jobs like support workers, Uber drivers, etc. It’s very sad to leave your home country as a Medical Doctor just to become someone else’s food delivery guy. What about for other professionals? They start off their careers with just anything to pay the bills cos they can’t land their first Canadian job without having Canadian experience!! How do I get Canadian experience if you don’t hire me? Are you saying I don’t have transferable skills after migrating here as a “Skilled-worker”? Some people just get fed up and move to other countries with higher-paying jobs.

Honestly, there’s a lot more to say but I’d rather not bore you with too much story. I encourage you to check out my YouTube video, where I discussed this in full detail with another friend of mine.

Do you think these reasons are valid? Or are they exaggerated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QtqwSt-fVw

168 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by VeryWickedMan: 7:32pm On Aug 27, 2022
6. No Single Rituals Shrine

That's why I left. Useless country.

557 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by HRHQueenPhil(f): 7:34pm On Aug 27, 2022
So what do u then advise or were shld we move to that will be worth it

24 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by boldx(m): 7:36pm On Aug 27, 2022
Wow. Thanks for this.

49 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Tunjibalogun: 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
But they will never tell you . Making it look like Canada is heaven lol.
That's Nigerians for you
I know a consultant Hematologist (medical doctor) who couldn't cope with the cost of living in Canada, infact he couldn't practice his profession and he became frustrated. He left but his wife refused leaving, so they divorced. The man remarried after he came back to Nigeria and he's really doing so great and happy.

488 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ednut1(m): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
Although the op na my friend i will tackle her.

1. There are people building wealth in cheaper provinces like Alberta or New Brunswick where houses go for 300k to 400k. In Ontario its like 900k to 1.5m for the average house and you suppose drop 5% deposit for mortgage. Married people or common law guys are able to build wealth too due to combined income. Solution is move to a cheaper province, get married or find a partner.
2 . Cost of living- where in the world is not costly. With all the amenities, free resources, and standard of living why should it be cheap There are many people earning 3700 dols a month but staying in apartments costing 2200 dols. Is that not madness. Some are one 2500 a month but their rent is 1800 lol
3 . Boredom and loneliness- Nigerians move to a cold country and refuse to do what whites do in the winter. Whose fault is that Many ladies from Nigeria have unrealistic expectations and are single to stupor. Whose fault is that Lol
4 cold. Get a good winter jacket or knacks partner. Nothing dey there
5. Professional jobs- doctors know this before coming and should have explored uk. A friend passed the medical exams in 18months its doable. Yes there are issues with Canada experience but with constant applications and upgrading ones skills. You will be able to get in. You and i both know many people with only Nigerians experience or degrees balling in big companies

Oya come back home o.

I know people especially tech who moved to usa after getting their Canada citizenship. More money is involved and passport privileges too don set. The Canadian passport opens doors to better countries

473 Likes 45 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by remsonik(f): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
Hmmm....... This should not be o, planning on relocating there soon

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
If you really bout that life then show em you bout your business

Don’t be scheming on a hunnid in a foreign country, run up you a $milli

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by ecolime(m): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
So, when are you returning to Nigeria?

543 Likes 51 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Adedotguy: 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by BrickDevo: 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
Hmmm

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Beremx(f): 7:40pm On Aug 27, 2022
That won’t stop me from relocating to Canada my dream country. All I need now is sponsorship to move.

Nonsense Nigeria

112 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by coolest01(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
Na wah

2 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Daniel058(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
Nigeria will be great If we vote in d right person for the Job

Let's be Obidiently yusful

85 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by FreeStuffsNG: 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
They are perpetual migrants looking for what is not lost. There is no gold rush anywhere. From Qatar to EU to Cyprus to Italy to SA to Ghana to Ukraine to US to UK and now to Canada, the japa crew are now officially 'one chance' victims. Some could actually have been better in Nigeria but they never learn. Their ears are blocked.

Some crossed over and their first task was cursing Nigeria and talking down on Nigeria. Those ones are the ones Nigeria, the land where their placenta was buried, cursed back physically and spiritually. Sadly, those ones are irredeemable.

They exaggerated the challenges they faced here and some actually quitted certainty for uncertainty before reality hit them hard , unlike the prodigal son, it became too late for them to turn back and return home because of shame, regret and what those they left behind who had overtaken them in life will say.

Andrew a.ka. Mr Japa, you better repent, start blessing Nigeria so it can reverse its curses on you and come back home to start afresh before you end up in life like a snake that never leaves mark on a rock.
check my signature for free stuffs!

85 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by RaptObserver: 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
But Canada no get bandits na

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by wiseone28: 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
When will i also see snow

97 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by donprinyo(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
Una too complain i

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by sofeo(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2022
OK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by NoFucksToGive: 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2022
angry
You cap too much nonsense just for likes... No one sent you to Canada nor did anyone ask you for this trash.

Should we open a thread about why Nigerians are fleeing to Canada?

All these servants of Saboteurs disgusting as advisers .

1.Is making wealth in Nigeria easy ? No! Only through politics or crime is the only way for someone without connection to make it in Nigeria

2. Cost of living in Nigeria is too fvcking high! Just ask anyone

3. Loneliness? Misery loves company that's why Nigerians flock around you in Nigeria

4. Cold... Give me cold over mosquitoes biting me while I slap myself at night while trying to kill them

5. Getting professional jobs ... E still better pass Nigeria 1 million times over and over..

See guys and girls becareful what you read or whom you take seriously. Some people are servants of Satan sent to misguide you .

This is how the Federal government wants to prevent brain drain ? Instead of ADDRESSING why all the doctors lawyers engineers and professionals are running abroad they are employing quacks to come online and type shit. angry

Run from such people

To wipe this OP USB cord for neck just dey hungry me! angry

245 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by jaxxy(m): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2022
I'm not aware anyone is leaving tho. My only reservation is its farther than UK and abit boring or less active.

I dont hear any major news or activity from Canada.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Maxxim: 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2022
VeryWickedMan:
6. No Single Rituals Shrine

That's why I left. Useless country.
cheesy grin

12 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Emma4real333(m): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2022
cool

Okay we af hear you.

Are you already on your way back to your home Nigeria?

So watin you want make we do now?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2022
Lol. Na una wan stay Toronto na. People are doing well elsewhere. It’s like saying the cost of living in Minnesota and every part of US is high because that of California is high.

Talking about building wealth in Canada compared to the US. Canada is a country that doesn’t want huge difference between it’s low earners, middle earners and high earners. They take from the high earners to support the low earners and middle earners. Canada has always been about even distribution of wealth and I strongly believe it has contributed to the lower crime rate and making their country more secured. I’m not sure US cares about even distribution of wealth. Also there are more opportunities in the US. There are 3-5times more opportunities in the US than there is in Canada, so it’s normal to make more money in the US. You can’t compare a country with a population of approximately 50m to that of US that’s over 300m.

69 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by Franklyspeakin: 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2022
Hmm mm. Canada don cast

7 Likes

Re: Untold Truth About Why Immigrants Are Leaving Canada by deepwater(f): 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2022
Truth

But you need to strive hard to overcome
No where is easy

I think the initial problem is coming to canada with an over hyped mindset.

Come with a strong mind, a willing soul and healthy body. It may tary a while bit you would overcome

55 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (24) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Family Sponsorship Visa/appeal Process / Honesty and Contentment: My Experience In Zimbabwe. / My Regretfull Journey To Europe ( How It All Started )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.