Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,883 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:25 AM

Should I Service My Car Now? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Should I Service My Car Now? (446 Views)

Clean 7 seater Chrysler Voyager. Cute family car.now 800k / My Advise To Anyone Buying A Nigerian Used Car Now! / Get Exact Meaning Of That Warning Dashboard Light In Your Car Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Service My Car Now? by ecolime(m): 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2022
Hello guys!

I normally service mine every three months when I am in Lagos even though the usage is light. The last time I serviced was end of July.

I drove to PH from Lagos (almost 700km) yesterday. Considering the distance covered, would it be wise to service it again next weekend instead of waiting till mid October?

Also, If I may ask, how often do you guys service your car? Do you take mileage into consideration?
Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by mokset123: 6:08pm On Aug 28, 2022
For car servicing these are the factors you should consider.

1. The car manufacturer may have programmed the vehicle internal indicator to pop up the maintenance light after every 3000 to 5000 miles of driving from it's last service date

2. The quality of engine oil, for example top quality synthetic oils like mobile 1, castrol, gulf, vavoline. These oils can do 5000 to 10000 miles before servicing

3. Lastly, some would advice you service either first 3 to 6 months or first 3000 to 5000 miles depending on which comes first.

4. If you use the conventional oils for your car, change it every 1 to 2 month interval

If you follow any of the four above, then you would extend your engine life.

For your question, it depends on the quality of oil you used, the miles the car has covered for that period and the time frame based on the duration from you last service date. I hope this helps

3 Likes

Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by sunnymighty(m): 6:21pm On Aug 28, 2022
mokset123:

1. The car manufacturer may have programmed the vehicle internal indicator to pop up the maintenance light after every 3000 to 5000 miles of driving from it's last service date

2. The quality of engine oil, for example top quality synthetic oils like mobile 1, castrol, gulf, vavoline. These oils can do 5000 to 10000 miles before servicing

3. Lastly, some would advice you service either first 3 to 6 months or first 3000 to 5000 miles depending on which comes first.

4. If you use the conventional oils for your car, change it every 1 to 2 month interval

For your question, it depends on the quality of oil you used, the miles the car has covered for that period and the time frame based on the duration from you last service date. I hope this helps

Educative

1 Like

Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by ecolime(m): 6:30pm On Aug 28, 2022
mokset123:

This is very educative. I use Total motor oil.. 20W
...L quartz (I have forgotten the letterings)

What actually made me bring this up was that this morning the "Check Engine" came up on my dashboard when I warmed the car very early in the morning.

I switched it off after warming it. But the light disappeared when I was taking it to church and till I returned home.

I think it's best to service it straight away.

1 Like

Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by lagusboyyy(m): 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2022
ecolime:

What actually made me bring this up was that this morning the "Check Engine" came up on my dashboard when I warmed the car very early in the morning.

I switched it off after warming it. But the light disappeared when I was taking it to church and till I returned home.

Just service it,since your mind is there.

1 Like

Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by mokset123: 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2022
ecolime:

now your total quartz 20w 50 is a conventional oil, I suggest you service between every 1 to 2 months interval. So you can service right away

As for your check engine light, use a scanner to scan the car to pull up the stored obd code, write it down and Google what it is and post it in car talk section of nairaland

1 Like

Re: Should I Service My Car Now? by ecolime(m): 7:50pm On Aug 28, 2022
mokset123:
now your total quartz 20w 50 is a conventional oil, I suggest you service between every 1 to 2 months interval. So you can service right away

As for your check engine light, use a scanner to scan the car to pull up the stored obd code, write it down and Google what it is and post it in car talk section of nairaland
I will. Thanks a lot

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Guide To Keep The Interior Of Your Car Clean / :::SOLD SOLD 2009 Toyota Corolla Naija Neatly Manual Used 08140857737 / Nigerian Used Honda Accord Eod

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.