Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,376 members, 7,781,058 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:11 AM

Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country (6176 Views)

Most Of The Violence Reports Are Coming From Lagos. This Will Hurt Tinubu. / Tinubu Is Too Desperate, He Can Kill The Entire Country For His Ambition / It Is Not Democracy If 2023 Election Don't Reflect Nigerians Pains - Datti Baba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by TheRareGem1(f): 5:46am On Aug 29, 2022
The Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, has said it is unfitting to compare the realities of the Nigerian economy with those of other smaller African states.

He argued that at least 10 Nigerian states “have bigger GDPs than those countries”.

Osinbajo also noted that the violent reports emanating from Nigeria did not reflect the reality of the entire country which, he said, is too vast in landmass.

He noted that the international community must understand Nigeria’s population and geographic size to better grasp the enormity and complexity of her nuanced challenges.

According to a statement signed on Sunday by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Laolu Akande, Osinbajo made the argument when fielding questions from a group of Harvard Business School students who visited him on Friday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The students, who were on an African excursion, interacted with VP on leadership, faith, spirituality, government policies in education, health, economy, and national image, among others.

The statement is titled ‘Why I value transparency & social justice, by Osinbajo.’

The VP said, “First, there is a need to appreciate the size of the country, which is crucial to understanding what the issues are.

“For instance, Borno State is about the size of the whole of the United Kingdom plus Sweden or Denmark. So, when it is reported that there is violence in Nigeria, it is probably an incident in one remote area of the country, and many people in Abuja and Lagos may hear about it on social media, such is the size of this country.

When they talk about the economy, we are often compared with smaller African countries, but there are 10 states in Nigeria that have bigger GDPs than those countries. It is a huge target market.”

Responding to the question about some inaccurate characterisation of Nigeria in sections of the international community, the Vice President said “It is important to constantly engage the international community to show them how we feel about the stereotypes.

“It comes down to the work we do as government and people about the characterisation. This is why some of the work around the Ease of Doing Business etc. are all initiatives that have behind them, the whole idea that this environment is one that is welcoming to business and people can come and do business.”

On values, the Vice President noted that spirituality and commitment to such values as social justice and transparency are important, especially in situations where societal or governmental institutions are not strong enough to compel individual behaviour in a way that advances the common good.

https://punchng.com/violence-reports-dont-reflect-entire-country-says-osinbajo/?

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Michelle70(m): 5:47am On Aug 29, 2022
Social media has made everyone believe violence is everywhere.

TBH, I dont know a single peraon who was murdered either by bandits, Bokoharam, ritualists or girlfriends

My prayers to those who have lost someone though i pray never to loose one to these blood thirsty people until i jappa

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by TheRareGem1(f): 5:47am On Aug 29, 2022
Social media has done some damages to our country.

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by God1000(m): 5:50am On Aug 29, 2022
There's no need for comparison here, Brazil, Australia and Canada are extremely big as well but we don't see much violence in those countries.

The size of Brazil is about 8.516 million km², Australia 7.688 million km² and Canada 9.985 million km²

Nigeria is just about 923,768 km²

Though Nigeria's population is more than Australia and Canada combined, but our population isn't the problem.

The size of China is 9.597 million km² with a population of 1.4 billion people and the country is largely peaceful

His party has failed nigerians

Osinbajo should stop trying to defend the indefensible, I still like him though

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by NwaAdazzi(m): 6:08am On Aug 29, 2022
Same with Afghanistan,Ukraine and Russia Violence reports doesn't reflect the entire country.
In Nigeria it is shared proportionately to represent all region.I still love you sir,posterity won't be kind to dose that voted agbado over you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by okefranci: 6:16am On Aug 29, 2022
The size of the country determines the complexity of her economy and her mass land as well, Nigeria is fast expanding compare to some African countries which have 1/3 of the Nigeria population

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by okefranci: 6:20am On Aug 29, 2022
God1000:
There's no need for comparison here, Brazil, Australia and Canada are extremely big as well but we don't see much violence in those countries.

The size of Brazil is about 8.516 million km², Australia 7.688 million km² and Canada 9.985 million km²

Osinbajo should stop defending the indefensible, I still like him
Those countries you mentioned are developed countries for so many years and they took their independent for many years ago while Nigeria is developing country and still grow so stop the comparison

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Ternil4: 6:26am On Aug 29, 2022
Ok
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by aylive02(m): 6:26am On Aug 29, 2022
grin

e-Vice-President.

Where you been dey?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Crusadee: 6:27am On Aug 29, 2022
And so
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Authoreety: 6:27am On Aug 29, 2022
It dosn't change the fact that buhari and APC is a big mistake and monumental failure9 that shouldn't be repeated

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by AntiChristian: 6:28am On Aug 29, 2022
So we still have a VP in Nigeria?

O i forgot he was unwell!

Welcome back!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by donziller(m): 6:28am On Aug 29, 2022
Pastor u don well, how body
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by mmsen: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2022
God1000:

Osinbajo should stop defending the indefensible, I still like him

Brazil is one of the world's most violent nations. Canada and Australia have relatively small populations.

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by ufotunang: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2022
You have started with your lies again

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by oyeb15: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2022
He should just go and spend 3 days in his village in Ogun state and see the level of poverty.He just hide inside the comfort and abundance in Aso Villa and he's spewing trash.

This government ruined Nigeria economy. I lost my job as a graduate. I started hustling. When hustling isn't enough, I joined it with farming. Without political connection, you can't get good jobs or federal job.

Those begging ASUU should just go and find something to do with their lives. University don't guarantee u success in Nigeria again. 80 percent of what I have comes through hustling like an an illiterate.

Maybe someday, we may result to carrying AK 47 to liberate ourselves in this country. I have lost every hope already.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by parkervero(m): 6:31am On Aug 29, 2022
That's true sha
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by mmsen: 6:31am On Aug 29, 2022
okefranci:

Those countries you mentioned are developed countries for so many years and they took their independent for many years ago while Nigeria is developing country and still grow so stop the comparison

Brazil is far from a 'developed nation' and is incredibly violent.

9 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by SmellyNyash: 6:37am On Aug 29, 2022
grin
APC cabals don render this fake pastor useless.

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Ay77(m): 6:37am On Aug 29, 2022
mmsen:

Stop it. Brazil is one of the world's most violent nations. Canada and Australia have relatively small populations.

I wanted to say that too .. they had mad mafia or cartels who involv in killing and drugs smuggling to United state

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by SafariHunter(m): 6:37am On Aug 29, 2022
Osibanjo still dey?

Man didn't try at all....
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by ufotunang: 6:38am On Aug 29, 2022
The economy is good abi ..but you are borrowing money to fund the deficit budget, to pay salaries... poverty ,hunger ,hardship,unemployment, inflation, ,high cost of living every where..lack of constant power supply, ASUU on strike.. students at home for many months, bad roads, high costs of fuel, disel , kersosene, gas , 710 naira to a dollar, companies, bussiness struggling to survive the hard economy

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by iampeterben(m): 6:39am On Aug 29, 2022
Its affecting everywhere talk better.
Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Deputy1111(m): 6:41am On Aug 29, 2022
As we have good side of social media, so also we have bad side. On several occasions, a minor incident will be amplified on social media as if the whole country has been in a serious danger.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Enkidu70: 6:41am On Aug 29, 2022
TheRareGem1:

https://punchng.com/violence-reports-dont-reflect-entire-country-says-osinbajo/?

You and your man still spouting garbage from premature retirement. From 'outer darkness' grin

Shameless man

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by kaywhy09(m): 6:43am On Aug 29, 2022
So true.

Bad news is much more reported than good news.

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Queensfield(f): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2022
You want it to be reflected on the whole country and exterminate every soul before you agree there's a security failure from your govt?!

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by oyeb15: 7:00am On Aug 29, 2022
Mr VP is just an armschair scholar who speaks from his lazy comfort in Aso Rock.

What I summarily say is that Nigeria is not a good place to live.
Don't be surprised that they may kidnap somebody where you just pass in d next 30min. Missing people everyday. Abia state has the highest rate in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Violence Reports Don't Reflect Entire Country by Joylove2324(f): 7:07am On Aug 29, 2022

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwara State Gov. Bukola Saraki's Criminal Past Surfaces / kwara politics / 9 Heartbreaking Photos That Should Give You Some Perspective

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.