Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate (20847 Views)

2023: Appeal Court Reinstates All APC Candidates In Rivers State / 2023: Supreme Court Affirms Sherriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate / Sheriff Oborevwori Disqualified By High Court As Delta PDP Governorshi Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by fergie001: 3:18pm On Aug 29, 2022
A three-man panel of the Court of Appeal has set aside the sack of Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 governorship election in Delta State.

The three-man panel led by Justice Peter Ige on Monday set aside Oborevwori’s sack on the grounds that the lower court erred in law in reaching the conclusion that Oborevwori was not qualified to participate in the governorship election on account of forgery and perjury.

Justice Taiwo Taiwo of the Federal High Court Abuja had on July 7, sacked Oborevwori as the candidate of the PDP in next year’s governorship election in Delta State on grounds of alleged forgery of his academic certificates and perjury.

Justice Taiwo went ahead to order the PDP to submit the name of the person with the highest number of votes at the primary election of the PDP held on March 25.

Dissatisfied however, Oborevwori had approached the appellate court for an order setting aside his sack on the grounds that the court erred in law in ordering his removal as the candidate of the PDP.

He predicated his appeal on the grounds that the suit at the lower court was wrongly initiated and that the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the suit in the first place.

Delivering judgment in the appeal on Monday, Justice Ige agreed with the appellant that the suit filed by David Edevbie was wrongly initiated because allegations of criminal offences must be proven beyond affidavit evidences.

The court held that failure of Edevbie to call relevant witnesses was fatal to the case.

According to the judgment, the plaintiff at the lower court ought to have called relevant authorities from the institutions whose documents were forged.

The court on another issue held that the suit of Edevbie was premature because there was no reasonable cause of action.

SOURCE

Previous Thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/7216305/sheriff-oborevwori-disqualified-high-court#114512445

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by bennybuhari: 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2022
Easy victory for Omo Agege and APC

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 29, 2022
Good too
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by vicdom(m): 3:23pm On Aug 29, 2022
grin
Oh!! game on then. Only sheriff can challenge Omoagege in Delta, otherwise, he will have a landslide.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Isokiscool(m): 3:25pm On Aug 29, 2022
I no talk am....All the enemies PDP die die die.

PDP.....Power

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by ogododo: 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2022

1 Like

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Isokiscool(m): 3:27pm On Aug 29, 2022
vicdom:
grin
Omoagege has won then shocked
It will be easier for a hippopotamus to pass through d eye of a niddle than for Omon Agege to win as governor

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by UCyril: 3:28pm On Aug 29, 2022
vicdom:
grin
Oh!! game on then. Only sheriff challenge Omoagege in Delta, otherwise, he will have a landslide.
omoagege can only win in his LGA . Delta State is PDP

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by vicdom(m): 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2022
Isokiscool:
It will be easier for a hippopotamus to pass through d eye of a niddle than for Omon Agege to win as governor
Sorry, I have remodified already. I read the news in a haste, I thought the appeal court upheld the Judgement of the lower court. I know that Edevbie can never win Omogege in that election, only Sheriff can.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by chemgee: 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2022
So the die is cast: Ughelli Clan vs Okpe Clan come 2023.

It now boils down to Ibori, and to an extent Okowa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by vicdom(m): 3:31pm On Aug 29, 2022
UCyril:
omoagege can only win in his LGA . Delta State is PDP
Check again, I
have modified my comment. I read the news in haste.

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by fergie001: 3:34pm On Aug 29, 2022
vicdom:

Check again, I
have modified my comment. I read the news in haste.
Not a surprising judgement......
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by abobote: 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2022
bennybuhari:
Only if PDP loses the presidential election

1 Like

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by vicdom(m): 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2022
fergie001:
Not a surprising judgement......
I was surprised ooo....David Lyon was sacked just because of his deputy's inconsistency in his name and without needing to bring the relevant institution as a witness, so I felt that this particular one was going to go same way.

6 Likes

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by mbahdi(m): 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2022
APC is a terrorist party avoid dem

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Winters23: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2022
grin
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by fergie001: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2022
vicdom:

I was surprised ooo....David Lyon was sacked just because of his deputy's inconsistency in his name and without needing to bring the relevant institution as a witness, so I felt that this particular one was going to go same way.
1. The case was premature. The SC in Modibbo v Usman has stated that issues (cause of action) of Certificate will arise after INEC has received same from the Candidate and published. Edevbie instituted the case 2 weeks before Oborevwori's name and certificates were submitted to INEC.

2. The SC in Ibezim v Elebeke said that the the placement of names is not enough to disqualify Candidates.

3. Cases that are Contentious & criminal in nature eg forgery, et al should commence from writs and not OS. It was same in Gbadamosi v Abiru, Akpoti v Yahaya Bello et al.

4. Issues of Certificate forgery: Appeal Court in APC v Obaseki was very extensive on that.

That of Bayelsa involved the 'chameleonic' changing of names..... And he had baby lawyers, they committed him.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Abfinest007(m): 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2022
Delta state will lose eir state APC
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by myners007: 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2022
APC has won Delta state election already

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Khaysee: 3:42pm On Aug 29, 2022
Delta election Will be interesting too
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by opalu: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2022
Ok
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Goodmanamen: 3:43pm On Aug 29, 2022
We are tired of recycling under godfatherism we need a fresh hand in delta state

All youths ,graduates are suffering in delta state
Okada,pos,olosho, robbery, cultism,yahoo plus,land grabber (deve), are the major employers of labour's in delta state
cry cry cry

We need real change

2 Likes

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by cjudy(m): 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
bennybuhari:

That’s what you think. No Space for APC in Delta.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Death2allNLmod2: 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Mokason288(m): 3:44pm On Aug 29, 2022
This distraction is too early for PDP .......

The poster below me is a goat

And an enemy of peace
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Drsnives(m): 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
Deltans pls let's reject this man
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by soliddust2020: 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2022
cool
Re: 2023: Appeal Court Affirms Sheriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate by Milljack: 3:47pm On Aug 29, 2022
Ukodo okpe 2023... edebvie/Evans ivwurie and their co travellers should bury their head in shame for subjecting themselves to public opprobrium.... sheriff is as good as being the next Governor.... okowa 2 vs ibori 0..

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos Declares Zero Tolerance For Street Trading / Governors Of Bayelsa, Abia, Delta Akwa Ibom, States Arrive Owerri (pictures) / Falana To DSS: Release Sowore, Bakare And Stop Exposing Nigeria To Ridicule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.