Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants (5130 Views)

Photo: Syrian Migrants Push Away African Refugees From Boat / The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco / British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Nobody: 6:48pm On Aug 08, 2011
London: Nearly 1,000 visa applicants who are `exceptionally talented’ are to benefit from the British governments new visa regime under its Tier 1 category.

The new Exceptional Talent migration route which will take-off Aug. 9, would enable applicants in the fields of science, humanities, engineering and the arts to work in the UK.

Mr Damian Green, UK Immigration Minister who gave the new details in London said that those who have a lot to contribute positively to the economy, would continue to be welcomed.

“Our new exceptional talent route, available for up to 1000 applicants, will ensure that we continue to attract the brightest into the UK and keep the UK a global leader,’’ Green said.

He explained that the UK was a global leader in science, humanities, engineering and a centre for arts.

“This comes at a time of major reform of the immigration system to bring net migration back down to the tens of thousands, tackle abuses and make sure that the immigration system meets the needs of the country,’’ Green said.

He explained further that migrants admitted to the UK under the Tier1 Exceptional Talent category would initially be granted permission to stay for three years and four months.

NAN reports that the new route will be overseen by competent bodies that will play an advisory role to the UK Border Agency (UKBA).

The bodies include the Royal Society for Arts Council, Royal Academy of Engineering and the British Academy. (NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/british-govt-creates-1000-visas-opening-for-talented-migrants/
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by ektbear: 6:52pm On Aug 08, 2011
Poaching talent. Good for UK, sucks for whoever is losing 'em
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 7:51pm On Aug 08, 2011
ekt_bear:

Poaching talent. Good for UK, sucks for whoever is losing 'em

Sad but true
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by SEFAGO(m): 7:56pm On Aug 08, 2011
justwise:

Sad but true

The US has a similar program. The requirements are outrageous anyways. The chances of anyone getting them are low. U must either be Einstein, Adele or Pele
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 8:10pm On Aug 08, 2011
SEFAGO:

The US has a similar program. The requirements are outrageous anyways. The chances of anyone getting them are low. U must either be Einstein, Adele or Pele

I have to agree with u, they are only trying to use it to cover up harsh visa measures they brought in, but like you pointed out, very very few pple will benefit from it.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by blackis(m): 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2011
Visa categories like this one isn't meant for everyone, it is usually targeted to draw certain individuals
that possess qualities/abilities that the government thinks for whatever reasons will meet specific
goals or targets it has set. Set goals vary, it could be research in the further advancement of
science and technology, business innovation, sports or even in the field of nuclear medicine!!

The United States operates these "genius" visa categories in its H-1B and O-1 visas and
I wasn't aware the UK had any. Hmmm, now i do!! grin
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by enomakos(m): 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2011
to hell with their visa
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2011
Heheheheheheheeh

Are you f.ucking kidding me?

Why the heck do I wanna go to the UK?? grin grin grin

Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by fm7070: 2:06pm On Aug 09, 2011
Advanced Slavery.
US, UK, AU, EU = all of them will always do everything to favour their countries and citizenry.
They're giving us 1000 biscuits now, will use it to take 1,000,000 burgers from us.
Lesson to our leader/rulers. None of them has ever raised an eyebrow about the way they treat Nigerians/Africans.
Shaaaaaaammmmeeeeeeeeeee to Nigerian/African Leaders!!
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by ZE: 2:13pm On Aug 09, 2011
what happened to HSMP UK govt started 10 years ago

is it not the same thing?
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 2:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
ZE:

what happened to HSMP UK govt started 10 years ago

is it not the same thing?

They stopped that program about 3yrs ago.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 2:22pm On Aug 09, 2011
fm7070:

Advanced Slavery.
US, UK, AU, EU = all of them will always do everything to favour their countries and citizenry.
They're giving us 1000 biscuits now, will use it to take 1,000,000 burgers from us.
Lesson to our leader/rulers. None of them has ever raised an eyebrow about the way they treat Nigerians/Africans.
Shaaaaaaammmmeeeeeeeeeee to Nigerian/African Leaders!!

Of course they have to look after their own pple first, why should be look after u before their own pple? Don't you have govt?
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by tlops(m): 2:57pm On Aug 09, 2011
SEFAGO:

yeah Its 1000 visas so why complain, chances are as high as 0.0000133 knowing half of Nigeria wants to escape (with or without talent)!
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 09, 2011
make them carry their visa clean yansh! angry
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Spyker: 6:27pm On Aug 09, 2011
Visa or no visa, I am very sure even the political class in Nigeria would not allow the bright ones to apply, they will replace them with daft children or relatives.

My humble opinion, UK is good for study, come back to Naija and make cool cash. Go to UK on vacation and holidays.
But wasting years there is like building a storey building without a foundation, it will eventually turn out to be rumbles.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 6:36pm On Aug 09, 2011
Spyker:

Visa or no visa, I am very sure even the political class in Nigeria would not allow the bright ones to apply, they will replace them with daft children or relatives.

My humble opinion, UK is good for study, come back to Naija and make cool cash. Go to UK on vacation and holidays.
But wasting years there is like building a storey building without a foundation, it will eventually turn out to be rumbles.

I agree with ur first point but i don't agree with the second one. Staying in the UK works for some pple and not so good for others, just as staying in Nigeria works for some pple and failed others.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by yuzedo: 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2011
I am talented! I know how to cook indomie for my senior brother. . And I am also talented in m@stur.b@ting without soap or vaseline. Do I qualify?? cool angry undecided
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by blackis(m): 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2011
@ Spyker and Justwise

There is NO way daft children and relatives of our politicians can pull through with the visa requirements
of say the H-1B or the O-1 visa categories as administered by the US, trust me!! The H-1B visa category
in particular is the exclusive reserve of the finest of the finest!! There is more to just the submission of
paper documentation, you'll prove your mettle one on one, no go come!!  grin

I can't comment about this UK version though.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Tinyemeka(m): 8:45pm On Aug 09, 2011
Crappy crap. In making my contributions to National Development, I know where to channel my efforts. Anytime I feel like going to the UK for whatsoever reason, I would do so of my own accord and not to be tempted to the place as an intellectual slave.

So only the best of brains are preffered abi? Neo-colonialism with a pull approach this time. The crappy visa can go to bleeding blazes.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Tinyemeka(m): 8:58pm On Aug 09, 2011
yuzedo:

I am talented! I know how to cook indomie for my senior brother. . And I am also talented in m@stur.b@ting without soap or vaseline. Do I qualify?? cool angry undecided
Laffs. Sick fella. See the kind of thing you post.

Try the U.S though. You may qualify.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 9:25pm On Aug 09, 2011
Tinyemeka:

Crappy crap. In making my contributions to National Development, I know where to channel my efforts. Anytime I feel like going to the UK for whatsoever reason, I would do so of my own accord and not to be tempted to the place as an intellectual slave.

So only the best of brains are preffered abi? Neo-colonialism with a pull approach this time. The crappy visa can go to bleeding blazes.

Actually its by choice, you don't have to apply.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by mamagee3(f): 10:13pm On Aug 09, 2011
Some of the country is in flames and in crisis. . .

And this clown of a poster is talking of 1,000 U.K. visa openings to britain. grin grin grin
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Abuna: 10:34pm On Aug 09, 2011
yuzedo:

Perv! tongue
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by Tinyemeka(m): 11:07pm On Aug 09, 2011
justwise:

Actually its by choice, you don't have to apply.

I never indicated any interest in having the need to apply.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by zikclassiq(m): 8:30am On Aug 10, 2011
Meaning i need to have a 1st class, speak queen's english, be the best student in my state with an award from the govenor published in newspapers***no be small tin o!
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by dabrake(m): 10:14am On Aug 10, 2011
Abegi, whu hv tym jooh. So na b'cuz dem nid economy improvement, na him make dem com rmemba sey 9ja get gud pple. Buh mi think sey 9ja na home 2 terrorist nah. Abegi jooh
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by SoundNeTim(m): 10:33am On Aug 10, 2011
, I wonder when the Nigerian government will hunt for talented migrants from the rest of the world

1 Like

Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by sylve11: 12:55pm On Aug 10, 2011
i beat women alot, is that not considered a talent? am i not qualify? sad cool cool
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by justwise(m): 12:56pm On Aug 10, 2011
sylve11:

i beat women alot, is that not considered a talent? am i not qualify? sad cool cool

Hmmmmm. . .no your application will be forwarded to Somalian embassy for processing grin grin
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by worry246(m): 1:11pm On Aug 10, 2011
SoundNeTim:

, I wonder when the Nigerian government will hunt for talented migrants from the rest of the world

Plenty of skilled Chinese & Indians working in Nigeria doing skilled jobs Computers & accounting & Banking in place of graduates from Nigerian schools.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by AjanleKoko: 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2011
worry246:

Plenty of skilled Chinese & Indians working in Nigeria doing skilled jobs Computers & accounting & Banking in place of graduates from Nigerian schools.

Sorry mate, you gbagaun-ed right there.
Chinese and Indians don't even own a bank in Nigeria talk less of working in one. Chinese in Nigeria do semi-skilled labour in construction, strictly on projects funded by Chinese or being implemented by Chinese companies. Essentially, Chinese work only in Chinese-owned businesses.

Indians work just about anywhere, but not in finance and banking. More in telecoms, not even IT. They are better off than Chinese in Nigeria, they've been around longer.  But apart from telcos, Indians generally work in Indian-owned businesses like Park N Shop, Dana, etc.

Wetin you take Nigeria for sef?

@Topic,
Don't be surprised if we find some Nigerians making it into that 1,000 every year. Don't forget we are number six in terms of population, and we do have our share of smart people. Though that stuff is probably targeted at Chinese or something, with all the Indians and Pakis in Britain, I doubt they'd need any new category of visa to get in.
Re: British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants by SoundNeTim(m): 8:37am On Aug 11, 2011
Ajanlekoko, thanks for d brief education. Our govt might not be into talent hunt development and we don't accept junks either.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NRC Expects Nigeria To Be Linked By Rail Line Within The Next 5 - 10 Years / Horrific Crash Involving Petrol Tanker On Lagos-Ibadan Road / I'm A 24 Year Old Lady Relocating To Canada Or Australia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.