Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

The Nigerian Who Built A Car - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Who Built A Car (6844 Views)

The Cement Roads Being Built By Ikpeazu In Aba. / Notice:buhari Never Built A Single Refinery / Nigerian Who May Become First Black British PM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Afanna1: 6:19am On Aug 09, 2011
The man who built a car

By Adeola Adeyemo

A[b]ugust 6, 2011 11:56PM

When Sunday Okpere was seven, he made toy cars using empty milk cans, short ropes and small twigs, which he happily dragged around the streets in his hometown in Edo State; while at the same time nursing the dream of building a real car.

Today, Mr Okpere drives a red and black car, which he named ‘Rock Auto,' around the streets of Lagos; a car which he designed and coupled from start to finish with locally-sourced materials.

Despite the death of his father and the attendant financial and emotional setback to the family, Mr Okpere said "making a car" was something he knew he wanted to do at a young age when he discovered his creative spirit.

"When I was a young boy, I used to make car with cans," said Mr Okpere, 35, who relocated with his family from Lagos to Edo State in the late 70's.

"All my friends in my neighbourhood will gather around me and say I should make for them. From cars, I started making guns.Anything I was interested in, I tried to make on my own."

"In secondary school, my teacher in school asked me what I wanted to be in future and I said I want to be an engineer," he said.

Return to Lagos

Armed with his dream, Mr Okpere returned to Lagos in 1990. He recalled how difficult it was then, struggling to help his mother and schooling. He could not further his education after completing secondary school due to financial difficulties, but this did not deter his dream. His interest in cars led him to an automobile workshop in Oyadiran Estate, Sabo, Yaba, where he trained for seven years as an auto mechanic.

He garnered so much skills there that his employer didn't want him to leave.

"My boss didn't want me to leave him. He kept me for some time and was paying me but later I had to leave to find my own life," he said.He worked for a while with a petroleum company in Ikoyi where he was responsible for maintaining all the cars used by the company. While there, he got some experience working on ships, as his Italian boss taught him a couple of things, he said.

Today, he works with Tag 4 Armour Nigeria, a company that sells and services armoured vehicles for police, banks and individuals. For Mr Okpere, every work experience he's had was a foundation block for achieving his dream.

In July 2010, he started putting pieces of his car together, a journey which took him six months to complete.

"I did a lot of research on the Internet before I came up with the engine design and parts that I used. I had to work hard.

"I saved my salary for many months. I think a lot, I don't drink; I don't go to beer parlour. You can't see me there. How can I achieve my own dreams? That was my focus then. I said to myself, I want to build a car, how can I go about it?"

Copying the master

According to Mr Okpere, many people mocked him when he started building his car. Some called him a mad man, many laughed at him.But the story of Henry Ford was one thing that greatly inspired him.

"When I read the story of Henry Ford, I saw that his lifestyle was similar to my own. At the age of 12 years, he started helping his father and going for apprenticeship on how to design engine models. I thought that if he can do it, I can do it."

The process of building the car came with a lot of challenges that threatened to discourage him at certain points, he said, but he kept his ground.

"I made a lot of mistakes," he recalled. "I spent a lot of time and money on the windscreen.

"The first one I got didn't work, it got damaged. The second one, the same thing. Until I got the third one, then I succeeded. You have to keep trying. It's not when it doesn't work then you think you have failed. You must try again."

Another trying moment came when he wanted to test-drive the car. This he had to do alone. After driving it around for a while, he wanted to see the performance at a ‘C' bend on Bourdillon Road, Ikoyi, a place he said accidents occur quite often. "I wanted to see the balance of the car so I entered the bend with speed, thinking it was going to shift, but the car was fine.

"Then I started laughing out loud; people were just looking at me. I gave God the glory immediately."

Today, Mr Okpere is so proud of his car, a V6 four stroke engine, that he would be happy to let any engineer test-drive it. For him, safety was his priority when designing the car which is why he built it with strong iron pillars which cannot compress in such a way that it would injure the occupants in case of any accident.

He is grateful to God who has been with him all the way and encourages young people to pursue their dreams regardless of where they come from.

"I grew up in the street. I was a street boy. God picked me out of the street and he crowned me with his glory."
[/b]

http://www.talkofnaija.com/News/newsdetailsone.aspx?NewsId=205A84B0-83BC-4F7E-96EA-700B7CC54C86

Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by obamamate: 8:16am On Aug 09, 2011
Okpere na Igbo name ?
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 8:18am On Aug 09, 2011
happy for the man cheesy cheesy cheesy

God his truly blessed you. wink
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by gidson12(m): 8:32am On Aug 09, 2011
obamamate:

Okpere na Igbo name ?
kai! see wetin tribalism dey cos
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 8:34am On Aug 09, 2011
gidson12:

kai! see wetin tribalism dey cos

how is it tribalism

the name is used by edo and urhobo people as well

so he asked, Is Okpere an igbo names? ( only igbos use it)
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by gidson12(m): 8:43am On Aug 09, 2011
^^i wasn't refering to your statement as tribalistic, i was only pointing out the OP 's error for branding the man an ibo,,
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 9:00am On Aug 09, 2011
gidson12:

^^i wasn't refering to your statement as tribalistic, i was only pointing out the OP 's error for branding the man an ibo,,

oh

my mistake if u were refering to afanna
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by chino11(m): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2011
^^^^ It implies that its only an Igboman that has such brain like oyibo to produce such, because after the oyiboman the next person on the line is an Iboman. Even the names as highlighted are synonymous.
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Greenpro: 10:55am On Aug 09, 2011
Igbo man assemble a car. ok
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Rgp92: 11:19am On Aug 09, 2011
chino11:

^^^^ It implies that its only an Igboman that has such brain like oyibo to produce such, because after the oyiboman the next person on the line is an Iboman. Even the names as highlighted are synonymous.

too much inferiority complex. I feel sorry for you cry
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by chino11(m): 11:31am On Aug 09, 2011
Rgp92:

too much inferiority complex. I feel sorry for you cry

Your frustration is getting out of hand, why not you hug a transformer or better still jump into a lake grin grin grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Rgp92: 11:43am On Aug 09, 2011
chino11:

Your frustration is getting out of hand, why not you hug a transformer or better still jump into a lake grin grin grin grin

no no, you're the one that should hug a transformer. The world dont need people like you cry
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by chino11(m): 11:56am On Aug 09, 2011
Rgp92:

no no, you're the one that should hug a transformer. The world dont need people like you cry

Your just being idiotic, the world does not need you and yoroobah people like you because they are the problem of Nigeria. In Nigeria today its only an Igboman who uses the God given power to think and bring it to fruition. Check the history to get it confirmed
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Rgp92: 12:05pm On Aug 09, 2011
chino11:

Your just being idiotic, the world does not need you and yoroobah people like you because they are the problem of Nigeria. In Nigeria today its only an Igboman who uses the God given power to think and bring it to fruition. Check the history to get it confirmed

You really are stupid smiley Anyway how old are you? tongue Dont be afraid tell me so that i can help you
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 12:11pm On Aug 09, 2011
chino11:

Lol

actually the man is NOT IGBO

but from edo

go research on him

Talk of hatching ur egg before it is laid cry cry cry embarassed

well goodluch with ur ego superiority complex wink
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Rgp92: 12:16pm On Aug 09, 2011
Alj_haram leave the poor guy alone cry He needs help. Lets try to help him
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by T9ksy(m): 12:20pm On Aug 09, 2011
Rgp92:

Alj_haram leave the poor guy alone cry He needs help. Lets try to help him

Help ke? can't you see the poor old chap is beyond redemption?

He's a lost cause o. Just let him be.

Eventually, he will do us all a favour by taking a long walk. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 12:29pm On Aug 09, 2011
I actually admire the man

here is a video of the car in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w_srf3KrdY

When Sunday Okpere was seven, he made toy cars using empty milk cans, short ropes and small twigs, which he happily dragged around the streets in his hometown in Edo State; while at the same time nursing the dream of building a real car.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/5731920-147/the_man_who_built_a_car.csp

so chino edo urhobo and I think itsekiris use this names as well

not everyone named Ajao, Ojo, Ade is yoruba, they may be edo, igala etc

Not everyone named Atiku is fulani, they maybe yoruba, kanuri etc

chino relax eh smiley
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by sweetgala(m): 12:38pm On Aug 09, 2011

Why must some individuals of igbo lineage relegate themselves to launching offensive attacks on the yoruba ethnic group as a defensive tool when accosted in a civil conversation . I know most igbo people with intellect have morals and would desist but why do some people resolve to such childish demeanor. The OP is wrong to site the man as an igbo man because that taken away his nationality and advances the cause of ethnic bigotry
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by aljharem3: 12:46pm On Aug 09, 2011
sweet_gala:

Why must some individuals of igbo lineage relegate themselves to launching offensive attacks on the yoruba ethnic group as a defensive tool when accosted in a civil conversation . I know most igbo people with intellect have morals and would desist but why do some people resolve to such childish demeanor. The OP is wrong to site the man as an igbo man because that taken away his nationality and advances the cause of ethnic bigotry

my brother/sister It is not only yorubas but northerners as well

it is jealousy, hate and envy but what do we do ? grin grin grin

Best thing is to show love to defeat hate wink

hate is something that burns the heart, by using love, it is like cold water to the heart which dowses the heat cheesy

so keep showing love to them and don't insult them back, that way they will also learn to love cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Afanna1: 6:32pm On Aug 09, 2011
okpere sound Delta  . lipsrsealed
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by AndreUweh(m): 7:11pm On Aug 09, 2011
#Afanna:

okpere sound Delta . lipsrsealed
Is Delta an Ethnic group?.
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by seanet02: 8:18pm On Aug 09, 2011
Built a Car is Different from Design. Body Building is something my kids can do. So shaat ap
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by obamamate: 8:04am On Aug 10, 2011
The article talks about the guys hometown in Edo state.
Secondly the name is certainly not Igbo.
We should stop being too tribe conscious. It takes us to no where
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by tck2000(m): 8:32pm On Jun 01, 2019
ghn
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Mystiquefia: 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2019
chino11:

Kai this one pain am

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by drjeffrey899: 12:04pm On Jun 04, 2019
Don't failed to see the light. Money, powers, fame, and wealth become your title in just three days. If interested to join the illuminati brotherhood headquarters at (U.S.A) Email > ILLUMINATIAMGLOBAL@GMAIL.COM. Call or whatsapp on   +2349054710286 .or text us @ +2349054710286. Inbox me For your online initiation. No matter where you are. No distance can affect the work of our great baphomet. Contact us today and say yes to your dreams.

Hail Baphomet........

Don't failed to see the light. Money, powers, fame, and wealth become your title in just three days. If interested to join the illuminati brotherhood headquarters at (U.S.A) Email > ILLUMINATIAMGLOBAL@GMAIL.COM. Call or whatsapp on   +2349054710286 .or text us @ +2349054710286. Inbox me For your online initiation. No matter where you are. No distance can affect the work of our great baphomet. Contact us today and say yes to your dreams.

Hail Baphomet........

Hail Baphomet........
Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by akjol: 6:45am On Jun 05, 2019
hmmmm me

Re: The Nigerian Who Built A Car by Ultimatezlant: 6:52am On Jun 05, 2019
Okpere is esan in edo for those of you confused and chest beating over nothing up there

(1) (Reply)

Ebonyi Pensioners Smile Again / Bill To Ban Female Driving In Kano Underway / Kogi: Tribunal Adjourns Indefinitely For SDP’s Election Materials Inspection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.