Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,149 members, 7,807,484 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:05 PM

FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy (21443 Views)

FG Makes Fresh Offer, ASUU Insists On UTAS / Ngige Threatens Striking Doctors With No-Work, No-Pay Policy / FG Slams N50bn Fine On Anambra For Defacing Land In Awka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by adenigga(m): 9:56pm On Sep 03, 2022
The Minister of State for Education, Goodluck Nanah Opiah has slammed the Academic Staff Union University over the lingering impasse between the union and the Federal Government.

Opiah, while expressing dismay over the more than the 200 days old strike embarked upon by ASUU since February 14th, 2022, said the Federal Government has done his best to resolve the issues raised by ASUU but they have been adamant to call off the strike.

The minister who spoke when he visited Federal University Lokoja, Kogi State said the ‘no work no pay’ policy stands.

He said, “The Federal Government cannot pay lecturers for what they did not work for. The strike has continued to portray the country in a bad light and has succeeded in causing more pains for parents and students.”

He said that the federal government has done so much on infrastructural development in all higher institutions across the country.

He charged the Vice chancellor of FUL Prof. Olayemi Akinwumi to appeal to lecturers to come back to work adding that, there prolonged stay at home has done more harm than good to the future of Nigerian Students.

He said, “The Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari has done so much especially in infrastructural development in our tertiary institution. Because, anywhere you go, you will see the presence of TETFUND, buildings, vehicles and all manners of institutional assets.

“Those who think that lack of infrastructure is one of the reasons they went on strike should think again. Mr Vice Chancellor, let me use this opportunity to appeal to you, to also appeal to our lecturers to come back to work because our children are suffering.

“Our country’s image is going lower. Our parents are not happy, and these lecturers are also parents to some of our students. Contrary to what they think, some of us also have our Children in Nigeria Universities and they are also suffering.

“Although, if we stay on strike forever, it means our Children will be out of School forever. It is not in our own interest. There is nothing that has gone wrong that we cannot get corrected through dialogue. I know that, almost everything that ASUU brought forth for discussion between the Federal Government has been resolved.

“Except that, now that ASUU want to be paid for all the six month that they were absent from duty. And the Federal Government is saying no we cannot pay for those days you did not work. For once, let us activate the principle of no work no pay which is natural. It is only a thief that goes to eat where he didn’t work.

“And so if there should be any appeal for Federal Government to do otherwise, Lecturers should come back to the class room to beg and appeal and renegotiate because this thing is no longer funny”.
Source: https://punchng.com/FG-slams-ASUU-insists-on-no-work-no-pay

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Onucs(m): 10:05pm On Sep 03, 2022
I am with the FG on this one. NO WORK, NO PAY Jhoor!

204 Likes 19 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by ThinkSmarter: 10:31pm On Sep 03, 2022
ASUU is selfishly inclined.
They are disguising to be fighting for the welfare of the students but in truth they are much after their own interests.
TetFund is doing wonders in our varsities.
Their building Projects are classy.
I am neither a govt official nor an APC member.
I a concerned Nigerian citizen

162 Likes 14 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by NoIgboSoundTueh: 10:39pm On Sep 03, 2022
Someone said ASUU is asking for ransome using students academic life as hostage

204 Likes 14 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by yomi961: 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2022
Hmmmn
The demonic government strikes again, no wonder tinubu is distancing themselves from buhari.
The only solution is for the students and indeed the youths to be atikulated
Atiku has demonstrated his capacity before now in his management of personal and private business concerns, including education.
He can take it higher and deploy similar abilities on the nation's vast space.

Vote PDP
PDP power to the people

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by yomi961: 10:53pm On Sep 03, 2022
ThinkSmarter:
They are disguising to be fighting for the welfare of the students but in truth they are much after their own interests.

exactly what a government attack dog will say.
No money yet you donated billions to niger,
no money but the accountant general stole billions,
yet a professor is paid peanuts.
You only blame the lecturers fighting for the good of the educational sector, something you would not understand, because you have sold your conscience for the crumbs of the master's table.

98 Likes 14 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by FreeStuffsNG: 12:02am On Sep 04, 2022
Onucs:

191 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by KanwuliaExtra: 12:06am On Sep 04, 2022
Supported.

Online school only.✅

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Amspecial: 4:33am On Sep 04, 2022
angry
Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Akinsete19(m): 4:33am On Sep 04, 2022
God punishes everyone sitting on other Nigerian's future and progresses.

13 Likes

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Nobody: 4:34am On Sep 04, 2022
Assu is a cartel & buhari isn't a saint either.

Same goes to Tinubu, obi & Atiku

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Madmazel99(m): 4:35am On Sep 04, 2022
ASUU should forfeit this 6 month salary and resume back for the sake of the students.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Omonieme: 4:38am On Sep 04, 2022
Universities being closed for over 200 days is just one evidence of Nigeria being a failed nation. No serious country's apex institutions that should be driving research to make the nation a better place should be on lock for even 14 days not to talk of 200 days and counting with no end in sight. As for ASUU, while their demands are valid, who comes to equity must come with clean hands. ASUU's members are VCs and administrators of universities. Maybe they also should demand accountability on how much these schools raise in IGR and how such are expended. Not to also forget that several documented cases of ASUU members destroying the educational system they soo claim they are protecting by collecting gratifications for marks, extorting students through substandard text books at outrageous sums, leaving their places of assignments for hustles in private universities amongst other infractions.
Summary, while ASUU shouldn't take a sanctimonious stand and act as if they are in a battle to save Nigerian tertiary institutions (which they've contributed in a large part to its current state), the onus is on the government to get an agreement with ASUU and soon... Maybe an agreement tto pay 3 months arrears should made to ensure students return to schools as soon as possible.
While on this issue of students returning to school, please click on my profile if you're interested in getting a car. I've got several makes and models all with genuine clearance papers and all at prices that you can bet will leave a good taste in your mouth... Make una buy make I for see money give my siblings go school if ASUU call off abeg

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by fernandoc(m): 4:39am On Sep 04, 2022
The audacity of a Buffoon to refer to every academic in a nation as big as Nigeria as thieves. And some people are clapping for him because he was appointed junior minister. APC government and propaganda, they will leave the main issue and continue chasing shadows.
If the “thieves” decides to turn around and insist you pay them every dime they are legitimately owed you will also in turn refer to them as selfish, wicked and insensitive.
You have never for one day referred to the so called accountant general who stole 170 billion as a thief.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Ooe33: 4:40am On Sep 04, 2022
Even if there was money, paying lecturers will be a waste. I'd rather they shared all accrued amount being claimed by ASUU to students for data. Just for the sake of it.
ASUU papa. I pray FG doesn't play ball just because of 2023.

yomi961:
exactly what a government attack dog will say.
No money yet you donated billions to niger,
no money but the accountant general stole billions,
yet a professor is paid peanuts.
You only blame the lecturers fighting for the good of the educational sector, something you would not understand, because you have sold your conscience for the crumbs of the master's table.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Tinubuwins2023e: 4:43am On Sep 04, 2022
I love the quote "It is only a thief that goes to eat where he didn’t work"
ASUU members are thieves and if we look through very carefully and logically, they are fighting for there own selfish interest and not to better the educational sector. If there needs have already been met, they should be happy and go back to the classroom and let go the 6 months salary they didn't work for as a sacrifice for the struggle and for the interest of the students. You cant eat your cake and have it
It's not as if the will add value to the educational sector more than they have been doing already before there needs were met.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Houseofglam7(f): 4:44am On Sep 04, 2022
undecided
Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by tegrianonigltd(m): 4:47am On Sep 04, 2022
ThinkSmarter:

Where councilor Dey earn like professor, concerned Nigerian indeed, go read up how Ghana is transforming their educational sector.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by SaLongs1(m): 4:50am On Sep 04, 2022
It was one of the reasons that brought APC to power in my state, the issue of no work no pay and yet the looters are having a field day stealing money that could have paid off the striking lecturers.

10 Likes

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by kolakolex: 4:50am On Sep 04, 2022
Madmazel99:
ASUU should forfeit this 6 month salary and resume back for the sake of the students.

It's not that easy .Most of them have no other source (s) of income.i can't imagine the Debt some of them are already owning for this six month strike.

10 Likes

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by inoki247: 4:51am On Sep 04, 2022
tegrianonigltd:

Where councilor Dey earn like professor, concerned Nigerian indeed, go read up how Ghana is transforming their educational sector.

Transforming please how much his dere schl fees in Ghana let's start from dere...

or you will not compare the schl fees before you talk about Transformation....

Here people still pay as low as 30k yearly...

Calculate the Ghs to Naira and tell me how much you see there....

As the money be like say he no much in digit that amount is not easy to earn for an average Ghanaian....

You people just come online to compare what you see online and you've not experience yourself.....

16 Likes

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Throwback: 4:51am On Sep 04, 2022
NoIgboSoundTueh:
Someone said ASUU is asking for ransome using students academic life as hostage

That has always been the case.

They negotiate their ransome using the future of Nigerian students as their bargaining chip.

190 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by NezzyMike: 4:51am On Sep 04, 2022
Onucs:

Don't you think it will be at the detriment of the students? Some uncompleted sessions they were supposed to be paid will be scrapped? New intakes will not be registered while some final years will not graduate due to no CGPA?

Well it's Buhari's problem and that of parents.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Nobody: 4:51am On Sep 04, 2022
Yea. No work No pay. I like the part where the minister said “it’s only a thief that goes to eat where he didn’t work”. You don’t expect to be paid when you have been at home for 6 months. Nevertheless, thunder will still fire this APC government.

udeh3:

Are you aware that the lost topics will be taught, project students will be attended to, etc. If you don't pay them, it's simple, when the FG meets their requirements, they'll resume and when they do, they'll proceed to a new session, meaning, no results, no one graduates since they weren't paid for.

Senseless govt

This doesn’t make any sense. There’s nothing ASUU or the FG can do to recover the months students have lost in school due to this strike. The lecturers have to attend to project students, they have to teach “topics”. It’s their job. The fact here is that they haven’t performed their duties since February 14 2022, so they don’t deserve to be paid. If they perform these duties next year, pay them for next year. Simple.

Lol. Resume and proceed to new session when you haven’t completed the last one? Omo, I don’t want to laugh. I am trying to make out something sensible from this reply, I just can’t. Maybe na hugger dey do me because I don’t understand.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by NezzyMike: 4:52am On Sep 04, 2022
Tinubuwins2023e:
I love the quote "It is only a thief that goes to eat where he didn’t work"
ASUU members are thieves and if we look through very carefully and logically, they are fighting for there own selfish interest and not to better the educational sector. If there needs have already been met, they should be happy and go back to the classroom and let go the 6 months salary they didn't work for as a sacrifice for the struggle and for the interest of the students.
It's not as if the will add value to the educational sector more than they have been doing already before there needs were met.

This is shameful to read.

6 Likes

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by NezzyMike: 4:54am On Sep 04, 2022
yomi961:
Hmmmn
The demonic government strikes again, no wonder tinubu is distancing themselves from buhari.
Atiku has demonstrated his capacity before now in his management of personal and private business concerns, including education.

Vote PDP
PDP power to the people

Atiku wants to privatise federal Universities, who can afford it when it happens?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Nobody: 4:54am On Sep 04, 2022
NezzyMike:

Atiku wants to privatise federal Universities, who can afford it when it happens?

Atiku just wants to privatize everything. That man should not smell Aso Rock o. He looks like someone that will privatize everything and mortgage the future of Nigeria.

Franklyspeakin:
Atiku has plans to privatize all federal universities. I wonder if the common man would be able to afford education then.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Franklyspeakin: 4:55am On Sep 04, 2022
Deceptive govt

1 Like

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 04, 2022
kolakolex:

It's not that easy .Most of them have no other source (s) of income.i can't imagine the Debt some of them are already owning for this six month strike.
So who sent them to go on strike? You don’t have any other source(s) of income, you rushed and embark on an industrial strike without considering the effect it will have on you? FG should not pay anything, it’s because they always paid for going on strike that’s why they are quick to embark on one.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Slams ASUU, Insists On No-Work-No-Pay Policy by Franklyspeakin: 4:59am On Sep 04, 2022
Atiku has plans to privatize all federal universities. I wonder if the common man would be able to afford education then.

yomi961:
Hmmmn

Vote PDP
PDP power to the people

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Commissions NNPP Office In Jos (Pictures) / FG Awards Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway To Hitech / Breaking: Bomb Blows Off Yobe Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.