Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,707 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King (2906 Views)

Martin Onovo On Sunrisedailynow: Presenters Taken To The Cleaners / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years / Meet David Oyelowo: Nigerian-British Hollywood Actor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by HiMag: 4:55pm On Aug 09, 2011
http://www.himagazine.tv/articles/357/David-Oyelowo-Stars-As-The-Iconic-Martin-Luther-King

Hollywood has discovered another rising Nigerian talent in David Oyelowo as he stars in ‘The Rise of the Planet of the Apes’, as the sinister corporate boss Steve Jacobs. The movie is a re-boot of the famous franchise launched by Charlton Heston in 1968’s ‘Planet of the Apes’.

Perhaps what's more interesting is that Just like the theater-trained Nigerian actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor, who made the transition from the London stage to Hollywood stardom. Oyelowo is set to walk the same path as he takes on his biggest role yet, portraying Martin Luther King Jr., in Lee Daniels’ ‘Selma’.

Oyelowo first attended a youth theatre after being invited by a girl to whom he was attracted. He then studied Theatre Studies for A level and his teacher suggested he should become an actor. After A levels Oyelowo enrolled for a year on an Art foundation course before being funded through training at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art by Nicholas Hytner. Having been offered television work Oyelowo left LAMDA before completing the course.

It hasn’t been a quick rise for the actor as he has been an actor for 13 years. Besides the time spent training at LAMDA, he spent three years at The Royal Shakespeare Company and did the spy show for three years.

While the movie is still in development, some have cast doubt over the choice of Oyelowo to play the iconic role which might prove challenging to the actor. ‘What’s daunting to me is not what people will think or say, but it’s about doing justice, not to the icon, but the man. My energy will go into how I in 90 odd minutes encapsulate such an incredibly complex, dynamic, sacrificial, no doubt tormented, conscious-led human being’, said Oyelowo.

‘Selma’ revolves around Martin Luther King, Jr’s historic marches through Selma, Alabama in 1965. It is not a biopic but a depiction of events. The events themselves merit a focused storyline, considering the horrendous results now known as 'Bloody Sunday.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 09, 2011
he had such a small part in the RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES that i will have to see him in a better movie (acting wise) before making my judgment on his acting skills although, from the little i saw, he was ok (was even wondering why they didnt cast a well known actor for his part in ROTPOTA)
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by semid4lyfe(m): 11:38pm On Aug 09, 2011
I haven't seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes but if it's the same David Oyelowo that was in the Niger-Delta film, Blood and Oil [2010], then hin no sabi act.

Just my two cents wink
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by obinna5000(m): 10:16am On Aug 10, 2011
semid4lyfe:

I haven't seen Rise of the Planet of the Apes but if it's the same David Oyelowo that was in the Niger-Delta film, Blood and Oil [2010], then hin no sabi act.

Just my two cents wink

@semid4lyfe
Yeah! David Oyelowo was in that TV movie.
He was also in The Last King of Scotland (2006). He played Dr. Junju.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by enomakos(m): 11:28am On Aug 10, 2011
hoping to watch the movie
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by buzugee(m): 11:30am On Aug 10, 2011
i have seen him in many movies. he was in a movie with sanaa lathan. he was an african who came to america to study. a rasin in the sun. p diddy was in it and phylicia rashad. he was also in spooks in britain. hmmmm what i have noticed about nigerian actors like chiewetel and oyelowo ? they do not have stage presence. i dont see them been able to carry a movie by themselves. they dont have that presence that makes you take notice. the kinda presence you see in like say a denzel washington, a will smith, agbaje akkinuoye, laurence fishburne, samuel jackson.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by cinzo: 11:49am On Aug 10, 2011
buzugee:

i have seen him in many movies. he was in a movie with sanaa lathan. he was an african who came to america to study. a rasin in the sun. p diddy was in it and phylicia rashad. he was also in spooks in britain. hmmmm what i have noticed about nigerian actors like chiewetel and oyelowo ? they do not have stage presence. i dont see them been able to carry a movie by themselves. they dont have that presence that makes you take notice. the kinda presence you see in like say a denzel washington, a will smith, agbaje akkinuoye, laurence fishburne, samuel jackson.

HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN PUFF-PUFF grin
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by buzugee(m): 11:57am On Aug 10, 2011
cinzo:

HALF BREAD IS BETTER THAN PUFF-PUFF grin
grin tru
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by dustydee: 1:11pm On Aug 10, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Just my two cents wink

Have you heard the word "improvement"? He may have improved.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 10, 2011
buzugee:

he played in RAISIN IN THE SUN?! woah, i guess he really doesnt have a stage presence.

enomakos:

hoping to watch the movie

the streaming links to watch the movie NOW are on the movie thread
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by tpia5: 1:39pm On Aug 10, 2011
stage presence is very important.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by ogbongzky(m): 2:19pm On Aug 10, 2011
instead of some to appreciate this, they will be there beefing. mtchew
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by obinna5000(m): 3:33pm On Aug 10, 2011
@MRbrownJAY
Enomakos is referring to 'Selma' and not 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes'.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 10, 2011
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 10, 2011
@Obinna5000
oh really?! my bad, but hey you know me, always in the mood to promote a good movie, lol!
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 10, 2011
buzugee:

Have you watched redbelt? Chiwetel carried the movie well i'll say as he was the lead actor. i think its too quick to judge. it's all about improvement. the more they act, the better they become
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 10, 2011
pash4naija:

Have you watched redbelt? Chiwetel carried the movie well i'll say as he was the lead actor. i think its too quick to judge. it's all about improvement. the more they act, the better they become

i dont like one ounce of what you wrote above in bold. nobody should get a lead role in a movie if they cant properly play their part to a T. let them go and learn AND THEN come and deliver.
what are we, guinea pigs for testing their acting skills?
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Gbenge77(m): 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
Fantastic
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by Dollycaspy: 12:10am On Aug 12, 2011
omo_to_dun:

I don't understand. Isn't Oyelowo a Brit? What is with Nigerians and claiming someone because they are of Nigerian descent?
David Oyelowo is indeed Nigerian, we were classmates in secondary school before he returned to the uk in like 1990 or thereabout. Though he was called Tokunbo Oyelowo then, that's his Yoruba name.
Re: Nigeria's David Oyelowo Stars As The Iconic Martin Luther King by tpia5: 2:40am On Aug 12, 2011
is oyelowo a british name or what's the problem?

(1) (Reply)

Who Watches 'Passions'? / Have Any Paid For Online Nollywood Tube. Http://nollyniozgate.com/landing / Peeping Tom Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.