Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,831 members, 7,802,661 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. - Phones (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. (25519 Views)

The Lady Behind The MTN Voice (Photo, Video) / Data Sim Or Unlimited Cheat Needed. 10k Is My Budget / This Is How Fast MTN 5G Network Is! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 10:43am On Dec 26, 2022
dustmalik:

You need a 5G MiFi that supports band N78 to access MTN 5G, and I don't think there is a 5G MiFi in the Nigerian market at the moment. However, if you can get a universal MiFi that supports 5G band N78, then yes, it will work.
By the way, 5G MiFis are very expensive.
Okay cool. I remember you mentioned some devices not working even though they support n78; iPhone 12, Samsungs. Could it also be that MTN locked support considering the 5G has to be activated in their office or is it plug and play? Thanks
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 11:10am On Dec 26, 2022
ColeworldMD:
Okay cool. I remember you mentioned some devices not working even though they support n78; iPhone 12, Samsungs. Could it also be that MTN locked support considering the 5G has to be activated in their office or is it plug and play? Thanks
For iPhones, Apple, by default, doesn't support 5G networks. A carrier (MTN) has to ask Apple to include support for its own 5G network via software update. Apple has included support recently for MTN 5G via the Beta software program. So, if you have an iPhone 12, 13, 14, opt into the beta program, and download and install the lastest beta. Thereafter, you should be getting the 5G network. In the future, regular iPhone updates will continue to support MTN 5G.

For Samsung, it's the same for some of their devices, especially flagships. However, unlike Apple, Samsung is yet to officially push support for MTN 5G. So, you may find that MTN 5G works on Samsung devices and not others, even though they are same model, but different variant.

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2022
dustmalik:

For iPhones, Apple, by default, doesn't support 5G networks. A carrier (MTN) has to ask Apple to include support for its own 5G network via software update. Apple has included support recently for MTN 5G via the Beta software program. So, if you have an iPhone 12, 13, 14, opt into the beta program, and download and install the lastest beta. Thereafter, you should be getting the 5G network. In the future, regular iPhone updates will continue to support MTN 5G.

For Samsung, it's the same for some of their devices, especially flagships. However, unlike Apple, Samsung is yet to officially push support for MTN 5G. So, you may find that MTN 5G works on Samsung devices and not others, even though they are same model, but different variant.
Thanks really helpful smiley thoughts on getting 5G Mifi vs getting 5G phone of the same price?
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2022
ColeworldMD:
Thanks really helpful smiley thoughts on getting 5G Mifi vs getting 5G phone of the same price?
Get a 5G phone and if possible, get the MTN 5G router also. The advantage of a router or MiFi is that you can place them in spots where network is best in your house, and then connect to them from anywhere within your house.

By the way, I got some crazy speed somewhere in Wuse earlier today.

5 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Taofiq2005(m): 5:28pm On Dec 29, 2022
dustmalik:

Get a 5G phone and if possible, get the MTN 5G router also. The advantage of a router or MiFi is that you can place them in spots where network is best in your house, and then connect to them from anywhere within your house.

wow that is really an incredible speed. Which phone are you using?
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 5:59pm On Dec 29, 2022
Taofiq2005:
wow that is really an incredible speed. Which phone are you using?
Xiaomi Poco f4
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Taofiq2005(m): 6:15pm On Dec 29, 2022
dustmalik:

Xiaomi Poco f4
that was why you were able to achieve that speed, nice phone. Snapdragon 870 chipset right
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2022
Taofiq2005:
that was why you were able to achieve that speed, nice phone. Snapdragon 870 chipset right
The 5G X55 modem in the SD 870 is actually not as good as the modems in the flagship chipsets. So you will get faster speed using flagship devices.

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Taofiq2005(m): 7:00pm On Dec 29, 2022
dustmalik:

The 5G X55 modem in the SD 870 is actually not as good as the modems in the flagship chipsets. So you will get faster speed using flagship devices.
Xiaomi midrange phone are really good they offer better value for the money even samsung galaxy a73 using SD 778G that cost 350k is far behind poco f3 and f4 in term of performance and charging speed.

3 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 10:22pm On Dec 29, 2022
Taofiq2005:
Xiaomi midrange phone are really good they offer better value for the money even samsung galaxy a73 using SD 778G that cost 350k is far behind poco f3 and f4 in term of performance and charging speed.
I know the emboldened already, and that's why I have been using Xiaomi since 2017.
I think you misunderstood my previous statement, so I will make it clearer.
Each Snapdragon chipset comes with a specific network modem. The modem attached to the SD 870 is called X55, and it's been around since 2019. It's the same modem used in MTN 5G ZTE MC801A router. Flagship chipsets, like SD 8 Gen 1 use X65 modem, SD 8 Gen 2 use X70 modem. So, flagship 5G modems perform better than midrange modems.

6 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Taofiq2005(m): 11:22am On Dec 30, 2022
dustmalik:

I know the emboldened already, and that's why I have been using Xiaomi since 2017.
I think you misunderstood my previous statement, so I will make it clearer.
Each Snapdragon chipset comes with a specific network modem. The modem attached to the SD 870 is called X55, and it's been around since 2019. It's the same modem used in MTN 5G ZTE MC801A router. Flagship chipsets, like SD 8 Gen 1 use X65 modem, SD 8 Gen 2 use X70 modem. So, flagship 5G modems perform better than midrange modems.
i understand your previous statement that the 5g modem in sd 8 gen 1 and 8 gen 2 performs better than the 5g modem in sd 870. What I was trying to say was that I hardly see other OEM manufacture a phone with same performance as xiaomi midrange phone for that same price. And the sd x55 modem in the poco f3 is faster than most midrange phones with that same price. And the SD x55 modem in the SD870 is better than SD x53 in SD778G that is in most midrange phone with a higher price.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 10:11pm On Dec 31, 2022
dustmalik:

Thanks for your suggestion! Based on your speed, it's safe to assume MTN has some midwave or mmWave also deployed. Do you mind sharing the location? Would be useful for quick downloads!
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by MrOrfficial: 7:09am On Jan 01, 2023
Are mtn mifi plans faster than normal data plans?? i see they're more expensive.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 4:56pm On Jan 04, 2023
ColeworldMD:
Thanks for your suggestion! Based on your speed, it's safe to assume MTN has some midwave or mmWave also deployed. Do you mind sharing the location? Would be useful for quick downloads!
Sorry for the late response. The location is Wuse market.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 5:02pm On Jan 04, 2023
MrOrfficial:
Are mtn mifi plans faster than normal data plans?? i see they're more expensive.
MiFi and mobile phone plans are one and the same. Broadband plans are different, they are recommended for Hynetflex and 5G routers. However, MTN Hynetflex and 5G routers can also use MiFi and mobile phone plans, but broadband plans are recommended.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 5:06pm On Jan 04, 2023
Below speed was achieved earlier today at Conoil Filling station, Area 1

3 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Johnaina(m): 8:12pm On Jan 04, 2023
Hi, @dustmalik pls I would like to enquire about something from you, I sent an email message request
dustmalik:

I've gotten 5G in Maitama, Asokoro, Gudu, Kubwa. 5G is available in a lot of areas in Abuja. The devices i got the network are Nokia x10 and a ZTE MC801A 5G router.

What phone do you use?
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 10:25pm On Jan 04, 2023
Johnaina:
Hi, @dustmalik pls I would like to enquire about something from you, I sent an email message request
Hello Johnaina, I have replied your mail. Kindly check.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Johnaina(m): 4:09am On Jan 05, 2023
@dustmalik i just replied the mail now, thanks very much
dustmalik:

Hello Johnaina, I have replied your mail. Kindly check.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by netotse(m): 12:55pm On Jan 10, 2023
dustmalik:

MiFi and mobile phone plans are one and the same. Broadband plans are different, they are recommended for Hynetflex and 5G routers. However, MTN Hynetflex and 5G routers can also use MiFi and mobile phone plans, but broadband plans are recommended.

Why are broadband plans more desirable? I have accumulated data on the mobile plan so I'm wondering if the broadband plan offers any advantages that would warrant switching.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 10:56pm On Jan 10, 2023
dustmalik:

Got a 5g phone but unfortunately the network doesn't reach my house yet.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 2:18am On Jan 11, 2023
netotse:

Why are broadband plans more desirable? I have accumulated data on the mobile plan so I'm wondering if the broadband plan offers any advantages that would warrant switching.
To be honest, I've not observed any difference in terms of data performance or data depletion between Mobile/MiFi and Broadband plans. Though, when I spoke with an MTN staff who works in the broadband department, he told me that the broadband plans perform better than the regular ones. This, I am yet to observe myself.

4 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 2:20am On Jan 11, 2023
ColeworldMD:
Got a 5g phone but unfortunately the network doesn't reach my house yet.
Hopefully, 5G deployment reaches your location soon. Where is your location, by the way?
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by NinjaXmetahuman: 6:26pm On Jan 12, 2023
dustmalik:
niceee
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2023
dustmalik:

Hopefully, 5G deployment reaches your location soon. Where is your location, by the way?
axis btw garki 2 and apo. I checked their maps and they have coverage along that side but the service stops just before my house (at the back end). Also network is almost non existent indoors. Are you able to use it indoors?
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by ColeworldMD(m): 2:46pm On Jan 17, 2023
dustmalik:

To be honest, I've not observed any difference in terms of data performance or data depletion between Mobile/MiFi and Broadband plans. Though, when I spoke with an MTN staff who works in the broadband department, he told me that the broadband plans perform better than the regular ones. This, I am yet to observe myself.
it could be that theres no FUP (throttling) on broadband or it just marketing semantics!
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Coolhubs: 8:29am On Jan 19, 2023
Here's the thing:

I think the kind of data plan you buy from MTN has a lot to do with how fast your enjoy your browsing experience. I mostly subscribe to the MTN 1GB for 200 data plan I found on NetworkPalava website. The internet connection is superb and data consumption is not that high. You should do the same if you care...
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by oneclot: 11:14pm On Mar 22, 2023
5G network doesn't work. It is the same as 4G.
3G is even more stable.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by rookidmart: 11:26pm On Mar 22, 2023
oneclot:
It is fast on my 5G Nokia X20. I am getting about 1mb/s download speed

I don't know if the speed is higher than the aforementioned on the 5G router because I don't own one yet.
1Mbps is barely 3G speed, not to talk of 5G.
The modem on your phone can handle up to 2.5gbps (theoretically).

The slow speed could be from your location.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Peterlove11: 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2023
dustmalik:

This speed is insane.....which is faster, the router or the phone
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by dustmalik: 8:58pm On Jul 02, 2023
Peterlove11:

This speed is insane.....which is faster, the router or the phone
Well, i have gotten faster speeds on the Xiaomi Poco F4 compared to the MTN 5G routers. I've both MTN 5G routers, the ZTE MC801A and the ZLT X20.
Re: Has Anyone Bought The MTN 5G SIM Or Router, Please Share Your Experience. by Peterlove11: 11:31pm On Jul 02, 2023
dustmalik:

Well, i have gotten faster speeds on the Xiaomi Poco F4 compared to the MTN 5G routers. I've both MTN 5G routers, the ZTE MC801A and the ZLT X20.

That's cool, Between the routers which would you advise someone to get.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pls How Can I Identify A Fast Charger To Buy? / Unboxing Pictures Of The Tecno Phonepad 3 / Dangers Of Connecting To Free Wi-fi Networks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.