Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? (22487 Views)

Brain Drain Of Teachers In Private Schools: What's The Way Forward? / Cost Of NECO Registration In Private Schools / Fraud In Private Nursery/Pri Schl:Must A Child Buy A Book His Elder Ones Have? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by baralatie(m): 4:18pm On Sep 09, 2022
Johnjanrt:
No be where I dey. When proprietors dey form Lords. BTW why won't there be scarcity of teachers when they're shortchanged, underemployed and terribly exploited.
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by highbee02: 4:25pm On Sep 09, 2022
I'm here to read comments

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by dododawa1: 4:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
Money involved
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by justmondris: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2022
After collecting huge amount as school fees, they always like to pay teachers peanuts. Most of them always like to pay a graduate 20k and most of them don’t even pay during holidays. Which kind Job be the na ?

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Exceed15: 4:36pm On Sep 09, 2022
Most private schools do not have the interest of teachers at heart. They are always focusing buying more lands and building another school.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Vinnie2000(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2022
Truvelisback:
Buhari brought all these unnecessary hardship. The extreme high cost of living brought all these.

Ogbeni, Even during Jonathan and Obasanjo's time, Diz complains of Teaching has been there.. undecided

My concern is, If all Graduates are running away from teaching

What kind of Education will our Children Have in the Next Generation

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by snoopz: 4:43pm On Sep 09, 2022
Nigeria is the reason...
When i graduated and came here they were all saying they can't pay my money because i just graduated, I'm like se no be somewhere i go start as gov never start recruitment? 2 months i see say these employers no wan bend naso i quickly collect the next job offer 35k o i gats resume before 720 and close by 4 such that i no go get time for my sef, end of the term instead make Dem free us, we go use one week for training, the other for marketing holiday don finish, the third term holiday first week to rest, the next week summer class go start den the last 2 weeks we go use one do training the other to complete our lesson plan and the rest then when school resume, one week after resumption na half salary you go still collect...
I went home for Xmas last year and i didn't get dec salary until 30th of Dec that was when i made up my mind that I won't continue with that private school
January come i submitted cv to other big schools i didn't resume when others resumed madam dey call say where i dey to type print out class list, naso i tell her say I went for an interview and I've gotten a new offer but if she can increase my salary i will stay unto say my location is closer to the old job. I told her na 55k new employer wan dey pay me madam talk sa she go pay 45k , after thinking of transportation meanwhile I never get job offer o, she Sha fall for am 2nd week of jan i resumed Feb, i got a call to come for interview , i got the gov job... i no even tell her untill I collect my salary say i don get another job that was how i left the Private school job behind.
Na private schools wey no big dey treat staff anyhow give them duties on top the meager salary but those big schools get bigger salary and incentives with pension, butdem go use u die... so teachers are leaving for better offers and the ones that are ready to collect the meagre salary still dey on hold as per fg vs ASUU. Best of luck to that guy reading this message, hope dey but Nigeria go stretch you

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 09, 2022
The pay and the stress compare to other administrative jobs.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Truvelisback(m): 5:20pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Ogbeni, Even during Jonathan and Obasanjo's time, Diz complains of Teaching has been there.. undecided

My concern is, If all Graduates are running away from teaching

What kind of Education will our Children Have in the Next Generation
Then, it wasn't as terrible as this. The cost of living wasn't as terrible as this. The price of things are now going higher while salaries remains the same.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Lastanza: 5:47pm On Sep 09, 2022
Everyone here talking about paying the teachers the right salary. How many of you are ready to pay the right school fees. Even those that are paying peanuts as school fees are talking.

What I've come to understand about nigeria is that most people don't wants to go through the rigors of entrepreneurship. They want another person to take up the enormous challenge while they prefer to get employed by the same entrepreneur and paid well(soft life)

Even those that have the wherewithal to establish a factory or company would rather go for importation and import the same products they would have rather produced locally(same soft life and easy route)

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by LexNuel(m): 5:59pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

The driver now said 'Na so so Teachers dis Schools dey find?

'If dem dey see am, e for beta nah.The Guy next to me, said!

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

What is the cause of this?

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.

Being a teacher in a private school today has a lot of issues. Job security is a problem..I know some schools that don't employ less than 25.. so if you're employed at 23, you will be sacked in 2 years.. they are ways looking for teachers... plus nowadays, the way parents accuse teachers eh, hmm some schools will sack the teacher before hearing anything just to save face and also because na the parents dey pay salary.... plus the workload now in schools especially with the incorporation of technology into teaching without adequate training or renumerations...it just makes school teaching unbearably stressful...wahala plenty abeg.. especially in all these "wannabe I dey use British syllabus private lessons"

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Wale0073245(m): 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2022
Prolificgiant:
Their pay is not encouraging ,are u a professional in cleaning and reside in lagos call or chat i av a job for u
i get pesin ooo ma my guy very efficient and reliable abeg
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Redman44(m): 6:11pm On Sep 09, 2022
I just left my teaching job and joined another school for bigger pay. I was paid 25,000 naira per month for teaching Primary 3 and Primary 2 ( 13 subjects per class. 26 subjects in total. 26 class notes per week to be submitted sad. I did the job for 4 terms. My new job is better with just 2 subjects I am teaching . God dey.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
Not true, there is no scarcity of teachers, rather scarcity of employment to teach.
Don't compare your illiterate state to other states.
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by drololaaof: 6:41pm On Sep 09, 2022
All the points raised about poor remuneration are correct to the letter, unless govt look into it,this modern slavery will continue.
May the of Queen rest in peace.
Colonial masters pay us well, but our indigenous proprietors are weaker exploiters

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by ejimatic: 6:44pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:
Was in a Tricycle going home and observed that most Schools put a Vacancy for 'Teachers Wanted'.

He now told us he is a Private school teacher for 5yrs and that these days, Graduates ARE NO LONGER INTERESTED in teaching jobs!

That they are all into Plumbing, Tailoring, Graphics designs, Online selling, Bitcoin trade, Yahoo, Hookups, etc.

SO, THE QUESTION IS

If this Ugly trend continues, Who will Teach the New generation of Nigerian children

Or in 2035 or 2040, will Education in Nigeria be something, Dispensable or Optional

Pls move to FP. Tanx.
. 1 The teachers are not well paid. Private school owners in Nigeria are wicked. They only use you and dump you. 2 Government school teachers work less and get more money while private school teachers work more and pay Peanuts as sakaries. 3 Money people want fast money.They believe there are other engagements that give them money apart from 8to 5 private school teaching. These include 419 , scamming and yahoo yahoo.4 Attitude to work has changed drastically especially when private schools owe workers fir three months and more. Some don't even pay during holidayYet they will say they run International Schools ,Special schools, and all other embellished names. Ironically many private school teacher are far better than those in the Government schools

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Panda7(m): 7:02pm On Sep 09, 2022
i think due to demand for degrees, stressful time frames, poor wages, poor extra curricular activities and lack of general well-beings. combining teaching work and another work isn't a bad idea but schools should reconsider and review work loads and combining subjects and integrating into teachers normal life and well being.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by youngsahito(m): 8:05pm On Sep 09, 2022
Prolificgiant:
Their pay is not encouraging ,are u a professional in cleaning and reside in lagos call or chat i av a job for u
is the job still available?

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Ephatah: 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2022
The stress is plenty
The schools look down on the teacher
The parents and students talk down on the teacher
Abuja schools close 4 o'clock. It's hard. You teach, mark notes, follow up students for assignment who are not afraid anymore because they are not to be flogged. So they hardly do assignment.
Discipline levels are low. You can't teach someone that disrespects you. It's impossible
It gets harder to meet basic needs, so you have to engage in private lessons. The students still behave badly character wise.
Society does not value the teacher anymore.
Which is really sad.
It's like a ticking time bomb�
In the words of Asa.....there is fire on the mountain, .....one day we will run, wishing we had put out the fire.

4 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Cromagnon: 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2022
SocialJustice:
If not for the irresponsibility of government, there should be nothing like private school, especially those mushroom slave factory.
you are not wise
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Whoknowsme: 8:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
Nwunyeodogwu:
The pay is not even the main problem though it’s actually very low. These people will offer to pay you 20k for a month but they’ll keep on deducting your money for every little silly thing, at the end of the month you’ll be left with 10k or even less. School proprietors are usually very greedy and stingy, they are more wicked than Buhari. And they’ll use you to exhaustion, you’ll run errands for them even wipe their babies ass on top insult. You can’t make anything meaningful out of your life if you remain a private school teacher. They’ll even owe you salary and will never pay you. The best is to teach in a government school, the pay is really good plus pension and other benefits. It’s less stressful and you’ll have more time to yourself .
You're very correct. I knew what i saw in the hands of my proprietress. Always running errands for her. When i stopped that nonsense, it was a big quarrel but i left her and move forward. Till now, she still miss me. Some private school has money but they won't pay.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by ICEKING95(m): 8:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

SO, THE QUESTION IS

Pls move to FP. Tanx.
I am A private school teacher, and I will be quitting this year, the pay is very poor, it can't Carter for your need especially as a guy..
Been teaching for 7 years now, yet because I have O level , my highest salary is 15k coupled with other extra things I still help the management to take care of.. Yet she doesn't really show appreciation financially..
The watchword of Directors are "Teachers rewards are in heaven"
A beg I'm done with that crap. I want heaven on earth...

Real soon, I believe all private school teachers will leave The occupation for School owners to perform the whole duty themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Fantazy(m): 8:47pm On Sep 09, 2022
Vinnie2000:

SO, THE QUESTION IS

Pls move to FP. Tanx.

I am a private school teacher, I have been working in this school for six years now (started with 15k as salary, now 21k.) Is this how one will build house, buy car(s) and become financially stable? No na! I gats run away make SAPA no finish me if I see any better way.
I no even get girlfriend self as I no say I go just dey deceive myself

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Strokes: 9:27pm On Sep 09, 2022
You can’t make anything meaningful out of your life if you remain a private school teacher.

Anyway, it depends on how good you are, the environment you put yourself and how well you know how to make money. I am a private school teacher and I make an average of 600k monthly.
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by saxtaiwo: 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2022
Strokes:
You can’t make anything meaningful out of your life if you remain a private school teacher.

Anyway, it depends on how good you are, the environment you put yourself and how well you know how to make money. I am a private school teacher and I make an average of 600k monthly.
Oga show us the way na, abeg, I'm a teacher too
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Melagros(m): 10:36pm On Sep 09, 2022
HarlequinLekex:
No matter how good a government is there will always be private schools and universities,just that those pako joined ones should not be allowed to exist.
He doesn't know
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Prolificgiant(m): 11:28pm On Sep 09, 2022
youngsahito:
is the job still available?
yes ikorodu
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Prolificgiant(m): 11:29pm On Sep 09, 2022
Wale0073245:
i get pesin ooo ma my guy very efficient and reliable abeg
the place is ikorodu
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Prolificgiant(m): 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2022
dchamp234:

Dm your WhatsApp number.
its on my signature
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Wale0073245(m): 11:31pm On Sep 09, 2022
Prolificgiant:
the place is ikorodu
d guy dey stay for berger oworo,drop ur info so you guys can discuss
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Prolificgiant(m): 11:35pm On Sep 09, 2022
Wale0073245:
d guy dey stay for berger oworo,drop ur info so you guys can discuss
its on my signature
Re: Scarcity Of Teachers In Private Schools: What Is The Cause and the Way Forward? by Paulianfa(m): 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2022
So many conditions may attached to it,
1, poor salary
2, Teaching environment
3, enslavement
4, Uniforms... Why do teachers put on uniform to school, mehn I hate it.
And so on

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Daughter’s Expulsion: Niran Malaolu Battles Trinity International College Ogun / 4 Uniabuja Students Killed In Auto Crash (photo) / IPPIS: ASUU Plunged FG Into N800bn Debt, Says Ngige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.